AVS Forum banner

39721 - 39740 of 40633 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,750 Posts
Yes, the 2x4 HD has 4 outputs.

The problem is that muscles wants to use the 2x4 HDs as crossover because his pre-pro does not have a crossover.

Therefore, he needs something that has 2 inputs, and 6 outputs (L, R, and 4 subs).

Since he already has a miniDSP 2x4 HD, I suggested getting another. Doing so is cheaper than getting the 4x10 HD or 10x10 HD.

MiniDSP 2x4 HDs are also very small and can be tucked away easier than a 4x10 HD or 10x10 HD.
OK makes sense. But, a pre-pro without a crossover??? :confused::confused::confused: Sounds like its time for a good pre-pro or AVR.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Holy goodness. JTR 215 RTs in the house! Mild heart attack occurred after I got these things positioned down in the theater. Decided to play a few songs prior to audessey and knew immediately something was wrong. Checked amp, pre amp, connections, decided to go ahead and run audessey and problem persisted. While standing by the speakers exasperated (45-60 mins of stress) I noticed the foam plug in the horn. All was right with the world when I removed these protective gremlins.

I ran audessey again anyway and have been listening on and off. First impressions: didn’t know what dynamic range was until these speakers. The noise floor reached new depths. Was really worried with ultra high sensitivity speakers that hiss would be a problem. Nope. Ultra quiet. The delta between quiet and peak dB seems really intensified. Clarity is off the charts. I am coming from Definitive BP 7000’s. Underrated speakers that can handle 1000 watts and have a huge soundstage. Compared to the definitives - well there is just so much more detail and instrument separation. Even though the JTR’s are massive, I expected them to sound smaller and more focused than the bipolar and diffuse definitives (again, when setup properly with lots of space, bp7000’s are massively underrated for their huge image and soundstage). Well the JTR 215’s throw a soundstage just as wide but with more detail, clarity, dynamics, and instrument separation. Definitely surprised me. Did not expect this. I have been listening to many tracks I have that are 96/24 and other content I am very familiar with. I am just hearing details in songs I have been listening to for decades that I have never heard.

Look, I am a lucky guy. I also have 4 Deep Sea Sound 24” subs. It may be because I have re run audessey or changed something but I am noticing mid bass/bass in my chest that I have not felt before. Was listening to NIN and just got a huge smile and chills. Just freaking amazing. No distortion, synth sounds crazy good, and these speakers get along great with my subs. So happy.

Best part, I was able to pick up the phone this afternoon and call JTR to tell Jeff the speakers arrived in perfect condition and were up and running - with some foam plug anxiety. Just freaking cool to be able to call up the man behind the business and provide praise and feedback. Couldn’t be more pleased so far. I anticipate filling the basement with JTR.

·
Registered
770 Posts
OK makes sense. But, a pre-pro without a crossover??? :confused::confused::confused: Sounds like its time for a good pre-pro or AVR.
Considering it was 7000$ I don't think I will be looking to upgrade it anytime soon. I have an AVR for movies (SR8012) but as most of us know music through any AVR sounds awful once you've heard something separate. The McIntosh doesn't have distance or crossovers for its outputs. It plays music with the least amount of changes possible. It is much clearer and much louder than my AVR could ever hope to be. It is indispensable in my setup, I can't live without it.

I have kind of found a workaround for this and will experiment with it tomorrow.

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,169 Posts
I am thinking about upgrading my front soundstage LRC.

I currently have Klipsch:

Klipsch 440C - C
Klipsch RP 280F LR
Klipsch RP 250S side surrounds
Klipsch RP 160M rear surrounds
with two Captivator 2400s ULF

and I am considering JTR:

L - 212RT or 210RT
C - 210RM
R - 212RT or 210RT
with two Captivator 2400s ULF

and eventually the following if it would be better than the 250S and 160M:

LSR - S8
RSR - S8
BSR - S8
BSR - S8

How would the above JTR compare to Klipsch RF 7iii speakers?

It will be for 85%+ movies in an open 25x25 ft living room with 18 ft ceilings.

We watch iTunes Atmos movies at about -10db and BluRay / other movies that seem louder at about -15 to -20db which is "equal" to iTunes at -10db.

i’d say go for it....i’ve never heard the Klipsch but the JTR’s i’ve had in my house (228ht’s and 110ht’s) compare very well against speakers costing a lot more.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,750 Posts
Considering it was 7000$ I don't think I will be looking to upgrade it anytime soon. I have an AVR for movies (SR8012) but as most of us know music through any AVR sounds awful once you've heard something separate. The McIntosh doesn't have distance or crossovers for its outputs. It plays music with the least amount of changes possible. It is much clearer and much louder than my AVR could ever hope to be. It is indispensable in my setup, I can't live without it.

I have kind of found a workaround for this and will experiment with it tomorrow.

Greg
I definitely agree that you, or probably anyone with a setup like that, hears a difference. However, I would be very curious to see if it could be told apart from you Marantz AVR when used within their clean output capabilities in a properly conducted listening test.

My belief is that the differences in measured performance between a $7,000 amp vs a very good quality AVR are inaudible in a properly controlled listening test. We just can't hear .01% distortion. Once distortion and noise are below the threshold of human hearing...as many good AVR's are...the only difference is power if it is needed, which of course a good separate amp can supply.

We all have our beliefs and freedom to choose our gear, but I acknowledge the fact that some of what we hear is not due to what is *actually* there, but rather what we perceive. And this is unavoidably affected by more than what is actually there. It's a fact of being human. Once we acknowledge this indisputable scientific fact, we have to ask ourselves what we can *really* hear vs what we can *actuallly* hear due to a non imaginary change in sound. Knowing that peoples subjective impressions of how an amp or AVR sounds cannot be verified when listening in a well controlled listening test...in other words, the subjectively preferred high end gear can't be detected when listening blind.....I choose to base purchase decisions on measured performance and not cost.

You said "most of us know music through any AVR sounds awful once you've heard something separate". I agree this is a commonly held belief by audiophiles, but I don't think it is true, as many others don't. One view can be proven with accurate double blind listening tests. The other viewpoint cannot.

It sounds like adding another miniDSP 2x4HD would in fact allow you to have the control you are missing.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I definitely agree that you, or probably anyone with a setup like that, hears a difference. However, I would be very curious to see if it could be told apart from you Marantz AVR when used within their clean output capabilities in a properly conducted listening test.

My belief is that the differences in measured performance between a $7,000 amp vs a very good quality AVR are inaudible in a properly controlled listening test. We just can't hear .01% distortion. Once distortion and noise are below the threshold of human hearing...as many good AVR's are...the only difference is power if it is needed, which of course a good separate amp can supply.

We all have our beliefs and freedom to choose our gear, but I acknowledge the fact that some of what we hear is not due to what is *actually* there, but rather what we perceive. And this is unavoidably affected by more than what is actually there. It's a fact of being human. Once we acknowledge this indisputable scientific fact, we have to ask ourselves what we can *really* hear vs what we can *actuallly* hear due to a non imaginary change in sound. Knowing that peoples subjective impressions of how an amp or AVR sounds cannot be verified when listening in a well controlled listening test...in other words, the subjectively preferred high end gear can't be detected when listening blind.....I choose to base purchase decisions on measured performance and not cost.

You said "most of us know music through any AVR sounds awful once you've heard something separate". I agree this is a commonly held belief by audiophiles, but I don't think it is true, as many others don't. One view can be proven with accurate double blind listening tests. The other viewpoint cannot.

It sounds like adding another miniDSP 2x4HD would in fact allow you to have the control you are missing.

No, not even remotely. I think it has something to do with the DAC and the fact that it is a tube PRE. Output voltage seems to be higher. Absolutely no one would say they sound remotely similar. It was one of the biggest changes/upgrades I have ever done. That's like saying all phono preamps are the same, a cheap one vs a good one is more than a night and day difference. I have a 3000$ AVR and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good, I would gladly demo it back to back for anyone. Music is so much more dynamic, loud, and powerful through the mcintosh. My dealer let me borrow it without paying because he knew I wouldn't be able to go back to listening through my AVR. Is it true that some people might not be able to tell a difference? If I demoed it for you, you would see there is no need to waste time on a double blind, its radically different. I don't hold on to gear that I don't love, I move audio gear constantly. This is a necessity for music lovers.

I can't use the minidsp for my mains. They are fine for low frequency stuff but they introduce too much noise to anything over 500hz. I have to get a bit creative. I might try running just the JTR subs for a while. They might sound ok for music as long as I don't try to have them run with the Rythmiks.

Greg

·
Registered
289 Posts
Holy goodness. JTR 215 RTs in the house! Mild heart attack occurred after I got these things positioned down in the theater. Decided to play a few songs prior to audessey and knew immediately something was wrong. Checked amp, pre amp, connections, decided to go ahead and run audessey and problem persisted. While standing by the speakers exasperated (45-60 mins of stress) I noticed the foam plug in the horn. All was right with the world when I removed these protective gremlins.

I ran audessey again anyway and have been listening on and off. First impressions: didn’t know what dynamic range was until these speakers. The noise floor reached new depths. Was really worried with ultra high sensitivity speakers that hiss would be a problem. Nope. Ultra quiet. The delta between quiet and peak dB seems really intensified. Clarity is off the charts. I am coming from Definitive BP 7000’s. Underrated speakers that can handle 1000 watts and have a huge soundstage. Compared to the definitives - well there is just so much more detail and instrument separation. Even though the JTR’s are massive, I expected them to sound smaller and more focused than the bipolar and diffuse definitives (again, when setup properly with lots of space, bp7000’s are massively underrated for their huge image and soundstage). Well the JTR 215’s throw a soundstage just as wide but with more detail, clarity, dynamics, and instrument separation. Definitely surprised me. Did not expect this. I have been listening to many tracks I have that are 96/24 and other content I am very familiar with. I am just hearing details in songs I have been listening to for decades that I have never heard.

Look, I am a lucky guy. I also have 4 Deep Sea Sound 24” subs. It may be because I have re run audessey or changed something but I am noticing mid bass/bass in my chest that I have not felt before. Was listening to NIN and just got a huge smile and chills. Just freaking amazing. No distortion, synth sounds crazy good, and these speakers get along great with my subs. So happy.

Best part, I was able to pick up the phone this afternoon and call JTR to tell Jeff the speakers arrived in perfect condition and were up and running - with some foam plug anxiety. Just freaking cool to be able to call up the man behind the business and provide praise and feedback. Couldn’t be more pleased so far. I anticipate filling the basement with JTR.
Wow,sounds freaking awesome! What are you driving the 215's with? I have 210's on order and was wondering if my Audiocontrol amps are enough to drive JTR speakers well. It says 300w in to 4 ohms so I assume so. Congrats on the 215's!

·
Registered
328 Posts
I've had the pleasure of hearing Greg's 2-Ch system in person and it's stellar! I think that any of us here on the forum would absolutely love what he has put together.

I have also previously journeyed from an AVR to separates and experienced a huge improvement when doing so, especially with 2-Ch critical music listening. We all have our individual preferences, limitations and budgets, but I am a believer in the quality differences.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
No, not even remotely. I think it has something to do with the DAC and the fact that it is a tube PRE. Output voltage seems to be higher. Absolutely no one would say they sound remotely similar. It was one of the biggest changes/upgrades I have ever done. That's like saying all phono preamps are the same, a cheap one vs a good one is more than a night and day difference. I have a 3000$ AVR and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good, I would gladly demo it back to back for anyone. Music is so much more dynamic, loud, and powerful through the mcintosh. My dealer let me borrow it without paying because he knew I wouldn't be able to go back to listening through my AVR. Is it true that some people might not be able to tell a difference? If I demoed it for you, you would see there is no need to waste time on a double blind, its radically different. I don't hold on to gear that I don't love, I move audio gear constantly. This is a necessity for music lovers.

I can't use the minidsp for my mains. They are fine for low frequency stuff but they introduce too much noise to anything over 500hz. I have to get a bit creative. I might try running just the JTR subs for a while. They might sound ok for music as long as I don't try to have them run with the Rythmiks.

Greg
In the end, what matters for you is that you are happy with and enjoy your system. If we lived closer I would love to have the opportunity to demo our systems for each other, although mine is far less costly and may not seem overly impressive. I would actually be *very* interested in doing an A/B blind level matched listening test with quick switching. See if a handful of folks could reliably pick out whether the Macintosh or AVR were playing, then compare the results to a test where we all knew when the more expensive gear was in use. My beliefs tell me the two results would come out vastly different but if that's not the case I would find it very interesting!

I do try to keep an open mind so I would actually find it very cool if listeners could tell the difference in blind testing that is not attributed to baked in eq, audible distortion, or operating outside of capability.

Is the McIntosh linear in its response and low distortion/noise?

I've been *slightly* considering the idea of an external amp for my LCR but I have a lot of doubts as to whether it would be worth such a large investment. I think my top two contenders would be the Monolith 3/5/7 channel or the Nord 3 channel Hypex NC500, but not opposed to other options if I decide to go this route.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Wow,sounds freaking awesome! What are you driving the 215's with? I have 210's on order and was wondering if my Audiocontrol amps are enough to drive JTR speakers well. It says 300w in to 4 ohms so I assume so. Congrats on the 215's!
Congratulations on your purchase! Will you be using a sub or running full range? If you are unsure about your amp just call Jeff or just search the thread as I am sure someone has a similar combo. With a 95 db sensitivity you don't need much.

I am using a Sunfire TGA 7401 (800 watts @ 4 ohms x 7) and a Marrantz pre-pro.

·
Registered
471 Posts
In the end, what matters for you is that you are happy with and enjoy your system. If we lived closer I would love to have the opportunity to demo our systems for each other, although mine is far less costly and may not seem overly impressive. I would actually be *very* interested in doing an A/B blind level matched listening test with quick switching. See if a handful of folks could reliably pick out whether the Macintosh or AVR were playing, then compare the results to a test where we all knew when the more expensive gear was in use. My beliefs tell me the two results would come out vastly different but if that's not the case I would find it very interesting!

I do try to keep an open mind so I would actually find it very cool if listeners could tell the difference in blind testing that is not attributed to baked in eq, audible distortion, or operating outside of capability.

Is the McIntosh linear in its response and low distortion/noise?

I've been *slightly* considering the idea of an external amp for my LCR but I have a lot of doubts as to whether it would be worth such a large investment. I think my top two contenders would be the Monolith 3/5/7 channel or the Nord 3 channel Hypex NC500, but not opposed to other options if I decide to go this route.
I have the Nord 3 channel Hypex NC500 and I've actually done a blind listening test with it, an Emotiva XPA3 Gen 3, and a 2019 Yamaha Aventage line AVR. I think it's a great amp, and I'm glad I bought it, even with the super sensitive JTRs.

FWIW, there were 3 of us in the blind test(single blind), and none of us could reliably "prefer" the same amp. We did a preference blind instead of one where we tried to just identify the difference. Preferences were mostly random. I honestly can't say they sounded the same, but they were at the very least similar enough to the point where none of us could seem to consistently prefer one over the other.

A couple caveats about the blind, though.

1. Our switch time between A/B was way too long. I'd guess it was under a minute, but probably still around 30 seconds or more. Most research I've seen seems to say that the switch time needs to be more like a few seconds. I'm not sure I completely buy that it has to be that low for loudspeakers(I've done 2 loudspeaker blinds and didn't have a problem maintaining preferences), but for amplifiers, where the sound differences are much smaller, I agree. It was very hard to remember sounds in between A and B.

2. This was my first amplifier blind test and only my 3rd audio blind. I love blind testing and I have a database I keep with over 1,200 blinds that I've done, but 95%+ of that experience is with blind taste testing beers. I'm new to the audio thing. I do think that with some formal training on what to actually listen for, I might be able to maintain more consistent preferences. In the very small number of audio blinds I've done, I find my self constantly switching my listening "strategy". Do I listen for specific sounds and try to remember in detail how those sounded? Do I try to take in the experience as a whole? I seem to flip flop back and forth, and I'm sure this is sub-optimal.

3. Blind testing is hard, and I don't think that us not hearing differences means that no difference existed. I think there's a very high chance of false negatives. I've got a lot of experience with blind taste testing, and the same is true there. For example, consistently picking between the 3 main light American lagers is actually somewhat difficult under blind conditions, yet they really do taste different. One of the most surprising blinds I did was actually with Skittles candy. Skittles definitely all have a different flavor, but I was only able to consistently identify the red(strawberry).

4. None of the amps we tested were of the caliber of muscles' McIntosh, and all 3 products were in the $1-$2k range. His amp also uses tubes, which from what I've read, sound quite a bit different(never heard tubes myself).

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get two of the Nord Amps and the cheapest Denon AVR with preouts. The Emotiva is great as well, but I've had a few issues with popping sounds every now and then, and it's a bit larger.

Even if the Nord amp itself doesn't sound all that much better than my AVR, the fact that it allows me to use https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a to EQ the bass below 500hz DRASTICALLY improves the overall sound of my system. It's possible it's just my room, but I went through 3 AVRs with 3 different room correction systems(YPAO, Audessy, and whatever Pioneer uses) before finally getting an AVR with preouts and integrating an external amp and a processor with Dirac Live. Audessy was the best of the AVR room corrections I tried, but I'd still say it was more of a side-grade at best, and the other room corrections actually made the sound worse. I've got a custom(Harman inspired sub 500hz) curve that I load into the box, and with that, Dirac greatly improves the sound of my system. In terms of performance/price, it's some of the best money I've ever spent. I also have a miniDSP 2x4 HD that I plan to integrate to better time align my front and rear subs. At the moment, I'm just using REW and the manual delay knob on the closer sub.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I have the Nord 3 channel Hypex NC500 and I've actually done a blind listening test with it, an Emotiva XPA3 Gen 3, and a 2019 Yamaha Aventage line AVR. I think it's a great amp, and I'm glad I bought it, even with the super sensitive JTRs.

FWIW, there were 3 of us in the blind test(single blind), and none of us could reliably "prefer" the same amp. We did a preference blind instead of one where we tried to just identify the difference. Preferences were mostly random. I honestly can't say they sounded the same, but they were at the very least similar enough to the point where none of us could seem to consistently prefer one over the other.

A couple caveats about the blind, though.

1. Our switch time between A/B was way too long. I'd guess it was under a minute, but probably still around 30 seconds or more. Most research I've seen seems to say that the switch time needs to be more like a few seconds. I'm not sure I completely buy that it has to be that low for loudspeakers(I've done 2 loudspeaker blinds and didn't have a problem maintaining preferences), but for amplifiers, where the sound differences are much smaller, I agree. It was very hard to remember sounds in between A and B.

2. This was my first amplifier blind test and only my 3rd audio blind. I love blind testing and I have a database I keep with over 1,200 blinds that I've done, but 95%+ of that experience is with blind taste testing beers. I'm new to the audio thing. I do think that with some formal training on what to actually listen for, I might be able to maintain more consistent preferences. In the very small number of audio blinds I've done, I find my self constantly switching my listening "strategy". Do I listen for specific sounds and try to remember in detail how those sounded? Do I try to take in the experience as a whole? I seem to flip flop back and forth, and I'm sure this is sub-optimal.

3. Blind testing is hard, and I don't think that us not hearing differences means that no difference existed. I think there's a very high chance of false negatives. I've got a lot of experience with blind taste testing, and the same is true there. For example, consistently picking between the 3 main light American lagers is actually somewhat difficult under blind conditions, yet they really do taste different. One of the most surprising blinds I did was actually with Skittles candy. Skittles definitely all have a different flavor, but I was only able to consistently identify the red(strawberry).

4. None of the amps we tested were of the caliber of muscles' McIntosh, and all 3 products were in the $1-$2k range. His amp also uses tubes, which from what I've read, sound quite a bit different(never heard tubes myself).

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably get two of the Nord Amps and the cheapest Denon AVR with preouts. The Emotiva is great as well, but I've had a few issues with popping sounds every now and then, and it's a bit larger.

Even if the Nord amp itself doesn't sound all that much better than my AVR, the fact that it allows me to use https://www.minidsp.com/products/dirac-series/ddrc-88a to EQ the bass below 500hz DRASTICALLY improves the overall sound of my system. It's possible it's just my room, but I went through 3 AVRs with 3 different room correction systems(YPAO, Audessy, and whatever Pioneer uses) before finally getting an AVR with preouts and integrating an external amp and a processor with Dirac Live. Audessy was the best of the AVR room corrections I tried, but I'd still say it was more of a side-grade at best, and the other room corrections actually made the sound worse. I've got a custom(Harman inspired sub 500hz) curve that I load into the box, and with that, Dirac greatly improves the sound of my system. In terms of performance/price, it's some of the best money I've ever spent. I also have a miniDSP 2x4 HD that I plan to integrate to better time align my front and rear subs. At the moment, I'm just using REW and the manual delay knob on the closer sub.
Very cool test, thanks for sharing. One thing that has really stood out in my reading is that a test such as what you did would end up with much difference preferences when sighted i.e. knowing which equipment is playing. Its just an indisputable fact that the size, look, reputation, and expectations we have about a product absolutely affect what we hear. It's not possible to turn this bias off or "try" to be unbiased.

I don't use Dirac but I do use the Audysey app to limit eq to below 500 Hz since I use very well designed speakers. I let Audysey do most of the work on my subs but I also have external eq to tweak them more to taste if desired.

I basically have my endgame system for what I am willing to spend. A shiny new external amp has its appeal but I too strongly fear that 99.9% of the time it just won't matter. Maybe on reference level movie playback....which is not how I use my setup.

I've been listening to music streaming in the background in Dolby Surround around -40 MV all day from Spotify premium on my Apple TV 4k. Will probably watch the first Hobbit movie with my daughter today at -20 to absolute max -10 MV. In neither of these scenarios do I see even a superb amp such as the Nord making any real audible difference.

I saw a test on ASR of a $6,000 DAC that performed horribly.......I can't understand how someone would blindly spend that much money without any proof of superior sound quality other than marketing spin and probably some worthless subjective reviews on an audiophile website......:confused: Now, I will bet they perceived amazing differences in sound quality when they bought their shiny new gear in a fancy case....its too bad they were just imagined. I'm not willing to spend money on imaginary differences.

How long have you owned the Nord...has everything gone well with it i.e. service and communication, shipping from Nord?

Incredible measured performance.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Very cool test, thanks for sharing. One thing that has really stood out in my reading is that a test such as what you did would end up with much difference preferences when sighted i.e. knowing which equipment is playing. Its just an indisputable fact that the size, look, reputation, and expectations we have about a product absolutely affect what we hear. It's not possible to turn this bias off or "try" to be unbiased.

I don't use Dirac but I do use the Audysey app to limit eq to below 500 Hz since I use very well designed speakers. I let Audysey do most of the work on my subs but I also have external eq to tweak them more to taste if desired.

I basically have my endgame system for what I am willing to spend. A shiny new external amp has its appeal but I too strongly fear that 99.9% of the time it just won't matter. Maybe on reference level movie playback....which is not how I use my setup.

I've been listening to music streaming in the background in Dolby Surround around -40 MV all day from Spotify premium on my Apple TV 4k. Will probably watch the first Hobbit movie with my daughter today at -20 to absolute max -10 MV. In neither of these scenarios do I see even a superb amp such as the Nord making any real audible difference.

I saw a test on ASR of a $6,000 DAC that performed horribly.......I can't understand how someone would blindly spend that much money without any proof of superior sound quality other than marketing spin and probably some worthless subjective reviews on an audiophile website......:confused: Now, I will bet they perceived amazing differences in sound quality when they bought their shiny new gear in a fancy case....its too bad they were just imagined. I'm not willing to spend money on imaginary differences.

How long have you owned the Nord...has everything gone well with it i.e. service and communication, shipping from Nord?

Incredible measured performance.
Yeah, sounds like you listen much quieter than I do, so maybe it wouldn't do you as much good. I'd say most of my serious listening is in the 92-98db(at the mlp) range if I'm just listening, and not browsing the internet simultaneously; usually 82-88db for listening and reading simultaneously, which is more often than not. I've had 20 minute sessions though of pop/dance/rock music over 110db and a few 1812 Overture sessions where it gets to 120db by the end when the cannons kick in.

That said, I wouldn't underestimate how much Dirac Live might improve the sound over Audessy. I'm hesitant to recommend it to you based off that though, as my guess is these room correction systems probably depend heavily on the room :p. For my room, though, Dirac was a huge upgrade. You can get Dirac without the Nord amp, though, but I do think you do need a separate amp, unless you have an AVR with it built in.

I've had the Nord amp for about a month, but I've had the Emotiva + Dirac processor for a yearish? I've had great experience with Nord customer service. I was a bit worried after reading some reports on another forum, but I told them I was in the USA for the 120v option and they shipped within a couple days of building it.

Code:
20 5
40 5
70 4
100 2
140 -0.75
200 -1.75
300 -2
400 -2
That's the slope I give to Dirac and it spits out an awesome sound.

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you listen much quieter than I do, so maybe it wouldn't do you as much good. I'd say most of my serious listening is in the 92-98db(at the mlp) range if I'm just listening, and not browsing the internet simultaneously; usually 82-88db for listening and reading simultaneously, which is more often than not. I've had 20 minute sessions though of pop/dance/rock music over 110db and a few 1812 Overture sessions where it gets to 120db by the end when the cannons kick in.
Glad to see I'm not the only one trying to destroy my hearing. That almost exactly describes my listening habits, although my favorite track isn't the 1812 Overture, but Capriccio Italien, assuming the same SACD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking for advice and opinions. I have a dedicated music room that is currently running:

• Emotiva XSP-a Preamp
  • Pair of Emotiva XPA-1 Monoblocks
  • PSB Synchrony One speakers
  • Pair of SVS SB13 Ultra subwoofers
The PSB's are great for 90% of my listening. However, when it comes time to really have fun, the PSB's seem to break-up/compress as the volume increases. Really fun to me means recreating live concerts. That has led me to a horn-type speaker. I had my mind pretty set for a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls, but during my research I found someone suggesting JTR. After reading as much as I could, and spending quite a bit of time in this thread, I feel like the JTR 212RT or 215RT would be a good fit for me.

That said, I could use some help! My room's floor plan is attached, but the listening area is essentially 16.5' long by 14.5' with 8' ceilings. I like the idea of ditching the subs, remember this is for music only, and relying solely on the main speakers. Here are the questions I'm hoping you can help me with:

• 212RT only?
  • 212RT and keep the subs?
  • 215RT only?
  • 215RT and keep the subs?
  • 210RT and subs???
  • Something different altogether???
  • Any suggestions on the room setup? I am open to moving everything around if you think it would yield a better setup.
Thank you for your help!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I'm looking for advice and opinions. I have a dedicated music room that is currently running:

• Emotiva XSP-a Preamp
The PSB's are great for 90% of my listening. However, when it comes time to really have fun, the PSB's seem to break-up/compress as the volume increases. Really fun to me means recreating live concerts. That has led me to a horn-type speaker. I had my mind pretty set for a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls, but during my research I found someone suggesting JTR. After reading as much as I could, and spending quite a bit of time in this thread, I feel like the JTR 212RT or 215RT would be a good fit for me.

That said, I could use some help! My room's floor plan is attached, but the listening area is essentially 16.5' long by 14.5' with 8' ceilings. I like the idea of ditching the subs, remember this is for music only, and relying solely on the main speakers. Here are the questions I'm hoping you can help me with:

• 212RT only?
  • 215RT only?
  • 210RT and subs???
  • Any suggestions on the room setup? I am open to moving everything around if you think it would yield a better setup.
What type of music? My first thought would be the 212RT because it is so sensitive, but if you listen to any music with deep bass then the 215RT would be my pick as you truly do not need a sub with this speaker.

The 215RT’s will make the SVS SB13’s sound like nice little Bluetooth speakers 😃 - I have both.

Another option would be the 215RM’s. They should get nice room gain in that size room and may extend lower than the 215RT’s.

I have also had Cornwalls and while they sounded really good, the 215RT’s are much, much nicer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What type of music? My first thought would be the 212RT because it is so sensitive, but if you listen to any music with deep bass then the 215RT would be my pick as you truly do not need a sub with this speaker.
Music is pretty much everything except country. It ranges from Smashing Pumpkins to Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lake Street Dive to LCD Soundsystem, so pretty much anything. Live music is mostly live streaming (and also listening later) to Phish shows. But, if I can find a live version I'll listen: Mutemath, Dave Matthews, Jason Mraz, Grateful Dead, etc.... There are occasional times pop/rap comes into play. My wife likes that music, but I just like the room shaking bass...the pair of SVS can reach deeper than I imagined with some authority. Billie Elish's "Like it Like That" really caught me off-guard when the bass hit during the chorus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking for new Home Theater speaker suggestions? We are moving and we sold all our speakers with the theater but i kept all the electronics. Will need to match what I’ve got so here it is...(ps old speakers were 3-tower Axiom M80hp’s behind screen and matching book shelfs for surrounds.)

Future home has
Dedicated HT 3200cu.ft. 23.5x14.5x9 fully sealed and treated.

My equipment:
Marantz preamp and 11channels of 3rd Gen EMOTIVA amps

I Want a full 7.2.4 setup with a huge soundstage, but not sure if i need or want $7,000 worth of surround speakers to match. I did ask the folks at JTR, but i made the mistake of putting a price on it.... so I’m afraid they just suggested what fit that. I can add 1 peace at a time if needed to accommodate the budget but i don’t want any regrets.

I have personal listened to their subs, but never any of their full range gear. My first thought was 3-210ht’s for LCR but maybe the 210rt’s would give a bigger impact?(Over kill?)
Also looking at a pair of captivator 2400’s or rs1’s or rs2’s. What are your thoughts and is anyone in the Atlanta area that could let me listen to the JTR’s? What would be a good alternative to the 110HT’s for surrounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,781 Posts

• Emotiva XSP-a Preamp

• 212RT only?
  • 215RT only?
  • 210RT and subs???
215s and no subs. I have close to the same sized room, the 215s in full range mode have tons of bass. They are spectacular.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Any JTR owners in the north Atlanta area here? I would love to hear the line before i drop $10,000 on speakers. Trying to decide on wether i want to delve into the DIY or bite the bullet and get something like 3-212’s or 210’s and 4-110’s for the theater

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39721 - 39740 of 40633 Posts