AVS Forum banner

40321 - 40340 of 40599 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Someone recorded the following with a cellphone. He has the Klipsch RP-8000Fs, RP-504C and QSC SB-7218:

I recorded the same clip with an iphone X. I have the 212HTs and Cap 4000ULF:

They should provide a pretty good representation of the two. :)
First off - thanks very much for putting that comparison together. Even just in those two videos, I can hear the missing midrange with the Klipsch. When switching to the other video I can hear the voice fullness pop in immediately. I really don't understand why Klipsch does the V-Shaped thing - once you notice it you can't ignore it.

JTR's sound like a MUCH more tonally balanced presentation.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hey everyone

I had nerve damage to my right ear. Still after several years, I get occasional ringing. This worried me some because I love HT loud and some music. I currently have Sierre Towers and found the Raal Tweeters to not fatigue my ears and no ringing thus far. But I want more kick and umph. I have been lusting after the Noesis 212RT and was wondering about the horn mid-tweet. Are they fatiguing to the ears like the klipsch speaker horns? I asked Jeff, he said they were fairly neutral but not laid back. What do you think?
I will give my .02 cents here. I came from an audiophile grade speaker (Martin Logan 13a Expression) before getting the JTR Noesis 212RT's. I also owned the original RF7's about 5 years or so ago. The JTR Noesis 212RT is a high sensitivity speaker, so if you are putting some power to it, they will hurt your ears with their prodigious output. My old speakers weren't even capable of making my ears ring from their output....JTR's do it in a hurry if you aren't careful. In 2 channel mode with 600watt McIntosh Mono-blocks they can get so loud that you have to leave the room, but they remain free from distortion or discoloration. They are a tiny bit bright, but no where near the Klipsch. They sound very good at low/med volumes too. I find that I can get ear fatigue from them pretty easily, but that is more due to volume and type of music. If I listen at volumes that aren't super loud they are easy to get lost in. The soundstage is amazing, and they have crystal clear highs. Mid bass slam is some of the best I have heard from any speaker. I love running them even without the subs. I have probably logged over 500 hours of listening time on them and I am still discovering new things in old songs.

That was my feelings for music....for movies I will keep it short and sweet. I haven't heard anything for movies that can compete with them period! The first time you watch a movie all the way through at -10 MV or less your mouth will hang open. Gun shots hit, explosions explode! It is so dang immersive. My favorite has to be how clear JTR's are for center channel duty. I have always struggled with most manufacturers center channel speakers, they just don't have the output. The JTR's are so loud and so clear that I get every single word in movies, thus leading to a much more enjoyable cinematic experience. Hope this helps.

Greg

·
Registered
524 Posts
Someone recorded the following with a cellphone. He has the Klipsch RP-8000Fs, RP-504C and QSC SB-7218:

https://youtu.be/bXuVLUqu4QE

I recorded the same clip with an iphone X. I have the 212HTs and Cap 4000ULF:

https://youtu.be/-fPHrmTmQ1o

They should provide a pretty good representation of the two. :)

The following is the same clip but with audio track from a digital recorder for reference:

https://youtu.be/prTcc_ZEd5Y
Hey @chucky7
The 212 HT use different compression driver mid tweet compared to RT correct?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I will give my .02 cents here. I came from an audiophile grade speaker (Martin Logan 13a Expression) before getting the JTR Noesis 212RT's. I also owned the original RF7's about 5 years or so ago. The JTR Noesis 212RT is a high sensitivity speaker, so if you are putting some power to it, they will hurt your ears with their prodigious output. My old speakers weren't even capable of making my ears ring from their output....JTR's do it in a hurry if you aren't careful. In 2 channel mode with 600watt McIntosh Mono-blocks they can get so loud that you have to leave the room, but they remain free from distortion or discoloration. They are a tiny bit bright, but no where near the Klipsch. They sound very good at low/med volumes too. I find that I can get ear fatigue from them pretty easily, but that is more due to volume and type of music. If I listen at volumes that aren't super loud they are easy to get lost in. The soundstage is amazing, and they have crystal clear highs. Mid bass slam is some of the best I have heard from any speaker. I love running them even without the subs. I have probably logged over 500 hours of listening time on them and I am still discovering new things in old songs.

That was my feelings for music....for movies I will keep it short and sweet. I haven't heard anything for movies that can compete with them period! The first time you watch a movie all the way through at -10 MV or less your mouth will hang open. Gun shots hit, explosions explode! It is so dang immersive. My favorite has to be how clear JTR's are for center channel duty. I have always struggled with most manufacturers center channel speakers, they just don't have the output. The JTR's are so loud and so clear that I get every single word in movies, thus leading to a much more enjoyable cinematic experience. Hope this helps.

Greg
For movies, did the 212RT cause ear fatigue or ringing like they did with music?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Hey @chucky7
The 212 HT use different compression driver mid tweet compared to RT correct?
Yes, the 212HT has the B&C DE990TN. The 212RT has the BMS 4593HE, which costs nearly 3X as much.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Greg

Excellent overview as always! Not that I need anymore hype as I wait but man you’ve got me HYPED!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
110HT vs PSA MT110s

I am trying the PSAs for LCR and very much like the sound/Effiency, but at higher levels, they are fatiguing to me. I have read that the JTRs are not as “piercing” but have a similar sound profile.

By the way, it’s for a multi use 26x30 room in the basement (seating area is about 12x16) 100% TV/sports/movies. Denon x3500 and a Rythmic 15” ported sub ( plan on adding another)

Any insight welcome.

·
Registered
766 Posts
For movies, did the 212RT cause ear fatigue or ringing like they did with music?
No, mainly because movies have a lot of variance with volume and it is seldom loud for very long periods of time. Music is a constant and is much louder because the bass is a continuous beat. I have had movies make my ears ring (Den of Thieves) but it was because I had them on super loud. It's like a supercar, it will go fast and hurt you if you want it to, but you can also get groceries and cruise in it. JTR is amazing because you have so much headroom, you don't have to always use it :)

Greg

·
Registered
470 Posts
The JTRs can definitely cause ear fatigue, but it's a different kind of ear fatigue. I'm starting to amass a pretty good collection of different speakers now, and with all my other speakers, ear fatigue comes in the form of what I would describe as an increasing cringe factor. It makes you uncomfortable, kinda like listening to a public speaker who's really nervous. Every time you increase the volume a little more, it gets louder, but the cringe factor also goes up a little. Eventually the cringe becomes too much to take, and you're forced to turn it down.

The ear fatigue I experience from the JTRs is of a different variety. I never really get that cringe factor(unless I just start with it at max volume). I slowly turn it up and up as my ears attenuate and it just keeps sounding more and more awesome. Eventually, there comes a point where there's either a long pause in a song, or a long pause between songs, and it's at this point that I realize "oh ****, my ears are ringing, I need to turn it down". At that point I'll either turn it down or go do something else for awhile.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
No. That is because music volume is relative more constant than movies. The loudness war also does not help.

Think of it this way. Most people watch movies at higher MV than they listen to music.

Also allow me to elaborate.

If you listen to JTR speakers at the same volume you do with your other regular speakers, the JTR speakers won't cause more ear fatigue. For what it's worth, JTR speakers have lower THD so at the same MV, they sound smoother. This might make you want to turn them up. When you do, they still sound pleasant. You won't realize how loud you are listening until you take a breather.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Another way to say it is that compression and distortion from pushing speakers beyond their dynamic capabilities is what we most commonly associate with ear fatigue. Our ears are rebelling against "bad" sound. Dynamic speakers that play cleanly at higher levels produce less ear fatigue when listened to at the same level as less dynamic speakers that are compressing and distorting at that level. Of course listening to clean sound from dynamic speakers at higher than safe levels can not only produce ear fatigue but hearing damage. Enjoy but stay safe.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can't reach JTR

Long Story short, I'm trying to buy speakers and can't connect with phone or emails. He replied to my first email Monday saying he would get me a quote with shipping, since then I've called and emailed with no answer or reply. Any advise?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Long Story short, I'm trying to buy speakers and can't connect with phone or emails. He replied to my first email Monday saying he would get me a quote with shipping, since then I've called and emailed with no answer or reply. Any advise?

I’d imagine he’s very busy trying to catch up with orders right now since his cabinet maker was closed for quite some time. Keep trying and hopefully you can catch him soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
766 Posts
Try calling towards the end of the work day. He usually picks up. I am sure he is swamped right now, just be patient. He always comes through.

Greg

Reactions: hotbeef

·
Registered
58 Posts

Greg

Couldn't agree more with all of this on the 212RT's, including the part about being careful because they'll push hard so effortlessly. Combined with the 2400s, every movie is just so much more of an experience over any of my previous speakers.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
He just got around to shipping my 110s that I ordered over 2 months ago...he's so backed up. But yeah, eventually you will get him - I agree w/ trying at end of the day.

·
Registered
470 Posts
He's always replied to my emails, but sometimes it can take a few days. Remember, he's the designer, builder, and customer support. Most bigger companies have dedicated customer support teams, but with the quality of drivers, cabinets, and crossovers he uses(relative to the cost of the loudspeaker), I don't think he can afford a customer support staff.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Been listening to Phoebe Brider's new album. The 4th track "Punisher" has some incredibly low bass at the end that my S2s handle awesomely. Those of you with Cap 4000's will probably hear it even better.

I'm curious what frequency that note actually is. I just finished setting up my new Infinity system in my bedroom(they had a 63% off sale so I bought two towers and 4 12 inch subs), and even with 4 12 inch subs in a room 1/4 the size of the room that the JTRs are in, I still can BARELY hear the note on that system. On the JTR system(with just 2 subs), it shakes my bones. The Infinity subs are rated down to 29Hz.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Been listening to Phoebe Brider's new album. The 4th track "Punisher" has some incredibly low bass at the end that my S2s handle awesomely. Those of you with Cap 4000's will probably hear it even better.

I'm curious what frequency that note actually is. I just finished setting up my new Infinity system in my bedroom(they had a 63% off sale so I bought two towers and 4 12 inch subs), and even with 4 12 inch subs in a room 1/4 the size of the room that the JTRs are in, I still can BARELY hear the note on that system. On the JTR system(with just 2 subs), it shakes my bones. The Infinity subs are rated down to 29Hz.
I just ran Punisher through my system. The low bass starts with less than a minute to go and is a descending sound from 25 Hz down to ~8 Hz.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Wooohoo!! Finally joined the JTR family! These truly are the real deal. Resolution is crazy good. Dynamics and headroom for days!! As a side note to anyone looking at JTR, make sure the rest of your system (I.E. subs, surrounds, Atmos, etc) can keep up! They’ll definitely be exposed if they can’t.

Attachments

40321 - 40340 of 40599 Posts