AVS Forum banner

41781 - 41800 of 41909 Posts

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Hey guys quick question, the LF ADJUST on rs is same as room gain?
No, they have nothing to do with each other. Room gain is caused when the frequencies played are lower than the lowest room mode. This causes pressure, but no resonances and is called the Pressure Region. The lowest room mode is calculated based on 1/2(speed of sound/room length). In my room, which is 28.5' long, the Pressure Region is below 19.82 Hz. The formula is .5(1130/28.5)=19.82 Hz. Below that I will get room gain if the room is sealed and if I am using sealed subwoofer. For a room 14 ft long, the Pressure Region starts at 38 Hz.

The port in a ported subwoofer does not function the same in the pressure zone and it is recommended that the port tune frequency stay in the Wave Region. This is why ported subwoofers are used in larger rooms or outdoor concerts - the ported subwoofer's tune is usually in the Wave Region or higher. If the room isn't sealed, then a ported subwoofer can be used in any size room.

The LF adjust is a low shelf filter that increases the relative levels of the lowest frequencies vs the higher frequencies that the subwoofer is playing. The low shelf filter starts at around 30 Hz on the JTR subwoofers. Here you can see the affect the LF Adjust has on the Captivator 4000:

LF Adjust.png

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
No, they have nothing to do with each other. Room gain is caused when the frequencies played are lower than the lowest room mode. This causes pressure, but no resonances and is called the Pressure Region. The lowest room mode is calculated based on 1/2(speed of sound/room length). In my room, which is 28.5' long, the Pressure Region is below 19.82 Hz. The formula is .5(1130/28.5)=19.82 Hz. Below that I will get room gain if the room is sealed and if I am using sealed subwoofer. For a room 14 ft long, the Pressure Region starts at 38 Hz.

The port in a ported subwoofer does not function the same in the pressure zone and it is recommended that the port tune frequency stay in the Wave Region. This is why ported subwoofers are used in larger rooms or outdoor concerts - the ported subwoofer's tune is usually in the Wave Region or higher. If the room isn't sealed, then a ported subwoofer can be used in any size room.

The LF adjust is a low shelf filter that increases the relative levels of the lowest frequencies vs the higher frequencies that the subwoofer is playing. The low shelf filter starts at around 30 Hz on the JTR subwoofers. Here you can see the affect the LF Adjust has on the Captivator 4000:

View attachment 3134240
Is there any info yet on the RTJ line? Specifically the in ceiling versions.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Is there any info yet on the RTJ line? Specifically the in ceiling versions.
Yes, but I'm not sure what Jeff wants released yet. I'm picking up the first RTJ Audio products (speakers, subs, & surrounds) next week in Chicago and and at that point I think I can provide more details.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Holy Cow. I'd love to hear these new RTJ beasts. I'm looking to sell my 210RTs and 215RMs, and I was thinking of buying 215RTs, but man, now I'm kinda thinking I'd rather save for a few years to rock a separate 2 channel set of these.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Really wish they were active, though. With woofers that far apart you could do some really cool EQ to smooth out the bass.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
So the new RTJ in-wall/in-ceiling speakers look pretty nice. Assume they would mate well acoustically with JTR 110-HT's?

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
2,678 Posts
So the new RTJ in-wall/in-ceiling speakers look pretty nice. Assume they would mate well acoustically with JTR 110-HT's?
I think that's a safe assumption since I believe everything they make is designed to work together for the most part. Is there a reason you're seeing they wouldn't? I haven't even looked at the RTJ's as my interest level is 0. A quick search doesn't show a website or anything for the RTJ line. You do know they are a dealer only item?

Reactions: bambam

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that's a safe assumption since I believe everything they make is designed to work together for the most part. Is there a reason you're seeing they wouldn't? I haven't even looked at the RTJ's as my interest level is 0. A quick search doesn't show a website or anything for the RTJ line. You do know they are a dealer only item?
Here is the link

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
2,678 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi guys - We are trying to install the 110sl speakers on the ceiling and don’t have issue with the weight/support (they are supported in the joist on one side and toggle bolts on the other, but the latch that these speakers use don’t have much give at all (maybe 1/4”) before the bolts/screws slide out. My installer and I are not comfortable w how easily the speaker comes off with barely any shift.

Can anyone provide us any guidance on this? i have an email in w JTR but we are literally sitting here trying to spin our wheels on a safe solution. Thanks

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The RTJ Audio website just went live on Tuesday. It probably wasn't in any search engines yet.

Hi guys - We are trying to install the 110sl speakers on the ceiling and don’t have issue with the weight/support (they are supported in the joist on one side and toggle bolts on the other, but the latch that these speakers use don’t have much give at all (maybe 1/4”) before the bolts/screws slide out. My installer and I are not comfortable w how easily the speaker comes off with barely any shift.

Can anyone provide us any guidance on this? i have an email in w JTR but we are literally sitting here trying to spin our wheels on a safe solution. Thanks
You install an L bracket at the back of the speaker so it can't slide out. You only need to screw the L bracket to the ceiling.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for your response. We did consider that approach and then decided on getting a 16x16 board to screw to the speaker (via the speaker’s screw holes used by the mounting hardware) so the speaker can’t move on the board and then screw the board to the ceiling joists so that the board can’t move on the ceiling. We want to make sure it’s as secure as possible. We will see how that goes and can always attach an L bracket behind the speaker if it has any chance to move for whatever reason (but I don’t think it will).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for your response. We did consider that approach and then decided on getting a 16x16 board to screw to the speaker (via the speaker’s screw holes used by the mounting hardware) so the speaker can’t move on the board and then screw the board to the ceiling joists so that the board can’t move on the ceiling. We want to make sure it’s as secure as possible. We will see how that goes and can always attach an L bracket behind the speaker if it has any chance to move for whatever reason (but I don’t think it will).
Send some pictures on what you do as I am going to have the same issue. I was told my order should ship tomorrow.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Will do. Unfortunately the guy helping me won’t be available until maybe next Saturday the 29th. Bummer we didn’t have what we needed to do it today but better safe than sorry.

However, here is a pic that Tony from jtr sent to me that is basically what mine will look like although I’ll be screwing the board directly to the speaker and the board I use will be smaller (16x16 should only be an inch bigger on all sides of the 14x14 110sl.)

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Here is the link
Sounds like JTR needed a way to work in dealer margins. Get some boots on the ground, incentive equals sales, and I can't disagree with him based on what I know of his business from lurking here. Outsider looking in, I think it would have made more sense to keep one brand (JTR) with MSRP (dumb high price you put online to get rid of people that think it's going to be $500 a speaker), international selling (bit higher for customers where you have to deal with higher warranty costs and the headache of shipping to their country), selling price (what customers buy it for, direct or via dealer, neither him nor dealers can go below this), a dealer price (the dealers handle the calls/customer service but buy it cheaper and can resell it at selling price). I think I would also force dealers to stock product so weed out the manchildren running an audio installer shop from their town house. After working to build the JTR brand, I don't understand having a different name that you have to re-build brand awareness of. That's why JBL has JBL, JBL Pro, etc...all under that brand. It builds brand equity. If it needed to be split, I'd have just JTR Pro. I realize it's tricky though, and this is just some rambling of a guy who woke up too early for work - so take it what it's worth (not well thought out and sleepy), but I do think there is something to my thoughts.

For most speaker companies, I think a direct model works better at this point. But I can see this more esoteric stuff having an installer model work well for, and also JTR still hasn't been able to get a sales guy so this might be a good fit as hiring a full time sales guy would be expensive for Jeff. To me the problem with dealers would be they really need to forecast and give some sort of idea of what kind of volume they'll sell to streamline manufacturing, and I have a feeling the majority that will sell these lines are going to be forum-nerds like me and probably be more of a mom-and-pop shop. I wonder if they'll also just poach people from the forums rather than bring new people in. I already see "I'm A dEaLeR" going on here, hopefully the companies he picks have an actual client list and it gives him the growth he is looking for. I wish Jeff the best, really talented guy and hope this comes off as constructive. I realize it likely comes off as another forum nerd """keyboard expert"""" lol, but, hey I couldn't sleep. Thanks for reading my blogpost :^)

·
Registered
534 Posts
it is unclear to me who the targeted market is for the rtj audio line vs the jtr pro audio line. I know rtj is a line for “dealers” to sell but what about the difference between the targeted customer? I don’t really see many having rtj in the home unless they have an absolutely massive room, and even then I’d still think the jtr line would be more suitable for most people. I see the sight mentions the output/dynamics and “audiophile” components, so is rtj maybe an effort to combine jtr home audio line and jtr pro audio lines? I don’t know since jtr home was never really marketed as an “audiophile” speaker although many of us believe it is, and there is such a difference in size and cost that I’m thinking there is more to it than that. Maybe things will become more clear with time. Does anyone know? Or are we all still kind of guessing at this point?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Video of RTJ audio....Wow :love::eek:

Femi

41781 - 41800 of 41909 Posts