7881 - 7900 of 15508 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Reactions: ziocomposite

·
Registered
304 Posts
I would say email [email protected] and [email protected].

You can also try calling him at 1-847-714-6878.

However, don't be discouraged if you don't hear back from him right away. He is a very busy man running a one man show. If you can't get hold of him, it's because he is working his ass off churning out speakers and subs.

I can guarantee you that the wait is worth it.

:)
Well said. Jeff is very very busy and I know he makes every effort to answer emails. You can also call him on the phone. He is always willing to discuss your needs and answer questions. If he doesn’t respond, try again- There is no bad mojo there- just the guy is going 100 mph.

... and at the end is all worth it and then some. I should know :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am the lucky owner of:

2x CAPTIVATOR 4000ULF, custom oak finish (not veneer), 2018
1x CAPTIVATOR 4000ULF-LP, standard finish, 2018
2x CAPTIVATOR S1, standard finish, (old model)

Integrating the 4000ULF-LP into our bedroom setup was easy, due to being a 2 channel music system

Integrating the 4000ULF pair, along with the S1 pair in the living room is more challenging.

I'm pretty sure that even though these are absolutely astounding and satisfying, I'm not making the most of their potential yet.

I listen to music and movies both in the living room, the following is the setup:

Marantz AV7702 Audio Video Preamp/Processor
2x Carver Amazing Platinum IV pair, rebuilt and upgraded to use an external crossover for the 8 12" woofers and the woofers now perform well from 40hz to 100hz (tested using sine wave sweeps)
5x BEHRINGER TRUTH B3031A ribbon studio monitors, as center and surrounds

Rockville RX230 2 Way Stereo / 3 Way Mono Crossover with XLR Input and Output, input from L, R, on Marantz; low out to 40-100hz to the Carver woofers, subwoofer out to the S1 pair in the front of the room
BEHRINGER iNUKE NU4-6000 to power the Carvers (replaced the fan to make it silent)

S1 pair; in from L, R Marantz; Sub out from Rockville
4000ULF pair; in from Sub 1, Sub 2, Marantz (Subwoofer mode, LFE+Main)

Currently it is difficult to get it tuned for both music and movies/games that have the .1 channel, because the movies have far too much bass when the music sounds just right.

What would you suggest?

OPTION 1
Get an outboard mixer to mix the .1 with the L and R channels?

OPTION 2
Is there a way to get the left, right and all the rear channels without relying on the Marantz to mix them, or do I need to funnel all 7 channels into a mixer just to get the lows out for the subwoofers, along with the .1 information (a more complex version of option 1)?

OPTION 3
If I set up the Marantz to say "no subwoofer", will I be missing sonic information from movies that are mixed to have a .1 track?

OPTION 4
Hire someone (I live in the CA Bay Area, got any suggestions?).

Let me know what I am missing (I'm sure I'm missing a few details!).

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I am the lucky owner of

OPTION 4

Wow! Congrats! That's quite the collection.

I'm not sure how close @Marc Alexander is, but I'm sure he will respond later.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
with that kind of bass output, have you invested in a $100 mic and rew(free)? I would invest. and then see what is going on

·
Registered
52 Posts
with that kind of bass output, have you invested in a $100 mic and rew(free)? I would invest. and then see what is going on
Just frequency sweeps, and ears I inherited from my mother who was a music teacher.

I have the microphone that packed in with the Marantz somewhere, but ultimately I just stuffed the room full of acoustic foam and went with my ears.

REW does look nice though, I haven't tried it. It doesn't really address the problem I know I have.

As I mentioned, a music system is easy so it's not exactly an acoustics issue. 7.1 mixing is a bit more confusing to me.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Just frequency sweeps, and ears I inherited from my mother who was a music teacher.

I have the microphone that packed in with the Marantz somewhere, but ultimately I just stuffed the room full of acoustic foam and went with my ears.

REW does look nice though, I haven't tried it. It doesn't really address the problem I know I have.

As I mentioned, a music system is easy so it's not exactly an acoustics issue. 7.1 mixing is a bit more confusing to me.
Marc lives in SoCal, just 6 hours driver from you...

You should get a UMiK-1 and start using the REW... Then you can produce those pretty graphs... :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Marc lives in SoCal, just 6 hours driver from you...

You should get a UMiK-1 and start using the REW... Then you can produce those pretty graphs... :D
I have to admit, the pretty graphs on data-bass did help sell me on the ULF 4000 series. Won't help me with 7.1 mixing, but the graphs are a selling point.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,894
I am the lucky owner of:

:eek:

Wow - really :) Seem to be more and more 4k owners lately. Did chucky7 set a baaaadd precedent?

·
Registered
52 Posts
:eek:

Wow - really :) Seem to be more and more 4k owners lately. Did chucky7 set a baaaadd precedent?
I almost went with a total of 4, then I decided to be reasonable-ish and go with an order for 3.

Turns out the CAPTIVATOR 4000ULF-LP version is easier in my rooms to set up, especially for a stereo music only system. It slips between a pair of Carver AL III (rebuilt last year) speakers, and compliments them extremely well. The profile is just right, because the depth is the same as the AL III and the width is just right to create a nice stereo image for the master bedroom. Cosmetically I am partial to the standard version, but functionally I really really like the LP version.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,892 Posts
I am the lucky owner of:

Integrating the 4000ULF-LP into our bedroom setup was easy, due to being a 2 channel music system

Integrating the 4000ULF pair, along with the S1 pair in the living room is more challenging.

I'm pretty sure that even though these are absolutely astounding and satisfying, I'm not making the most of their potential yet.

I listen to music and movies both in the living room, the following is the setup:

Marantz AV7702 Audio Video Preamp/Processor
2x Carver Amazing Platinum IV pair, rebuilt and upgraded to use an external crossover for the 8 12" woofers and the woofers now perform well from 40hz to 100hz (tested using sine wave sweeps)
5x BEHRINGER TRUTH B3031A ribbon studio monitors, as center and surrounds

Rockville RX230 2 Way Stereo / 3 Way Mono Crossover with XLR Input and Output, input from L, R, on Marantz; low out to 40-100hz to the Carver woofers, subwoofer out to the S1 pair in the front of the room
BEHRINGER iNUKE NU4-6000 to power the Carvers (replaced the fan to make it silent)

S1 pair; in from L, R Marantz; Sub out from Rockville
4000ULF pair; in from Sub 1, Sub 2, Marantz (Subwoofer mode, LFE+Main)

Currently it is difficult to get it tuned for both music and movies/games that have the .1 channel, because the movies have far too much bass when the music sounds just right.

What would you suggest?

OPTION 1
Get an outboard mixer to mix the .1 with the L and R channels?

OPTION 2
Is there a way to get the left, right and all the rear channels without relying on the Marantz to mix them, or do I need to funnel all 7 channels into a mixer just to get the lows out for the subwoofers, along with the .1 information (a more complex version of option 1)?

OPTION 3
If I set up the Marantz to say "no subwoofer", will I be missing sonic information from movies that are mixed to have a .1 track?

OPTION 4

Let me know what I am missing (I'm sure I'm missing a few details!).
Hi,

You are indeed a lucky owner! That is a lot of firepower. I have two initial impressions. The first is that trying to integrate the two Cap 4000 and the two S1's into the same audio system is both difficult and unnecessary. There is nothing whatsoever that the S1's can do for you that your Cap 4000's can't also do. And, trying to integrate the most powerful commercial ported subwoofers made, with a couple of good sealed subs, is a real challenge under the best of circumstances.

So, I would probably start by removing the S1's from the system. I would actually consider placing the dual S1's in the bedroom--giving you dual subs in a smaller room, and incorporating the third Cap 4000 into the main sound system. It isn't as if you need the extra firepower, but I believe that would be a far more elegant solution, and might give you a better frequency response in both rooms. The next best alternative to that would probably be to retire/sell the S1's.

My second impression is that you are trying to find a single bass setting that works equally well for acoustic music, and for 5.1 action movies with an LFE channel. For me, at least, that is an impossible task. I routinely change my settings when I move from music to movies, and vice-versa.

My recommendation is to concentrate first on putting together the best combination of speakers, subwoofers, and subwoofer locations that you can, and then to integrate them as well as you can. Perhaps the paragraphs above will help a little with that. Once you have done that, you can concentrate on finding the right settings to enable you to enjoy both your music and your movies. But, they will almost certainly be different settings at times. Once you learn what you like, I find that changing settings is pretty quick and easy. And, the reward is in the ability to fine-tune your sound in just the way you want it.

Edit: For general information purposes, you might want to read through the Guide linked below. It will take you some time to get through it, but I think it will be worth your while. It will certainly answer some of your questions.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2958528-guide-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

You are indeed a lucky owner! That is a lot of firepower. I have two initial impressions. The first is that trying to integrate the two Cap 4000 and the two S1's into the same audio system is both difficult and unnecessary. There is nothing whatsoever that the S1's can do for you that your Cap 4000's can't also do. And, trying to integrate the most powerful commercial ported subwoofers made, with a couple of good sealed subs, is a real challenge under the best of circumstances.

So, I would probably start by removing the S1's from the system. I would actually consider placing the dual S1's in the bedroom--giving you dual subs in a smaller room, and incorporating the third Cap 4000 into the main sound system. It isn't as if you need the extra firepower, but I believe that would be a far more elegant solution, and might give you a better frequency response in both rooms. The next best alternative to that would probably be to retire/sell the S1's.

My second impression is that you are trying to find a single bass setting that works equally well for acoustic music, and for 5.1 action movies with an LFE channel. For me, at least, that is an impossible task. I routinely change my settings when I move from music to movies, and vice-versa.

My recommendation is to concentrate first on putting together the best combination of speakers, subwoofers, and subwoofer locations that you can, and then to integrate them as well as you can. Perhaps the paragraphs above will help a little with that. Once you have done that, you can concentrate on finding the right settings to enable you to enjoy both your music and your movies. But, they will almost certainly be different settings at times. Once you learn what you like, I find that changing settings is pretty quick and easy. And, the reward is in the ability to fine-tune your sound in just the way you want it.

Edit: For general information purposes, you might want to read through the Guide linked below. It will take you some time to get through it, but I think it will be worth your while. It will certainly answer some of your questions.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2958528-guide-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I did read through that guide, and it does look like a useful primer though I didn't see anything that seems to apply to my situation, mostly because it seems to expect more conventional mains that do not produce significant output down to 40hz (due to being modified these Carvers will now shake the house with 40hz sine wave, without a sub).

I have had some similar thoughts in the long run, that either a second pair of 4000s, or perhaps a new pair of CAPTIVATOR 2400ULF would integrate much better. For even in room response, 4x subwoofers tends to work out well even in less than ideal match ups where some of them are not matching or optimal. DSP correction just leads to uneven room playback in various listening positions, digital grit, and overworked components that are trying to overcome a lack of decent room acoustics, treatment, and positioning, in my opinion (I could be wrong for some applications or preferences of course). My bedroom sounds godly, there is no way I will break up that match. If needed, I would buy another 4000 (or 2400ULF) for the living room though it would be challenging to fit one or two more in here.

With regards to how well the S1s integrate, it's not ideal, but it does make things a bit more even in-room than running the 4000 pair on their own. I have tried it both ways. The room I have is pretty full, so I am limited on floor space to move subwoofers this large to just anywhere in the room.

Mostly though, integrating these isn't my primary problem, that's much more of a minor consideration. It's mixing 7.1 to be balanced so it works equally well with music. I gather that few people even attempt this however. I do have some ideas for how to tackle that goal, but I figure it's best to get some ideas before I go ahead.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Thanks, and that sounds great that maybe I will find some local expertise!

I'm trying to embed or attach a picture of the custom finish below, not yet sure how to do it on this forum.

This is just gorgeous. Can I ask what the upcharge was for this finish versus a veneer? To clarify its made of solid oak?

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is just gorgeous. Can I ask what the upcharge was for this finish versus a veneer? To clarify its made of solid oak?
It was significantly more, and required some re-engineering from what I understand, so there was a charge for the re-engineering of them. I haven't cracked them open to check to see exactly how it was pulled off, but it's pretty clear that it's not a veneer :)

I wouldn't want to spoil Jeff's fun at deciding what he wants to sell them for in the future by disclosing it here in case it was a lot more work than he planned for when he originally quoted them to me. They are really nicely finished, it's hard to convey how nice they look and feel and how solid they are.

·
AVS ***** Member
8,892 Posts
Hi Mike,

I did read through that guide, and it does look like a useful primer though I didn't see anything that seems to apply to my situation, mostly because it seems to expect more conventional mains that do not produce significant output down to 40hz (due to being modified these Carvers will now shake the house with 40hz sine wave, without a sub).

I have had some similar thoughts in the long run, that either a second pair of 4000s, or perhaps a new pair of CAPTIVATOR 2400ULF would integrate much better. For even in room response, 4x subwoofers tends to work out well even in less than ideal match ups where some of them are not matching or optimal. DSP correction just leads to uneven room playback in various listening positions, digital grit, and overworked components that are trying to overcome a lack of decent room acoustics, treatment, and positioning, in my opinion (I could be wrong for some applications or preferences of course). My bedroom sounds godly, there is no way I will break up that match. If needed, I would buy another 4000 (or 2400ULF) for the living room though it would be challenging to fit one or two more in here.

With regards to how well the S1s integrate, it's not ideal, but it does make things a bit more even in-room than running the 4000 pair on their own. I have tried it both ways. The room I have is pretty full, so I am limited on floor space to move subwoofers this large to just anywhere in the room.

Mostly though, integrating these isn't my primary problem, that's much more of a minor consideration. It's mixing 7.1 to be balanced so it works equally well with music. I gather that few people even attempt this however. I do have some ideas for how to tackle that goal, but I figure it's best to get some ideas before I go ahead.
I think that you will find that letting Audyssey do the initial calibration of your system will be helpful, rather than simply trying to do it all by ear. That's part of what I was hoping might be helpful. Then, the section on setting crossovers may also be helpful for you, as well as the section on why it is difficult to integrate ported and sealed subs, with entirely different output capabilities and frequency responses.

I do believe in making final adjustments by ear, but the initial Audyssey calibration will help to get you much closer. Then whether you choose to use the room EQ or not is entirely up to you. The calibration process is different from the filters that Audyssey sets, and you can turn Audyssey off or leave it on as you choose.

FWIW, I do understand the special circumstances of having very capable speakers. In fact, I will see your eight 12" woofers and raise you six. I have fourteen 12" woofers, in very large sealed cabinets, in my sound system. And, I don't prefer to use my subwoofers at all for music. But, for 5.1 movies and some TV shows (such as Game of Thrones) I add in my 4 subwoofers and bass-manage all of my speakers. That is part of what I meant about changing settings when I go from music to movies.

The problem with getting music involving acoustic instruments, and 5.1 movies, to sound exactly the same, with the same amount of bass boost from the subwoofers, is that both the bass frequencies and the bass volumes in the mixes are entirely different. So, what sounds good for one, may not sound good for the other. That is something that you can control, though, by controlling the volume of your subwoofers, and perhaps to some extent the LF Adjust feature. But, I think that the process still begins with good subwoofer placement and appropriate HT system calibration.

Not pushing, just suggesting since you asked for assistance. :)

Regards,
Mike

7881 - 7900 of 15508 Posts