AVS Forum banner

14901 - 14920 of 15470 Posts

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,696 Posts
Just in case you don't know. AXPONA 2020 was first postponed to August and now has been cancelled. This means, in 2020, JTR will not have the opportunity to showcase it's products in the only audio show it attends. What's worse, JD Events, the organizer for AXPONA, announced that the exhibitors will not be refunded the deposit.
Does anyone smell a lawsuit in the making?

Reactions: feistyacorn

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Hey guys, trying to figure out wether to build a simple frame for acoustically transparent screen and put the two 4000 ulf and future jtr LCR behind it or just try to fit everything in front of the screen for now. I believe I have seen before that you can lay the 4000ulf on their sides ie woofers facing the MLP. Is that correct?

Assume your ultimate goal is to go with AT (acoustically transparent) screen eventually ? It is definitely worth it and one of the best design changes I made in my theater. I would also recommend going with a baffle wall design but not sure how much benefit there is when using amazing JTR speakers (go with 10 or 12” woofers and skip the 8” in my opinion after testing the 8” JTR).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
That's some effin BS right there. I would assume they're telling exhibitors that their deposit is forwarded to the next show... but who knows.
JDE said:

"Virtually all deposit monies were spent on producing and marketing the April show, including salaries, overhead and other service providers."

"Over the next several weeks we will be devising a plan for all 2020 exhibitors to rebook their same space, advertising and sponsorship positions in the 2021 event by rolling a portion of their 2020 deposits forward. The amount that we can offer to roll forward will depend on our ability to strengthen our financial position in the weeks to come."

Therefore, I doubt there's much, if any left...

The exhibitors are already hurting from lost (potential) revenue due to store closure, and cancelled trade shows. Many of them are probably not in good financial statuses to participate in trade shows in 2021.

You know the saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice..."

·
Registered
52 Posts
JDE said:

"Virtually all deposit monies were spent on producing and marketing the April show, including salaries, overhead and other service providers."

"Over the next several weeks we will be devising a plan for all 2020 exhibitors to rebook their same space, advertising and sponsorship positions in the 2021 event by rolling a portion of their 2020 deposits forward. The amount that we can offer to roll forward will depend on our ability to strengthen our financial position in the weeks to come."

The exhibitors are already hurting from lost (potential) revenue due to store closure, and cancelled trade shows. Many of them are probably not in good financial states to participate in trade shows in 2021.

I REALLY hope Jeff/JTR makes it through this tough time!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey guys, trying to figure out wether to build a simple frame for acoustically transparent screen and put the two 4000 ulf and future jtr LCR behind it or just try to fit everything in front of the screen for now. I believe I have seen before that you can lay the 4000ulf on their sides ie woofers facing the MLP. Is that correct?

Assume your ultimate goal is to go with AT (acoustically transparent) screen eventually ? It is definitely worth it and one of the best design changes I made in my theater. I would also recommend going with a baffle wall design but not sure how much benefit there is when using amazing JTR speakers (go with 10 or 12” woofers and skip the 8” in my opinion after testing the 8” JTR).

Thanks. Yes it is my ultimate goal. It just requires getting into much more and framing a few walls etc.
But I think I’m there. I have a space that is 31.5 feet long and 13.5 feet wide. Would you guys cut off the 10 feet or so and shorten the room or build the whole thing out? If I shorten it I can put a cario room on the other side.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That's some effin BS right there. I would assume they're telling exhibitors that their deposit is forwarded to the next show... but who knows.
JDE said:

The exhibitors are already hurting from lost (potential) revenue due to store closure, and cancelled trade shows. Many of them are probably not in good financial states to participate in trade shows in 2021.

Interesting . I would think these type of events/shows are insured??? If not.. hard hard lesson

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Thanks. Yes it is my ultimate goal. It just requires getting into much more and framing a few walls etc.
But I think I’m there. I have a space that is 31.5 feet long and 13.5 feet wide. Would you guys cut off the 10 feet or so and shorten the room or build the whole thing out? If I shorten it I can put a cario room on the other side.

My room is 14’ wide by 23.5ft long and I can just squeeze two rows of recliners with 2ft between the back of the second row recliner and the cabinets.

Back of my second row to screen is exactly 20ft but you will want 4ft - 8ft space between back row ears and rear surround speakers.

Front row eyes to screen is 12.5 ft.

Reactions: Jrsred10

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
i'd use the entire space. when i was framing my room i debated making the room smaller so i could have another rec-room and i'm very glad i didn't.

My room is 14’ wide by 23.5ft long and I can just squeeze two rows of recliners with 2ft between the back of the second row recliner and the cabinets.

Back of my second row to screen is exactly 20ft but you will want 4ft - 8ft space between back row ears and rear surround speakers.

Front row eyes to screen is 12.5 ft.
some of this is just preference though, while other placement options are just because of room constraints. e.g., my rear seating is pretty close to the rear surrounds but it's just a physical limitation of the room itself--however that seating gets used mostly for either laying down or as overflow so i don't care much. my front row is also the same ~13' from my screen (like yours) but the image is larger (148" 2.4, 157" 16:9). i LOVE how immersive it is and could never go back to something smaller now. i feel that for scope it's the perfect size, with 16:9 being a bit too large but for certain movies or tv shows (think joker, or the expanse--a space opera, or blue planet type documentaries) it's out of this world fun! :D

this is anecdotal and not aimed at anyone here specifically but it does seem like a lot of people go all-in with their audio setup and then their video is either a tiny fixed display or a screen that's too small for the room to match how awesome their audio setup is :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
i'd use the entire space. when i was framing my room i debated making the room smaller so i could have another rec-room and i'm very glad i didn't.

some of this is just preference though, while other placement options are just because of room constraints. e.g., my rear seating is pretty close to the rear surrounds but it's just a physical limitation of the room itself--however that seating gets used mostly for either laying down or as overflow so i don't care much. my front row is also the same ~13' from my screen (like yours) but the image is larger (148" 2.4, 157" 16:9). i LOVE how immersive it is and could never go back to something smaller now. i feel that for scope it's the perfect size, with 16:9 being a bit too large but for certain movies or tv shows (think joker, or the expanse--a space opera, or blue planet type documentaries) it's out of this world fun! :D

this is anecdotal and not aimed at anyone here specifically but it does seem like a lot of people go all-in with their audio setup and then their video is either a tiny fixed display or a screen that's too small for the room to match how awesome their audio setup is :confused:
Word!
Thanks for the words of wisdom

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Hello, for the last years I´ve been mostly a DIY guy because of budget, right now I´m adding 2 devastors and I´m planning to keep 2 SI DS4-18 in large cabinets (larger than full marty) I also have 4 15" Ultimax that I don´t what to do with them, put them in some boxes from GSG or just buy a JTR 4000ULF and sell the 15´s, do you think this sub will be better that 4 UM15-22 running off iNuke 6000DSP.

Also if anyone here have the same combo, how will the 4000ULF integrate with devastators and full Marty, if I really like the 4000ULF I may add more down the road.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
do you think this sub will be better than 4 UM15-22 running off iNuke 6000DSP.Thanks
i ran (6) 15's (vented ds1520 drivers) prior to this single captivator 4000ulf and i could never go back. hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Just watched Underwater...

It was a hell of a ride. It felt like my whole house was groaning... :eek:

The surround effect was really well done. I heard overhead effect without having actual Atmos speakers.

No, it does not deserve the Oscar for anything...

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,915

The surround effect was really well done. I heard overhead effect without having actual Atmos speakers.

Thanks for the chuckle. ;)
That's the problem with a lot of "sound blockbusters." Outside of the sound I can't bear to watch a second time.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,916
I like your Avatar pic. Glad you are starting to work again. The last time I was in Palos Verdes was about 20 years ago when Shops at Palos Verdes was transitioning to Avenue of the Peninsula. I did electrical work at Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, and Abercrombie & Fitch. I lived in Santa Clarita so the drive was terrible.
Thanks. Sounds like LA will be last in California to "open" but at least I am seeing signs of traffic jams threatening to form.

Santa Clarita to Palos Verdes is indeed a gruesome drive in traffic. I used to drive that 405 to 5 corridor too - my legs would be numb by the time I got home.

Stay safe. Hope all is ok with your family and business.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

i keep telling people how impressive that movie is (mostly for the LFE), but it's also refreshing to watch something that was fun & enjoyable that's unique and not another disney or marvel clone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How does one power a 4000 W continuous amp in the US? A 20A line won't even get close to enough power.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
How does one power a 4000 W continuous amp in the US? A 20A line won't even get close to enough power.
this has been asked & answered ad nauseam if you search or look back in this thread. consuming real media != listening to a sine wave (the intro to EoT notwithstanding).

also, nice avatar. i love that movie, one of my favorites.

14901 - 14920 of 15470 Posts