AVS Forum banner

14921 - 14940 of 15450 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
How does one power a 4000 W continuous amp in the US? A 20A line won't even get close to enough power.
Power P = V Voltage * I current.

Given P = 4000W, V=120V, the typical current is 15~20 Amp.

The kicker is a typical receptacle can sustain multiples of the current for seconds.

According to above, a receptacle can pass through 3 times the rated current for 12 seconds without tripping.

Most bass scenes are transient. The Olympus Has Fallen - Washington Monument scene has perhaps the longest continuous ULF bass signal. That is only ~18 seconds...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Power P = V Voltage * I current.

Given P = 4000W, V=120V, the typical current is 15~20 Amp.

The kicker is a typical receptacle can sustain multiples of the current for seconds.

From above, a receptacle can pass through 3 times the rated current for 12 seconds without tripping.

Most bass scenes are transient. The Olympus Has Fallen - Washington Monument scene has perhaps the longest continuous ULF bass signal. That is only ~18 seconds...
Thats the reason I asked what plug end he is using. Because if its a normal plug end a 20 amp circuit is more than enough considering 12 gauge wiring is able to handle more than most receptacles and plug ends are even rated for.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Thats the reason I asked what plug end he is using. Because if its a normal plug end a 20 amp circuit is more than enough considering 12 gauge wiring is able to handle more than most receptacles and plug ends are even rated for.
Anything above 2000W will be shipped with a 3 prong plug. That is currently everything for JTR. :)

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have two front sealed subs in the corners (JL audio f113 v2) in an acoustically treated rectangular theater.

I would prefer to put one RS2 center back. How much of a compromise would this be compared to two RS1 at the back corners ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I have two front sealed subs in the corners (JL audio f113 v2) in an acoustically treated rectangular theater.

I would prefer to put one RS2 center back. How much of a compromise would this be compared to two RS1 at the back corners?
Corner placements are never optimum in providing the smoothest FR. They do, however, provide the most output.

1/4 width placements usually yield better FR.

1 RS2 equals 2 RS1s in output.

However, only you know, with measurements, if mid-width placements work.

I would experiment with the much more capable RS2 at front mid-width and the FL F113V2 at rear corners.

·
Registered
916 Posts
i keep telling people how impressive that movie is (mostly for the LFE), but it's also refreshing to watch something that was fun & enjoyable that's unique and not another disney or marvel clone.
This is still my favorite movie for LFE. I haven't seen anything yet that matches the amount of LFE material this movie has. Sure, some movies have their moments of LFE here and there but this is non-stop! Anything else like it?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
This is still my favorite movie for LFE. I haven't seen anything yet that matches the amount of LFE material this movie has. Sure, some movies have their moments of LFE here and there but this is non-stop! Anything else like it?
it's one of few movies that delivers lfe fun for the duration of the movie. almost all regurgitated "must watch" fun scenes from movies are singularly specific and do not last throughout the movie. just look at people's love for the ~5s helicopter "irene" scene in black hawk down, or the ~10s intro to edge of tomorrow. the rest of both movies are fun to watch but aren't lfe heavy at all.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I believe Aquaman can rival it.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
EoT is not a demo worth movie IMO, not even the 10 second intro. In fact, I think it is one of the worst LFE demo examples I can think of. Not impressive at all. Yes, its demanding, but it isn't impressive at all. Its basically just brief sine waves at 5 different frequencies.

Play the Washington Monument scene in Olympus Has Fallen. That's an impressive scene on subs that are capable of playing it.

Or the WWZ grenade scene.

Or WoTW pod emergence scene.

Really cool on screen action with excellent accompanying sound that makes you feel what's happening on screen in a way no one can imagine until you experience it.

EoT intro? Garbage.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
EoT is not a demo worth movie IMO, not even the 10 second intro. In fact, I think it is one of the worst LFE demo examples I can think of. Not impressive at all. Yes, its demanding, but it isn't impressive at all. Its basically just brief sine waves at 5 different frequencies.

Play the Washington Monument scene in Olympus Has Fallen. That's an impressive scene on subs that are capable of playing it.

Or the WWZ grenade scene.

Or WoTW pod emergence scene.

Really cool on screen action with excellent accompanying sound that makes you feel what's happening on screen in a way no one can imagine until you experience it.

EoT intro? Garbage.
War of the Worlds pod emergence scene is my favorite bass scene. Curious to see how it sounds on the 4K disc. Announced for 5/19 with Atmos.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
A Quiet Place. Good bass. *GREAT* movie.

Dredd...super fun bass fest...hardcore action flick.

Nine...interesting, different, great bass.

How to Train Your Dragon...great movie, great visuals, great soundtrack, great LFE.

Just a few off the top of my head that stand out, but that aren't always talked about often.

·
Registered
747 Posts
lol...wow i must have bad taste in movie because i like Aquaman.

Femi

·
Registered
173 Posts
lol...wow i must have bad taste in movie because i like Aquaman.

Femi
I must also have bad taste. I thought the movie pretty good overall and excellent in many ways. It's visually stunning at times, wonderfully shot/great camera work and editing, the world it created really beautiful and imaginative, and that scene with them jumping off boat and all those critters following them was scarier to me than any gore-fest horror movie

14921 - 14940 of 15450 Posts