AVS Forum banner

15341 - 15360 of 15498 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
I do not have it in writing. Just talked to them about it specifically multiple times and they assured me. But no writing.
Who is the vendor? Sounds like someone to stay away from.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I do not have it in writing. Just talked to them about it specifically multiple times and they assured me. But no writing.
Not sure where you live, but tell them you’re going to file a report with the BBB. Also a complaint with your state AG. Last but not least, you could sign up with legal shield for $30 a month and they would write them a strong letter. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you were starting from scratch and wanted to build a JTR surround sound system using a 4000ULF as the sub (I'm thinking of ordering the "Sofa table" model) and space IS an issue (I know, I know, you're thinking "But you're ordering a 4000ULF" makes no sense) I'm making space for that bad boy. What I don't have is enough space to put 5 more monsters in the room. So, what JTRs would you suggest and while I have your attention, I was thinking of ordering a (2019 model to save a little $) flagship model Marantz to power it all with the intention to add an (L.C.R.) 3 channel amp later. I welcome any and all opinions/advice/thoughts. Thank you in advance and thank you to Jeff for making such wonderful stuff.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
If you were starting from scratch and wanted to build a JTR surround sound system using a 4000ULF as the sub (I'm thinking of ordering the "Sofa table" model) and space IS an issue (I know, I know, you're thinking "But you're ordering a 4000ULF" makes no sense) I'm making space for that bad boy. What I don't have is enough space to put 5 more monsters in the room. So, what JTRs would you suggest and while I have your attention, I was thinking of ordering a (2019 model to save a little $) flagship model Marantz to power it all with the intention to add an (L.C.R.) 3 channel amp later. I welcome any and all opinions/advice/thoughts. Thank you in advance and thank you to Jeff for making such wonderful stuff.
For the sub, you can certainly go with the Cap 4000ULF-TL, which has the smallest footprint in it's natural orientation. The footprint will be 20.5" W x 28" D.

With the ST, you can also stand it up then it will be 28" W and 20.5" D.

For my 2nd Cap 4000ULF, it will definitely be one of them.

As for the speakers, it really depends on your budget and how content you are with your gear after you get them.

At the lowest price point, you can go with 5 110HTs. I regret hearing them because now I can't unhear them. They are very capable, shallow and can be wall-hung.

If you want to spend a little bit more, you can go with 3 $1,299 228HTs for your front stage. These will have 2 woofers and a horn loaded ferrite CD tweeter.

Above that, there are the $1,499 228HT, the $1,599 210HT, the $1,899 212HT. These will have a better neo CD tweeter.

Finally there is the reference series starting at $2,299 ea, which are 3 way and have the ultra high-end neo coaxial (tweeter and midrange) CD.

Therefore, there are speakers for all kinds of budget. Just go with whatever that's within in your budget.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts

I'd go with 210RT's for right and left. 210RM for center. You could save $ and go with 3 210RM's for LCR. Add 2 CAP 4k's or 4 cap 2400's/ 2-4 cap RS2's for subs. Anyone of these combination would perform far beyond most people's (not on this forum) wildest expectations.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
For the sub, you can certainly go with the Cap 4000ULF-TL, which has the smallest footprint in it's natural orientation. The footprint will be 20.5" W x 28" D.

With the ST, you can also stand it up then it will be 28" W and 20.5" D.

For my 2nd Cap 4000ULF, it will definitely be one of them.

As for the speakers, it really depends on your budget and how content you are with your gear after you get them.

At the lowest price point, you can go with 5 110HTs. I regret hearing them because now I can't unhear them. They are very capable, shallow and can be wall-hung.

If you want to spend a little bit more, you can go with 3 $1,299 228HTs for your front stage. These will have 2 woofers and a horn loaded ferrite CD tweeter.

Above that, there are the $1,499 228HT, the $1,599 210HT, the $1,899 212HT. These will have a better neo CD tweeter.

Finally there is the reference series starting at $2,299 ea, which are 3 way and have the ultra high-end neo coaxial (tweeter and midrange) CD.

Therefore, there are speakers for all kinds of budget. Just go with whatever that's within in your budget.

Then again, Chucky has some excellent advice here.

Reactions: chucky7

·
AVS ***** Member
8,892 Posts
Ya I’m trying to return it but I bought the sub for like 2100. He said he has to charge me a 1000$ restocking fee. It’s just really disappointing cause he said he would honor the 45 day in home trial. And the whole reason I got an svs was for that reason to try it out but I got it through the authorized dealer because it was cheaper. I thought the sub was gonna be right for me and be exactly what I wanted but it turns out I found a better on and it isn’t what I expected. So now it’s still within that 45 day time frame and they aren’t gonna take it back like they said. I wonder if that’s illegal for them to say that and then just Completely lie and not do it. I don’t know what to do. Jtr people called me but since I don’t have the pb16 figured I’m not comfortable pulling the trigger on the 2400. Uhhg this is stressful i don’t know what to do. Any of you guys have any ideas?
ok I appreciate your advice kind sir. I’m gonna try to talk to them again on Monday and see what they have to say. I mean either way I’m going to take a loss. I might try to talk to my credit card company, or maybe even a lawyer. I’m sure if I went that route it would end up costing more in the end than the subwoofer lol. Or in the end I might just run both subwoofers cause I did get a mighty good deal on the sub.
I would also give SVS a call and see what they say.

That's pretty reprehensible conduct by that dealer! And, I think that Chucky gave you some very good advice here. I would try to speak to Ed Mullen, with SVS, and I would explain the situation. If that is an authorized dealer, they should be honoring a free-trial period. I think that you would find SVS sympathetic to your situation, and they could definitely put some pressure on the dealer. I would also challenge the transaction with my credit card company, if necessary, especially if SVS gives you something in writing about the free-trial period being standard for authorized dealers.

I'm pretty sure that there is a path to a full refund, if you are determined and persistent enough. Good luck! :)

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ya I’️m trying to return it but I bought the sub for like 2100. He said he has to charge me a 1000$ restocking fee. It’️s just really disappointing cause he said he would honor the 45 day in home trial. And the whole reason I got an svs was for that reason to try it out but I got it through the authorized dealer because it was cheaper. I thought the sub was gonna be right for me and be exactly what I wanted but it turns out I found a better on and it isn’️t what I expected. So now it’️s still within that 45 day time frame and they aren’️t gonna take it back like they said. I wonder if that’️s illegal for them to say that and then just Completely lie and not do it. I don’️t know what to do. Jtr people called me but since I don’️t have the pb16 figured I’️m not comfortable pulling the trigger on the 2400. Uhhg this is stressful i don’️t know what to do. Any of you guys have any ideas?
ok I appreciate your advice kind sir. I’️m gonna try to talk to them again on Monday and see what they have to say. I mean either way I’️m going to take a loss. I might try to talk to my credit card company, or maybe even a lawyer. I’️m sure if I went that route it would end up costing more in the end than the subwoofer lol. Or in the end I might just run both subwoofers cause I did get a mighty good deal on the sub.
I would also give SVS a call and see what they say.

That's pretty reprehensible conduct by that dealer! And, I think that Chucky gave you some very good advice here. I would try to speak to Ed Mullen, with SVS, and I would explain the situation. If that is an authorized dealer, they should be honoring a free-trial period. I think that you would find SVS sympathetic to your situation, and they could definitely put some pressure on the dealer. I would also challenge the transaction with my credit card company, if necessary, especially if SVS gives you something in writing about the free-trial period being standard for authorized dealers.

I'm pretty sure that there is a path to a full refund, if you are determined and persistent enough. Good luck! /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Regards,
Mike
I talked with one person from svs, tho I was gonna try and talk with the president of svs and see what he has to say. The one person from svs said they do not to the 45 day in home trial to authorized dealers I could show you the email.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I talked with one person from svs, tho I was gonna try and talk with the president of svs and see what he has to say. The one person from svs said they do not to the 45 day in home trial to authorized dealers I could show you the email.

I think that is correct. The 45 day trial period is part of the SVS bill of rights which you get only if you buy directly from them. That is a pretty well advertised point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: spyboy

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15,350
Hello, sorry for all your trouble but even if you're "stuck" with PB16, it's not the end of the world by any stretch of imagination. There ARE people who mix subwoofers, because of various reasons - financial, stuck with old one on the upgrade path etc. (me - just to evaluate different sound signatures :eek: :)). You just have to use REW etc. to integrate them and there will be experts on this forum to help you.

Ending up with two top notch subwoofers? That is GREAT; once you have both, test with both, then with single, etc., then you could make a decision whether to keep both or unload the PB16. I hope you are enjoying all these different toys (and yes, the PB 16 is not a JTR 2400, but it is a great subwoofer to play with).

True it may cost some $, but versus $1000 for "restocking" fee - LOL, what planet does this man come from?

·
AVS ***** Member
8,892 Posts
I think that is correct. The 45 day trial period is part of the SVS bill of rights which you get only if you buy directly from them. That is a pretty well advertised point.

No, that is not entirely correct. Some of the authorized dealers, such as Magnolia, advertise the same 45-day free trial period that SVS does, and others will generally give it if asked. It is always better to get that in writing though, on the bill of sale, if it is not an advertised feature. Free returns are not typically offered, however, by authorized dealers outside of the continental US. The real difference in the SVS Bill-of-Rights lies in SVS's one-year upgrade period. That benefit is only available when buying directly from SVS.

I would be persistent about this, if I were he.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
No, that is not entirely correct. Some of the authorized dealers, such as Magnolia, advertise the same 45-day free trial period that SVS does, and others will generally give it if asked. It is always better to get that in writing though, on the bill of sale, if it is not an advertised feature. Free returns are not typically offered, however, by authorized dealers outside of the continental US. The real difference in the SVS Bill-of-Rights lies in SVS's one-year upgrade period. That benefit is only available when buying directly from SVS.

I would be persistent about this, if I were he.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks Mike. Then hopefully SVS is able to help out. I would reach out to Ed Mullen as you suggested.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Chucky, where is the 210 HT for $1,599? I don’t see it on their website. I assume that is a 2 way just like the 212 HT but with 10” woofers?

·
AVS ***** Member
8,892 Posts
Ok thank you guys very much. I’m am going to try to get ahold of Ed Mullen. I wonder i how go about doing that.
well dang ig he’s not accepting private messages at this time..

One way to do it would be to email SVS, asking that the email be directed specifically to Ed Mullen. I would also post about the problem on the SVS Owner's Thread, and I would "Mention" Ed Mullen by name, by putting this symbol @ in front of his name.

I would also post the name of the company, and the individual, who is behaving unscrupulously. If he comes through with a return and a refund, you can always edit the post. If not, your post will serve as a warning to others, and may be good for that person's soul. :p

One point of overall clarification. I just happened to see your post on this page, and I have assumed that you bought your sub locally and picked it up yourself. Dealers, such as Crutchfield, nearly always offer a free-trial period, but you have to pay for return shipping. (Cruthfield's return period is 60 days.)

As far as I know, all of the ID subwoofer makers, including JTR, will allow a free-return period excluding the cost of return shipping. The point I am making is that trial periods are pretty standard within the industry. Buying directly from SVS permits free-return shipping, within the 45-day period, and that part is a little different.

If the sub were shipped to you, in this case, then you may have to pay for return shipping, although that shouldn't be more than about $150. If it is just a matter of taking the sub back to the store it came from, you should get a full refund. Period!

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
well dang ig he’s not accepting private messages at this time..
If SVS can't do anything for you, stick it up for sale in the Youthman Classifieds group on Facebook for $1,800 - $2,000 local pickup only. Should go pretty quickly - I've learned with this stuff that the best thing to do at a certain point is accept and learn from the mistake and move on. Otherwise you'll be reminded of your mistake every time you look at the sub and that stinks. We've all been there in one way or another so don't feel bad.

How much did you pay? Was there tax, etc?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Ya I’m trying to return it but I bought the sub for like 2100. He said he has to charge me a 1000$ restocking fee. It’s just really disappointing cause he said he would honor the 45 day in home trial. And the whole reason I got an svs was for that reason to try it out but I got it through the authorized dealer because it was cheaper. I thought the sub was gonna be right for me and be exactly what I wanted but it turns out I found a better on and it isn’t what I expected. So now it’s still within that 45 day time frame and they aren’t gonna take it back like they said. I wonder if that’s illegal for them to say that and then just Completely lie and not do it. I don’t know what to do. Jtr people called me but since I don’t have the pb16 figured I’m not comfortable pulling the trigger on the 2400. Uhhg this is stressful i don’t know what to do. Any of you guys have any ideas?
This is a pretty ****ty business practice and I'm quite certained that @edmullen would want to know that their "Authorized" dealers are operating in this manner. I would strongly advise you to PM Ed and see what his thoughts are on the matter.

[EDIT] I was all flustered after reading this and totally missed that Mike had already suggested the same thing. Lol

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
15341 - 15360 of 15498 Posts