AVS Forum banner

2001 - 2020 of 14754 Posts

·
Vendor
30,291 Posts
I apologize if my level of detail and scrutiny makes you defensive, that was not my intention, I just want to gauge your environment because it plays a big role
That room looks pretty sweet to me, I can tell ya that ;)

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Welcome back Mark ! :)
Thanks Craig! Good to see you here again.

John Ballentine said:
Hi Mark!
We bought our RS1's together in March 2007. Then we almost pulled the trigger (via AVS power buy) on the RS2, when suddenly the RS20 was announced. Then in 2010 the Amazing RS35 was released, which I've been using ever since. I too am very impressed w/ RS-640! What a GIANT leap forward from the RS35! When I have time I'll write my thoughts in more detail. I'm so impressed w/ BD's I haven't even had a chance to try HDR yet! Maybe this weekend.
Hi John! Wow! It's been a long time. Yes I remember the RS-1 and RS-20 discussions. I didn't know that you purchased an RS-35 and now a 640 though. I've yet to watch any SDR content on the 640 yet. I haven't been able to tear my eyes away from the few HDR/UHD disks that I've purchased. I can't wait to hear your thoughts about the 640.

tehotaone said:
Is William Phelps going to stop by to do panel alignments? How about Mark Rejhorn (sp?)
Those are definitely some names from the past. I was just thinking the other day about Wm and wondering what he has been up to. I'll have to send him an e-mail. He was kind enough to do a full cal on my RS-35 but I haven't chatted with him in a long time. Mark Rejhon is going way, way back. Mark was the guy who first told me about AVS. I joined back in '98 or '99 but created a new account with my full name because that was encouraged. I haven't heard from him in decades.

Time to get the band back together lol. Where is Tryg, Mark Haflich, Darin, Mark Foster, David Beatty (Whisperflow hush box), Alan G., Jason Turk and the many others from the glory days?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Yes wasn't Wm Phelps the master of adjusting the LUT's to get accurate gray scale tracking back in the pre-RS1 days?
Not just accurate color LUTs but he also came up with a scheme that drastically improved panel shading/uniformity. He did it by reverse engineering the JVC projectors. Not an easy task. I think he gave the auto shading techniques to JVC.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Yes the first D-ILA, hairdryer loud, zero contrast but a silky clean picture. Hushboxes required! ;)

He was / is the man. I wonder if he could do these new units?
Good question. I mentioned that he did the cal on my RS-35, I don't know if he did any projectors after the RS-35 though. He calibrated every JVC HD2K projector that was branded by Faroudja and I think that continued all the way up through 4K projectors.

Ahh the first D-ILA days of yor. The hairdryer loud G-11 was calibrated for max brightness and had terrible contrast and color temp. But after calibrating it for contrast and color it was not bad compared to other projectors at the time. About 800:1 on/off. :D:D:D

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had my Davis DL450, same a Alan with a Panamorph.

Do you remember the prolific poster from NYC with the first 3 chip DLP and an ISCO?

He was posing a lot back then... very knowledgeable die hard movie fan. His name escapes me..!?!

( Sorry for the sidebar guys )

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi Mark!
We bought our RS1's together in March 2007. Then we almost pulled the trigger (via AVS power buy) on the RS2, when suddenly the RS20 was announced. Then in 2010 the Amazing RS35 was released, which I've been using ever since. I too am very impressed w/ RS-640! What a GIANT leap forward from the RS35! When I have time I'll write my thoughts in more detail. I'm so impressed w/ BD's I haven't even had a chance to try HDR yet! Maybe this weekend.
"I'm so impressed w/ BD's I haven't even had a chance to try HDR yet!"

I've also just upgraded from an RS35 to the RS640.

After 31hrs, according to the bulb timer, I've just reached what I consider 'dialed in' on the 640 for HD/SDR.

And the HD-SDR performance by itself justifies the upgrade cost to me. :)

I am still not satisfied with any HDR I've attempted. Seems to go into a green tint on the highlights / brightest regions. But I know I still have more study and tests, cal work including Arve Curves I'm sure, to go before that meets my 'good enough' rating.

==
BTW, the Spyder5 I have is inadequate in regards to chromaticity.

I reached what I consider good by restoring the init.cbd, after extensive testing/measuring of several autocal results with an i1d3 referenced off an i1 Pro, and doing an autocal of *gamma only* with the Spyder.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I will post a pic of the room.
Very nice room, Tehotaone. My screen, however, is 1.1 gain.

So if you sit for 5 mins in your room and let your eyes adjust, can you see anything? When I do that I can't see my screen, I can't see a single feature of the room.
Thanks, I tried your suggestion and also moved my PJ forward a bit to test. And yes, I COULD make out my shadow more easily from -9 up on the iris. With -15, it is there but not very visibly so. When I first got this PJ, I reported that my shadow over the screen was not easily made out when the iris was closed down and I think maybe now it became more difficult after the lamp dimmed a tad after use. And perhaps the long throw was "throwing" me off a bit too.

I apologize if my level of detail and scrutiny makes you defensive, that was not my intention, I just want to gauge your environment because it plays a big role
Oh no, not at all...I had put a smiley face after that comment showing I was teasing.

·
Registered
19,678 Posts
Thanks Craig! Good to see you here again.

Hi John! Wow! It's been a long time. Yes I remember the RS-1 and RS-20 discussions. I didn't know that you purchased an RS-35 and now a 640 though. I've yet to watch any SDR content on the 640 yet. I haven't been able to tear my eyes away from the few HDR/UHD disks that I've purchased. I can't wait to hear your thoughts about the 640.

Those are definitely some names from the past. I was just thinking the other day about Wm and wondering what he has been up to. I'll have to send him an e-mail. He was kind enough to do a full cal on my RS-35 but I haven't chatted with him in a long time. Mark Rejhon is going way, way back. Mark was the guy who first told me about AVS. I joined back in '98 or '99 but created a new account with my full name because that was encouraged. I haven't heard from him in decades.

Time to get the band back together lol. Where is Tryg, Mark Haflich, Darin, Mark Foster, David Beatty (Whisperflow hush box), Alan G., Jason Turk and the many others from the glory days?
Shoot me an email and I'll give you a link to where Alan G. currently hangs out ! ;)

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,013 ·

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
==
BTW, the Spyder5 I have is inadequate in regards to chromaticity.

I reached what I consider good by restoring the init.cbd, after extensive testing/measuring of several autocal results with an i1d3 referenced off an i1 Pro, and doing an autocal of *gamma only* with the Spyder.
No Surprise there.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
The noise is the same as to what I am seeing. Definitely not more.
IMO it's a wee bit less but nothing that anyone could detect from the seat.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Has anyone else who have the new models got anything to report on motion now?
Arrow states that motion now id fantastic with CMD, have any of you that never used it checked it out, I would love to know?
He has been using it on HIGH which in the past was a NO NO!
I would love "other" reports on the "new" CMD and why is it better than the old one say on the 7500/9500?
What have they done to improve it so as one can now use it on HIGH???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Arrow states that motion now id fantastic with CMD, have any of you that never used it checked it out, I would love to know?
I would love "other" reports on the "new" CMD and why is it better than the old one say on the 7500/9500?
I wonder the same :)

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I wonder the same :)
Arrow also suggested that he wasn't bothered by soap opera effect (SOE).

The good news is there's no banding. But I do see SOE even in low. And with CMD on, there appears to be a slight brightness uptick while colors appear to take on a slightly de-saturated look, on mine at least.

CMD set to High is not unlike low, with a greater level of motion smoothing but even more pronounced SOE on mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Arrow also suggested that he wasn't bothered by soap opera effect (SOE).

The good news is there's no banding. But I do see SOE even in low. And with CMD on, there appears to be a slight brightness uptick while colors appear to take on a slightly de-saturated look, on mine at least.

CMD set to High is not unlike low, with a greater level of motion smoothing but even more pronounced SOE on mine.
This is torture !
I won't be able to have a look at those beauty befor my HT is done, and this won't be befor march at best.
No retailer within reach where I live +/- 600 km ! so no demo possible.

I am entirely depending on you guys to get all the info (and tease), befor ordering :)

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
This is torture !
I won't be able to have a look at those beauty befor my HT is done, and this won't be befor march at best.
No retailer within reach where I leave +/- 600 km ! so no demo possible.

I am entirely depending on you guys to get all the info (and tease), befor ordering :)
Are you in the U.S. What general area do you live in.

2001 - 2020 of 14754 Posts