AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 14068 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Let's give him one more hour then.....

I've got my finger on the ban button....so you can just give me the word? :D
According to my Mickey Mouse watch; the little hand is on the Ban and the big hand is on the Him.

Hopefully the image was so amazing he is in a state of euphoria unable to be awakened by the screaming throng of AVS'ers who need their JVC fix. :D

Reactions: rboster

·
26,161 Posts
According to my Mickey Mouse watch; the little hand is on the Ban and the big hand is on the Him.

Hopefully the image was so amazing he is in a state of euphoria unable to be awakened by the screaming throng of AVS'ers who need their JVC fix. :D
Could be as simple as he hasn't gotten permission from his spouse. :D ;)

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
The comment regarding CMD Low being closer to Motionflow Low was very interesting. Thanks for your impressions. Not many people comment about motion.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
The comment regarding CMD Low being closer to Motionflow Low was very interesting. Thanks for your impressions. Not many people comment about motion.
I could be wrong. I will take another look at some other content, like the panning of the cars in the open of La La Land. I remember how that looked pretty good, because that's what I used to test out all of the motion enhancement options.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I could be wrong. I will take another look at some other content, like the panning of the cars in the open of La La Land. I remember how that looked pretty good, because that's what I used to test out all of the motion enhancement options.
Rumor has it that JVC uses Pixelworks frame interpolation but prior to the latest models was using an older version for some reason. Pixelworks is well regarded among fans of FI (I've never personally seen it). So this could certainly align with your observations.

A VERY good torture test is the opening of X Men Apocalypse.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. I hope I am in the lucky lottery with mine. :) I wish we had a 970 and 990 already. I'm really curious if the difference was enough to justify the price increase.

Motion is personally for me, one of the bigger sticking points. Poor motion application takes me out of a movie quicker than just about anything else. I hated the motion on my 4810. Really liking the fact it sounds like JVC has improved in this area.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. I hope I am in the lucky lottery with mine. :) I wish we had a 970 and 990 already. .
I wish I could see Larson's x990. I'd love to know if there is something he is doing differently which is making his observations so different than mine and Aztar. I basically turned my x990 on, tweaked the red and blue convergence and that was it. No other tweaks to anything. (not yet anyways :) )

I know he is working with his dealer and JVC on a remedy, but I'd hate to see him go through the trouble, just to end up with a similar experience because it was not the fault of the projector.

I hope he is able to find peace of mind one way or another. Otherwise he will always be second guessing what he should have done.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I wish I could see Larson's x990. I'd love to know if there is something he is doing differently which is making his observations so different than mine and Aztar. I basically turned my x990 on, tweaked the red and blue convergence and that was it. No other tweaks to anything. (not yet anyways :) )

I know he is working with his dealer and JVC on a remedy, but I'd hate to see him go through the trouble, just to end up with a similar experience because it was not the fault of the projector.

I hope he is able to find peace of mind one way or another. Otherwise he will always be second guessing what he should have done.
Speak of the devil. Guess I'll see if I hit the lucky lottery. Theater is a couple months from finishing but you better believe I will be hooking this guy up.

JVC.jpg

Reactions: rboster

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
- full panel RGB convergence = A+

Convergence was uniform and very good, but not perfect. Just a few clicks of both the RED and BLUE Fine Pixel Whole Panel adjustments and I had perfect white lines across the entire panel. I did not need to go beyond the WHOLE adjustment mode to tweak areas of the panel. Very impressive. I'd note I do not have a line on the right side of the panel, but if I did I would just MASK it off and call it a day.
hi, how long was the projector running when you did the convergence? cold boot or ~20-30 mins warm up? -7 on the blue seems like a good amount of shift to correct.

edit: I see it was the fine adjustment not whole pixel. Did you see it move much between cold boot and warmup?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #311 (Edited)
how long was the projector running when you did the convergence? cold boot or ~20-30 mins warm up? -7 on the blue seems like a good amount of shift to correct. edit: I see it was the fine adjustment not whole pixel. Did you see it move much between cold boot and warmup?
The regular full pixel adjust was far too much. The x990 had been on about 10 minutes before I adjusted and i didnot check it again. I will try to see how 30 minutes of on time causes red or blue to drift and let that become the new adjustment if needed.

I did not consider a warm up period to a allow for minor thermal expanison of the panels. Thanks for that tip. Maybe I jumped the gun?

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
The regular full pixel adjust was far too much. The x990 had been on about 10 minutes before I adjusted and i didnot check it again. I will try to see how 30 minutes of on time causes red or blue to drift and let that become the new adjustment if needed.

I did not consider a warm up period to a allow for minor thermal expanison of the panels. Thanks for that tip. Maybe I jumped the gun?

hi, definitely check after it's warmed up ~30 mins. My RS600 is off a hair cold boot but is 0 / 0 adjustment after warmup.

good luck and enjoy the new projector.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts

Good stuff, Byte. Happy for you.

As far as Larsen, I wonder if projecting on a wall is throwing him off.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
@Bytehoven

Thanks for your thoughts and impressions:)....

The new E-Shift 5 sounds like it will make the difference i was looking for over the previous E-Shift 4 series... I am "hoping" that JVC go all out with the 20LTD and really scrutinise the components used in its manufacture.....if so it is shaping up to be an awesome projector.. I really wish it was closer to its arrival date :(

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
@Bytehoven

Nice write up thanks for investing your time!
Seeing your photos I think I prefer the "normal" hdr mode. I can't wait to test eshift sharpness myself. Note to actually see image noise you have to watch moving images, on standstill it's hard to tell from grain IMO but great to hear it seems to be an improvement and that you definitely appreciate the contrast advantage (me too) that shows that in theory we should see it on the LTD too.
Enjoy the PJ.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
Note to actually see image noise you have to watch moving images, on standstill it's hard to tell from grain PJ.
Yes, I did the test while in motion,rewinding and watching the scene over and over. I just took the stills to make sure I was in the place that had been suggested.

Regarding the 20LTD... I hope so as well, frankly I expect so. That being said, I have a hard time imagining how much better than "awesome" you can actually get. Perfect black out without the need of the iris. An even higher quality example of the lens, perfect in every way that can be sorted. For those paying the price, your deserve the top shelf specimen.

One day I hope I get to see a 20LTD in action. Is anyone in the mid-atlantic area of the US getting a 20LTD? How about hosting a preview? I'll bring the Mexican Caviar and an extended play version of "Back in Love Again" by LTD. :)

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Yes, I did the test while in motion,rewinding and watching the scene over and over. I just took the stills to make sure I was in the place that had been suggested.

Regarding the 20LTD... I hope so as well, frankly I expect so. That being said, I have a hard time imagining how much better than "awesome" you can actually get. Perfect black out without the need of the iris. An even higher quality example of the lens, perfect in every way that can be sorted. For those paying the price, your deserve the top shelf specimen.

One day I hope I get to see a 20LTD in action. Is anyone in the mid-atlantic area of the US getting a 20LTD? How about hosting a preview? I'll bring the Mexican Caviar and an extended play version of "Back in Love Again" by LTD. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WGyix05PA4
Yeah I am wondering myself how much better it can get over a good sample of a 9900?? The contrast is a given it will be noticeable especially with HDR mode on iris at 0, apart from that not sure but we shall see. I am only getting one because quite possibly this is the end of the line for the lamp based units and perhaps nothing will touch it contrast wise ever or for a very long time. I think it will be a keeper like a V8 Lexus I had that was the last of it's kind and was awesome. One thing I am quite sue of there won't be any QC issues.

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
@Bytehoven

Nice write up thanks for investing your time!
Seeing your photos I think I prefer the "normal" hdr mode. I can't wait to test eshift sharpness myself. Note to actually see image noise you have to watch moving images, on standstill it's hard to tell from grain IMO but great to hear it seems to be an improvement and that you definitely appreciate the contrast advantage (me too) that shows that in theory we should see it on the LTD too.
Enjoy the PJ.
My personal test is this:

Walk up really close to the screen, look inside the blue monitor graphic, you will see buzzing in there with eshift on and clean colour with it off... I will try to take a video of this very thing close up with my Canon C100.

I just heard today my unit is likely to arrive the start of the week of the 23rd, so its looking like Monday week or so before I will have mine... Cant wait.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Bytehoven, thanks for sharing your observations.

Did you check for vertical streaking from the lens? Attached are some images from Wolverine credits. First image is original frame captured directly from the disc (you can use this for testing if you don't own the movie). Second image is as it appeared on another JVC model. Third image is what it looked like if you block the bright text from view with hand/object so your eyes can better focus on the streaking.

Another issue I'm curious about is whether there is any improvement in lens reflections. This would show up as bright objects on dark backgrounds being mirrored to the opposite side of the screen. It was very obvious if you adjusted lens shift because the reflections would move around independently of the original bright object. They were ghost images of the original bright object but on a different part of the screen. I have attached some pause icon patterns that would show it (pausing on a dark scene with a flashlight, headlights, etc. would also reveal it). There are many old threads discussing this defect such as this one. Large amounts of vertical or horizontal lens shift sometimes helped to move these reflections off the screen. Last image is what it looked like on JVC X500 as show by Seegs here.

Mostly wondering if JVC has made any progress on either of those two issues since I had my RS600. Thanks.

Edit: See also this post with images of streaking and internal reflections using the attached test patterns on an RS640.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Bytehoven, thanks for sharing your observations. Did you check for vertical streaking from the lens? Thanks.
I have not seen anything like that on any of my recent projectors. Now keep in mind, when i mount my k projector on the ceiling, the projector is slightly above the top of the screen.

For my review yesterday, I sat the x990 on top of a rack box which had the x990 oriented slightly below the bottom of the screen.

So maybe I have never had my projectors located such that these internal reflections would get refelected forward, instead of at an angle off the screen like you suggest. However, i can try sending my 4k editing desktop out to the x990, set up a black field and move a 100% object around the field and see what happens.

When I 1st looked at your pics, i thought it looked like my sony 949 lcd/led tv when viewed at an angle.

Thinking back, I might have had something like your artifact with my old NEC ht1000, when it was mounted on a shelf, positioned roughly in tgge center of the screen.

Javs has his projector shelf mounted lower than the top of the screen, maybe he could comment.

301 - 320 of 14068 Posts