AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 14079 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I use a Lumagen Radiance 2041 with a JVC X500 in autocalibrate mode, but it still requires some basic level pre calibration setting up. It is however much easier than spending hours trying to manually calibrate the projector like I used to with my HD350 (RS10). My 2041 can correct at 21 greyscale/gamma points and 729 colour points.

If you really have no clue about calibration, then it could still be a frustrating exercise: I learnt how to do it manually first, then progressed to Chromapure/Lumagen autocal later.

It's an easy way of sorting out the typical JVC gamma droop and getting a very accurate picture using a decent sensor (as opposed to using JVC autocal, which relies on a more budget, less accurate sensor).

Correct.
Thanks, I am hoping to figure it out with a little help along the way
dan

·
Registered
134 Posts
Bytehoven, thanks for sharing your observations.

Did you check for vertical streaking from the lens? Attached are some images from Wolverine credits. First image is original frame captured directly from the disc (you can use this for testing if you don't own the movie). Second image is as it appeared on another JVC model. Third image is what it looked like if you block the bright text from view with hand/object so your eyes can better focus on the streaking.

Another issue I'm curious about is whether there is any improvement in lens reflections. This would show up as bright objects on dark backgrounds being mirrored to the opposite side of the screen. It was very obvious if you adjusted lens shift because the reflections would move around independently of the original bright object. They were ghost images of the original bright object but on a different part of the screen. I have attached some pause icon patterns that would show it (pausing on a dark scene with a flashlight, headlights, etc. would also reveal it). There are many old threads discussing this defect such as this one. Large amounts of vertical or horizontal lens shift sometimes helped to move these reflections off the screen. Last image is what it looked like on JVC X500 as show by Seegs here.

Mostly wondering if JVC has made any progress on either of those two issues since I had my RS600. Thanks.
I have no vertical streaking on my unit. My previous RS400 streaked bad on opening image, the D-ILA white logo over the black background. My x790 has none.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Motion is personally for me, one of the bigger sticking points. Poor motion application takes me out of a movie quicker than just about anything else. I hated the motion on my 4810. Really liking the fact it sounds like JVC has improved in this area.
Are we talking native motion, or FI motion? I really wish people would be clear about which one they're talking about. I don't like the FI on my RS600, but that's because when I turn it on, it looks like I turned it on (SOE/"liquid diareah" :eek: ). But whenever I think I see a native motion issue with my RS600, if I look at the same thing on my Planar 8150, I see the same thing there, so I just don't get the "poor motion" comments about recent JVCs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks for the detailed review, @Bytehoven. Definitely makes it a lot easier to pull the trigger on the 990 vs the 790. :)

A lot has already been addressed, but I do have a question. You mention right at the beginning that projecting from 15' was just far enough to stretch the image to a 115" diagonal 2.35:1 screen.

Based on the JVC screen calculator, you should be able to do a 140" diagonal 2.35:1 screen. Were you talking about HDR performance suffering should you go to a bigger screen size?

I just wanted to make sure that I'm reading things correctly. I will be at a 14'6" throw distance and a 135" diagonal 2.35:1 screen which seems to be the limit for the x990.

Thanks again for the review and enjoy your new baby!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Are we talking native motion, or FI motion? I really wish people would be clear about which one they're talking about. I don't like the FI on my RS600, but that's because when I turn it on, it looks like I turned it on (SOE/"liquid diareah" :eek: ). But whenever I think I see a native motion issue with my RS600, if I look at the same thing on my Planar 8150, I see the same thing there, so I just don't get the "poor motion" comments about recent JVCs.
I think its a hard issue to discuss as most projectors (excluding DLP) have the standard native motion resolution but they way they process motion comes off as different to each Brand/model. Plus people see motion in different ways.

I had a Epson TW5500 (9500UB in US) for number of years and maybe i just got too use to it but i find the native motion more natural than a Epson 5040 and a JVC 420. That is with no FI on at all. There native motion resolution should be the same but i find the Epson gave a smoother more consistent natural image.

I recently tried a Sony 285 and the native motion again felt better than the JVC 420 and Epson 5040.

I have gone back to a old Epson tw5500 and will now wait for 4K laser 18gbs hdmi unless i can demo a JVC x790 and see if motion has been improved, native or with FI.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Since you seem to cut and paste this every time the subject of motion comes up I'll bite. And sheesh I wish you guys would learn to spell diarrhea since you think it's so cute (and I've read the article by the way).

Personally I'm talking about BOTH native and with frame interpolation.

When watching 24fps material on a JVC with all enhancements off the amount of judder present makes it unwatchable IMO. A Sony with all enhancements off exhibits a lot less IMO.

I prefer to watch both brands with motion smoothing enabled on it's lowest setting. This greatly reduces or eliminates judder on both brands without what I consider excessive SOE. In my tests Motionflow is more effective with less artifacts than CMD. These observations were done on a RS420. JVC may have improved performance when they addresses CMD banding.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #329 (Edited)
You should check for any discolouration using a 1-pixel line white pattern. 1/16 pixel adjust are electronic adjustments and causes discolouration.
discoloration in moire patterns? I'm also gonna take zombie's advice and see if the works once the projector warms up.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Thanks for the detailed review, @Bytehoven. Definitely makes it a lot easier to pull the trigger on the 990 vs the 790. :)

A lot has already been addressed, but I do have a question. You mention right at the beginning that projecting from 15' was just far enough to stretch the image to a 115" diagonal 2.35:1 screen.
Sorry, the actual distance was 12' 3" from the front of the x990 to the screen. I'll correct my post. Thanks in case someone was to use my info for their own HT setup.

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
For those who feel FI looks like liquid diarrhea (I'm not in this group), you could also use the term Ericglo-Flow. :D

Bytehoven, what movie scenes did you test with CMD to check for banding? I should have my 790 today and I will run through a number of the known suspects in the next few days (or tonight if time) that we documented in the banding thread to see if banding is gone in full or part, but just curious which ones you checked?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I think its a hard issue to discuss as most projectors (excluding DLP) have the standard native motion resolution but they way they process motion comes off as different to each Brand/model. Plus people see motion in different ways.

I had a Epson TW5500 (9500UB in US) for number of years and maybe i just got too use to it but i find the native motion more natural than a Epson 5040 and a JVC 420. That is with no FI on at all. There native motion resolution should be the same but i find the Epson gave a smoother more consistent natural image.

I recently tried a Sony 285 and the native motion again felt better than the JVC 420 and Epson 5040.

I have gone back to a old Epson tw5500 and will now wait for 4K laser 18gbs hdmi unless i can demo a JVC x790 and see if motion has been improved, native or with FI.
I'm not saying there's not a difference, but some folks are really sensitive to FI and really care about that, and some people are really sensitive to native motion and care about that, but both groups seem to use the same generic "motion" phrase when talking about it. I was watching something on my RS600 this weekend and though that there was a decent amount of judder, so I fired it up on my Planar 8150 and it was pretty much the same. And I've tried CMD on Low, but it's way to SOE for me.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Bytehoven, what movie scenes did you test with CMD to check for banding?
Being in a rush and I had the Roku Ultra online, I just logged into Netflix and ran some of the Dare Devil stuff.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks for all of the first impressions! I'm so excited to get my RS540!

How loud is the fan noise when set to low? I'm coming from a Panny AE8000 and its low setting is basically inaudible sitting 4 feet away.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
I have not seen anything like that on any of my recent projectors. Now keep in mind, when i mount my k projector on the ceiling, the projector is slightly above the top of the screen.
Most of the internal lens reflections are because of the Eshift glass element inside the projector. I wouldn’t expect this to have been improved at all.
I've got a retroreflective screen so have always placed projectors near screen center for maximum gain. That usually put those nasty reflections dead center since I had virtually no lens shift.

It's not caused by e-shift. I've seen those on multiple JVC units dating back to the RS40 which had no e-shift at all. It's reflections inside the lens or body of the projector. Since JVC has been iterating on this same basic chassis and design since RS40 from 2010, I keep hoping they would improve some of these long-standing issues.

I have no vertical streaking on my unit. My previous RS400 streaked bad on opening image, the D-ILA white logo over the black background. My x790 has none.
Glad to hear the vertical lens streaking is not an issue on your unit. Maybe the higher priced units do offer some advantages because Chad B. noted the same thing on his RS420 review unit:

" Watching Trolls on Blu Ray with my family was a very enjoyable experience, although when the ending credits rolled, I was surprised to see a downward streaking effect on white letters set against a black background. It was almost as if the letters were dripping or leaving a faint trail underneath them."

·
Registered
28,820 Posts
I have a RS540 on order and I had a question about the throw, my seating distance is 16' and the screen is 110" 16x9 Elite Screens 1.1 gain in Cinewhite . I want to maximize brightness in HDR, do I go with the minimum throw? Projector Central recommends about 15' but can go as low as 11'. I have no ambient light, the walls are beige with black curtains and ceiling is white. I do have flexibility with the throw and the wall won't allow for anything larger than 110". I may go with a 1.2 gain Cinegray in the future. This is my 1st HDR/4k projector.
Yes, due to HDR needing all the brightness that we can get, I would go very close to minimum throw.

·
Registered
28,820 Posts
I am going to standardise it at 30cm... there, I did it for ou guys.

30cm or 12inches. Zoom the projector image to its SMALLEST. Low Lamp -0 iris.

Highjinx, if you go a page or two back to see my paper test, I highlighted where the image area is on my pic that shows the black bar. I woujldnt care less what goes on outside the picture area, but that black bar extends into the picture area to pretty close to where you would expect to see a 2.35:1 bar.
That is much more reasonable than many I have seen. A lot of people took them with the paper 4" or less from the lens. Can't test mine this way. No light comes out of the projector, if I hit the hide button. :)

·
Registered
14,464 Posts
Glad to hear the vertical lens streaking is not an issue on your unit. Maybe the higher priced units do offer some advantages because Chad B. noted the same thing on his RS420 review unit:

" Watching Trolls on Blu Ray with my family was a very enjoyable experience, although when the ending credits rolled, I was surprised to see a downward streaking effect on white letters set against a black background. It was almost as if the letters were dripping or leaving a faint trail underneath them."
I've seen some very bad lens streaking on a couple of RS400s. It wasn't just on credits (no big deal really) but darker scenes like a street light shooting a vertical streak. Unacceptable from a normal viewing position. I didn't see the issue on the RS500s, RS4810, or X500 to any notable degree. The LS10000s are generally excellent in this area too.

321 - 340 of 14079 Posts