AVS Forum banner

4781 - 4800 of 14079 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
I noticed the same thing with the input level. Also read it in the sound and vision review as well. Seems like with input set to Auto/Standard that the below black content is clipped. Setting to enhanced preserves it. But this also seems to really raise the black floor and the brightness needs to be dropped pretty dramatically to compensate.

What does everyone set their input level to? If you use Auto/standard how do you avoid clipping below black?

Search the thread for the explanation but my understanding is you’re not losing any real world content with auto- enhanced should not be used for home theater viewing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
@Bytehoven

Just wanted to say thank you for posting up with updated settings for both SDR HD and HDR UHD with the Oppo 203. The changes were very easy to implement and for the first time I am satisfied (thrilled in fact) with my new X990! I'm sure as I put more hours on issues will crop up here and there but I believe I'm 90% there which is refreshing!

You mention possibly having a professional calibration done. Is there someone you would recommend in Eastern PA that does onsite, professional calibration?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Watched Netflix last night. The content was streamed in '4k UHD'. It looked very nice with the standard, out of the box HDR settings. Tested the same stream with my preferred SDR HD picture preset and didn't look nearly as nice.

I was very surprised that the OTB HDR picture preset looked so good for this stream. Its the only material I've watched that claims to be 4K UHD that looks awesome with the OTB HDR picture preset.

Anyone else notice this with Netflix 4K streams?

·
Registered
253 Posts
The Oppo has four preset modes that are easy to navigate. On the clipping, I haven't seen it yet. However, I have to say that it might just be because I've used it with limited content.

Re: your point on the curves. --was just trying to give you a break. :) Your curves are awesome too. And yes, why not; the Panasonic is still a great player.
Does anyone know if the HDR to SDR mapping in the Oppo 203 is using superwhite(16-255) or standard/auto range (16-235)? I'm wondering if this might be causing the conflicting user experiences of highlight clipping.

Thinking of picking up an Oppo 203 anyway for its SACD and Hires Audio streaming ability.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Watched Netflix last night. The content was streamed in '4k UHD'. It looked very nice with the standard, out of the box HDR settings. Tested the same stream with my preferred SDR HD picture preset and didn't look nearly as nice.

I was very surprised that the OTB HDR picture preset looked so good for this stream. Its the only material I've watched that claims to be 4K UHD that looks awesome with the OTB HDR picture preset.

Anyone else notice this with Netflix 4K streams?
I've noticed HDR Netflix 4K streams to be all over the place in terms of their "dynamic-ness" (forgive my lack of technicality). For instance, Mindhunter is very dark, almost washed out looking at times, I actually bumped up the slider on the UB900 to make it watchable for me. On the other hand Altered Carbon is near reference quality for HDR, it seriously looks almost as good as on my OLED.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,786
@Bytehoven

Just wanted to say thank you for posting up with updated settings for both SDR HD and HDR UHD with the Oppo 203. The changes were very easy to implement and for the first time I am satisfied (thrilled in fact) with my new X990! I'm sure as I put more hours on issues will crop up here and there but I believe I'm 90% there which is refreshing!

You mention possibly having a professional calibration done. Is there someone you would recommend in Eastern PA that does onsite, professional calibration?
http://www.hdtvbychadb.com

Chad B is someone well regarded and he has traveling tours. Visit the website linked above for more info.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/586330-isf-calibrators-where-you-located-please-post-here.html

This is an AVS thread where calibrators are invited to post. I have not checked it out.

·
Registered
14,464 Posts
@Bytehoven

I would highly recommend Chad B and getting on his travel schedule. JVCs, overall, can be a little trickier to calibrate particularly doing the auto cal process and creating custom gamma curves properly. I know for a fact there are calibrators that do neither, but Chad has this completely nailed down.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Search the thread for the explanation but my understanding is you’re not losing any real world content with auto- enhanced should not be used for home theater viewing.

Thanks - I have been reading through the thread and did see some of those responses. It is hard to tell about the losing real world content which is what the reference patterns are for. I will take another look at my calibration patterns tonight and see what I see. I checked my original Sony bluray with the patterns before hooking up the Oppo 203 and it definitely was not passing below black with the Auto setting. Will check with the Oppo.

I guess I need to buy a Spyder and see what my gamma really looks like so I can try some of the curves that everyone is raving about. I think the default HDR looks pretty good on my x790. Some of the UHD disks look amazing and for the most part the Netflix HDR/Amazon HDR is incredible. It definitely makes me not miss watching on my OLED as much (black levels still aren't quite there but highlight pop definitely is).

I do think the blacks can looked crushed - especially the opening scene of Blade Runner 2049... and even in some SDR content. I was watching Brawl on Cell Block 99 off Amazon streaming (plain SDR version) from Roku through Oppo and the blacks definitely seemed crushed. That said I have no idea what this movie looks like on another display (will have to check on my OLED). So long story short ... need to invest some time and money in calibration of this projector.

Overall extremely happy with it... some of the scenes I have checked out from dark movies look incredible compared to what my DLP looked like.... definitely no grey blacks to be found!

·
Vendor
26,686 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Thanks - I have been reading through the thread and did see some of those responses. It is hard to tell about the losing real world content which is what the reference patterns are for. I will take another look at my calibration patterns tonight and see what I see. I checked my original Sony bluray with the patterns before hooking up the Oppo 203 and it definitely was not passing below black with the Auto setting. Will check with the Oppo.
I think the problem is with the Spears and Munsil Test Patterns Disk as it relates to use with the JVC though I have no idea as to why some of the S&M patterns don't work right without changing to the expanded color choice. People using the S&M disk with the Epson 5040/6040 have reported the same problem on the S&M thread.

As others mentioned, leave the input set to "Auto" as all normal content displays correctly. For calibration, I'd use the secret Sony patterns contained on their UHD discs or possibly try the Masciola (I might have spelled that incorrectly) test patterns that I think have worked fine for everyone.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think the problem is with the Spears and Munsil Test Patterns Disk as it relates to use with the JVC though I have no idea as to why some of the S&M patterns don't work right without changing to the expanded color choice. People using the S&M disk with the Epson 5040/6040 have reported the same problem on the S&M thread.

As others mentioned, leave the input set to "Auto" as all normal content displays correctly. For calibration, I'd use the secret Sony patterns contained on their UHD discs or possibly try the Masciola (I might have spelled that incorrectly) test patterns that I think have worked fine for everyone.
I was using this... Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics when hooked through my Sony Bluray player and saw the below black getting clipped. I am going to try it again through the Oppo... with both Oppo 203 and JVC set to Auto.

I will try the Masciola patterns thanks for that tip. I did look at the sony patterns hidden on the Fifth Element UHD disc and had to push the brightness way up to over 20 to get the black level set as described in Javs curvers tutorial which seemed too high... need to double check it.

UPDATE:

I tried both Digital Video Essential HD and the AVS Forum Calibration disk (AVSHD .709 ) and with both disks below black content is NOT displayed with the x790 set to Input Level Auto/Standard. Setting input level to Enhanced does allow both calibration disks to display below black content when turning brightness up. This was using the Oppo 203 connected directly to the x790 hdm1 port.

I have attached a pic with brightness cranked and showing the pluge pattern and not showing the below black bar. The second pic shows from the bluray menu what it should look like before turning down so below black is just visible.

How are you all setting your brightness level on this projector to guarantee you aren't clipping slightly below black content?

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
I was using this... Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics when hooked through my Sony Bluray player and saw the below black getting clipped. I am going to try it again through the Oppo... with both Oppo 203 and JVC set to Auto.

I will try the Masciola patterns thanks for that tip. I did look at the sony patterns hidden on the Fifth Element UHD disc and had to push the brightness way up to over 20 to get the black level set as described in Javs curvers tutorial which seemed too high... need to double check it.

UPDATE:

I tried both Digital Video Essential HD and the AVS Forum Calibration disk (AVSHD .709 ) and with both disks below black content is NOT displayed with the x790 set to Input Level Auto/Standard. Setting input level to Enhanced does allow both calibration disks to display below black content when turning brightness up. This was using the Oppo 203 connected directly to the x790 hdm1 port.

I have attached a pic with brightness cranked and showing the pluge pattern and not showing the below black bar. The second pic shows from the bluray menu what it should look like before turning down so below black is just visible.

How are you all setting your brightness level on this projector to guarantee you aren't clipping slightly below black content?

I don’t want to see below black, right? I want black to be inky black. That’s why we paid for high contrast projectors. Maybe I’m off here.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts

UPDATE:

Black is supposed to be black, you are not supposed to resolve below level 16 being black with bar 17 flashing in SDR and in HDR you are not supposed to see below bar 64 using a true HDR test pattern (You can NOT use SDR clipping patterns for HDR).

It is not correct at all to attempt to resolve content below reference black.

For me in SDR to get bar 17 flashing with HDMI set to Standard I only need to go to brightness +1.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just for other's out there in different regions of the US.....

Chad B does your area as noted ;) >>> [email protected]

There is also D-Nice >>> [email protected]

then the master list..........

http://www.thxvideotech.com/forum/showthread.php?542-THX-Certified-Video-Calibrator

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058269

Is there a Chad B level calibrator in Australia that people recommend? I live in Melbourne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have got a JVC 5900 sitting just over 4 metres from my 106 inch Draper ReAct 3 ALR screen. I been playing around with the Oppo tone mapping and I?m finding 150nit and mode 3 to gives me the best picture. I read about people using the 300 or 400 nits setting but that is way to dim for me. Do you thing the ALR screen is affecting the nits choice. The projector is in low lamp mode and the screen as a gain of 1.0

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have got a JVC 5900 sitting just over 4 metres from my 106 inch Draper ReAct 3 ALR screen. I been playing around with the Oppo tone mapping and I?m finding 150nit and mode 3 to gives me the best picture. I read about people using the 300 or 400 nits setting but that is way to dim for me. Do you thing the ALR screen is affecting the nits choice. The projector is in low lamp mode and the screen as a gain of 1.0
Be carefull.....anything below 300 will induce alot of highlight clipping i use Mode 3 500/600 this clips white just above 4000nits.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Be carefull.....anything below 300 will induce alot of highlight clipping i use Mode 3 500/600 this clips white just above 4000nits.
The problem is that if I use 300 the picture is duller than the standard HDR setting on the 5900. I have watched a few clips of movies with clouds to try and dial in the clipping and at 150 it seems fine. I was thinking that the way an ALR screen works might be having an effect on the settings as you need a reasonably bright projector when using them.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The problem is that if I use 300 the picture is duller than the standard HDR setting on the 5900. I have watched a few clips of movies with clouds to try and dial in the clipping and at 150 it seems fine. I was thinking that the way an ALR screen works might be having an effect on the settings as you need a reasonably bright projector when using them.
I have been comparing @Javs V3 curves and the Oppo Tone mapping on my Z1/RS4500 . I find setting the nit value to 300 or under does clip alot of highlight detail . Using a value of 400 and up (500/600 is very good ) it pretty well matches @Javs 4000 nit curve,

Try HIGH lamp ...open the iris and try Mode 3 400/500....

If your struggling for light ( which you shouldnt be with that size screen ) your probably better of with @Javs 1200 nit curve..:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been comparing @Javs V3 curves and the Oppo Tone mapping on my Z1/RS4500 . I find setting the nit value to 300 or under does clip alot of highlight detail . Using a value of 400 and up (500/600 is very good ) it pretty well matches @Javs 4000 nit curve,

Try HIGH lamp ...open the iris and try Mode 3 400/500....

If your struggling for light ( which you shouldnt be with that size screen ) your probably better of with @Javs 1200 nit curve..
Thank you for your suggestions. I have been using the opening scene in Prometheus which with the sky and clouds would hopefully show any clipping. I have compared that scene at 150 nits mode 3 with my calibrated 65 Oled and I am struggling to see any difference. Looks like more head scratching is required on my part or a trip to the opticians is needed.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions. I have been using the opening scene in Prometheus which with the sky and clouds would hopefully show any clipping. I have compared that scene at 150 nits mode 3 with my calibrated 65 Oled and I am struggling to see any difference. Looks like more head scratching is required on my part or a trip to the opticians is needed.
Related to this point: I have a large screen (140" diag 2.35 AR) in my HT. Similar to Des, if go with 150 nits on the Oppo 203 the pic looks just perfect regarding brightness (although I'm in high lamp to achieve this). Whereas if I go much higher than 200 nits things turn out too dark.

My question for those who understand HDR is - with the Oppo 203 slider set to 150 nits am I seeing ANY benefit from HDR over SDR or is the Oppo stripping out 90% of the HDR benefit?

4781 - 4800 of 14079 Posts