AVS Forum banner

721 - 740 of 14058 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Now who's going to make a video tutorial on the JVC calibration process and the application/use of Arve's Tool :D

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Can someone with one of the new 40x series post a pic of the label on the box ( as per attached pic) showing the origin of manufacture...thanks..
Wonder if having several 'Manufacturing/Assembly centres' contribute to the varying QC levels we may be seeing.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Wonder if having several 'Manufacturing/Assembly centres' contribute to the varying QC levels we may be seeing.
Thats what i am wondering!

I am corresponding with a user here in Vic that got his X9900 on Friday..... Lets just say he is now regretting selling off his X9500!!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Thanks what i am wondering!

I am corresponding with a user here in Vic that got his X9900 on Friday..... Lets just say he is now regretting selling off his X9500!!
I hope the LTD20's are lovingly hand assembled in Japan, Thailand or China, with multiple levels of QC.

They'd had better be, specially at that premium price.

Reactions: Bytehoven

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #729 (Edited)
Can someone with one of the new 40x series post a pic of the label on the box ( as per attached pic) showing the origin of manufacture...thanks..
Here is a x990 if it helps.

Sorry to hear about your friend's x9900/ :(

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think they are having too much fun enjoying their new toy. I know a new x990 owner who said "I love it! Best projector ever!" Big smile on my face for sure. I shared aztar's 444 hdr settings and he liked them.
I used the 444 setting too and it was a nice change. I'm loving this projector, huge step up from my RS45.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone heard of any RS versions being received yet?

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
If anyone wants to try my Arve curves you are more than welcome, they should be fairly plug and play, the only thing you may want to check is weather you are at the right black level.

I have a 4000nit and 1000 nit curve.

You would need to upload each of these into the Custom Gamma slots, of which you have three.

I see no reason why the tool wouldnt work fine with these projectors, it may just throw a warning at you saying it doesnt recognise the model number, but if you hit ignore it will be fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0al692hl20s86d/Arve Curves.zip?dl=0

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
@Bytehoven what are you using as a source for the above images? Some of them are very soft and lacking detail....

What i am fearful of is that in order to cure/limit the banding produced via CMD that JVC havnt taken some sort of "shortcut" .
Some users of the previous models were cranking up the MPC option of "Smoothing" to hide/limit the severity of the banding , at the cost of severe image softening and detail loss....i am hoping JVC have not implemented the CMD "Fix" along these lines!

This would explain a couple of reports from current users who went from the X9500 to the X9900 and are complaining of "softer" images..

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I played around with The Great Wall tonight doing some ST2084 adjustments by eye, using the scenes where I could watch for white crush. I then dialed in (4) variations which have slightly different gamma tracks.

For each one, I kept the point of white crush the same, such that the mid and lower detail changed with the gamma track changes.

With Contrast = 0 and Brightness = 10 I ended up with the following.

Picture Tone = 4
Dark Level = 4
Bright Level = 0

Picture Tone = 6
Dark Level = 4
Bright Level = -3

Picture Tone = 7
Dark Level = 4
Bright Level = -4

Picture Tone = 8
Dark Level = 4
Bright Level = -5

As you move down thru these settings, the mid and lower details will become lighter as if moving from 2.4 to 2.3 to 2.2 to 2.1 Although I have now idea what they actually are.

I'd love get a reference from someone who attempts a 2.4 curve without doing a custom Arve curve, to see what settings you end up with.

You see some of the pics I have included switch between the extreme gamma curves of 4 4 0 and 8 4 -5. Lots of Pics. Enjoy.
Is there some reason you don't wish to use the Arve curves?

All the power to ya, but using the gamma controls on the ST 2084 EOTF is like stabbing in the dark.

And what's with brightness +10? Is that by eye too?

Was it you who was the video editor? Whats the HDR black clipping point you are aiming for? You want to be clipping bar 77 as black.

Pretty much like this:

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #736
@Bytehoven what are you using as a source for the above images? Some of them are very soft and lacking detail....

What i am fearful of is that in order to cure/limit the banding produced via CMD that JVC havnt taken some sort of "shortcut" .
Some users of the previous models were cranking up the MPC option of "Smoothing" to hide/limit the severity of the banding , at the cost of severe image softening and detail loss....i am hoping JVC have not implemented the CMD "Fix" along these lines!

This would explain a couple of reports from current users who went from the X9500 to the X9900 and are complaining of "softer" images..
Source is ub900 and 4k the great wall. MPC is set enhance 2, smooth 0, noise reduction 0. Shots taken with galaxy s7. Image is not soft, camera just not doing justice i think. Also, increasing enhance just 2 more clicks adds a bit more perceived sharpness. Enhance comes preset at 5 and I thought it to be a bit too much edge enhancement. Might have to experiment more.

Also, the softness could just ve a wee bit of camera wiggle due to tap snapping. I'll try take some timed exposures. I was mainly trying to get my exposures dialed in to show some the image dynamics.

The 990 is definitely sharper than the 520. I'm curious to see what Javs sees when he makes the direct comparison.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Source is ub900 and 4k the great wall. MPC is set enhance 2, smooth 0, noise reduction 0. Shots taken with galaxy s7. Image is not soft, camera just not doing justice i think. Also, increasing enhance just 2 more clicks adds a bit more perceived sharpness. Enhance comes preset at 5 and I thought it to be a bit too much edge enhancement. Might have to experiment more.

Also, the softness could just ve a wee bit of camera wiggle due to tap snapping. I'll try take some timed exposures. I was mainly trying to get my exposures dialed in to show some the image dynamics.

The 990 is definitely sharper than the 520. I'm curious to see what Javs sees when he makes the direct comparison.
Again THANKS for the feedback. :)

I realise that images , especially from a phone camera will NEVER show what you actually are seeing on screen.... i suppose i will just have to be patient and wait to see for myself the end result..:(

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Hopefully Javs will have sometime to do some preliminary evaluation by the end of the week. We should have a good idea what the 9500 vs 9900 looks like.

Counting on ya Javs!

Reactions: woofer
721 - 740 of 14058 Posts