AVS Forum banner

8601 - 8620 of 14068 Posts

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,414 Posts
would i benefit enough going to a jvc rs640 if my room is not 100% blacked out like a cave or would it negate the advantages of these over a different brand like epson 5040 or brighter sony models . i use my current projector with all lights off but there is still some light reflections and tiny bit of light from not having walls/ceiling room painted dark or covered in black velvet. currently using vivitek hk2299 4k projector on 110" screen from 11feet away.
As long as you can get all the lights off in the room, you'll gain a massive benefit over the Epson. The white walls, painted ceiling etc will help ANSI contrast. But the JVC's blacks come in the on/off contrast. As long as you kill the lights completely you'll see the awesome blacks of the JVC

·
Registered
952 Posts
What's the trick to calibrating gamma on an x790? I'm targeting 2.4 but can't for the life of me get the average gamma much above 2. I've tried several of the presets and also a correction value of 2.4 in one of the custom slots. I still only get variations of too low regardless of what I do with the three sliders.

I suspect I'm overlooking something obvious...

SDR
Aperture at -10
Low lamp
Peak white about 17 fL
Greyscale looks great

Attachments

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
What's the trick to calibrating gamma on an x790? I'm targeting 2.4 but can't for the life of me get the average gamma much above 2. I've tried several of the presets and also a correction value of 2.4 in one of the custom slots. I still only get variations of too low regardless of what I do with the three sliders.

I suspect I'm overlooking something obvious...

SDR
Aperture at -10
Low lamp
Peak white about 17 fL
Greyscale looks great
You need to use JVC Autocal to do that.

You can either use a Spyder meter to correct the internal baseline gamma. Or you could create a custom gamma curve using the 12pt gamma correction option and manually do it with another meter while monitoring the measrurements in calman as you go, then export the gamma map and use the in the Import slot.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You need to use JVC Autocal to do that.

You can either use a Spyder meter to correct the internal baseline gamma. Or you could create a custom gamma curve using the 12pt gamma correction option and manually do it with another meter while monitoring the measrurements in calman as you go, then export the gamma map and use the in the Import slot.
Oh, I can't do it manually like on any other display? That's pretty crazy. I thought that I'd be able to with my i1Display Pro and Calman.

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
Oh, I can't do it manually like on any other display? That's pretty crazy. I thought that I'd be able to with my i1Display Pro and Calman.
If the preset 2.4 measures lower than that, it indicates that your projector has developed a gamma droop.

As Javs said, you can use Autocal to calibrate the “baseline” gamma, which will in turn “fix” the built-in gammas.

However, you certainly can calibrate any gamma curve “manually” using i1Display Pro and CalMAN. Note, however, the 12-point controls are adjusted using the gamma module in the autocal software (but you don’t need the Spyder).

·
Registered
952 Posts
You certainly can do it “manually” using i1Display Pro and CalMAN. Note, however, the the 12-point controls are done using the gamma module in the autocal software (but you don’t need the Spyder).
I'm mightily confused now. Is there a simple answer to this question?

Can I set gamma to 2.4 (or close) using NOTHING BUT Calman, an i1Display Pro and patterns?

I thought I'd switch gears and try to load Jav's curves. No clue how to make my laptop and the JVC talk to each other through an ethernet cable though, so I'm just going to stick with out of the box curves.

Great blacks and contrast but damn near impossible to adjust. They should use that as their slogan.

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
Can I set gamma to 2.4 (or close) using NOTHING BUT Calman, an i1Display Pro and patterns?
The answer is No. To fine-tune the gamma manually you need to adjust the 12-point controls, and on all the recent JVC projectors those controls are part of the autocal software instead of the projector user interface.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The projector won't have any issues with those things. However, HDMI is a real hassle sometimes and there's a good chance your cables or other components will have difficulty passing 18gbit HDMI. So while the projector will work, there's no guarantee everything will "just work".
I just upgraded to an optical hdmi cable, hopefully no issues.

·
Registered
952 Posts
If the preset 2.4 measures lower than that, it indicates that your projector has developed a gamma droop...
I just got it and it only has 30 hours on the bulb. Out of the box everything but the gamut is pretty bad. Even the black level was off by quite a bit.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Do you do any gaming on it? If so, how does it compare to 5040?

I do, actually quite a bit, i dont do hdr when gaming as I dont think its quite there yet, but sdr + 4k no difference in input lag when using low latency on, you will enjoy the JVC quite a lot more than the epson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
I just got it and it only has 30 hours on the bulb. Out of the box everything but the gamut is pretty bad. Even the black level was off by quite a bit.
The default colour profile is somewhat over-saturated. Apparently the custom profiles match Rec709, although I have not personally tested that.

In many cases the black level being off indicates a level mismatch between the projector and the source. It should not take more an one or two clicks for the Brightness control.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,614 (Edited)
I've been so tied up in playing around with 4k and HDR, i ended watching a lot of HD over the weekend.

1st was all 8 episodes of The First on Hulu.

Then it was last jedi and infinity war again, but playing the 1080p BDs from the OPPO 203 -> x990 -> 115 2.35 1.0 gain screen.

OPPO source direct
4k eshift on
Color profile reference
Color 6500k
Gamma C
Manual iris (-9)
Low lamp

Wow! Outstanding combination of absolute black outs and exterior daytime scenes feeling really like daytime. And plenty of room to open the iris to compensate for lamp aging.

Yeah, 4k HDR is impressive, but there are things the x990 + 820 SDR 2020 just can't match, until its married to more lumens. How many more lumens? Cant say for sure, but maybe 3000 would get er done.

Anyway, the experience confirmed, i don't want to give up this level of contrast range, as it is just too compelling and something i have always wanted to experience someday..

Really looking forward to Chad's visit and pushing this x990 right the edge of perfection. Also looking forward to test driving some custom curves.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The default colour profile is somewhat over-saturated. Apparently the custom profiles match Rec709, although I have not personally tested that.

In many cases the black level being off indicates a level mismatch between the projector and the source. It should not take more an one or two clicks for the Brightness control.
I have to set the brightness control at +13 to make bar 17 flash.

It clips white with all settings on auto but changing input level to Super White makes 234 and above flash.

I'm playing the patterns disc in an Oppo 103D with everything set to Auto.

It's pretty strange. I've never had such a hard time calibrating before.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have to set the brightness control at +13 to make bar 17 flash.

It clips white with all settings on auto but changing input level to Super White makes 234 and above flash.

I'm playing the patterns disc in an Oppo 103D with everything set to Auto.

It's pretty strange. I've never had such a hard time calibrating before.
A couple of us had trouble on 4k HDR patterns that were not playing back correctly and causing us to overcompensate with +10 to +13 in brightness, and it was a problem with the playback, not the projector. As Dominic says, it should not have been that far off, especially on the 709 HD patterns.

Are the blacks crushed on actual content after you raise brightness so much to fit the test pattern? Do you have all the image adjustment features turned off when calibrating? Try another means of playing the patterns.

I also suspect you are not correctly selecting the 2.4 gamma correction as it should not be so far off, either. Maybe show us screen shots of the settings menu while in troublesome playback.

·
Registered
952 Posts
A couple of us had trouble on 4k HDR patterns that were not playing back correctly and causing us to overcompensate with +10 to +13 in brightness, and it was a problem with the playback, not the projector. As Dominic says, it should not have been that far off, especially on the 709 HD patterns.

Are the blacks crushed on actual content after you raise brightness so much to fit the test pattern? Do you have all the image adjustment features turned off when calibrating? Try another means of playing the patterns.

I also suspect you are not correctly selecting the 2.4 gamma correction as it should not be so far off, either. Maybe show us screen shots of the settings menu while in troublesome playback.

Thanks but this is all SDR and the THX preset (I tried others, same issue). I can't even set brightness and contracts without moving at least one a lot. I had given up on gamma calibration for now because all presets drooped and I couldn't get much over 2.0 with any. However, I'm now certain it is indeed some kind of levels mismatch that just didn't happen with previous displays. I'm going to figure out a different way of serving patterns. Content does actually look ok.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I've been so tied up in playing around with 4k and HDR, i ended watching a lot of HD over the weekend.

1st was all 8 episodes of The First on Hulu.

Then it was last jedi and infinity war again, but playing the 1080p BDs from the OPPO 203 -> x990 -> 115 2.35 1.0 gain screen.

OPPO source direct
4k eshift on
Color profile reference
Color 6500k
Gamma C
Manual iris (-9)
Low lamp

Wow! Outstanding combination of absolute black outs and exterior daytime scenes feeling really like daytime. And plenty of room to open the iris to compensate for lamp aging.

Yeah, 4k HDR is impressive, but there are things the x990 + 820 SDR 2020 just can't match, until its married to more lumens. How many more lumens? Cant say for sure, but maybe 3000 would get er done.

Anyway, the experience confirmed, i don't want to give up this level of contrast range, as it is just too compelling and something i have always wanted to experience someday..

Really looking forward to Chad's visit and pushing this x990 right the edge of perfection. Also looking forward to test driving some custom curves.
Byte, could you tell me why you choose reference color? That puts the color filter in to place, right? I'm trying to understand what that accomplishes for rec709, which I thought was 100% covered without the filter. I have plenty of light to spare on SDR if there is indeed some advantage to using the filter. Just looking to hear what those benefits would be. Also, why source direct? Is Oppo scaling to 4k or outputting 1080p?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,619
Byte, could you tell me why you choose reference color? That puts the color filter in to place, right? I'm trying to understand what that accomplishes for rec709, which I thought was 100% covered without the filter. I have plenty of light to spare on SDR if there is indeed some advantage to using the filter. Just looking to hear what those benefits would be. Also, why source direct? Is Oppo scaling to 4k or outputting 1080p? Thanks!
I prefer the color tracking and saturation of reference. If you pause on a colorful scene and switch between the various color profile option, which do you prefer? I also believe the name reference means the color accuracy better tracks 709.

I have read the reference profile is very good, good enough to require calibration. Next month w h en Chad visits, I'll see if this is true.

Regarding source direct, having the 203 scale to 4k, only to have the x990 convert back to 1080p and then process and scale back to eshift 4k (not real 4k), seems like an extra step that could introduce unwanted artifacts. I also like to have the option to run 2k with hd material. Running source direct also preserves my denon 2300 ability to display various menus on screen.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I prefer the color tracking and saturation of reference. If you pause on a colorful scene and switch between the various color profile option, which do you prefer? I also believe the name reference means the color accuracy better tracks 709.

I have read the reference profile is very good, good enough to require calibration. Next month w h en Chad visits, I'll see if this is true.

Regarding source direct, having the 203 scale to 4k, only to have the x990 convert back to 1080p and then process and scale back to eshift 4k (not real 4k), seems like an extra step that could introduce unwanted artifacts. I also like to have the option to run 2k with hd material. Running source direct also preserves my denon 2300 ability to display various menus on screen.
Why would the projector convert a 4k input to 1080p?

8601 - 8620 of 14068 Posts