AVS Forum banner

8661 - 8680 of 14068 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
So what is the consensus on the quality of these projectors? I have an opportunity to get a brand new X790 for a great price, and it would be replacing my 4K (but not HDR) Sony VW600ES. I am sitting in a darkened theatre room. I have a 2.4 gain Da Lite High power screen measuring 133" diagonally, and my seating distance is around 14'. Should I jump on this deal? I have always read that the JVC projectors are the cream of the crop but I've read some negative things in this thread about these new models.

·
Premium Member
14,809 Posts
So what is the consensus on the quality of these projectors? I have an opportunity to get a brand new X790 for a great price, and it would be replacing my 4K (but not HDR) Sony VW600ES. I am sitting in a darkened theatre room. I have a 2.4 gain Da Lite High power screen measuring 133" diagonally, and my seating distance is around 14'. Should I jump on this deal? I have always read that the JVC projectors are the cream of the crop but I've read some negative things in this thread about these new models.
You'll read negative things in any thread about any unit as those with the issues often come forward seeking advice well before someone perfectly content with their unit will. The bottom line is JVC has an incredibly good product in the x40 series and for the new price of the 790/540, there literally is no other projector I would even remotely consider. It's a hands-down no-brainer right now, especially if you intend on diving into HDR and 4K.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do I really have to pay a 600% premium and get a fiber optic cable at 20-30 feet?

Anyone able to explain why I could not resynch even with another cable? Is it a projector issue or player issue?
My Monoprice 25 ft "Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable" would not pass a 18 Gbps signal from my Oppo 203 to RS540. Had RUIPRO custom make a 22 ft optic (7 meter) for me - problem solved. Expensive, yes - but compared to your overall investment, probably not...

·
Registered
124 Posts
You'll read negative things in any thread about any unit as those with the issues often come forward seeking advice well before someone perfectly content with their unit will. The bottom line is JVC has an incredibly good product in the x40 series and for the new price of the 790/540, there literally is no other projector I would even remotely consider. It's a hands-down no-brainer right now, especially if you intend on diving into HDR and 4K.

One day in with ONLY the calibration recommendations from the first page I have short demo'd 35 HDR UHD Full rips, played some xbox one x, and watched Planet Earth 2 on physical media via my xbox one x...It's great. i Have no noticeable complaints aside from PUBG looking even more like crap with a better projector.

High lamp is loud but consistent. I do not hear any e-shift buzz.

Black levels are good enough on my 16:9 screen that I do not feel the need to start the masking project I was going to do. Also, when there is a full fade to black it looks like my projector shut off....it is incredible.

Side-note...although a noticeably better PQ and contrast level...I am still very impressed with my old SONY 45ES comparatively for the price now that I have seen the 790.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My Monoprice 25 ft "Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable" would not pass a 18 Gbps signal from my Oppo 203 to RS540. Had RUIPRO custom make a 22 ft optic (7 meter) for me - problem solved. Expensive, yes - but compared to your overall investment, probably not...
Thank you for that specific example. That was one of the cables in my basket... Was curious about the certified premium one in 20foot, or another HOSS in 20 foot. Seems like these cables are as varied in performance from sample to sample as our projectors. There were recommendations here for the 50 foot HOSS, but even the 30 would not work.

·
Premium Member
4,314 Posts

I am curious if you are using a voltage inserter with that Ruipro cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am curious if you are using a voltage inserter with that Ruipro cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It works fine with the Oppo 203 without a voltage inserter. Purchased it at the "custom price" on Amazon then sent them an email with the length I wanted - they responded immediately. Had the cable in 5 days.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
But MADVR via DSPLAYER through KODI is good, right?
Yes, the absolute best upscaler there ever was

It uses neural networks!

Think of DSPlayer as the shell, MadVR is doing all the work. There are a number of ways to use MadVR, for me DSPlayer is one of the best because of the benefits and experience of Kodi.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Windows Desktop at 4k/ Still not native on either machine but no doubt the 9900 is getting closer to where it should be.

X9500

X9900

Some quick questions...Even though I can set my resolution to 3840 x 2160 my nvidia control panel still says it is 1920 x 1080 native...unlike your picture here...but when I hit info on the projector it says (3840 x 2160)60.

I have been using "default settings" for color and it looks like it is playing RGB 8 Bit. I tried 4:2:2 at 10 and 12bit but on my desktop it is making all reds look magenta...everything looks normal under RGB 8 bit "default"

If someone could point me in the right direction for resolution settings in their HTPC I would be VERY thankful. I have a 1050ti and I use KODI as my player.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Some quick questions...Even though I can set my resolution to 3840 x 2160 my nvidia control panel still says it is 1920 x 1080 native...unlike your picture here...but when I hit info on the projector it says (3840 x 2160)60.

I have been using "default settings" for color and it looks like it is playing RGB 8 Bit. I tried 4:2:2 at 10 and 12bit but on my desktop it is making all reds look magenta...everything looks normal under RGB 8 bit "default"

If someone could point me in the right direction for resolution settings in their HTPC I would be VERY thankful. I have a 1050ti and I use KODI as my player.

Thanks in advance
2160p at 60hz does not work at anything over 8 bit as it's the max throughout of HDMI 2.0

I recommend you use 23hz setting and set it to 12bit.

Ignore the native part, I have an avr in the chain and it may have been defaulting to that edid.

·
Registered
124 Posts
2160p at 60hz does not work at anything over 8 bit as it's the max throughout of HDMI 2.0

I recommend you use 23hz setting and set it to 12bit.

Ignore the native part, I have an avr in the chain and it may have been defaulting to that edid.
Awesome. I will try it out, thanks!

·
Registered
952 Posts
I loaded Javs' 85 nits curves tonight. I chose those because I really want to watch HDR on low lamp.

Writing the curves went fine but nothing seems to happen when I attempt to set the black level using the Sony pattern. I have to type the ga command twice before bbo becomes available, but regardless of which value I enter, nothing happens when I write to the projector. I cannot make the bar just above black visible.

Is this flow correct?
1. Load the curve using command lf
2. Use command ga
3. Use command ga again...
4. Use command bbo
5. Enter value
6. Use command Pw
7. Verify change on projector screen

·
Registered
146 Posts
Question about the 540. Is the slow HDMI switching only a factor when switching sources? I could live with that, but on another thread it was mentioned that even when rewinding on Netflix, there is an often interminable delay while the projector syncs again, which sounds really annoying.
Is that really the case?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Since the 540 and the 640 use the same parts (although the 640's are "hand selected"), how is it that the 640 has a higher rated light output than the 540? Is there consensus on whether the published difference of 100 lumens between the two devices is for real?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8,679 (Edited)
Since the 540 and the 640 use the same parts (although the 640's are "hand selected"), how is it that the 640 has a higher rated light output than the 540? Is there consensus on whether the published difference of 100 lumens between the two devices is for real?
I doubt 100 lumens is observable. Would a 100 lumen drop be equivalent to a single manual shutter stop adjustment. Even if the answer is yes, a single shutter stop is observable, but it is very small.

My interest in the x990 was the increased on off contrast performance, which again in similar conditions, would it be like one shutter stop darker.

The price difference between the 540/790 and the 640/990 was not big as the newly discounted 540/790.

If i were choosing between the two models today, the deal on the 540/790 would a real tough offer to turn down.

Technically, I've not heard an explanation for the 100 extra lumens. The consensus was a slightly more efficient optical block of the 640/990.

Then given the real world "lottery" variations in 640 & x990 i have observed, there has to be occasion when the cheaper model outperformed the more expensive.

The more i think about it, I'd vote for the extra savings of the 540/790, even if the was the very slight difference in actual performance. The slight difference still provides an incredible experience. An experience which out performs anything at the price.

The extra savings and willingness to give 4k a few more cycles to mature (increased contrast performance, increased lumens, more refined tone mapping ) also supports choosing the discounted 540/790.

Good luck with you choice.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
There should be a very noticeable improvement in sharpness and even ANSI contrast between the X990 and the X790. Going from my X750 series to an X990 series, I found the improvement in sharpness and ANSI contrast in my X990 to be huge! The convergence on my X990 unit was far better too. If I had to choose between the X990/RS640 and the X790/RS540, I would choose the X990 hands down every time.

EDIT: Good question on the brightness. I never measured the brightness but JVC is pretty accurate with its numbers, so I believe the difference is real. It might have to do with the way the iris is set, but I'm not sure.

8661 - 8680 of 14068 Posts