AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 14058 Posts

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Can we have mods delete the useless off topic comments spanning the last few pages and keep it to on topic jvc info? Info I am posting in the past couple of days is getting buried by rubbish posts.

Thanks.

@rboster

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Point taken, I did not know that owner threads were moderated like this.

I can only applaud this, JVC off-topic discussion also regularly invade the Sony owner threads as well, annoying me greatly.
@Javs

Do you feel your X9900 is still a "good unit". albeit not as perfect as your last? You mention it's still leagues better than the X7500 you had before and I can remember clearly how exctatic you were about that unit before the X9500 arrived. Do you feel the X9500 unicorn sample simply spoiled you?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Can we have mods delete the useless off topic comments spanning the last few pages and keep it to on topic jvc info? Info I am posting in the past couple of days is getting buried by rubbish posts.

Thanks.

@rboster
Javs - Can you speak to the input lag and if there are any differences or improvements?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,046
I think I found the cause of the Low Latency on/off green shadow line to the right of text.

It seems to be CMD causing the line, and turning on Low Latency turns OFF CMD. I have tried it with 4K, 1080p and 1080i sources and I see the same thing.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Javs - Can you speak to the input lag and if there are any differences or improvements?

Its the same 35ms or so very responsive.

Leaving input lag turned on also reduces the sync time to 11 seconds for a 4k/24p source.

1080p probably syncs even quicker.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I think I found the cause of the Low Latency on/off green shadow line to the right of text.

It seems to be CMD causing the line, and turning on Low Latency turns OFF CMD. I have tried it with 4K, 1080p and 1080i sources and I see the same thing.

My line went away but I never had cmd on... unless still a bug lol

No line with low latency on/off now for me.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Point taken, I did not know that owner threads were moderated like this.

I can only applaud this, JVC off-topic discussion also regularly invade the Sony owner threads as well, annoying me greatly.

@Javs

Do you feel your X9900 is still a "good unit". albeit not as perfect as your last? You mention it's still leagues better than the X7500 you had before and I can remember clearly how exctatic you were about that unit before the X9500 arrived. Do you feel the X9500 unicorn sample simply spoiled you?

If the lens was as sharp and panel alignment good i would keep it. Oh and eshift noise the same. I would then just ask for a new lamp and it would be a good unit, but no too many things stacked against with this sample.

Honestly my 9500 is not a unicorn, it just has an excellent lens, this 9900 has cleaner panel alignment if not for the right hand side where it goes bad, but the left 2/3rds is a crisper pure white alignment than my 9500.

I am definitely not keeping the 9900 sample I have here, no way.

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
5,779 Posts
If the lens was as sharp and panel alignment good i would keep it. Oh and eshift noise the same. I would then just ask for a new lamp and it would be a good unit, but no too many things stacked against with this sample.

Honestly my 9500 is not a unicorn, it just has an excellent lens, this 9900 has cleaner panel alignment if not for the right hand side where it goes bad, but the left 2/3rds is a crisper pure white alignment than my 9500.

I am definitely not keeping the 9900 sample I have here, no way.
Knock on wood, I have been lucky with my JVC projectors and I have gone through more than most.

It's been a very consistent experience for me overall.

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
5,779 Posts
I will eventually get my butt in gear and test drive Manni and Javs curves... but I'm becoming a lazy old fart. :)
OMG... So true... I feel the same.

Plus with the fact I sell and buy every year I lose motivation to tweak much. HAHA

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,056 (Edited)
TEST for FIOS and ReSync issues copied here from a response to an avs member in another thread.

I have the Motorola QIP7100 which outputs 1080i60.

I am not having any issues with re-sync when changing channels. This includes changing between 1080/720 HD channels like CNN and SD channels like C-Span.

The keys it to make sure SD Override is turned OFF, otherwise, it will prevent the fios box from upscaling to 1080i60. With SD Overside enabled, switching between HD and SD channels will trigger a re-sync because the fios box switches from outputting 1080i60 to 480p or 480i depending on how you have SD Override set.

I have yet to see any commercial cause a re-sync with SD Override turned off. However, with SD Override enabled, an SD commercial will cause the fios box to switch into 480p/480i.

I also tried On-Demand and had no issues navigating the menus and going into any channel or movie.

So, unless your fios box is very different, I don't think you will an issue switching viewing channels or navigating among the other features of the box. I don't have DVR so I could not test that.

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
5,779 Posts
@Bytehoven

As for your +15 brightness.

Use an all black pattern, go up to the screen with brightness at 0 and only raise the brightness control to just before you start to see a dither artifact.

That will likely be at 0 or 1.

Your +15 is likely raising the overall black floor.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I believe Javs had meter facing projector at the screen, not shooting off the screen. If he is shooting off the screen, then something indeed is wrong with the measurements, because he says he has a 1.3 gain screen and that would cut down the lumens calculations a lot.
I dont know how you can measure NITs with a meter facing the projector. You usually measure Lux when facing the projector (with a diffuser). Then do a calculation to get NITs. But I thought he measured NITs directly (off the screen), and was asking for the implied lumens from the projector

I guess @Javs will have to elaborate on the measurements.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,059
@Bytehoven

As for your +15 brightness.

Use an all black pattern, go up to the screen with brightness at 0 and only raise the brightness control to just before you start to see a dither artifact.

That will likely be at 0 or 1.

Your +15 is likely raising the overall b

lack floor.
If you go back and read all of my post I mention that I used a hdr10 black crush pattern to calibrate (77) to just barely start to flash. That h happened at brightness +15 on my x990 AND my black floor does not go up until I go way past +15. My calibration for 17 with sdr does have brightness at iir near 0.

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
5,779 Posts
If you go back and read all of my post I mention that I used a hdr10 black crush pattern to calibrate (77) to just barely start to flash. That h happened at brightness +15 on my x990 AND my black floor does not go up until I go way past +15. My calibration for 17 with sdr does have brightness at iir near 0.
Double check with the second black level HDR10 pattern.

1041 - 1060 of 14058 Posts