AVS Forum banner

11941 - 11960 of 14059 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Kind of a general question at this point, but is their any difference in image position/shift range when my RS 640 is shelf mounted (sitting on its four adjustable feet) 5 inches above top of screen as opposed to having it in the same location above the screen, but sitting inverted as it would be with a ceiling mount? I am trying to use lens shift to bring a 2.40:1 image down so that the bottom of the image is even with the bottom of the screen but I do not have enough shift range to accomplish this. I am hoping to use lens memory to have the image at bottom of screen for 2.40:1 images and another memory for a 16x9 image. Consulting the JVC manual did not clarify this for me.

When I did my initial setup with 16x9 image, it seemed that I had to use a lot more lens shift than I expected to get the bottom of the image to line up with bottom of screen. I have done setups with JVC projectors on a coffee table with lens close to bottom of screen and it seems that I am close to the center of the shift range to fit the image to a screen, and same applies when I have used a ceiling mount with the projector inverted and lens center close to the top of the screen.

I cannot lower the shelf position since the projector is in the master BR on the other side of the theaters back wall projecting through a framed opening in the wall. It is mounted as low as possible to clear the top of the BR entry door which is 8 feet tall. Projector is also centered on the screen in it current location. The screen is an SI Solo Pro, mounted to the front wall on wood corbels that allow the screen to extend out enough to clear my 65" Samsung curved TV (I know, curved??? This is a 4K KS9800 which was only available as a curved screen when I bought it) mounted to front wall with a full motion wall mount which closes to about 5 inches away from wall. The Solo Pro clears the retracted TV by about an inch when it is dropped down, with bottom of screen stopping about 2 inches below bottom edge of TV. Screen is 16x9 110" dia, 96"w x 54" high. Projector lens is 17ft 3" to screen surface.

I am assuming that if I invert the projector on the shelf it might fix the problem, but this would not be a suitable option due to the projector being unstable and non adjustable in this configuration. If inverting the projector is a fix, I can use a ceiling mount and nix the shelf mount idea.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
Kind of a general question at this point, but is their any difference in image position/shift range when my RS 640 is shelf mounted (sitting on its four adjustable feet) 5 inches above top of screen as opposed to having it in the same location above the screen, but sitting inverted as it would be with a ceiling mount?
Other than direction, there is no difference at all in the amount of lens shift between the two options (when measured from the center of the lens).

·
Registered
28,752 Posts
Kind of a general question at this point, but is their any difference in image position/shift range when my RS 640 is shelf mounted (sitting on its four adjustable feet) 5 inches above top of screen as opposed to having it in the same location above the screen, but sitting inverted as it would be with a ceiling mount? I am trying to use lens shift to bring a 2.40:1 image down so that the bottom of the image is even with the bottom of the screen but I do not have enough shift range to accomplish this. I am hoping to use lens memory to have the image at bottom of screen for 2.40:1 images and another memory for a 16x9 image. Consulting the JVC manual did not clarify this for me.

When I did my initial setup with 16x9 image, it seemed that I had to use a lot more lens shift than I expected to get the bottom of the image to line up with bottom of screen. I have done setups with JVC projectors on a coffee table with lens close to bottom of screen and it seems that I am close to the center of the shift range to fit the image to a screen, and same applies when I have used a ceiling mount with the projector inverted and lens center close to the top of the screen.

I cannot lower the shelf position since the projector is in the master BR on the other side of the theaters back wall projecting through a framed opening in the wall. It is mounted as low as possible to clear the top of the BR entry door which is 8 feet tall. Projector is also centered on the screen in it current location. The screen is an SI Solo Pro, mounted to the front wall on wood corbels that allow the screen to extend out enough to clear my 65" Samsung curved TV (I know, curved??? This is a 4K KS9800 which was only available as a curved screen when I bought it) mounted to front wall with a full motion wall mount which closes to about 5 inches away from wall. The Solo Pro clears the retracted TV by about an inch when it is dropped down, with bottom of screen stopping about 2 inches below bottom edge of TV. Screen is 16x9 110" dia, 96"w x 54" high. Projector lens is 17ft 3" to screen surface.

I am assuming that if I invert the projector on the shelf it might fix the problem, but this would not be a suitable option due to the projector being unstable and non adjustable in this configuration. If inverting the projector is a fix, I can use a ceiling mount and nix the shelf mount idea.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this.
You did not give the one measurement needed to confirm everything, but based on what you have given, I can determine inverting on the shelf will work. If the shelf is 5" above top of the screen and not top of the image, then you have exceeded the amount of lens shift available. I am assuming the screen frame is 2" or more? The JVC in your case has 16.2" of vertical lens shift to work with. The measurement that is critical to determine how high above the image the projector can be mounted is the vertical distance from the top of the image to the center of the lens. A measurement from top of the screen frame tells us nothing, unless we know how wide your frame is.

So in your case your projector lens center is frame height + 5" + 4.07" above the top of the image. So you have used 9.07 + frame height of the 16.2" available. For a 2.40 movie the black bars are 7" in height. So when lowering the 2.40 image to the bottom of your screen you are 9.07" + 7" + frame height = 16.07" plus frame height. You only had 16.2" available. So you have exceeded the available amount of lens shift by about the height of your frame. If you inverted the projector on the shelf, you would gain back the shelf thickness plus 4.07". That would be enough to get the 2.40 image to the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You did not give the one measurement needed to confirm everything, but based on what you have given, I can determine inverting on the shelf will work. If the shelf is 5" above top of the screen and not top of the image, then you have exceeded the amount of lens shift available. I am assuming the screen frame is 2" or more? The JVC in your case has 16.2" of vertical lens shift to work with. The measurement that is critical to determine how high above the image the projector can be mounted is the vertical distance from the top of the image to the center of the lens. A measurement from top of the screen frame tells us nothing, unless we know how wide your frame is.

So in your case your projector lens center is frame height + 5" + 4.07" above the top of the image. So you have used 9.07 + frame height of the 16.2" available. For a 2.40 movie the black bars are 7" in height. So when lowering the 2.40 image to the bottom of your screen you are 9.07" + 7" + frame height = 16.07" plus frame height. You only had 16.2" available. So you have exceeded the available amount of lens shift by about the height of your frame. If you inverted the projector on the shelf, you would gain back the shelf thickness plus 4.07". That would be enough to get the 2.40 image to the bottom of the screen.
Mike,

Thanks for your input! I need to work with the info you have supplied and do some precise measurements to get an actual measurement for lens center to top of image. I have the top of the screen image area within a 1/2 inch of the bottom of the Solo Pro case at this point, but was taking rough measurements. Now need to get the actual numbers, then using your data I should be able to confirm expected results if I invert the projector. I will reply back here with my results.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I don't understand how inverting on the shelf changes anything more than the height of the feet, unless you are thinking he means use a ceiling mount underneath the shelf. I assumed he meant flopping it upside down on the shelf, resting on a something soft, presumably. All this would accomplish is make it impossible to level.

·
Registered
28,752 Posts
I don't understand how inverting on the shelf changes anything more than the height of the feet, unless you are thinking he means use a ceiling mount underneath the shelf. I assumed he meant flopping it upside down on the shelf, resting on a something soft, presumably. All this would accomplish is make it impossible to level.
He was talking about the projector being inverted and mounted to the underside of the shelf. He would pick up 4.07" plus shelf thickness plus around 3", so if he was only off 2", then doing this would easily work. But he would not have any adjustability. A better way to do this would be to just ceiling mount the projector. A projector ceiling mounted, using a good mount like the Chief RPMA is much easier to set up than shelf mounting.

·
aka jfinnie
4,219 Posts
He was talking about the projector being inverted and mounted to the underside of the shelf. He would pick up 4.07" plus shelf thickness plus around 3", so if he was only off 2", then doing this would easily work. But he would not have any adjustability. A better way to do this would be to just ceiling mount the projector. A projector ceiling mounted, using a good mount like the Chief RPMA is much easier to set up than shelf mounting.
I don't think so. He said he has to shoot the projector through an existing framed hole, so regardless of mounting mechanism the holes stays in the same place. The dimensions of the framed hole, and the position of the shelf in relation to the hole are missing in the discussion.

There may be a difference in the different orientations. Although the specified lens shift is a fixed % either way around the centreline, it could be that there is a bit more shift available at one end than the other due to tolerance in the mech, so mounting it upside down might be helpful.

·
Registered
28,752 Posts
I don't think so. He said he has to shoot the projector through an existing framed hole, so regardless of mounting mechanism the holes stays in the same place. The dimensions of the framed hole, and the position of the shelf in relation to the hole are missing in the discussion.

There may be a difference in the different orientations. Although the specified lens shift is a fixed % either way around the centreline, it could be that there is a bit more shift available at one end than the other due to tolerance in the mech, so mounting it upside down might be helpful.
If he is just talking about turning the projector upside down and placing it on the shelf, that does not help him.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you buy a used projector and you do not have the original receipt from the original buyer you can not prove date of purchase and there would be zero warranty odds are.......Maybe JVC would go off the build date on the unit if you where lucky, but they could stand firm and say we need the original receipt which proves date unit was put in service.
Have I missed an obvious link to the current firmware for an X990? I do not see it on the JVC site either. Thanks
I know is a bit of bad form to quote yourself. I bought a used X990 from a ~local member when he switched to a Sony Laser. As I wait for him to get me the JVC receipt so I can contact JVC for this issue:

In its failure mode, this happens with NO INPUT. It does not seem to be projector on time related. I had some friends over a couple of weeks ago and the projector was on for 3+ hours without issue. The next night I was watching for an hour and the

If black is the RG&B all shut off, it seems as if the RED is not turning off when it should be. The red on the screen is the RED from the color bars (255,0,0) in 8 bit computer lingo.

The good news is it is less intermittent and more persistent.

I wanted to try reloading the firmware but cannot find it. Can anyone help with the firmware?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
28,752 Posts
I know is a bit of bad form to quote yourself. I bought a used X990 from a ~local member when he switched to a Sony Laser. As I wait for him to get me the JVC receipt so I can contact JVC for this issue:

In its failure mode, this happens with NO INPUT. It does not seem to be projector on time related. I had some friends over a couple of weeks ago and the projector was on for 3+ hours without issue. The next night I was watching for an hour and the

If black is the RG&B all shut off, it seems as if the RED is not turning off when it should be. The red on the screen is the RED from the color bars (255,0,0) in 8 bit computer lingo.

The good news is it is less intermittent and more persistent.

I wanted to try reloading the firmware but cannot find it. Can anyone help with the firmware?

Thanks
There were no firmware updates for the X990/RS640. You will probably need to send the projector in for repair.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Since my PJ moved a bit, I’ve been tinkering with my focus. I have it dialed in pretty good, but feel it could be just a bit better. I would like to use the menu to adjust, but even with patterns off, it goes black once focus is selected. I could have sworn I’ve read here someone doing this. Anyone know how or a good pattern to use?

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
One possibility is that the calibration table got corrupted somehow. To check that, wait until you get the red screen, then switch the lamp mode (high/low) and/or the CMD setting to see if that makes any difference, as they use different calibration tables.

·
Registered
506 Posts
One possibility is that the calibration table got corrupted somehow. To check that, wait until you get the red screen, then switch the lamp mode (high/low) and/or the CMD setting to see if that makes any difference, as they use different calibration tables.
Thanks for the reply.

I definitely switched lamp modes. I switched between different color profiles (Cinema, Natural, etc.) None of those remedied the issue. Again, I feel better that it is less intermittent. I am old enough to remember the TV repairman coming to the house and the TV not "misbehaving" once he got there. :>)

I wish I would have been smart enough to get an original receipt from the seller.

Again, I appreciate the response.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I own a 790 and I don't have calibration equipment but intend to at some point. Until then I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. The picture on all settings (HDR, Cinema, etc.) is dull in comparison to my other 4K TVs. It's a big difference. I'm sure it's because I'm using the factory settings. Are there any calibration settings that would greatly improve the picture, make the colors more dynamic? I tried searching this thread but I am only coming up with options for modifying the curve. Would really appreciate any advice. Thx!

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
I own a 790 and I don't have calibration equipment but intend to at some point. Until then I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. The picture on all settings (HDR, Cinema, etc.) is dull in comparison to my other 4K TVs. It's a big difference. I'm sure it's because I'm using the factory settings. Are there any calibration settings that would greatly improve the picture, make the colors more dynamic? I tried searching this thread but I am only coming up with options for modifying the curve. Would really appreciate any advice. Thx!
There are some suggested settings in the first post.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Provide a little more information on your install. Size, screen type (gain), and room conditions (white with windows, velvet cave?)

I found SDR to be very watchable out of the box. Perhaps you are getting washed out with ambient light?

HDR out of the box was unwatchable. The gamma curve adjustments fixed everything for me, including colors. Surely not a perfect calibration, but night and day difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ve been reading here and bluray.com and still a bit confused.

I’ve just set up my jvc x7900 (RS540) which has been boxed for the last 6 months while built my cinema, now when it gets over 100 hrs I’ll get it professionally calibrated. In the meantime, I’ve set the projector to:

Picture Mode = HDR
Color Profile = BT2020
Color Temp = HDR (6500k)
Gamma = HDR (ST.2084)

My questions:
1. Do I still set the Panasonic 820 Optimizer to SDR2020 then move the slider between -4 to -6.
2. Will this be the same after I get it professionally calibrated at the end of the year?
3. Or is the above only applicable if using javs and others custom curves
4. any other tips?

Still have a lot of Reading to catch up on, but pointing me in the right direction would be a help.

Running a 115” 16:9. 1.1 gain screen and room is a dedicated theatre with black ceiling/front wall and dark walls all round. With light off, its pitch black.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
I’ve been reading here and bluray.com and still a bit confused.

I’ve just set up my jvc x7900 (RS540) which has been boxed for the last 6 months while built my cinema, now when it gets over 100 hrs I’ll get it professionally calibrated. In the meantime, I’ve set the projector to:

Picture Mode = HDR
Color Profile = BT2020
Color Temp = HDR (6500k)
Gamma = HDR (ST.2084)

My questions:
1. Do I still set the Panasonic 820 Optimizer to SDR2020 then move the slider between -4 to -6.
The projector settings listed above are for HDR, so you should set the UB820 to output HDR, not SDR2020.
Alternatively, set the UB820 to output SDR2020, but change the projector gamma to SDR (Gamma 2.4).

·
Registered
24 Posts
The projector settings listed above are for HDR, so you should set the UB820 to output HDR, not SDR2020.
Alternatively, set the UB820 to output SDR2020, but change the projector gamma to SDR (Gamma 2.4).

Thanks for that, will give that a try in the next day or so and see what the results are like.

With the current output I have, 'should' look better than changing it to 2.4 Gamma and SDR2020?

11941 - 11960 of 14059 Posts