AVS Forum banner

14061 - 14080 of 14176 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you have a Spyder 5 you can just use gamma Autocal to correct the gamma droop.

For manual calibration, Correction Value simply copies the selected gamma to the custom slot. If the gamma is too low overall when using Normal (2.2) you can select a higher value such as 2.4, and use the Picture Tone etc to fine-tune it, as described in the owner”s manual:
View attachment 3025586
If the three ranges are not sufficient, you can use the 12 point gamma adjustment option in the JVC autocal software.
I only have X-Rite i1 Display Pro and I will use Calman 5 or HCFR so I can't use the Autocal.

·
Registered
29,394 Posts
I only have X-Rite i1 Display Pro and I will use Calman 5 or HCFR so I can't use the Autocal.
If you have gamma droop, the only way to correct it is with autocal. If gamma is just off, like low across the whole range, You can just raise it.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Question - If I only watch 4K using madVR DTM HDR to SDR, do I only need to calibrate SDR BT709? Or should it be SDR BT2020 / DCI-P3?

Also, is there a step-by-step guide somewhere to use JVC's Autocal for the X790? I now have the Spyder5 and am close to 100 hours on the lamp. Gamma looks like it needs tweaking.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
There is a patch that allows the i1 Display Pro to be used for Autocal. I can't provide the link as the author has withdrawn it due to potential copyright concerns, but you can still google it.
As mentioned in my previous post, you can also use manual calibration, although that only works on the three custom gamma curves.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You can still use the gamma editor in autocal with any meter such as the x-rite since you would be generating patterns and reading them with HCFR during the gamma adjustment that you would be making in the autocal app.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
You can still use the gamma editor in autocal with any meter such as the x-rite since you would be generating patterns and reading them with HCFR during the gamma adjustment that you would be making in the autocal app.
Manual calibration only works for the three custom gamma curves, so that may not cover all the cases that one needs (high/low lamp, SDR/HDR, CMD on/off).

·
Registered
559 Posts
Question - If I only watch 4K using madVR DTM HDR to SDR, do I only need to calibrate SDR BT709? Or should it be SDR BT2020 / DCI-P3?

Also, is there a step-by-step guide somewhere to use JVC's Autocal for the X790? I now have the Spyder5 and am close to 100 hours on the lamp. Gamma looks like it needs tweaking.
I only use madVR with SDR2020 output, so I only calibrated to BT2020 during gamma autocal. RS540 is set to BT2020 also. I didn't run color autocal.
https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/file/JVC_PCS_manual10_en_v1_00.pdf

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hy :)

I calibrated a JVC X7900 to Rec709 SDR gamma 2.2 with Calman and the built-in pattern generator through my laptop's HDMI output. It gives a fine result. But if we connect a 4K bd player or other media players to the projector the greyscale and the gamma is fine but there is too much red in colors. Does someone have an idea what is the problem? I think some of the devices (av receiver or bd player maybe both) have wrong settings.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Hy :)

I calibrated a JVC X7900 to Rec709 SDR gamma 2.2 with Calman and the built-in pattern generator through my laptop's HDMI output. It gives a fine result. But if we connect a 4K bd player or other media players to the projector the greyscale and the gamma is fine but there is too much red in colors. Does someone have an idea what is the problem? I think some of the devices (av receiver or bd player maybe both) have wrong settings.
If you're playing a UHD disc, the projector should be in the HDR picture mode with the BT.2020 profile or the HDR profile.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Question - If I set the gamma to "Standard" will only the standard setting be updated, or does the change get applied to all the other gamma options? I've been using "B" as I've been preferring the extra pop it gives the picture.
Presumably you meant "Normal" gamma, as there is no "Standard" gamma.
If you calibrate Normal then the other gamma curves will also be calibrated, as long as the other settings (lamp power, colour profile, CMD) are the same.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Presumably you meant "Normal" gamma, as there is no "Standard" gamma.
If you calibrate Normal then the other gamma curves will also be calibrated, as long as other other settings (lamp power, colour profile, CMD) are the same.
Sorry, yes "Normal". Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Here is my report with before and after calibration:

As I remember I increased luminance and decrease saturation and hue.
Just like greyscale, you cannot judge colour calibration based on the single 100% saturation point. As a matter of fact, making adjustments solely based on the 100% saturation point can often make the other saturation points worse. You need to look at the saturation sweep to check the other points like 75%.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Question - If I set the gamma to "Standard" will only the standard setting be updated, or does the change get applied to all the other gamma options? I've been using "B" as I've been preferring the extra pop it gives the picture.
Hey MidnightWatcher... I’ve been off the grid for almost 5 days now. I was hit by derecho 100+ mile per hour winds on Aug 10th. Our city was destroyed electrically. 250,000 w/o power. Trees ripped down, utility hook-ups ripped off of many houses and roofs punchered by failing trees. Some lost a lot more than I did. Hurricane force winds in Iowa? Now I know what it feels like to live in hurricane prone areas. Looks like Dominic took care of your question on gamma calibration. Thanks, Dom.

I bought a power generator at Lowes to limp along. Posting this message only because of generator. My internet connection was somehow not broken even though cable was lying in backyard ripped off of house. I was in my basement for 45 minutes of solid 100+ mph sideways winds, OMG. Hope to get back on the grid by next week and never see that hell of a storm again. 2020 can’t get much worse (knock on wood)! I’m using meditation to calm my nerves (lol).

14061 - 14080 of 14176 Posts