AVS Forum banner

14181 - 14200 of 14313 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Any advice on manual DI settings?
You set it for the desired light output. Mine is 10’ from a 100” screen and -12 works for me with a new lamp (low power mode). As the bulb dims I slowly move it up. Currently at 600 hours and -10. I target 14-16 fL.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The manual aperture depends on the luminance on screen you want/need to match. Once you have set it then you can choose whether enable the DI through the two options Auto 1 or 2. Or you can just leave it manual but then you will not have a dynamic iris function.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Fyi, the latest 456.38 Nvidia drivers have much better frame timings with 12-bit playback. Instead of a frame dropped or repeated every 4 minutes it should now be more like every 1 hour or better.

I also now have "report BT.2020 to display (Nvidia only)" checked and no magenta bug. Colorimetry shows BT.2020 on the X790 Information screen.
No magenta bug, really? Even with 60hz modes?

If so, great news.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The manual aperture depends on the luminance on screen you want/need to match. Once you have set it then you can choose whether enable the DI through the two options Auto 1 or 2. Or you can just leave it manual but then you will not have a dynamic iris function.
You set it for the desired light output. Mine is 10’ from a 100” screen and -12 works for me with a new lamp (low power mode). As the bulb dims I slowly move it up. Currently at 600 hours and -10. I target 14-16 fL.
Ok, thanks. I'll experiment with different settings as well as turning the DI off. Some have noted that they only really see a difference with the DI engaged for fade to black. I'm curious about this, so will check it out.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
80 Posts
Finally I got my first Projector - x790RB. Now time to ceiling mount it to my basement joists. Is this the right mount with right adapter for this projector?

·
Registered
328 Posts
So I had a house fire this weekend, thankfully everyone is ok. The cause was due to a faulty power strip on my patio. The theater room I spent hundreds of hours building is flooded and my poor X790 with 450 hours is toast . Here's a couple shots of the kitchen. We lost half of the roof and all the ceilings have collapsed. The floor is covered in wet blown in insulation. Here's to hoping insurance can get me another X790, it's the only item in the house j even care about.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,188
So I had a house fire this weekend, thankfully everyone is ok. The cause was due to a faulty power strip on my patio. The theater room I spent hundreds of hours building is flooded and my poor X790 with 450 hours is toast . Here's a couple shots of the kitchen. We lost half of the roof and all the ceilings have collapsed. The floor is covered in wet blown in insulation. Here's to hoping insurance can get me another X790, it's the only item in the house j even care about.

Sorry to hear this really sad news. We'll all be thinking of you. 👍👍👍

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,190

·
Registered
29,898 Posts

Glad no one was hurt. That is the important thing. Hope everything goes well with the insurance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the wide color gamut issues present in these JVC projectors?

Supposedly, the projectors are pre-calibrated from factory to a larger gamut than they can reproduce, causing/meaning some input colors are all mapped to the same output color, basically an extension of Rec.709.

With Rec.709 there should be no issues.

Has any user measured these errors and posted examples of them here?

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the wide color gamut issues present in these JVC projectors?

Supposedly, the projectors are pre-calibrated from factory to a larger gamut than they can reproduce, causing/meaning some input colors are all mapped to the same output color, basically an extension of Rec.709.

With Rec.709 there should be no issues.
If you’re referring to the BT.2020 colour profile, then yes, it’s significantly wider than the native gamut, which is comparable to DCI-P3. However, unless the source material contains out-of-gamut colours, it should not cause any issues (except for some 3D-LUT creation).

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you’re referring to the BT.2020 colour profile, then yes, it’s significantly wider than the native gamut, which is comparable to DCI-P3. However, unless the source material contains out-of-gamut colours that should not cause any issues (except for some 3D-LUT creation).
No, of course no projector can reach BT/REC.2020.

I'm talking about it not being able to reproduce DCI-P3 faithfully.

You didn't know?

·
Registered
9,546 Posts

You didn't know?
Some can and some fall short, especially in green.

·
Registered
29,898 Posts

You didn't know?
I don't think you and Dominic are talking about the same thing. When playing SDR content, the projector should be set up to use Rec709 color space. When playing HDR content you can elect to use the BT2020 filter or not. But there are no color issues. What Dom is talking about is some of the JVC's that have the BT2020 filter can do 100% of DCI color space in the BT2020 container and some fall a tiny bit short. But no mapping problems of colors.

Added
Please expand on what you are talking about?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think you and Dominic are talking about the same thing. When playing SDR content, the projector should be set up to use Rec709 color space. When playing HDR content you can elect to use the BT2020 filter or not. But there are no color issues. What Dom is talking about is some of the JVC's that have the BT2020 filter can do 100% of DCI color space in the BT2020 container and some fall a tiny bit short. But no mapping problems of colors.
You arguing with this man, mate?

Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Post #16

Thread

The solution is to use the Sub-Space function in ColourSpace, which is a function that creates a target space out of the gamut that the projector actually can produce, rather than trying to calibrate to a larger gamut.

I'm looking for information here on these forums if somebody have had experience with this before.
I don't have the personal experience to say what's right and wrong here, but experts seem to point out an obvious error that I think probably 98% of all JVC users don't address.

Have you ever tried to measure outside of Rec709 to see how accurate they are?

·
Registered
29,898 Posts
You arguing with this man, mate?

Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Post #16

Thread

The solution is to use the Sub-Space function in ColourSpace, which is a function that creates a target space out of the gamut that the projector actually can produce, rather than trying to calibrate to a larger gamut.

I'm looking for information here on these forums if somebody have had experience with this before.
I don't have the personal experience to say what's right and wrong here, but experts seem to point out an obvious error that I think probably 98% of all JVC users don't address.

Have you ever tried to measure outside of Rec709 to see how accurate they are?
He is talking about calibration. All projectors have some color error and that is why calibration improves the image. Just hire a calibrator or learn how to calibrate yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
He is talking about calibration. All projectors have some color error and that is why calibration improves the image. Just hire a calibrator or learn how to calibrate yourself.
I am also talking about calibration, please.

The underlying foundation of a good calibration result is how you understand the display/projectors capabilities and limits prior to actually starting your calibration.

I don't think you understand.

The way I understand all this is, all or most colors extending beyond Rec709 on these projectors are an extension of the already mapped out Rec709 colors, the wider gamut is not native and is tricked in place.

Have I got it all wrong, can you not shed more light on this, please?

14181 - 14200 of 14313 Posts