AVS Forum banner

14221 - 14240 of 14270 Posts

·
aka jfinnie
4,449 Posts
How many hours are people getting on the original lamp?
At 2650hrs in two years on my X7900 first lamp I am down to a little more than half original brightness. The lamp was flickering a bit in low lamp, so I ran it for a week's viewing in high lamp. Flicker has gone but a new genuine lamp and housing is ordered and on the way (these are backordered with JVCUK).
I'll swap it out as soon as the new lamp arrives.
The new lamp cost means a lamp hour costs me less than $0.20 US - pretty reasonable entertainment.

·
aka jfinnie
4,449 Posts
It's crazy, the bulb in my NX5 (same bulb as the last 3 RS series) is down 25% from stock at only 400 hours already.

I measure it each time I use it and have been tracking it. I wonder why this is.
Unless you are a heavy high lamp user or a projector abuser (too hot install, too short between on / off cycling) I would imagine it might level off? Have you charted the decline if you measure it each time? Would be interesting to see.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Unless you are a heavy high lamp user or a projector abuser (too hot install, too short between on / off cycling) I would imagine it might level off? Have you charted the decline if you measure it each time? Would be interesting to see.
Not really a good chart, but it seems the majority of the drop happened in the 300-400 hour period.

I ran the first 200 hours in low bulb and the second 200h in high. There was a few % drop with the 200 hours on low. But the second 200 on high drastically dropped it.

Maybe it's too hot, but hard to know as there is no temp sensor to check. On/off cycles is not a problem. I turn it on like maybe once or twice a week for 3-4 hours at a time and then off.

I don't even know if high or low is hotter since high has a faster fan speed as well.

·
Registered
558 Posts
High lamp uncalibrated hight bright. At the maximum power. But my previous RS420 same conditions with 268 hours on first lamp and 110” screen reached ‘only’ 118 nits.. I guess that the screen size impacts a lot the the luminance. Otherwise I can’t explain 263 nits...but that’s the number.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A question for you veterans:

In the below video, Jason from Murideo couldn't get the RS600 to 100% Rec709 red, the saturation control did not work:

However, in this video, TVSPro managed to get a 99.6% coverage:

RS600 much worse than RS540? (X790R, TVSPro)
Or are JVC CMS controls just wonky, with a unit to unit variation?

Maybe Jason did something wrong?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the best way to fix a shortage of gamut is to create a new custom gamut via autocal.

This lets you widen the gamut primaries assuming the projector without the cinema filter can reach that far, but it should for rec709.
You are suggesting that he should create a new Picture Mode (User) and perform an autocalibration to restore the perhaps lost saturation/gamut capabilities of the projector?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by'creating a new custom gamut'.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
High lamp uncalibrated hight bright. At the maximum power. But my previous RS420 same conditions with 268 hours on first lamp and 110” screen reached ‘only’ 118 nits.. I guess that the screen size impacts a lot the the luminance. Otherwise I can’t explain 263 nits...but that’s the number.
You will lose 30% on the larger screen, and 30% when calibrated, so the RS520 will lose 50% or 134 nits when compared like-for-like with the RS420 (which measured 118 nits).

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You are suggesting that he should create a new Picture Mode (User) and perform an autocalibration to restore the perhaps lost saturation/gamut capabilities of the projector?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by'creating a new custom gamut'.

Thank you.
No, in autocal you can make a custom color profile and set the coordinates of the primaries as you want.

Technically autocal does this automatically, but maybe it’s failing compared to what you could do manually.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
No, in autocal you can make a custom color profile and set the coordinates of the primaries as you want.

Technically autocal does this automatically, but maybe it’s failing compared to what you could do manually.
You shouldn’t have to do that unless the meter is inaccurate.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
So what actually happened in Jason's case, why did he run out of saturation calibrating for Rec709?
No idea, unless someone ran colour Autocal with a Spyder 5.
I have seen many JVCs short on green (when not using the filter), but never red.

·
Registered
558 Posts
You will lose 30% on the larger screen, and 30% when calibrated, so the RS520 will lose 50% or 134 nits when compared like-for-like with the RS420 (which measured 118 nits).
Wow! Actually even bigger loss if you calculate -60% (30%+30%). In this way 263-157.8(60%) and it’s 105.2 nits. But I took that measurement with 420 not calibrated hight bright high lamp. So the difference should be only related to the bigger screen and only a loss of 30%. So 263-78.9(30%) and it is 184.1. I am confused Dominic!

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,238
At 2650hrs in two years on my X7900 first lamp I am down to a little more than half original brightness. The lamp was flickering a bit in low lamp, so I ran it for a week's viewing in high lamp. Flicker has gone but a new genuine lamp and housing is ordered and on the way (these are backordered with JVCUK).
I'll swap it out as soon as the new lamp arrives.
The new lamp cost means a lamp hour costs me less than $0.20 US - pretty reasonable entertainment.
I just posted a never installed new USHIO lamp I bought from Dominic in the classified, along with a couple of other JVC items. Link is in my sig.

14221 - 14240 of 14270 Posts