AVS Forum banner

14241 - 14260 of 14270 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,246
Calibration day! HDTVbyChadB coming over in a few hours.
Congrats. Now you can sit back and enjoy many hours of entertainment. :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Is this projector a good buy now? Smarter to get a sony true 4k or an epson pixel shift in a similar price range? Several people have indicated that these are not particularly reliable.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14,248 (Edited)
Is this projector a good buy now? Smarter to get a sony true 4k or an epson pixel shift in a similar price range? Several people have indicated that these are not particularly reliable.
If you get a bad sample, working with JVC customer support can feel like you're living thru an episode of the Sopranos.

The replacement x990 I received after a 3 month wait, ended up being fantastic. But Don Zucchini didn't make the journey an easy one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought the x790 over the Sony 295 4k native. I looked at the PJ at a local store and I just couldnt get over the black levels being so bad in comparison. I brought a friend who has the x790 with me to view it and he felt the x790 was superior. Reviews out there are mixed, but Sony doesn't beat JVC on black levels. Good luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Congrats. Now you can sit back and enjoy many hours of entertainment. :)
Yep, I haven't poured through the calibration reports yet. The biggest pain with this projector is dialing in the HDR performance and Chad did that in spades. Very happy with the calibration.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just bought the x790 over the Sony 295 4k native. I looked at the PJ at a local store and I just couldnt get over the black levels being so bad in comparison. I brought a friend who has the x790 with me to view it and he felt the x790 was superior. Reviews out there are mixed, but Sony doesn't beat JVC on black levels. Good luck!
I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on this since it seems it will be at least another year or two before true 4k d-ila or sxrd projectors get to the 4000 range. My old 40es has 1600 hours on it in 5 years--I just don't watch it enough to spend more. My only complaint about that projector is poor detail on dark scenes and a tendency to pixelate dark content.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on this since it seems it will be at least another year or two before true 4k d-ila or sxrd projectors get to the 4000 range. My old 40es has 1600 hours on it in 5 years--I just don't watch it enough to spend more. My only complaint about that projector is poor detail on dark scenes and a tendency to pixelate dark content.
If you decide to buy it, check my response in the deals section to find a good place to buy it. It worked out well for me. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
just got one from best buy with new store credit card. 24 months no interest, plus 10% discount along with the new application. black level significantly better than my UHZ65. very happy so far. I always has concerns about the JVC not bright enough compared to UHZ65 due to my watching environment, it turns out there is not much difference at all.

·
Registered
259 Posts
just got one from best buy with new store credit card. 24 months no interest, plus 10% discount along with the new application. black level significantly better than my UHZ65. very happy so far. I always has concerns about the JVC not bright enough compared to UHZ65 due to my watching environment, it turns out there is not much difference at all.
Damn it, you got mine! I was going to get one, I had it in my cart and ready and was poring over this thread prior to purchase and when I clicked on complete purchase it was out of stock.😢

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Damn it, you got mine! I was going to get one, I had it in my cart and ready and was poring over this thread prior to purchase and when I clicked on complete purchase it was out of stock.😢
According to this video from JVC America, they are still making the x790, so maybe it will back in stock later.

·
Registered
612 Posts
According to this video from JVC America, they are still making the x790, so maybe it will back in stock later.
Damn that’s a great looking projector! Oh wait, that’s mine! (lol)
Still one of the best deals @ $4K… bought mine March, 2019. Best PJ, I’ve ever owned. Black level and contrast still amazes me. Reminds me of what drove my buying decision. Thanks for the link.

edit: Be sure to get familiar with JVC Autocal V10. I had to run a gamma correction at around 250 hrs on lamp. Used a Spyder5 Pro meter from Datacal. Was absolutely necessary in my case. Here's one of my gamma calibration sessions.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Last night I looked on Best Buy's website and it appeared I could order. I put in all the info and had to go upstairs to get my best buy card. By the time I got back and entered the information and hit place order it told me they were unavailable.

So I check tonight, looks like it is available and have the card right here on my desk. Got the 10% off and used the best buy card to make the purchase and it says it will arrive between Nov 19 and 26. 😁

Now I have a month to decipher the easiest way to set it up for an acceptable picture. (y)

·
Registered
612 Posts
...Now I have a month to decipher the easiest way to set it up for an acceptable picture. (y)
All you have to do is turn it on! And be prepared to drool from the initial experience. A cheap Amazon light meter will help you dial in the manual aperture nits for your screen. But you can do all that by feel. You are going to be amazed!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Help!

i am trying to upload custom curves with the arve tool. I've downloaded Python, the Arve Tool. I tried tying in if 1000nit and I keep getting syntax error. I also can't seem to get the curves and the arve tool in the same folder. Please advise. I have my laptop hooked up via ethernet as well and I'm trying to import custom gamma. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Help!

i am trying to upload custom curves with the arve tool. I've downloaded Python, the Arve Tool. I tried tying in if 1000nit and I keep getting syntax error. I also can't seem to get the curves and the arve tool in the same folder.
I’ve just got ArveTools successfully working on my Mac. The key was to use a compatible Python version. Python 3.3 throwed an error. Python 3.9 another error. With Python 3.7 it finally worked. Then I had errors when saving curves into projector. After changing timeout in file jvc_network.py from default 1 second to 20 seconds it worked fine.

Check if you can load preset curve with “lp” first. After that try loading curves from file. Put the curve files (without subfolders) near arvetools python files. The command looks like this “lf 1200nitv3”. The “jvc_”-prefix and the extension should be omitted.

14241 - 14260 of 14270 Posts