AVS Forum banner

14261 - 14280 of 14317 Posts

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
All questions related to custom curves are discussed in this thread, which I assume you have seen:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Can someone please point out a set of posts or a JVC e-shift calibration for dummies I can focus on to learn how to set up the X790 without having to read through 700+ pages? There are pages about curves and some kind of Vertex2 hack and discussions about devices needed and it is all somewhat overwhelming. I am not that picky but I would like to put forth some effort to make it look as good as possible. Thanks very much in advance...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi, With the new AVSforum format I'm having difficulty finding where to search within a specific thread. Can somebody tell me if the JVC RS540 has any available firmware updates I can download? If so could you point me where to find them? Thanks!

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,183 Posts
Hi, With the new AVSforum format I'm having difficulty finding where to search within a specific thread. Can somebody tell me if the JVC RS540 has any available firmware updates I can download? If so could you point me where to find them? Thanks!
The search is right up at the top of the page always there.

Enter in your search query and click: "Search "your query" in this discussion"

·
Registered
880 Posts
Folks on this thread have always been psyched to have these JVC's at home -- but OMG, with the pandemic this year, my appreciation for these machines has blasted through the roof into low orbit. So grateful to have an RS540 on the ceiling, so glad I ran 400 of feet of speaker wire to install Atmos last year, and so glad a Great Wall of shiny discs. This year has pumped the already strong value proposition on all of that. I know most everybody in here feels the same way about their home theaters -- best covid sanity medicine ever. All you lampheads stay safe, enjoy the show, and for anybody fence sitting on snapping up one of these still available JVC's, just jump. Best thing ever. 👍

·
aka jfinnie
4,530 Posts
Just got a new (genuine) lamp for my x7900.

At 2750hrs on the original (been in just over 2 years) I was down to 80 nits full open in low lamp, high bright without calibration (with the filter in), but most annoyingly it was getting a bit flickery. A few hours in high lamp would fix it for a while, but I don't like the high lamp noise level as it is overhead.

The new lamp is around 126 nits, no flicker, and as a nice bonus, I've ended up it seems with about 1% wider gamut, and I can now close my iris back down for SDR, massively improving my blacks. Money very well spent. To be honest, I think I wish I'd changed it sooner.

That gets me a low lamp number of 107 nits of 95% DCI-P3 gamut D65 white point calibrated if I leave the iris fully open.
Screen is 92" Woven AT Screen Research Clearpix 4K.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Just got a new (genuine) lamp for my x7900.

At 2750hrs on the original (been in just over 2 years) I was down to 80 nits full open in low lamp, high bright without calibration (with the filter in), but most annoyingly it was getting a bit flickery. A few hours in high lamp would fix it for a while, but I don't like the high lamp noise level as it is overhead.

The new lamp is around 126 nits, no flicker, and as a nice bonus, I've ended up it seems with about 1% wider gamut, and I can now close my iris back down for SDR, massively improving my blacks. Money very well spent. To be honest, I think I wish I'd changed it sooner.

That gets me a low lamp number of 107 nits of 95% DCI-P3 gamut D65 white point calibrated if I leave the iris fully open.
Screen is 92" Woven AT Screen Research Clearpix 4K.
what kind of bulb did you go for? I’m looking at getting a new bulb and there are a couple options. Get a bar oem bulb then put it in the casing. Or a oem bulb in a Generic casing or a real Jvc bulb that’s going to cost like 800 Canadian. If you could share what you Paid for it and where you got it would be great.

·
aka jfinnie
4,530 Posts
what kind of bulb did you go for? I’m looking at getting a new bulb and there are a couple options. Get a bar oem bulb then put it in the casing. Or a oem bulb in a Generic casing or a real Jvc bulb that’s going to cost like 800 Canadian. If you could share what you Paid for it and where you got it would be great.
I got a genuine JVC in original housing from my UK JVC dealer - ie the proper factory part. His retail was around £420 but with a discount it worked out a few percent cheaper than that. Amortized over the number of hours used it seemed economic, less than £0.15 per hour and less than 10% of the cost of the unit.

I'm glad I went with genuine and chose to buy new from a trusted source including housing. A thin area on my original housing around the top screw disintegrated on removal, in spite of kid gloves. The screws were seemingly "gorilla tight". Looking at the damaged area, the housings are pretty brittle due to having to deal with high temperature (they're kind of like a bakelite type plastic), and to be honest given the heat they have to deal with, while I'm sure plenty don't have an issue with re-using them, they do strike me as being something that probably has a not disimilar service life to the lamp...

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I got a genuine JVC in original housing from my UK JVC dealer - ie the proper factory part. His retail was around £420 but with a discount it worked out a few percent cheaper than that. Amortized over the number of hours used it seemed economic, less than £0.15 per hour and less than 10% of the cost of the unit.

I'm glad I went with genuine and chose to buy new from a trusted source including housing. A thin area on my original housing around the top screw disintegrated on removal, in spite of kid gloves. The screws were seemingly "gorilla tight". Looking at the damaged area, the housings are pretty brittle due to having to deal with high temperature (they're kind of like a bakelite type plastic), and to be honest given the heat they have to deal with, while I'm sure plenty don't have an issue with re-using them, they do strike me as being something that probably has a not disimilar service life to the lamp...

View attachment 3054163
Good to know thanks. I’m just curious how much brightness you lost and how long do you normally have your unit on for. I’ve got 800 hours on my original bulb In 10 months with a average of 2-3 hours per on and off. I run mine iris open in sdr. I’ll probably change it out at 1500 hours before spring/summer and keep the bulb I have as a backup.

·
aka jfinnie
4,530 Posts
Good to know thanks. I’m just curious how much brightness you lost and how long do you normally have your unit on for. I’ve got 800 hours on my original bulb In 10 months with a average of 2-3 hours per on and off. I run mine iris open in sdr. I’ll probably change it out at 1500 hours before spring/summer and keep the bulb I have as a backup.
Well, at 2750hrs I was down to 80 nits uncalibrated in low lamp filter on, and replacing the lamp got me back to 126 like for like. So that is 37% drop if you assume this lamp is as good as the outgoing was (I reckon more-or-less per my recollection).

I generally only use it in the evening, and it goes on once and gets turned off at the end of the evening. Probably use it average of 6 days a week. So 2750 / ( 6 x 2 x 52 ) = 4 1/2 hours per session, which sounds about right.

I'd been progressively opening the iris, but for the last I'd say 250 hrs or so the flicker has been really annoying. That is mostly what made me get a new one, as I figure the lamp failing is just a really bad and slightly terminal flicker...!

·
Registered
161 Posts
On my RS540 I am just now starting to understand HDR signals. I need some help though. I loaded Javs curves v3 and while the color seemed ok the brightness was just too low. I tried adjusting the bottom black level but didn't notice any change. I went back to factory HDR and ST.2084 gamma. It looks good, but still too dark. For my eye it seems the picture looks better when I adjust the brightness to about 20. Is this supposed to be? the colors wash out a bit when I do this. I was wondering if this is "as good as it gets" or am I missing a magical setting?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
On my RS540 I am just now starting to understand HDR signals. I need some help though. I loaded Javs curves v3 and while the color seemed ok the brightness was just too low. I tried adjusting the bottom black level but didn't notice any change. I went back to factory HDR and ST.2084 gamma. It looks good, but still too dark. For my eye it seems the picture looks better when I adjust the brightness to about 20. Is this supposed to be? the colors wash out a bit when I do this. I was wondering if this is "as good as it gets" or am I missing a magical setting?

Thanks!
All custom curves are designed for a specific peak brightness, which depends on your screen size, screen gain, and other factors. There are two versions of the Javs curves; try the 85 nits ones if you find the “standard” ones too dark.
You can also try the settings suggested for the factory curves (see the link Optimizing HDR Curves in my signature).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hey Dominic,

I am expecting the x790 by Nov 26, I have a Denon AVR-4400 (you have 3400), I have a Sony UBP-x700, I notice you have the HD Fury Vertex 2. Should I add the Vertex2?

thanks...

14261 - 14280 of 14317 Posts