AVS Forum banner

14401 - 14420 of 14452 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I‘ve found this slide on a product page for X7900 of one German dealer:

View attachment 3074858
Hmm, this might very well be outside of my knowledge, but isn't 10bit sufficient for HDR10?
How is that 'compressed'? It's the exact same signal that's on the 4K UHD Blu-ray.
Perhaps players generally upsample to 4:4:4 for less distortion/artifacts for processing purposes?

Discs are even 4:2:0, so 4:2:2 is still an improvement, calling that 'compressed'?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, the colours are compressed on blu-ray. However some players have advanced algorithms to improve colour accuracy of the video. The resulted signal is then 12bit. I remember reading a complain of one user who stated that CMD of X7900 destroys all the work done by MadVR with chroma-upsampling.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does it mean that the rs400/500/600 series delivers only a compressed 10 bit color?
I don't know if you're trolling, but my conlusion would be that's not the case.
12-bit color seems to be resolved when 'Low Latency Mode' is activated, 10-bit too.

But the real question is what is resolved with 'Low Latency Mode' turned 'OFF', because I have seen reports of 'Low Latency Mode' introducing a softer image when it's turned 'ON'.

Maybe you need to have it 'ON' if you have a 12-bit signal sent to the projector.

Example: madVR sending SDR BT.2020 12-bit.
Would having 'Low Latency Mode' turned 'OFF' *uck up the signal?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have joined the JVC family for the New Year. Only 721 pages to read to get to know the good bad and ugly about the RS540. I was dead set on the Epson 6050ub even thought about the NX5 but my dealer had a hard snagging one as they trickled in. I called him on New Years Eve after months of waiting and the 6050ub was still backordered but he did find this RS540 in the next state so I jumped on it for $3300 total shipped. I felt it was a good deal and who knows when I would be able to grab something else and I heard these were discontinued back in September so finding one new was rare. Currently have it paired with a 100in DE 1.4 Pulsar ALR screen and the Panny 820.

Attachments

Reactions: giomania and JJ7

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is CMD (Clear Motion Drive) the same thing as 'Low Latency Mode'?
Almost. According to manual the Low Latency Mode disables (or is incompatible with) CMD, Keystone and Anamorphic correction. The manual also praises the low latency mode for correct processing of 10 and 12 bit signal. Maybe the slide above isn't correct about 10 bit in non-low-latency mode? Maybe it's 8 bits?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Almost. According to manual the Low Latency Mode disables (or is incompatible with) CMD, Keystone and Anamorphic correction. The manual also praises the low latency mode for correct processing of 10 and 12 bit signal. Maybe the slide above isn't correct about 10 bit in non-low-latency mode? Maybe it's 8 bits?
Can you link and refer to that particular page in the manual?
I'm not sure how you would measure that with calibration tools, I could ask a contact of mine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for calibration links, judged by the manual, it seems like JVC recommends 'Low Latency Mode'.

Quote:
High bandwidth signals such as 4K 10-bit and 12-bit signals can be processed without being converted. This allows a video to be shown without losing its original quality, thereby enabling the enjoyment of contents such as movies and concerts at higher quality.

I didn't know this.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hello everyone. I see the owners manual of the X790R mentions vertical keystone adjustment of + & - 16.
Does it do horizontal adjustment as well? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Hello everyone. I see the owners manual of the X790R mentions vertical keystone adjustment of + & - 16.
Does it do horizontal adjustment as well? Thanks in advance
Don't use keystone adjustment unless absolutely necessary. Even then, don't use it. Reposition your projector.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Don't use keystone adjustment unless absolutely necessary. Even then, don't use it. Reposition your projector.
Unfortunately due to the condition of the apartment if I want to go with the JVC, I have to use a little bit of horizontal keystone adjustment. The lens will be facing the center of the screen but from an angle.
if there is no adjustment, then I will have to go with the new LG HU810PW that is coming out in a few weeks but then I have to get a bigger screen so the throw distance works, ughhh

·
Registered
606 Posts
Unfortunately due to the condition of the apartment if I want to go with the JVC, I have to use a little bit of horizontal keystone adjustment. The lens will be facing the center of the screen but from an angle.
if there is no adjustment, then I will have to go with the new LG HU810PW that is coming out in a few weeks but then I have to get a bigger screen so the throw distance works, ughhh
You can use the horizontal lens shift not the keystone. A moderate lens shift won’t impact the picture quality

·
Registered
594 Posts
You can use the horizontal lens shift not the keystone. A moderate lens shift won’t impact the picture quality
I might have to try that, I would say the angle is about 5% or so off.
the throw distance calculator is showing 215 nits with my setup. Would that produce enough brightness to watch hdr?

·
Registered
606 Posts
I might have to try that, I would say the angle is about 5% or so off.
the throw distance calculator is showing 215 nits with my setup. Would that produce enough brightness to watch hdr?
You should loose 30/35% brightness but still about 140 nits that are more than enough for HDR on a projector. What screen are you using ? What distance throwing? You may experience hot spotting

14401 - 14420 of 14452 Posts