AVS Forum banner

14421 - 14440 of 14452 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
You should loose 30/35% brightness but still about 140 nits that are more than enough for HDR on a projector. What screen are you using ? What distance throwing? You may experience hot spotting
88” 2.40.1 Stewart Studiotek 100 located 15.5 feet away from the lenz.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It should be fine about hot spotting
but I am not a super expert. For sure you have enough brightness that allows you to close lens aperture (manual iris) and get a higher contrast. 100 nits calibrated would be a perfect target and you may not need the full open iris. Even 2 or 4 steps less can help contrast nicely.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
The lens will be facing the center of the screen but from an angle.
You should be doing the opposite - have the lens face straight ahead (perpendicular to the screen), which would make it off centre, but bring it back to the centre with the lens shift.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You should be doing the opposite - have the lens face straight ahead (perpendicular to the screen), which would make it off centre, but bring it back to the centre with the lens shift.
Actually I just now realized I can make it work and have the perfect angle hitting the screen. Some space just opened up so I’m just gonna go with the NX-7 and hope for the best. Thank you all.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I‘ve found this slide on a product page for X7900 of one German dealer:

View attachment 3074858
Without getting into the technical discussion of exactly what Low Latency on/off is supposed to do, I tried it and found that the image looks better, particularly with 4K material. There appears to be more colors and greater detail. Changing Low Latency to "ON" also appears to have "fixed" a nagging problem with lip-sync on my system.

Reactions: Venue

·
Registered
120 Posts
Seeing these projectors have inherent issues with their dynamic iris adjustment, I felt like I needed to ask, how many times can one altering the zoom and lens shift on these projectors before the lens mechanism becomes torn enough, either to completely stop working, or not returning to the exact level of adjustment previously configured? Is that even a thing on these projectors? I have the option of electronically zoom/scale my content, perhaps that's a better approach out of a lifespan perspective, but not in terms of performance seeing there would be a loss of resolution.

Does anyone know, is the lens mechanism built by parts made out of plastic or metal cogs?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just want to reiterate my opinion RE the iris issues people have had. Based on my experience, I continue to believe that the premature iris failure is due to repeatedly powering off the projector in a different iris mode than it starts up in. After getting my iris repaired well over a year ago, I've been using the projector heavily and the iris has been flawless. I've got my harmony setup so that I never power off the system without always setting the PJ back to the default THX startup mode, so the iris isn't exposed to that bug.

I may be eating my words in a another year or so, but so far so good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone had issues obtaining an IP address through DHCP on the DLA-X790R?

I am able to connect an ethernet cable directly between my projector and my laptop to perform the calibration functions without issue. However, if I wish to connect my projector to my home router using DHCP to acquire a network address, it will not get an address. I receive an error message that it failed to obtain an IP address. I have ruled out cables and issues on my router side as all equipment in my house is capable of receiving an IP address. Any ideas/tricks?
Hey all, thanks to everyone who tried to help with this issue. JVC tried to help as well and then concluded that I need to send the unit in for repair. However, I wanted to give it another try and for some unexplained reason, while DHCP does not work, I am now able to set a static assignment. And while I cannot see it in my router table of connected wired devices, I can ping the projector no problem. I have also sent IP commands to test the projector and they work so the problem is now solved :) It's a mystery to be honest which can either indicate one of three possibilities: 1. The problem is intermittent (hope not). 2. Power cycling at some point reset the projector or my router, or a switch in my network (who knows?). 3. I made wrong entry somehow multiple times (not likely as I went into projector and didn't change the static assignment I last tried nor the last manual DHCP table entry I made in my router).

Just happy it's working for now.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Hey all, thanks to everyone who tried to help with this issue. JVC tried to help as well and then concluded that I need to send the unit in for repair. However, I wanted to give it another try and for some unexplained reason, while DHCP does not work, I am now able to set a static assignment. And while I cannot see it in my router table of connected wired devices, I can ping the projector no problem. I have also sent IP commands to test the projector and they work so the problem is now solved :) It's a mystery to be honest which can either indicate one of three possibilities: 1. The problem is intermittent (hope not). 2. Power cycling at some point reset the projector or my router, or a switch in my network (who knows?). 3. I made wrong entry somehow multiple times (not likely as I went into projector and didn't change the static assignment I last tried nor the last manual DHCP table entry I made in my router).

Just happy it's working for now.
I had a similar problem. DHCP did not work. I entered the address manually, connected. Made address static. Then I put it back on DHCP and everything was OK. Go figure.

Reactions: dekodan

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi I would have a question related to the DI issues experienced by several x790 owners. Is it developed ‘only’ by x790 models or possibly on the x990 as well? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
30,248 Posts
Hi I would have a question related to the DI issues experienced by several x790 owners. Is it developed ‘only’ by x790 models or possibly on the x990 as well? Thank you very much!
The same parts are used in both projectors. JVC just puts the higher measured lens and chips in the 990.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thank you for your replies. Since I am not able to properly test the correct DI functionality of a used 990, and since the warranty is not transferable would you recommend to not take the chance in buying it ? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Thank you for your replies. Since I am not able to properly test the correct DI functionality of a used 990, and since the warranty is not transferable would you recommend to not take the chance in buying it ? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you
Will the seller give you the right to return within 30 days? If so, and the price is right, I'd go for it. The 990 is the gold standard for e-shift projectors, and arguments have been made that they look better than the native 4K models from JVC.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Will the seller give you the right to return within 30 days? If so, and the price is right, I'd go for it. The 990 is the gold standard for e-shift projectors, and arguments have been made that they look better than the native 4K models from JVC.
I don’t think I will have the 30 days return. The price is reasonable and close to a potential NX5. I own at the moment a rs520 and I am happy with it. It is placed in a living room environment partially treated. I read many owners preferring the e-shift 4 over the 5 as to a better sharpness. Will I get noticeable improvements switching from a 520 to a x990, besides the DI potential issues that actually were never developed by the 520/620 series. Thank you!

·
Registered
606 Posts
And I forgot to ask: same price and same conditions for a 990 and a 970, which one should I consider more? Thank you for your patience! Stay safe!

·
aka jfinnie
4,873 Posts
I don’t think I will have the 30 days return. The price is reasonable and close to a potential NX5. I own at the moment a rs520 and I am happy with it. It is placed in a living room environment partially treated. I read many owners preferring the e-shift 4 over the 5 as to a better sharpness. Will I get noticeable improvements switching from a 520 to a x990, besides the DI potential issues that actually were never developed by the 520/620 series. Thank you!
I wouldn't at this stage in the game bother with the marginal up from 520 to 990. 990 Used the newer eshift algo which some say robs sharpness, so what you gain in lens you might not keep, plus you have a 520 you know and understand vs an unknown qty with no warranty.
Save your money for next rev of non-eshift when they've put to bed the teething issues.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
And I forgot to ask: same price and same conditions for a 990 and a 970, which one should I consider more? Thank you for your patience! Stay safe!
Read the reviews about the NX5 and what you may give up in Black Level. I'd go for the 990, but what is the return policy? Perhaps some of the 990 owners on this forum can give you some simple "tests" to run on the 990 if you get it. FWIW, I own the 790 and have not had any problems with D.I., lens shift, etc. (knock on wood!!!). Yes, stay safe!

14421 - 14440 of 14452 Posts