AVS Forum banner

14661 - 14680 of 14731 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
It definitely works. Was the Correction Value set to Import? (and obvously the selected gamma has to be the same gamma as the one being edited).
i don't see import option in the gamma section? but i see the save option of which i have clicked on, yes its the same gamma that being selected.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don’t dare to interfere with much more experienced experts here but since you’re using a 1display pro why don’t you try to adjust the gamma separately and ‘manually’ and then run autocal only for color? I think I am the only jvc user who has never used autocal so far because with some patience a 1display pro plus hcfr or any other software you can get excellent results. Of course in 2-3 hours but once every 500 hours! So...still acceptable. Please don’t crucify me because of my hesitation about autocal :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I don’t dare to interfere with much more experienced experts here but since you’re using a 1display pro why don’t you try to adjust the gamma separately and ‘manually’ and then run autocal only for color? I think I am the only jvc user who has never used autocal so far because with some patience a 1display pro plus hcfr or any other software you can get excellent results. Of course in 2-3 hours but once every 500 hours! So...still acceptable. Please don’t crucify me because of my hesitation about autocal :)
i do it too, but i just do it the other way round :) , i run autocal first to get the base line, and then i confirm and correct accordingly with calman 5 , but unfortunatly with the limited gamma control point in the projector it self , u can't do that much

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
it edited in the gamma curve in app. clicked on save , and then measure the edited gamma curve in the projector, it sounds about right to me. correct?
“Saving” makes a copy on the PC, but is not necessary since while you edit the gamma the change is being sent to the projector in close to real time. However, as I mentioned previously, the projector must be in the Correction Value = Import, in order for you to see the change.
Just out of curiosity - how do you decide on what changes to make in the gamma curve, if you cannot measure the effects of the changes?

·
Registered
745 Posts
“Saving” makes a copy on the PC, but is not necessary since while you edit the gamma the change is being sent to the projector in close to real time. However, as I mentioned previously, the projector must be in the Correction Value = Import, in order for you to see the change.
Just out of curiosity - how do you decide on what changes to make in the gamma curve, if you cannot measure the effects of the changes?
i allways measure the (after)results with the i1 display pro and calman 5 software to confirm the actaul changes.

·
Registered
666 Posts
i do it too, but i just do it the other way round :) , i run autocal first to get the base line, and then i confirm and correct accordingly with calman 5 , but unfortunatly with the limited gamma control point in the projector it self , u can't do that much
5%-95% isn’t that much? You can adjust the gamma curve extremely precise. And since you have to ‘refine’ the autocal through calman what’s the benefit of using autocal comparing to an exclusive use of calman? Yes I am not a big fan of autocal:)

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
i allways measure the (after)results with the i1 display pro and calman 5 software to confirm the actaul changes.
I know, but it’s much easier to measure with CalMAN, HCFR etc while you’re making the adjustment. If you only measure it after, it could take many iterations.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
5%-95% isn’t that much? You can adjust the gamma curve extremely precise. And since you have to ‘refine’ the autocal through calman what’s the benefit of using autocal comparing to an exclusive use of calman? Yes I am not a big fan of autocal:)
I believe he was referring the the projector itself (not using the JVC calibration software), which only gives you 3 points.
but unfortunatly with the limited gamma control point in the projector it self , u can't do that much

·
Registered
745 Posts
And since you have to ‘refine’ the autocal through calman what’s the benefit of using autocal comparing to an exclusive use of calman? Yes I am not a big fan of autocal:)
it's just that i find it more easier when i do the first run with Autocal. which usaully gives me a great results on it's own, (see graph below , this is the result of Autocal on it's own) i then run measurments with calman to confirm the actaul results from the autocal, after the calibration has been performed , and then correct these minor error if any, for example as u can see in the graph at 90% the gamma need a little bit correction, and this is where the App. gamma eidtor comes handy, but as i have said unfortunately it's not working/effecting the actaul gamma in the projector.

i perfectly understand when u say that u are not a fan of Autocal. my first encounter with the Autocal. was realy terrrible it literally messed up my projector color filters/balance and i had to use the init file to restore it, but as it turned out it wasn't the Autocal. fault , it was because something was wrong with the the hack i was using to make the i1 display pro. works in autocal. (it just didn't work correct on my system) but then using the latest version of the xrite sdk DLL. which @OMARDRIS have just released (Thanks @OMARDRIS ) has fixed the problem. and i must say im realy impresssed with the result i get with Autocal. specailly when u think it only take a few click and wait like 10 min. and u are done :)

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,684 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
After the first time i used JVC autocal. and my big unfortunate incident i was left totally disappointed with the App. and i thought i was never gonna use it again, because the result was so bad that i had to go looking for the init file (thanks @Dominic Chan) just to restore the projector to it's colors filters defaults, nevertheless i have been trying since then to see if i can make it work , but no matter how much i tried i just coudn't make it work, and just when i was about to give up , i heard that @OMARDRIS (Thank you OMARDRIS) have just released a new version of the xrite SDK DLL., then i thought why not give it a try, and boy im glad that i did, it just worked like charm! i wanted to confirm the actaul after calibration results with calman 5, and the measurments of the end results was nothing less than impresive! i mean to get to this level of accuracy with a few click and wait like 10 min.? it's damn super impresive! mind u this is only the Autocal. on it's own, and i havn't made any tweaking or adjustment yet, im sure that i can tighten up the result a little bit more when i get to it.
so for those who still struggling with the i1 display pro and autcol. this just might be what u are looking for. @Bandyka

The developer recommend that u run the Autocal. with the i1 display pro diffuser ON, in the AOI mode, and i completely agree with him , i have runned two sets of calibaration with the diffuser ON/OFF just to compare them to each other , and indeed with the diffuser ON. i got much better result, u would need to find the sweet spot for how far the meter should be from the projector lens, in my room i had place the meter about 3 feet in front of the projector lens. hope this help someone out there as i did help me.
Thanks to @OMARDRIS @Dominic Chan and all thos who envolved in this great project.
This was a good call. With the new version finally autocal has done a calibration without screwing up the blacks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
it's just that i find it more easier when i do the first run with Autocal. which usaully gives me a great results on it's own, (see graph below , this is the result of Autocal on it's own) i then run measurments with calman to confirm the actaul results from the autocal, after the calibration has been performed , and then correct these minor error if any, for example as u can see in the graph at 90% the gamma need a little bit correction, and this is where the App. gamma eidtor comes handy, but as i have said unfortunately it's not working/effecting the actaul gamma in the projector.

i perfectly understand when u say that u are not a fan of Autocal. my first encounter with the Autocal. was realy terrrible it literally messed up my projector color filters/balance and i had to use the init file to restore it, but as it turned out it wasn't the Autocal. fault , it was because something was wrong with the the hack i was using to make the i1 display pro. works in autocal. (it just didn't work correct on my system) but then using the latest version of the xrite sdk DLL. which @OMARDRIS have just released (Thanks @OMARDRIS ) has fixed the problem. and i must say im realy impresssed with the result i get with Autocal. specailly when u think it only take a few click and wait like 10 min. and u are done :)
View attachment 3118930
I've been reviewing the various threads on alternative meters for Autocal preparing for my first calibration attempt on my X790. For clarity, are you using the i1Display3 meter and are you happy with the results for both Autocal gamma and colour? I see that you're happy with the gamma results after adding the files from OMARDRIS.
Also, is there a reason JVC doesn't address the fact that both compatible meters are discontinued? Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure about it's status. It's still shown on the US web site and units were produced not long ago. It can still be purchased from my dealer.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
After finally being able to run a full calibration with the iPro, gamma got flattened however far from accurate, green and blue are on the dot owever red is way below the ideal base line, it cannot be adjusted manually either, one trick I was able to do is to adjust the screen table so it ads a reddish tune to it raising red but still well below the line. My best guess is that that lamp is severely deficient in red hence needs to be replaced.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've been reviewing the various threads on alternative meters for Autocal preparing for my first calibration attempt on my X790. For clarity, are you using the i1Display3 meter and are you happy with the results for both Autocal gamma and colour? I see that you're happy with the gamma results after adding the files from OMARDRIS.
Also, is there a reason JVC doesn't address the fact that both compatible meters are discontinued? Thanks!
as i have said i'm completely happy with the results i gets from autocal. for both the gamma/grayscale/colors.
if u set it up right, u can be rewarded with a great results. please see/read my previuos post about how to get the best reading from i1 display pro. with autocal. well at least it worked best for me.

·
Registered
745 Posts
After finally being able to run a full calibration with the iPro, gamma got flattened however far from accurate, green and blue are on the dot owever red is way below the ideal base line, it cannot be adjusted manually either, one trick I was able to do is to adjust the screen table so it ads a reddish tune to it raising red but still well below the line. My best guess is that that lamp is severely deficient in red hence needs to be replaced.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
just not to get confuse, which ipro are using? is it the i1 display pro?, how are placing the meter during calibration? if u are using i1 display pro. please make sure that the difffuser is in place (ON) and that u are doing the reading in the AOI. mode, at the start up choose a longer maximum integration time, the default is 4 switch it to 6. also choose a qaulity gamma 33 steps.
make sure that u doing the reading from the projector lens with the meter about 3 feet in the front of the peojector lens and leveled up with it, so that the meter is getting the max. reading.
on the x7900 which is the same model i own, i recommend that u turn on the projector for 50-60 min. before u start any calibration , i noticed from measurments that lamp in these projector takes a little bit more time to realy kick in.
finally don't get too much hung up on the generated graph results that u see in the autocal. App.ultimately u want to measure the image that is reflected off your screen, because that is what's your eyes will be seeing, so a measurment off the screen with calm/hcfr. ect. at the end of the session is really recommended.

14661 - 14680 of 14731 Posts