AVS Forum banner

14681 - 14700 of 14731 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
just not to get confuse, which ipro are using? is it the i1 display pro?, how are placing the meter during calibration? if u are using i1 display pro. please make sure that the difffuser is in place (ON) and that u are doing the reading in the AOI. mode, at the start up choose a longer maximum integration time, the default is 4 switch it to 6. also choose a qaulity gamma 33 steps.
make sure that u doing the reading from the projector lens with the meter about 3 feet in the front of the peojector lens and leveled up with it, so that the meter is getting the max. reading.
on the x7900 which is the same model i own, i recommend that u turn on the projector for 50-60 min. before u start any calibration , i noticed from measurments that lamp in these projector takes a little bit more time to realy kick in.
finally don't get too much hung up on the generated graph results that u see in the autocal. App.ultimately u want to measure the image that is reflected off your screen, because that is what's your eyes will be seeing, so a measurment off the screen with calm/hcfr. ect. at the end of the session is really recommended.
Thanks, I am aware of all of that I've been dong these cals for many moons, the only new part is the alternative meter. It doesn't matter if I do it off of the screen or directly at the lens I get very similar red deficiency and since these lamps a generally red deficient it points me toward the lamp, I just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions or can relate to it. If autocal isn't able to boost red enough and cannot even be corrected manually it generally means a new lamp is in order in my experience.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Thanks, I am aware of all of that I've been dong these cals for many moons, the only new part is the alternative meter. It doesn't matter if I do it off of the screen or directly at the lens I get very similar red deficiency and since these lamps a generally red deficient it points me toward the lamp, I just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions or can relate to it. If autocal isn't able to boost red enough and cannot even be corrected manually it generally means a new lamp is in order in my experience.
let me ask u thise, have u treid running the calibration manaully with something like calman/hcfr. do u get the same red deficiency?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
let me ask u thise, have u treid running the calibration manaully with something like calman/hcfr. do u get the same red deficiency?
Yes thats standard practice, thats how I know it's not able to correct it.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
You can’t lower the blue and green gains so that they balance out with the red?
nope that would be way too much brigtness loss, thats why autocal won't do it either I am guessing.

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,684 Posts
nope that would be way too much brigtness loss, thats why autocal won't do it either I am guessing.
How much is way too much exactly?

On my JVC NX5 the loss is about 25% from high brightness in order to bring the colors into D65 balance when calibrated.

This is pretty standard and actually on the lower end of loss compared to many other projectors that I've calibrated.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yes thats standard practice, thats how I know it's not able to correct it.
i see. the only thing left to try is if u have another meter to try, just to findout if it's i1 display behaving.
in saying that on my x7900 i get 94% red , but it's easly correct with the rgb control in the projector just need 5-6 clicks and im there 100% on red.
don't waste your time trying to manually correct the gamma/rgb from the autocal app. it's not working, at least on my x7900.

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,684 Posts
don't waste your time trying to manually correct the gamma/rgb from the autocal app. it's not working, at least on my x7900.
Hmm, the gamma editor in autocal should work well.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
unfortunately it's not working my x7900, a few owners of the x7900 at the uk. avforum. have also reported same issue....maybe it depened on which models and software V. in use?
As I mentioned previously, manual gamma adjustments definitely work, but only if the Correction Value is set to Import. You cannot have the Correction Value set to 2.2 or 2.4 etc and expect to see the effects of manual adjustments.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Guys, my rs540 has developed a small blue spot (probably only a few pixels on the screen when black. The color is off when not black (oranges appear more yellow, etc. Is this something that is covered by the warranty? I bought it about 1.5 years ago. Just checking before I file a claim if this will be covered or not.

·
Registered
745 Posts
As I mentioned previously, manual gamma adjustments definitely work, but only if the Correction Value is set to Import. You cannot have the Correction Value set to 2.2 or 2.4 etc and expect to see the effects of manual adjustments.
i get that, but i'm confident that it's not working on the X7900 (at least mine) i have confirmed that with actaul measurments using both calman/hcfr.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
i get that, but i'm confident that it's not working on the X7900 (at least mine) i have confirmed that with actaul measurments using both calman/hcfr.
I suspect it’s user error. HCFR/CalMAN would make no difference if the projector settings are incorrect.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts

On my JVC NX5 the loss is about 25% from high brightness in order to bring the colors into D65 balance when calibrated.

This is pretty standard and actually on the lower end of loss compared to many other projectors that I've calibrated.
It would be another 20% at least on top of the usual loss due to calibration.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i see. the only thing left to try is if u have another meter to try, just to findout if it's i1 display behaving.
in saying that on my x7900 i get 94% red , but it's easly correct with the rgb control in the projector just need 5-6 clicks and im there 100% on red.
Yeah it could be the meter but the last itme I checked against he Spyder the radings were similar so..
Manual gamma adjustment works as explained by others you just need to do it correctly.
Red on mine is at about 70% and can only boost to about 80% if using the screen correction value of 001.
I've had similar with my X9500 and only a new lamp fixed it hence my suggestion to replace it, just checking for other opinions. Its at about 1300 hours so its time anyway.

Cheers

·
Registered
745 Posts
I suspect it’s user error. HCFR/CalMAN would make no difference if the projector settings are incorrect.
it's not rocket science, im confident no mistake on my part , again it's not whether the result correct/incorrect, the point is that the manaul adjustments/changes are not taking any effect in the projector, and only actaul measurments with a software like calman/hfcr. will reveal on that.
could be mine is faulty.....

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yeah it could be the meter but the last itme I checked against he Spyder the radings were similar so..
Manual gamma adjustment works as explained by others you just need to do it correctly.
Red on mine is at about 70% and can only boost to about 80% if using the screen correction value of 001.
I've had similar with my X9500 and only a new lamp fixed it hence my suggestion to replace it, just checking for other opinions. Its at about 1300 hours so its time anyway.

Cheers
in that case, then yes i begin to suspect the lamp too....
about the gamma i have realy tried everthing , nothing is working, could be mine is faulty?

·
Registered
10,434 Posts

That depends on the lamp and the projector. In the HighBright mode I get the following readings from two different lamps (R/G/B):
Lamp1: 160/176/193; ~170 nits
Lamp2: 160/195/192; ~190 nits

In both cases I get about 150 nits after calibration, but that represents a 12% “loss” for lamp1 and 21% “loss” for lamp2.

·
Registered
10,434 Posts
it's not rocket science, im confident no mistake on my part , again it's not whether the result correct/incorrect, the point is that the manaul adjustments/changes are not taking any effect in the projector, and only actaul measurments with a software like calman/hfcr. will reveal on that.
could be mine is faulty.....
It’s not rocket science, but it’s crucial that the projector uses Import for Correction Value, and yet in your previous post you said “i don't see import option in the gamma section” which would explain why it didn’t work.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It’s not rocket science, but it’s crucial that the projector uses Import for Correction Value, and yet in your previous post you said “i don't see import option in the gamma section” which would explain why it didn’t work.
this is the method im using to adjust my gamma, as explained in the instrution, im i missing something alse?
and after ii have finished and exit the programs , im measuring the actaul result of the gamma that have just edited in the projector with calman to confirm.

14681 - 14700 of 14731 Posts