AVS Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 6437 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm not having any handshake issues. Just wondering what, if any, bump I'd get in Visual/Audio qualify by changing AVRs or going to separate video/audio processors.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
@AV Science Sales 5 - Mike, you hinted at JVC releasing a new firmware to update/upgrade a few things. Any details?
Told new software was coming on them this year. Do not know if this will be offered as an update. I will have to check. The CEDIA special will be offered until end of October.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Told new software was coming on them this year. Do not know if this will be offered as an update. I will have to check. The CEDIA special will be offered until end of October.
Let's hope so. That would be a bummer if the only certain batches had newer software...assuming JVC actually improved something worthwhile. Hopefully it would be an update we can do without sending it in as well. You'd think since it is the same hardware, there is no reason any software update wouldn't be made available to all existing units.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Thanks Mike! Please keep us informed. It would be odd if they only offered the new software on "new" units as that would make them decidedly different than all the other X500's out in the wild. It would be more like an X500 MKII, basically a new model.

You didn't ask what types of updates we're going to see?

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Thanks Mike! Please keep us informed. It would be odd if they only offered the new software on "new" units as that would make them decidedly different than all the other X500's out in the wild. It would be more like an X500 MKII, basically a new model.

You didn't ask what types of updates we're going to see?
I asked, I just did not get an exact answer as to what the update provided. :)

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Let's hope so. That would be a bummer if the only certain batches had newer software...assuming JVC actually improved something worthwhile. Hopefully it would be an update we can do without sending it in as well. You'd think since it is the same hardware, there is no reason any software update wouldn't be made available to all existing units.
Keep in mind, JVC does not want just anybody to try to perform an update. Many people have bricked a projector in doing this. We here on AVS have gotten this because we are a little more geeky than the average consumer. :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Keep in mind, JVC does not want just anybody to try to perform an update. Many people have bricked a projector in doing this. We here on AVS have gotten this because we are a little more geeky than the average consumer. :)
To my knowledge JVC has posted all their updates to their support site. Even the convoluted one that required a two part update was posted there.

You can brick almost any device during a firmware update, just pull the plug :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey guys. I seem to be getting a lot of black crush. Curious if there's a setting that might change this. I'm still learning what each setting does, since they are very different from what I'm used to. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hey guys. I seem to be getting a lot of black crush. Curious if there's a setting that might change this. I'm still learning what each setting does, since they are very different from what I'm used to. Thanks.
In the gamma section, try a value of 2.3 or 2.4 and adjust the dark correction up a few clicks. Also check your brightness and contrast with test pattern.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ok thank. I have it set to 2.2 right and am using the DVE disc. I'll try those different values.
Keep in mind, it's raising the "dark level" adjustment that will bring out more shadow detail. The 2.3 and 2.4 gamma presets will actually crush blacks more than the 2.2 setting, so the dark level adjustment is the key here.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Keep in mind, it's raiding the "dark level" adjustment that will bring out more shadow detail. The 2.3 and 2.4 gamma presets will actually crush blacks more than the 2.2 setting, so the dark level adjustment is the key here.
They can. Not knowing what his starting gamma was, I suggested 2.3 or 2.4. 2.2 tends to run closer to 2 or below and can looked washed out. 2.3 or 2.4 with dark correction would probably look better and track closer to 2.3 with a dip to 2.2 at 5-10%

·
Registered
249 Posts
Keep in mind, it's raising the "dark level" adjustment that will bring out more shadow detail. The 2.3 and 2.4 gamma presets will actually crush blacks more than the 2.2 setting, so the dark level adjustment is the key here.
I was thinking that but figured I'd try it. When you say "dark level" are you talking brightness or is there something else in the menu? I'm coming from an epson 8500ub where it was pretty easy to understand what all the controls did. The Jvc, while far superior in picture quality, has a bit of a learning curve to the adjustments.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I was thinking that but figured I'd try it. When you say "dark level" are you talking brightness or is there something else in the menu? I'm coming from an epson 8500ub where it was pretty easy to understand what all the controls did. The Jvc, while far superior in picture quality, has a bit of a learning curve to the adjustments.
In the gamma menu there is the option to select your preset gamma curve (2.2, 2.3, 2.4, etc...) and below that you should see other adjustment options that can be applied to the gamma you select. I think they are called "picture tone", "?bright level?", and "dark level". It is the dark level adjustment you need to raise. This will bring out shadow detail in the darker APL images.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi everyone

Just ordered my 4910 from Mike at AVS and got an amazing deal !
Super excited to receive it and get it set up once my HT is built. Can anyone recommend a good ceiling mount?
I will be mounting it at 15' 6" as per Mikes recommendation, but would also like to know how low I should hang it?

2301 - 2320 of 6437 Posts