AVS Forum banner

2161 - 2180 of 5999 Posts

·
Registered
18,116 Posts
Oh copy that. I understand that and already have a 2.35 Seymour. I meant more about the comparison of the RS400 4K to a native 4K television screen/monitor.
Ah, that's different. Can't say, as I love projectors and big screens. It would be hard to give up my 122" 16:9 screen for an 80" TV. Let alone my 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen. http://displaywars.com/80-inch-16x9-vs-122-inch-16x9

·
Registered
713 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of an HDMI cable causing cropping when you play videos on the JVC ?

I have a Gator 25ft HDMI 4K Cable 18gb speed that shows all videos being cropped when playing into the JVC from a media player; happens on 4K and 1080 videos.

Jpeg still frames play in full 16:9 as does the menu of the player,etc. Only videos show cropping on all sides

I have connected the player to other TV’s with no problems; all showing 16:9

Anyone have any idea why the JVC is showing cropped videos ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone tried the Monoprice HDMI 4k certified cable yet with the RS400? (The cable that's comes with a barcode to scan and see if it's legit or not..)

I was thinking about getting one to try.

Is the 4k shift worth the investment? Anyone have first hand experience with the RS400 and a native 4K screen? I was thinking about getting the Samsung 4K player if the 4K shift is good.

Thank you all.
I've tried Monoprice HDMI 4k certified 35' but didn't work for 4k/60 4:4:4 signal. I've tried lot of high speed HDMI 35ft cables but couldn't find one that works with Samsung UHD player 4k/60 4:4:4. The only HDMI cable I was able to make it work is the 35ft Celerity fiber optic HDMI, but that cost me $240.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of an HDMI cable causing cropping when you play videos on the JVC ?

I have a Gator 25ft HDMI 4K Cable 18gb speed that shows all videos being cropped when playing into the JVC from a media player; happens on 4K and 1080 videos.

Jpeg still frames play in full 16:9 as does the menu of the player,etc. Only videos show cropping on all sides

I have connected the player to other TV’s with no problems; all showing 16:9

Anyone have any idea why the JVC is showing cropped videos ?
Cable can not crop the video. Comparing it to Jpeg and suspecting cable is also incorrect.
You need to check your player as well as pJ settings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've tried Monoprice HDMI 4k certified 35' but didn't work for 4k/60 4:4:4 signal. I've tried lot of high speed HDMI 35ft cables but couldn't find one that works with Samsung UHD player 4k/60 4:4:4. The only HDMI cable I was able to make it work is the 35ft Celerity fiber optic HDMI, but that cost me $240.
I have the same cable, but can only get it to work for 4K/60/4:4:4 going direct from the K8500 to the RS400. Have you been able to pass a 4K/60/4:4:4 signal through an AVR to your RS400?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The JVC shows whatever the Marantz is set to put out: 4K, 1080P, 1080i, etc. - whatever I configure the Marantz to output.
Have you tried bypassing the AVR, and going directly from the DVR to the JVC? That could be informative. For one thing, it would reveal what kind of signal the box is outputting. Currently, with the AVR in the chain, the JVC can only report what the AVR is outputting. From what I've read, all your other sources to the JVC are fine, and it's just the TWC box that's an issue?

Tried a new Amazon HDMI Cable - no difference.
No surprise there. It would have been shocking if it had.

And this isn't compression artifacts, though. I see that on other TV's in the house, and on the JVC as well, especially with bright, fast moving scenes. This is different, as far as I can see.
No, this isn't compression artifacts. What it is is an interlacing issue, where all your alternate scan lines have been dropped, so it's filling in by doubling up the 50% of the lines you have left. That's why the horrible stair-stepping diagonals are visible.

I may have missed it, but did you say if this same DVR behavior is present on other displays you have? The problem is certainly within the DVR, but what I'm not sure about is if it's restricted to the interface between it and other specific devices (hence my suggestion to bypass the AVR). Or if it's consistently visible no matter what you connect it to?

It is possible that on small displays and non-critical connect, this "half-rezzing" may get overlooked, and written off as general crusty-ness. While larger and/or better quality displays will expose the real problem. (I can immediately detect more subtle interlacing problems, even when they're only reversed parity. What you're experiencing sticks out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately, I have no experience with TWC or their boxes, to offer anything specific.)

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Final (hopefully!) Update:

I brought in the DVR from the other room, and when I tried to connect it with the TWC Coax Cable in that room, the hum was once again immediately apparent. So I put in the Viewsonics filter inline, and the hum was gone. Booted up the DVR, and, surprisingly, the video now looked normal!!

I then took the DVR that was giving me trouble in my Home Theater room, and connected it to the Panasonic Plasma in the other room, and it worked fine in there.

I have no explanation as to why that particular DVR didn't do well with the RS400 projector, while it had no trouble with the Panasonic Plasma, but I now have 2 functioning DVR's.
I need to stop responding to posts when I'm reading 20 posts behind. ;) Anyway, I'm glad you found a solution, even if you didn't find an explanation. It would have been interesting though to see what the JVC reported as the signal format on the defective TWC DVR unit. My guess is you would have been surprised, and discovered it had reverted to something unexpected, like 480i/p.

While you started out with discussions about the audio hum you had experienced, and eliminated with the isolator, I think that was tangential to your video issue. That one wasn't distortion of the video signal itself (as it was originally described), though it's possible that the grounding problem you experienced was also causing a level shift on the video side, which caused the TWC box to decide to emit the damaged signal you observed.

In any event, now that the problem is gone I can understand that your motivation to continue experimenting is no longer a priority. :( :D So we will probably never know for sure. However since your 2nd DVR works fine in the same electrical context that the first one failed in, the first is either defective (worst case), or at the very least (best case) more susceptible to problems resulting from grounding issues.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I appreciate your input, "20 posts late" or not!!:D:D

Have you tried bypassing the AVR, and going directly from the DVR to the JVC? That could be informative. For one thing, it would reveal what kind of signal the box is outputting. Currently, with the AVR in the chain, the JVC can only report what the AVR is outputting. From what I've read, all your other sources to the JVC are fine, and it's just the TWC box that's an issue?
I did try that, and if I recall correctly, the JVC was showing 1080i, which is how the TWC box was configured (it provides a choice of 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). But as reported, the problem was unchanged.

No surprise there. It would have been shocking if it had.
This was on switching out the HDMI cable, and I agree. But I do like to be thorough, and given the quirks of cables supporting 4k and full HDR, I thought it would be worth a shot!

No, this isn't compression artifacts. What it is is an interlacing issue, where all your alternate scan lines have been dropped, so it's filling in by doubling up the 50% of the lines you have left. That's why the horrible stair-stepping diagonals are visible.
I am very glad you brought this up, because even though I didn't mention it in my posts, this is exactly what I thought was going on: an interlacing problem of some sort. I tried the various settings for interlacing provided in the JVC projector, in the i/p Scaler, as well as fully turning it on and off. I also tried having the TWC box put out 720p rather than 1080i, but once again, the problem was unaffected.

I may have missed it, but did you say if this same DVR behavior is present on other displays you have? The problem is certainly within the DVR, but what I'm not sure about is if it's restricted to the interface between it and other specific devices (hence my suggestion to bypass the AVR). Or if it's consistently visible no matter what you connect it to?

It is possible that on small displays and non-critical connect, this "half-rezzing" may get overlooked, and written off as general crusty-ness. While larger and/or better quality displays will expose the real problem. (I can immediately detect more subtle interlacing problems, even when they're only reversed parity. What you're experiencing sticks out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately, I have no experience with TWC or their boxes, to offer anything specific.)
It was previously connected to an M-Series Vizio LCD TV in our bedroom, and this problem was not present there. And it doesn't seem to be present connected where it is now, to a 65" VT60 series Panasonic Plasma. But, I will have to say that, at times, there seems to be a faint manifestation, only with print that is present on the screen), so I'm not yet ready to say it isn't fully gone for that TV.[/quote]

While you started out with discussions about the audio hum you had experienced, and eliminated with the isolator, I think that was tangential to your video issue. That one wasn't distortion of the video signal itself (as it was originally described), though it's possible that the grounding problem you experienced was also causing a level shift on the video side, which caused the TWC box to decide to emit the damaged signal you observed.

In any event, now that the problem is gone I can understand that your motivation to continue experimenting is no longer a priority. :( :D So we will probably never know for sure. However since your 2nd DVR works fine in the same electrical context that the first one failed in, the first is either defective (worst case), or at the very least (best case) more susceptible to problems resulting from grounding issues.
I'm not sure if you saw my comments on this, but the Home Theater room was added on to our main house 26 years ago, and has its own electrical panel outside, adjacent to the original panel that supplies the rest of the house. As far as I can tell, they all go to the same grounding rod at that location, the only one I can see, so presumably grounding would be the same. But my Home Theater room is definitely on a different panel than the rest of the house. That really makes me wonder if that is somehow underlying both the presence of the audio hum, which doesn't occur elsewhere (the Panasonic Plasma connects to an Onkyo AVR, and an Atlantic Technology HTIB, including a subwoofer, so presumably would be more likely to exhibit the hum I find in my Home Theater setup), and the video problem.

The Home Theater Room also has a 220v line coming off its panel, to supply a Hot Springs Spa, which I just thought of when writing this post - I wonder if this is somehow related...

The other explanation, as you point out, is a quirk in this second DVR, making it the origin of, or being more susceptible to, these audio and video problems.

Thanks again for your post. I definitely do not like unsolved mysteries, and yours got me thinking again!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same cable, but can only get it to work for 4K/60/4:4:4 going direct from the K8500 to the RS400. Have you been able to pass a 4K/60/4:4:4 signal through an AVR to your RS400?
I have Marantz SR6010 between K8500 and RS400. So far, I am able to get 4K/60 4:4:4 signal with the AVR in the chain using the Celerity cable. I didn't try it directly from K8500 to RS400. I am using 3ft high speed HDMI cable between K8500 and the AVR.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was fine tuning last night and noticed the following that I can't seem to explain... I decided to use the "Lens Center" option under Lens Control in the menu. The lens moved up the screen exactly as I would expect (ceiling mount) because I have to use Vertical Shift to pull the upper half of the image fully on my screen. What surprised me and I can't understand is the grid then moved to the left about 5" from screen center. I've remeasured both the projector lens center and the screen center and everything seems to be within 1/8" of accuracy. Has anyone else seen where the lens center feature doesn't center the grid left to right? My first thought is that the projector is turned slightly to the left, but if it were that much I would see it on the grid not being equal?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Exact same learning on my end. Problems with multiple 30' cables, ordered the Celerity and all my issues went away. 4K/60 hasn't been an issue, the only downside of the Fiber Optic is it takes a couple of seconds for the HDMI handshake to occur when changing sources.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The projector mount is the simplest. A shelf could be a cool way to go. I just went ahead and built a full blown vented closet in my theater, so i never have to worry how loud the projector is -

Hey Craig,

This looks awesome. Can you PM me on how you did this please?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,745 Posts
I was fine tuning last night and noticed the following that I can't seem to explain... I decided to use the "Lens Center" option under Lens Control in the menu. The lens moved up the screen exactly as I would expect (ceiling mount) because I have to use Vertical Shift to pull the upper half of the image fully on my screen. What surprised me and I can't understand is the grid then moved to the left about 5" from screen center. I've remeasured both the projector lens center and the screen center and everything seems to be within 1/8" of accuracy. Has anyone else seen where the lens center feature doesn't center the grid left to right? My first thought is that the projector is turned slightly to the left, but if it were that much I would see it on the grid not being equal?
Put up the blue image that you see with no signal.
Reduce image size so that it is about a 1/2" smaller than your screen frame.
Have enough light on in the room so that we can see the screen frame and the blue image clearly.
Take picture of the full screen and post.

We can then see if the projector is aligned with the screen.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Put up the blue image that you see with no signal.
Reduce image size so that it is about a 1/2" smaller than your screen frame.
Have enough light on in the room so that we can see the screen frame and the blue image clearly.
Take picture of the full screen and post.

We can then see if the projector is aligned with the screen.
Took several pictures from phone. May need to set my DSLR up, nearly impossible to get the right focus and light balance on my phone. Measuring the gap all the way around it's spot on, a very slight bow upwards in the bottom center ~1/16 - 1/8"

·
Registered
28,745 Posts
Took several pictures from phone. May need to set my DSLR up, nearly impossible to get the right focus and light balance on my phone. Measuring the gap all the way around it's spot on, a very slight bow upwards in the bottom center ~1/16 - 1/8"

From what I can see in the image, it looks like the projector lens is set up very well with the screen. I would not change a thing.

·
Registered
18,116 Posts
Hey Craig,

This looks awesome. Can you PM me on how you did this please?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Send me an email ( [email protected] ) - easier to send you photos that way. A picture tells a thousand words, as they say!! :)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Well, I'll have to say, I just got my money's worth on the Home Theater I've recently set up. I just watched Gravity in 3D, and holy crap, was that a ride!!

The immersive nature of the cinemascope sized 3D picture, on a 160" diagonal scope screen, powered by a recently Autocal'd RS400 Projector, just drew me completely into the movie. And the immersive sound, Marantz SR7010 with a 7.1.4 setup, capped off by the 6' Subwoofer I bought from a fellow AVS-er (4 18" SI Drivers, powered by an iNuke 6000) making the room literally shake to draw me in even further, was beyond anything I've experienced in any commercial theater. It was positively frightening at so many points during the movie!

I've spent a lot of time and effort, not to mention money, over the last 6 months to set this all up, and man, is it worth it!!

Thanks to so many in the various forums here who assisted me through this process!

With all the questions and problems that occupy everybody's attention here, I thought I just had to throw this in there to provide a little perspective and balance!

Don

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have Marantz SR6010 between K8500 and RS400. So far, I am able to get 4K/60 4:4:4 signal with the AVR in the chain using the Celerity cable. I didn't try it directly from K8500 to RS400. I am using 3ft high speed HDMI cable between K8500 and the AVR.
Are you powering the transmitting end of the Celerity DFO HDMI cable with an USB to AC adapter or getting power from the HDMI out on your AVR?

2161 - 2180 of 5999 Posts