AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 6069 Posts

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
Reposting my post as we had a mild flame war for a couple pages and I'm curious if this has been seen by anyone else. :)

Curious if anyone else has seen this. It's pretty rare and I think it's just from too many format switches, but...

Basically, as we all know, this projector does have a pretty slow signal sync time (usually 6-10 seconds from my experience so far). In general, doesn't bother me because I'm loading something, then going. However, the one exception to this is the Reelwood demo disk the pjvader puts together. He encoded every clip in native format, which means most of them are different. I love using this disc to show off the theater to newcomers as it has some great clips to pick from. What I've noticed, is that on occasion as I'm moving through them or the like, occasionally the projector seems to get mad at seeing a new format coming (especially if it's still synching one) and goes ballistic, showing multi-colored vertical lines, sometimes static, sometimes with motion. So far, it seems the only way to correct it is to power-cycle the projector which of course means several minutes.

Has anyone seen anything similar? If so, found any tricks to get it back to normal without having to power down, wait for the fan cycle (and usually a bit more) and bring it back up?
Have you tried switch to a different source and then back?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Reposting my post as we had a mild flame war for a couple pages and I'm curious if this has been seen by anyone else. :)

Curious if anyone else has seen this. It's pretty rare and I think it's just from too many format switches, but...

Basically, as we all know, this projector does have a pretty slow signal sync time (usually 6-10 seconds from my experience so far). In general, doesn't bother me because I'm loading something, then going. However, the one exception to this is the Reelwood demo disk the pjvader puts together. He encoded every clip in native format, which means most of them are different. I love using this disc to show off the theater to newcomers as it has some great clips to pick from. What I've noticed, is that on occasion as I'm moving through them or the like, occasionally the projector seems to get mad at seeing a new format coming (especially if it's still synching one) and goes ballistic, showing multi-colored vertical lines, sometimes static, sometimes with motion. So far, it seems the only way to correct it is to power-cycle the projector which of course means several minutes.

Has anyone seen anything similar? If so, found any tricks to get it back to normal without having to power down, wait for the fan cycle (and usually a bit more) and bring it back up?
Yes, I saw the exact same thing when I first hooked up my Philips UHD blu ray player. The only thing I even tried was the power cycle and haven't seen it again since.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Yes there is a side by side setting you can use.
I pressed the button until side by side comes up but it just displayed it side by side, not overlayed it side by side, if that makes any sense. I guess its the video itself. Jungle Book 3D worked.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I pressed the button until side by side comes up but it just displayed it side by side, not overlayed it side by side, if that makes any sense. I guess its the video itself. Jungle Book 3D worked.
Sounds like a video encode issue. I typically backup my 3d as 1 to 1 ISO image with no issues ever playback with either jriver MC22 or powerdvd 15. I also usually make a movie only mkv whuch sonetimes results in issues.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
occasionally the projector seems to get mad at seeing a new format coming (especially if it's still synching one) and goes ballistic, showing multi-colored vertical lines, sometimes static, sometimes with motion. So far, it seems the only way to correct it is to power-cycle the projector which of course means several minutes.

I have seen something similar happen to me just the other day and it does not go away easy. I was switching between 1080p24 to 4K60Hz which my AVR upscaled to. The pj gave up and gave me something like a 800x600 view of a 1080 menu from the AVR. The steps I tried are manual so nothing automatic that you may desire in a demo. I switched the pj to HDMI 2 and turned my AVR off. I switched the AVR on and went back to HDMI 1 where it originally was. The menu came back to original res.

I now also incorporated Manni's rec of presetting the input, color levels to a specific setting other than auto. I believe it did help to reduce the time it took to sync.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Sounds like a video encode issue. I typically backup my 3d as 1 to 1 ISO image with no issues ever playback with either jriver MC22 or powerdvd 15. I also usually make a movie only mkv whuch sonetimes results in issues.
Yes thats the conclusion I came to as well.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Jvc x500 vs 550

Apologies if previously posted...I have an x500, considering upgrading to a x550?

How much better is the 4K pic with the 550 than on the 500? Can you quantify the percent improvement? Is the upgrade good value or only minimal value?

Thanks folks

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
General question/observation here:

I have the RS400, Screen Innovations 160" Solar White 1.3 Gain scope screen, have done JVC Autocal with Spyder 5 Pro. In general, the picture quality is spectacular (to my eyes anyway). The room is treated as much as wife will allow, but not a bat cave.

I have watched mostly action, sci-fi adventure type Blu-Rays: Star Trek, Iron Man, Oblivion, Gravity, Everest, etc. Some of the scenes are truly great, with superb color, black level, sharpness and detail, etc. But there are also many scenes, in most movies, which just look 'flat' - that is, poor black level, main characters with shadowed faces and bodies, poor focus and detail, muted colors, etc.

I am a semi-pro photographer, and it seems as if the lighting, focus, and post-processing just weren't executed properly for those scenes, rather than the poorer quality of those scenes coming from deficiencies in my gear and set-up.

I would have thought that these hugely expensive movies would have every single frame perfectly executed, so that the picture quality would be maxed out throughout. But that doesn't seem to be the case, which I find quite surprising and unexpected.

For example, in the first Star Trek movie (in the re-boot series, that is), toward the end, the older Spock is in the scene, and his face is grossly out of focus. In other scenes, movies, there are similar problems with exposure, dynamic range, etc.

I guess some of this may come from artistic intent, with somewhat 'murky' scenes there by design. Or some may arise simply from local conditions at the time of shooting, lack of attention to detail, or just the nature of the scene itself.

Are my observations and tentative conclusions accurate, in terms of the source material itself being the origin of these not too infrequent scenes with sub-optimal picture quality, or is it in fact deficiencies in my gear, calibration, room, etc.?

Any insight appreciated!

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
General question/observation here:

I have the RS400, Screen Innovations 160" Solar White 1.3 Gain scope screen, have done JVC Autocal with Spyder 5 Pro. In general, the picture quality is spectacular (to my eyes anyway). The room is treated as much as wife will allow, but not a bat cave.

I have watched mostly action, sci-fi adventure type Blu-Rays: Star Trek, Iron Man, Oblivion, Gravity, Everest, etc. Some of the scenes are truly great, with superb color, black level, sharpness and detail, etc. But there are also many scenes, in most movies, which just look 'flat' - that is, poor black level, main characters with shadowed faces and bodies, poor focus and detail, muted colors, etc.

I am a semi-pro photographer, and it seems as if the lighting, focus, and post-processing just weren't executed properly for those scenes, rather than the poorer quality of those scenes coming from deficiencies in my gear and set-up.

I would have thought that these hugely expensive movies would have every single frame perfectly executed, so that the picture quality would be maxed out throughout. But that doesn't seem to be the case, which I find quite surprising and unexpected.

For example, in the first Star Trek movie (in the re-boot series, that is), toward the end, the older Spock is in the scene, and his face is grossly out of focus. In other scenes, movies, there are similar problems with exposure, dynamic range, etc.

I guess some of this may come from artistic intent, with somewhat 'murky' scenes there by design. Or some may arise simply from local conditions at the time of shooting, lack of attention to detail, or just the nature of the scene itself.

Are my observations and tentative conclusions accurate, in terms of the source material itself being the origin of these not too infrequent scenes with sub-optimal picture quality, or is it in fact deficiencies in my gear, calibration, room, etc.?

Any insight appreciated!
Welcome to the world of high end video. Yep, as your equipment gets better, the more obvious, the errors and poor craftsmanship of a film stands out. Same goes for music, the more revealing your speakers are, the more poor recording vs good recordings stand out.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Welcome to the world of high end video. Yep, as your equipment gets better, the more obvious, the errors and poor craftsmanship of a film stands out. Same goes for music, the more revealing your speakers are, the more poor recording vs good recordings stand out.
Thanks for the reply Mike. Glad to be more confident that it's not me, my gear, calibration, settings, room, etc.

That will make it a lot easier to ignore those poorly filmed scenes, not having to worry that there's something wrong with my setup!

Still surprising that it's like that, given how many millions of dollars are spent making these movies.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Hey Mike, r u able to tell me if an upgrade from the x500 to the 550 is worth the investment as in "good bang for the buck"...

Other option is x500 with HDFury , install bt2020, and be w/o HDMI 2.0 and HDR...just looking for your opinion ...thanks kindly

·
Registered
89 Posts
As Mike stated earlier, adjustment is almost always required after pulling up a lens memory position (there is a dedicated adjustment button on the remote). This is true of 4 JVC projectors models I've tried and probably all of them.

I upgraded from a Panasonic AE7000 to a AE8000 to a JVC RS46 to a RS400. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Panasonic's lens memory is the best I've seen, hands down. Its electronic, which means pixel perfect switching every time. It also allows you to save electronic masking to the lens memory position.

Lens memory functionality is the only area I give the (aged) Panasonic projectors a clear advantage. Some will complain about the image not being perfectly center on lens and the possibility for lens aberrations but its nonsense; especially when the forum is mute on vertical lens light streaks with white text on every JVC I've seen, which is a MUCH bigger deal. If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at your 'D-ILA' logo on startup in a pitch black room.
Great. I'm just getting ready to drop coin on one of these and then read about light streaks.

Is this something that affects a large portion of the 550/400 lineup??

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
Hey Mike, r u able to tell me if an upgrade from the x500 to the 550 is worth the investment as in "good bang for the buck"...

Other option is x500 with HDFury , install bt2020, and be w/o HDMI 2.0 and HDR...just looking for your opinion ...thanks kindly
I would look at going from X500 to RS500/X750.

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
Great. I'm just getting ready to drop coin on one of these and then read about light streaks.

This is something that you usually only see when playing credits and often times can't see it from viewing distance. If you turn the brightness up real high, then it will stand out more.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts

I wouldn't let it affect your decision. I'd bet 100% of JVC projectors have this, only 10% of their owners have noticed and maybe 1% care (I seem to be the only one here :p). My 3 generation old RS46 did it and my RS400 still does, so obviously JVC and its customers didn't think it a big enough deal to correct.

While I'd still prefer it not exist, I will admit it is only visible with bright white text or logo (like a play/pause button) on a black background and its never affected my enjoyment of a movie (I've never seen it in any other condition).

I do have my handful of quibbles about JVC but the issues I have are common throughout JVC's entire lineup and seems to exist in all projectors they've manufactured (at least for the last several years). I'm pretty certain nobody talks about them because everybody has the same issues and theres nothing to be done about them unless JVC changes the way they build projectors but I think several of my issues would be easy and welcomed fixes.

My issues:

1) Manual position adjustment needed to get pixel perfect lens memory recall (only a concern for 2.35:1 screen owners).

2) Light streaking with white text/logo on black screen

3) Lens light leak, there is some light thrown out of the projected image. (barely noticeable in the new lineup but still present (only a concern for 2.35:1 screen owners).

4) I wish electronic masking was part of the lens memory save (only a concern for 2.35:1 screen owners).

5) I wish they'd use a quieter/different fan.

I would imagine that every projector made will have its drawbacks, but I'll tell you that I am still extremely happy with my RS400 and would encourage you to get one. I'm certain you'll be happy. Once I hit play on a movie, my issues are zero. :D

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I would look at going from X500 to RS500/X750.

Thanks Mike...is the improved contrast ratio the only difference between the x550 and x750? Anything else the 750 gets me over the 550? Thanks again

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
Thanks Mike...is the improved contrast ratio the only difference between the x550 and x750? Anything else the 750 gets me over the 550? Thanks again
Full (99%) DCI color space, 3 year warranty, THX mode, powered lens cover. The main thing is the 4 times higher native contrast.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
One of the big advantages of having high native contrast, you still get good contrast and black levels, even with it off. One of the reasons I went with the RS600, since I wanted the ability to have very high contrast, without using a dynamic iris.
so jealous you have the 600! honestly I'm going to wait for JVC to come out with a native 4k, imagine how amazing that projector will be .... :)

·
Registered
30,979 Posts
so jealous you have the 600! honestly I'm going to wait for JVC to come out with a native 4k, imagine how amazing that projector will be .... :)
JVC will be introducing a native 4K laser projector at CEDIA and IFA. Better have a large pocketbook. :)

2441 - 2460 of 6069 Posts