AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 6069 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
I Just got my RS400, I see that it was built I Thailand? Are all the JVC's built in Thailand including the more expensive models?

·
Registered
30,735 Posts
I Just got my RS400, I see that it was built I Thailand? Are all the JVC's built in Thailand including the more expensive models?
From RS40 (December 2010) forward, they have not been made in Japan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My RS40 has been good to me, but it's starting to be a problem. It seems like all the regular problems. Front IR board, Locking Up, the bulb has 1700 hours on it, etc. I might flip the curcit, but am concerned that no mater what I'm going to have to spend between $500n and $1,000. should I just bite the bullet and buy a referbished 5020UB for $1,000 and be done with it until the 4K is in my price range?

·
.NET Solution Architect
978 Posts
Just wondering from you guys that are using the rs400. Is anyone using a 150 in diagonal screen or bigger and is it possible to and still get a quality picture with the amount of lumens. I'm going to be using a diy screen with a center stage xd AT screen
To achieve 1700 lumens of 150 inch screen image would require your screen to have 1.2-1.3 gain, but your bulb will need to be set at high mode and iris fully opened, as you realize bulb will quite quickly will dim out, so ideally for 150 inch screen you are looking for 1.8-2.0 gain this will allow you to put bulb in low mode and iris fully opened so you can save some lifetime for the lamp.

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
Screen gain does not affect the lumen output of the projector.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Your correct, but we know what people mean when they talk about "converted lumens by gain" from Foot Lamberts, cd/m2, or even a single spot lux reading.

As we both know, technically you are measuring off the screen rather than ANSI Lumens when speaking about screen gain, but there are some Lumens measurements you can do from the screen (obviously not the ANSI lumen measurement), but in a separate case scenario in which you would really just be measuring foot lamberts back converted to Lumens after a gain if you considered the SCREEN as the Light Source instead of the projector.

It's fine to talk about "how many lumens" the equivalent would be measuring off the screen from gain, the reason it is ok is because there is a proper relationship between lumens from the projector and fL off the screen, even if the screen is boosting it from gain.

He could have further qualified it by calling it "equivalent converted lumens", but I think everyone knows what he meant...

·
.NET Solution Architect
978 Posts
It is affect on reflection and measurements of fL or cd/m2 will be different depending on screen gain, therefore people relate in order to have 1300 lumens you need this screen with such amount of gain. If that wouldn't affect, people wouldn't spend several thousands on big screen with gain 2.8 lol. So correctly to say - not affecting but affecting on your luminance perception from reflective surface of the screen.

·
.NET Solution Architect
978 Posts
I'll share my software, which is THX calculator and does all calculations, as it seems quite common, but many software are limited.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
My RS40 has been good to me, but it's starting to be a problem. It seems like all the regular problems. Front IR board, Locking Up, the bulb has 1700 hours on it, etc. I might flip the curcit, but am concerned that no mater what I'm going to have to spend between $500n and $1,000. should I just bite the bullet and buy a referbished 5020UB for $1,000 and be done with it until the 4K is in my price range?
All the answers to these types of questions are always subjective and it depends on your own personal preferences.

That is a really good price on a refurb Epson, not a bad thing to do. If it were me, I'd just go ahead and buy the JVC RS-400 instead of getting a go-between projector being the Epson.

I don't have the same fascination with 4k as many do, I agree it looks better, but the difference isn't always as great as the "show off content" would make us believe. I mean take the best looking 1080p show-off material out there, and when you compare that to normal 1080p material, the show off stuff still always looks better. Not everything will have that sizzling sharp look at 4k, a bit sharper sure. I guess it also depends how close you want to sit.

You can see 4k now, just take a few steps back from your screen, then you are simply seeing the same level of detail as if you were watching 4k (albeit with the screen appearing smaller since you took a few steps back).

·
Banned
2,424 Posts
It is affect on reflection and measurements of fL or cd/m2 will be different depending on screen gain, therefore people relate in order to have 1300 lumens you need this screen with such amount of gain. If that wouldn't affect, people wouldn't spend several thousands on big screen with gain 2.8 lol. So correctly to say - not affecting but affecting on your luminance perception from reflective surface of the screen.
Of course the screen gain will result in higher luminance perception, but 1700 lumens is 1700 lumens no matter what. Brightness is usually measured in fl or cd/m2 and screen gain will affect this number in positive and negative depending on gain, but the lumens of the projector remains the same.;)

·
.NET Solution Architect
978 Posts
Of course the screen gain will result in higher luminance perception, but 1700 lumens is 1700 lumens no matter what. Brightness is usually measured in fl or cd/m2 and screen gain will affect this number in positive and negative depending on gain, but the lumens of the projector remains the same.;)
I never said it would change ;) I just didn't want to confuse a person by other measurings like fL or cd/m2 or lux. Lumens are sable as per projector specs, however it directly depends on the bulb as well ;) so practically Lumens will drop as the bulb will dim, but to say it correctly from technical point of view, bulbs brightness drops (which measures in fL and cd/m2) lumens remain the same. But I'm pretty sure he got me what I've said and understood what he will need in order to achieve the result.

·
Registered
30,735 Posts
To achieve 1700 lumens of 150 inch screen image would require your screen to have 1.2-1.3 gain, but your bulb will need to be set at high mode and iris fully opened, as you realize bulb will quite quickly will dim out, so ideally for 150 inch screen you are looking for 1.8-2.0 gain this will allow you to put bulb in low mode and iris fully opened so you can save some lifetime for the lamp.
Short throw using a 1.3 gain screen will get him 24FL in low lamp. That will allow him to close the iris down quite a bit. You do not have to have a 1.8 to 2.0 screen to light up a 150" diagonal 16:9 screen. If he had a 2.0 gain screen and mounted at short throw, he would get 37FL in low lamp and 49 in high lamp. These are calibrated lumens also.

·
.NET Solution Architect
978 Posts
Short throw using a 1.3 gain screen will get him 24FL in low lamp. That will allow him to close the iris down quite a bit. You do not have to have a 1.8 to 2.0 screen to light up a 150" diagonal 16:9 screen. If he had a 2.0 gain screen and mounted at short throw, he would get 37FL in low lamp and 49 in high lamp. These are calibrated lumens also.
I don't argue on that, I personally prefer 19-20fL is more then enough, and see no reason throwing at max, as this projector is very bright.

·
Registered
30,735 Posts
I don't argue on that, I personally prefer 19-20fL is more then enough, and see no reason throwing at max, as this projector is very bright.
I was just showing max brightness that you could achieve with a 1.3 gain screen.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hi All

Got my new DLA-RS400U last week.

Had several occasions where the projector wouldn't startup properly: no light inside lens and two red lights on with orange flashing. I called JVC (was a Saturday). They said try a reset (disconnect power, press standby button once) then plug it back in. This worked the second time I did it, but had the same issue several times over next few days,

JVC called me this morning and said they have seen this one one other customer, but don't know what's causing it. The guy I spoke to said it seems the build is failing to spark. He also said the other user "solved" it by removing an reinserting the bulb. Mine's been OK for the last few days, but I have to notify them and try the bulb re-seat if it happens again.

Just a heads up in case you see the same. You should definitely notify JVC if you do

241 - 260 of 6069 Posts