AVS Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 5999 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Is it at the point now where with these settings, HDR UHD looks better than SDR UHD? Before it didn't seem like that was the case.
Yes. Though everything is in the eye of the beholder; there are some JVC owners (particularly the models up) who go so far as to insert an HDFury in the chain to strip HDR but keep WCG, because HDR requires a lot of lumens and lumens reduce contrast. This however is purely up to your tastes. As far as color goes, no HDR doesn't look "washed out" like it does out of the box once the updated settings are applied.

Wait, what do you mean by Autocal it ? I uploaded the BT2020 profile but I don't remember doing anything else to it. The Gamma D was already set to the JVC site's recommendations. Is there something else I should of done ?
By autocal I mean hooking up a compatible Spyder meter and running color, gamma, etc. calibration. See Manni's thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2246658-jvc-calibration-software-v6-2015-models-x9000-x7000-x5000-rs400-rs500-rs600.html and pay attention to post 9&10 for an updated process + HDR background. I just got done doing it myself.

You don't absolutely have to do it, you can adjust by eye with a good calibration disk to get most of the way there, but autocal will help correct gamma/color balance for your environment. It's not what a full ISF calibration with Calman, etc. would get you, but it's a nice step up from calibration disks. Takes some doing - I didn't get it right the first time. And you need a compatible meter. Worth it though IMHO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If there is a better forum for this let me know.

I am going to get the RS400 but keep my w1070 for gaming. I currently have a Denon X3200.

How should I set it up?

A) Should I make a project out of running a second hdmi through the basement ceiling to the JVC? My Denon has a HDMI monitor for ARC and another HDMI output monitor (no ARC). I'm assuming I could have two hdmi outs, one to each projector.

Or

B). Get an HDMI switch (much easier) but then will have a switch on the ceiling that I have to press (easy for me, not for the kids). Will a switch degrade the signal? Will there be issues with all the 4K HDR WCG stuff if a switch is introduced?

What would you do?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
That's what I'm looking at doing also. Keep my Benq W1070 and get either the JVC rs400 or Epson 5040ub.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
B). Get an HDMI switch (much easier) but then will have a switch on the ceiling that I have to press (easy for me, not for the kids). Will a switch degrade the signal? Will there be issues with all the 4K HDR WCG stuff if a switch is introduced?

What would you do?
You will need a splitter, not a switch.
I believe HDFury integral can also act as a splitter.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
You will need a splitter, not a switch.
I believe HDFury integral can also act as a splitter.
It does and works fine with the RS400 and a second display; I have the Integral.

Seconding getting RS400 and keeping the 1070. The 5040 isn't quite as low lag as the 1070 but it is still good for gaming, better than older Epsons, so one of those would be redundant. The JVC has a much better picture for movies/tv. I had a 5040 for a few days before exchanging it for the RS400.

If you want an all in one solution the 5040 is the better choice, but unless you really want e-shift it's not that huge an upgrade over the 1070. Since you already have the 1070 (and probably won't get more than a few hundred for it if you sell it) you are on to the better plan, assuming you can pull off two PJs in your space :)

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I've got one of the best Low Lag Epson projectors for gaming,
the 1080UB from 2007 with the PixelWorks video processor...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1068844-input-lag-various-projectors.html#post14735481

My newest Movie projector is the JVC-X750 (RS-500) so I'm happy to run both as needed,
The Yamaha RX-A3050 has two HDMI outs so switching is easily handled in the AVR.

I also have a Pioneer Kuro, but gets its HDMI feed from the HDTV cable box for video,
audio goes to the AVR by Digi-Optical for when I just want to watch TV.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does the HDFury add any additional lag to the video signal?

The JVC already has above average lag times for gaming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
I've got one of the best Low Lag Epson projectors for gaming,
the 1080UB from 2007 with the PixelWorks video processor...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1068844-input-lag-various-projectors.html#post14735481

My newest Movie projector is the JVC-X750 (RS-500) so I'm happy to run both as needed,
The Yamaha RX-A3050 has two HDMI outs so switching is easily handled in the AVR.

I also have a Pioneer Kuro, but gets its HDMI feed from the HDTV cable box for video,
audio goes to the AVR by Digi-Optical for when I just want to watch TV.
Which 3D glasses are you using? The official JVC ones or another brand such as Xpand/Samsung?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Any other good recommendations on a splitter? The Fury might be great but for $300? I just want a splitter that will do full pass through to two PJs. I'm still considering two HDMI outs from the receiver, just a Sheetrock headache.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sorry, I have no interest in 3D at all. Never have, never will.
and one of the main reasons nothing in my room was updated in 8 years.

Atmos and 4K/2.2HDCP HDMI 2.0a were my primary reasons for finally upgrading.

:)
Oh, alright. I was hoping someone could tell me which 3D glasses are compatible with the JVC and which ones work the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey so I have the x550r and in my PC a 980ti graphics card. I hook up my PC to try and watch 4k HDR video and in the NVIDIA Control panel I can only get 8bpc output at 4k?. The Projector says it supports 10 bit HDR, how do I get my PC to output 10bit?

·
Registered
84 Posts
So when are we going to get a "post-CEDIA price drop" announcement on these JVCs? I would have got one months ago but I'm still waiting. Mike hadn't heard anything yet as of Monday.:confused::confused:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Xpand and Panasonics are the two best options (what I've heard anyway).
Do they work with the JVC emitter? What are the pros and cons of RF and IR emitters? Which is preferred? (I don't know whether or not my screen retains polarization.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do they work with the JVC emitter? What are the pros and cons of RF and IR emitters? Which is preferred? (I don't know whether or not my screen retains polarization.)
You could break sync with IR if you move around a bit. RF is better as you won't lose sync. Xpand sells the glasses with an emitter that works with the JVC for $49.

http://Xpand EX105BT Active 3D Shutter Glasses and Bluetooth Emitter for Mitsubishi Televisions https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZW7SR2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_a2A4xbJCNKQNA

·
Banned
65 Posts
Out of the box HDR looks like crud (that pic) on the JVC. Input the settings they give here http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550r_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd.html

either manually or through autocal and it's a different story.
I'm the one who made that screenshot. The HDR picture is with the recommended setting but i didn't import the bt2020 color yet.
Also the 1080p picture is the 1080pBD upscaled to 2160p using MADVR nnedi3

·
Registered
426 Posts
You could break sync with IR if you move around a bit. RF is better as you won't lose sync. Xpand sells the glasses with an emitter that works with the JVC for $49.

http://Xpand EX105BT Active 3D Shutter Glasses and Bluetooth Emitter for Mitsubishi Televisions https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZW7SR2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_a2A4xbJCNKQNA
The Xpand seller doesn't ship overseas unfortunately. However, I can get the glasses on eBay, but not the emitter. Do the Xpand glasses work with the JVC emitter? I'm thinking of getting the Xpand cos they seem to be lighter and more comfy than the JVC glasses.

I'm the one who made that screenshot. The HDR picture is with the recommended setting but i didn't import the bt2020 color yet.
Also the 1080p picture is the 1080pBD upscaled to 2160p using MADVR nnedi3

Could you import the bt2020 color profile and take another set of pics?

2761 - 2780 of 5999 Posts