AVS Forum banner

3641 - 3660 of 6011 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Guys,

I just got my Oppo 203 setup last night. I've got it setup so it is in strip Metadata mode. The projector is showing the color space as Yuv and deep color is grayed out. The projector is set to the BT. 2020 profile.

I'm honestly not as up on video as audio, is this what I should be seeing?

·
Registered
557 Posts
BT2020 and Rec709 are Color Profiles, with corresponding color spaces: that is, the spectrum of available colors that can be displayed. Rec709 is the 'normal' one; BT2020 is the larger, or wider color space; hence the acronym WCG, for Wide Color Gamut. BT2020 provides access to a wider 'spectrum' of colors, and that is why it can potentially produce a more pleasing image.

HDR refers to High Dynamic Range, vs SDR, or Standard Dynamic Range. This is the range from the blackest blacks, to the whitest whites. As with the color space, having the wider range can produce a better picture. This is reasonably straightforward to implement on a TV, as it can be build specifically to accommodate this wider range. With Projectors, it is less straightforward, as the brightest brights are significantly more limited by the physical nature of the system than they are in a well-designed TV. So it is harder to 'squeeze' this broader range to what is available in a projector.

Further, with a Projector, you have a wide variety of different models, manufacturers, total brightness, contrast range it can produce (again, in a spectrum of black to white), screen sizes, screen reflectivity, distance from the projector to the screen, etc. This is a big part of why there are so many problems and posts dealing with getting a satisfactory HDR image on various projectors.

This is also the reason that many have decided that the resulting picture available with HDR in their projector is just not satisfactory. They they add the HDFury Integral (or have this capability built-in, as it is hoped will be finally implemented with the Oppo 203) to the chain. This provides the WCG of UHD Blu-rays, while removing the HDR component.

You can set up a User Profile for whatever combination of settings you want. For example, many of us have a 'regular' Blu-ray setting for watching conventional Blu-rays. This would use the Rec709 Color Profile, Low Lamp, Aperture setting of one's choice, Dynamic Iris setting of your choice, Gamma of choice (typically around 2.3 or 2.4, with Dark Level bumped up 2 or 3 notches), and whatever Brightness/Contrast/Color settings indicated through use of a calibration disc such as the Disney WOW.

Another User Slot can be configured for HDR: BT2020 Color Profile, High Lamp (although some choose Low Lamp), Gamma D (with sub-settings as recommended by JVC, starting points being Picture Tone +12, Dark Level +5, Bright Level +4), Aperture is by default wide open, with no Dynamic Iris available (a JVC restriction), and Brightness/Contrast/Color as needed. The Disney WOW disc isn't designed for HDR, and many are using patterns produced by Ray Masciola (I'm not familiar with exactly how these would be used) to make these adjustments.

Hopefully this will give you the broader context going in with this stuff. It can be confusing!!

And if I've mis-spoken on any issues, hopefully some more experienced posters will correct me (I'm still very much a newb here, with less than 1 year's experience).
Thanks a million. Wasn't aware of the possibility of stripping out HDR. Will give that a hot on my Oppo

·
Registered
557 Posts
Can anyone let me know which specific cables they used, where they purchased them and how much they cost for the two cables above that are needed to update the firmware? I know the documentation specifies that they tested with Tripp Lite Keyspan (model#: USA-19HS) & Staples USB-Serial Adapter (Item: 837560)

Thanks.
I used a USB to Serial from best buy and a startech null modem. Generally when I buy serial cables I look for "all pins wired" in case handshaking is used

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am about to buy a RS400 and it will be my first projector. I have a question about the slow sync/switching speed on this unit.

My media is all ripped to a server and I watch it through Kodi. I will almost never switch inputs on the projector. So if I am at the Kodi gui and click to play a movie will it just start or will the projector go into this sync issue each time?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
it will sync every time IF you turn on the setting that gives you 23.9xx fps (forget the actual name of it). i turned it off. no issues at all and no sync delay

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hey all,
Long time member who has just been enjoying his setup for the last few years.
Well, that's all about to change, as I just purchased a 4K TV, the JVC RS400 and a new Oppo 203 BDP

I've spent the last week reading this entire thread. Man, I forgot how much learning and work goes into this home theater stuff.
Today I fired everything up and already have a bunch of issues & questions for you knowledgeable members.
I'll start with just the basics.
* I had a hard time getting a picture from the Oppo to the RS400 using a Blue Jean 40' cable. I tried a 50' Monoprice Cabernet cable too with no luck. When I hooked either of these up to my DirecTV receiver, picture came right through (and it looked fantastic!) I finally figured out that I had to change the settings in the projector under HDMI2 EDID to "B" and plug into HDMI 2. This was the only way I could get any picture from the Oppo. Is there a reason for this?

* I ordered the new NVidia Shield TV that I want to use for Streaming. Can I pass this through my Oppo and still see 4K HDR content?

* I also ordered the HD Fury Inegral but I'm reading that, with the Oppo 203, I may not need it. Is this correct? Anyone know what settings I need to change in the Oppo to block the HDCP? I downloaded the manual to the HD Fury and it looks pretty complicated. Big learning curve. Hopefully I won't need it.

In the next few days I'm going to update the software and install the BT2020 profile. Anything else I'm missing?

Thank in advance for any suggestions!!!
I use 75' key digital pro cable. no problems with 4K.

Could only get 4K on EDID A

Why do you to block HDCP. You have a new TC which should support HDCP 2.2 and the Rs400 does. The oppo has 2nd HDMI for audio if it's cos your receiver doesn't support HDCP. I use it, works great

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Does anyone have photos of their unit upscaling regular blu ray 1080p to 4k? I would assume this method would result in rec 709, am I correct?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I use 75' key digital pro cable. no problems with 4K.
Could only get 4K on EDID A
Why do you to block HDCP. You have a new TC which should support HDCP 2.2 and the Rs400 does. The oppo has 2nd HDMI for audio if it's cos your receiver doesn't support HDCP. I use it, works great
I'm using an older Anthem D2 for processing so I'll go directly to projector and send audio only to Anthem.
From what I've read, the reason people strip the HDCP is so that they do not have to use the projector in high lamp mode. I think it gives more freedom to tweak the settings. I haven't gotten this far yet but that's just what I'm reading. I'm going to be playing with this all weekend so I should learn a little more then.

I've also got to figure out how I'm going to send the BluRay, DirecTV and the Nvidia streaming all to the projector. I have an HDMI splitter for DirecTV but need to figure out how to split BluRay and Nvidia and still maintain 4K and HDR.

·
Vendor
27,420 Posts
With the new models coming out, there hasn't been a better time to buy an RS400. It's like cars - buying last years model at a good discount !Timing is everything in life. :)
Except when big changes where made, then you have to think about the new models. Who would want a left over 2013 Corvette with the 2014 model was changed just a little, LOL. Then we can go into the 2013 Z06 compared to the 2015. :eek: For the gamers I am sure they are thinking about the 2017 JVC models, wondering .....

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
Except when big changes where made, then you have to think about the new models. Who would want a left over 2013 Corvette with the 2014 model was changed just a little, LOL. Then we can go into the 2013 Z06 compared to the 2015. :eek: For the gamers I am sure they are thinking about the 2017 JVC models, wondering .....
True, but if you aren't a gamer, not much to gain from the new models. Good that JVC did think about gamers going forward though.

·
Registered
844 Posts
For people out there that need a long run HDMI 4k/60p connection from their Samsung 4k player to their JVC RS400/500/600 projectors here is alternative. I have tried numerous HDMI cables to pass a 4k/60p signal from my Samsung 4k UHD player to my RS400 projector which is a 35 ft run - I needed a cable that would pass a 4k/60p signal so the Menu would come up when I started my Samsung player. I tried the Monoprice Cabernet and I just tried the Monoprice LUXE and it will pass a 4k/24p signal but not a 4k/60p - I guess the Samsung player is just not sending out a strong enough HDMI signal for those cables to work. So before I spent $300+ for a 35 ft Fiber optic HDMI cable I thought I would try a 35 ft COMBO version from Monoprice since I already had a credit for the returns. So I tried the 20 ft and 15 ft Monoprice Certified Premium HDMI cable - part # 15431 & 15430 and the new Monoprice Blackbird 4k Pro Repeater Extender # 15650 (no power needed) and it worked. For the 1st time when I started up the Samsung 4k player the Menu came up at 4k/60p . So I know this is not the best alternative but for now this will work until they improve their long run cables .
They also have a "LUXE" cable that's CL3 rated. It's available in longer runs, tested to pass full 18gbps up to 50 feet, but not "Certified Premium". Of course, the shorter you can go, the better the likely result. I'm probably going to get this one...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is there anyone who lives withing driving distance to Wetumpka Alabama 36093 that could drive here and do the firmware update and the BT2020 Calibration Software Update?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ok I am going to ask a dumb question here. I was looking at the download for the calibration software. Is this the BT2020 file you guys are talking about? If so do I need someone with a light meter or do I just download the file to my jvc 400 and select bt2020 in the gamma section drop box? If I need a light meter Ill just pass.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You would need a Spyder 5 & JVC software to use the auto calibration routine on the RS-400...

How old is your projector? My 400 is two months old and it came with the BT2020 profile already loaded as well as the current version of firmware. If you don't have it then you need the JVC calibration software to load the BT2020 file to your unit and if that is all you are going to do, then the Spyder is not needed. To play it safe, I would download the BT2020 file from JVC.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Ok I am going to ask a dumb question here. I was looking at the download for the calibration software. Is this the BT2020 file you guys are talking about? If so do I need someone with a light meter or do I just download the file to my jvc 400 and select bt2020 in the gamma section drop box? If I need a light meter Ill just pass.
Two totally different things. You do upload the BT.2020 profile through the same JVC software that does the auto calibration, however if all you're doing is uploading the BT. 2020 you're not going to need a light meter.

With that being said, one of the great features of the JVC that fly's under the radar for a lot of people is the usefulness of the auto-calibration features. The Spyder 5 is a great way to make sure you're getting the maximum potential out of your projector.

·
Registered
29,660 Posts
Two totally different things. You do upload the BT.2020 profile through the same JVC software that does the auto calibration, however if all you're doing is uploading the BT. 2020 you're not going to need a light meter.

With that being said, one of the great features of the JVC that fly's under the radar for a lot of people is the usefulness of the auto-calibration features. The Spyder 5 is a great way to make sure you're getting the maximum potential out of your projector.
Only problem is, you need a fairly accurate Spyder 5 meter and you have no way of knowing that, unless you get the meter profiled by someone that has a good meter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
can someone who done the BT20202 file please give me a call 304-421-5777 . A friend and I just done the firmware update. Now I want the BT2020 file. I would like if someone could call us to explain a few things before we screw this thing up. Thanks in advance.

3641 - 3660 of 6011 Posts