AVS Forum banner

3701 - 3720 of 6011 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Ix, got everything up and going with HD Fury. Downloaded the app and set the Integral to 11 like you suggested (first I went back to the Oppo and turned off the HDR stripping). That app is pretty sweet. There's a bunch of settings on there that I didn't understand but I was able to change the Gamma at will even while sending 4K, so it looks like it's working. I set it to Gamma A and started tweaking the settings. I have the lamp on low and its still really bright on my 1.3 gain screen. Had to turn the brightness way down. I gotta say, I got it looking pretty nice. This thing is probably awesome if professionally calibrated.

Quick question: is the integral also a splitter? I'm assuming the answer is yes but not sure how I'd pass audio to my AV receiver if I hook my Nvidia Shield to this thing.
Thanks for your help!
Yeah, stripping HDR metadata is a little weird, but it works well for this PJ.

As Mike says above, you can't split the audio off like you are thinking. I'm assuming you have a non-HDCP 2.2 AVR. I don't know of an easy way to hook two or more HDCP 2.2 devices up like that and still route audio to a non HDCP AVR. At least none that would be less complicated or cheaper than just getting a new AVR.

I don't believe a source device plugged in to the Oppo's HDMI input will also send audio out of the Oppo's audio-only HDMI output but you could always try.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi,

I've just got my Panasonic UB700 UHD player and wanted my X5000 to display proper bt2020 WCG with HDR.
After input the setting suggested by Javs (for RS500 I think), the color look over saturated on Red & Green.
My unit had been calibrated by a professional when it was 120 hours, it's now 315 hours.
I am using Manni01's Rec2020 colour profile with gamma D.
Can I just copy those setting done my calibrator for the SDR Rec709 to the 4k HDR setting with Gamma D and bt2020 profile?

Reactions: SimpleTheater

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
Hi,

I've just got my Panasonic UB700 UHD player and wanted my X5000 to display proper bt2020 WCG with HDR.
After input the setting suggested by Javs (for RS500 I think), the color look over saturated on Red & Green.
My unit had been calibrated by a professional when it was 120 hours, it's now 315 hours.
I am using Manni01's Rec2020 colour profile with gamma D.
Can I just copy those setting done my calibrator for the SDR Rec709 to the 4k HDR setting with Gamma D and bt2020 profile?
No you cant copy calibration info from Rec709 to Rec2020, it doesnt work that way. You calibration would not have drifted much in that time, even if it did the colour saturations would hardly move much if at all, gamma would be what probably drifts a little.

In what sense does it look over-saturated? Are you 100% sure that your player is actually outputting Rec2020 correctly and HDR? It will definitely look oversaturated if you are looking at Rec709 material then engage the BT2020 profile when that is not the actual colour space.

HDR WCG does indeed have a lot more saturation, perhaps you are not used to its look?

Do people look sunburned or ?

Also which settings exactly of mine are you using? They should be compatible with the X5000 too, I just want to check what you are doing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
No you cant copy calibration info from Rec709 to Rec2020, it doesnt work that way. You calibration would not have drifted much in that time, even if it did the colour saturations would hardly move much if at all, gamma would be what probably drifts a little.

In what sense does it look over-saturated? Are you 100% sure that your player is actually outputting Rec2020 correctly and HDR? It will definitely look oversaturated if you are looking at Rec709 material then engage the BT2020 profile when that is not the actual colour space.

HDR WCG does indeed have a lot more saturation, perhaps you are not used to its look?

Do people look sunburned or ?

Also which settings exactly of mine are you using? They should be compatible with the X5000 too, I just want to check what you are doing.
this is how it's look like:-

Also, I have set the UB700 Deeep Color to Automatic but the X5000 info just grey out the Deep Color...any problem there?

·
Registered
8,810 Posts
Seems right, your screen config that is... Does seem a bit saturated, not sure if it might be just how HDR looks though, HDR colours are way more saturated than SDR, A LOT more. Might be you are not used to it?

Here is how that shot looks on the bluray by the way... Doesnt mean the UHD WCG version should look the same at all though.

I am eerily good at taking screen-grabs lol

·
Registered
420 Posts
too Bright?

Planning on getting the rs400 for a 100" screen from ten feet away distance. Will this be blindingly bright or can it be OK bringing down the iris?

Thanks

·
Registered
29,697 Posts
Planning on getting the rs400 for a 100" screen from ten feet away distance. Will this be blindingly bright or can it be OK bringing down the iris?

Thanks
First, you need 10'-2" minimum for a 100" screen. Second what screen are you using? Even a 1.0 gain screen is going to be very bright, but depending on your room and screen, may not be too bright. Also after a couple hundred hours on the lamp, will help. It will have nice brightness for 3D and 4K with HDR. Great time to buy a 400 with them on closeout pricing. If I can help you, shoot me an email.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Yeah, stripping HDR metadata is a little weird, but it works well for this PJ.
As Mike says above, you can't split the audio off like you are thinking. I'm assuming you have a non-HDCP 2.2 AVR. I don't know of an easy way to hook two or more HDCP 2.2 devices up like that and still route audio to a non HDCP AVR. At least none that would be less complicated or cheaper than just getting a new AVR.
I don't believe a source device plugged in to the Oppo's HDMI input will also send audio out of the Oppo's audio-only HDMI output but you could always try.
Just got my Nvidia today so I'll play around with using the Integral as a splitter later tonight.

I posted this on both the Oppo thread and the Anthem thread but I may as well ask here too.
I'm having problems with the audio from my Oppo to my non-2.2 AVR (Anthem Statement D2). The only way I can get audio is through the toslink optical cable.
Even removing the Integral from the line doesn't help. Any idea why this may be happening?

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Sorry Doright, I have an Oppo 103D,
but does your Oppo have tow HDMI outs, one for audio? How is the Oppo enabled? Bitstream or PCM, it seems that you should be able to get audio from your Oppo via HDMI. I have a Samsung K8500 and have the HDMI cable to my projector, and the second HDMI(audio) out to my Marantz SR7008 and get sound via HDMI. Just a thought.

·
Registered
420 Posts
because of space constraints , if i upgrade to rs400 from epson 5025 - i will have to move from 100" Screen down to 92. upgrade but lose screen size? i could use an opinion or 2....

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Sorry Doright, I have an Oppo 103D,
but does your Oppo have tow HDMI outs, one for audio? How is the Oppo enabled? Bitstream or PCM, it seems that you should be able to get audio from your Oppo via HDMI. I have a Samsung K8500 and have the HDMI cable to my projector, and the second HDMI(audio) out to my Marantz SR7008 and get sound via HDMI. Just a thought.
Yes, two HDMI outs, just like the 103. I've tried bitstream and LPCM. Also tried a bunch of settings on the Anthem with no luck. Hopefully someone on the Anthem thread will know what's going on.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,697 Posts
because of space constraints , if i upgrade to rs400 from epson 5025 - i will have to move from 100" Screen down to 92. upgrade but lose screen size? i could use an opinion or 2....
Option 2: Use first surface mirror and go larger than 100" if wanted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Regarding sync times, I understand if I change the hz from sat 60 to 24 it will sync and take around 20 seconds, how about in these other circumstances:

When you first turn the unit on does it take that same amount of time to sync, assuming the source is the same as it was last time?

How about if you are outputting to two screens from a PC and you change it to output to one? (I usually have my pc monitor cloned with TV and when I use the PC from the TV I turn the cloning off as it can cause issues)

If I launch a game from PC will it then re-sync and take that 20 seconds? (A number of games when launched will reconnect with the screen when launching)

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
Question regarding a PS4 pro. Does anyone have one?

I have a Denon x5200 that does not support the newest hdmi I believe . Since this is really only upscaled 4K will my Denon still pass it through?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have spent the last couple of days setting up my RS400 and although I'm generally very happy, there are a few things I've been a little disappointed with. I'm bringing them up here to see if this is something I'm doing wrong or if this is just a limitation with any projector at this price point.

1. During scenes with light colors the picture seems a little dirty. If I look at someone wearing a white shirt it looks grainy. My wife described it as cloudy and not very sharp. If I watch the same movie in 4k it mostly disappears but is still slightly visible.

2. I can't seem to find a way to map lens memory to resolution. This probably isn't available at this price level but I just wanted to check. It's a little irritating having to switch between memory settings when I go from a menu to the movie itself.

3. The fan is very audible on low lamp and very noisy on high. I can't imagine anyone watching a movie with lamp set to high.

SETUP
Oppo UDP 203
hdmi directly to projector (I also had one going from my receiver but it doesn't seem to work)
Completely dark room
Settings: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1434826-projector-mini-shootout-thread-407.html#post39521362

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the info in this thread. As much as I love my Sony the close out pricing from Mike Garrett was too much to pass up so I'll be seeing how the other half lives when my new RS400 arrives. Please gawd let me be happy with the motion performance! It's haunted me in the past when I've strayed away from Sony Motionflow but hopefully this time will be different!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just tried the 35 ft LUXE HDMI cable and it would not pass the 4k/60p for the MENU of the Samsung UHD 8500 to my RS 400 projector - It must be the signal is not strong enough coming out of the Samsung player ? Has anybody with this COMBO Samsung/JVC had the Monoprice LUXE HDMI cable work so they can see the Menu on the Samsung 8500 when it starts up?

I had connection problems with my RS400 from the time I hooked it up. The cable needed to be at least 40' long to reach my equipment. I tried numerous different hdmi cables with no success. I finally purchased the DTECH Ultra Slim fiber optic hdmi cable (50'...purchased from Amazon for $170). It works PERFECTLY. A bit expensive yes, but it also can be run behind walls with no interference problems. Highly recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
2. I can't seem to find a way to map lens memory to resolution. This probably isn't available at this price level but I just wanted to check. It's a little irritating having to switch between memory settings when I go from a menu to the movie itself.

3. The fan is very audible on low lamp and very noisy on high. I can't imagine anyone watching a movie with lamp set to high.
Regarding number two...Are you using zoom method to display wide screen content? If so I believe you're technically asking it to detect aspect ratio not resolution. It seems like only high end video processors do that.

Number three is interesting. Reviews say it's very quiet. I guess I'll find out. It will be mounted three feet above my head.

·
Registered
445 Posts
They also have a "LUXE" cable that's CL3 rated. It's available in longer runs, tested to pass full 18gbps up to 50 feet, but not "Certified Premium". Of course, the shorter you can go, the better the likely result. I'm probably going to get this one...
I just tried the 35 ft LUXE HDMI cable and it would not pass the 4k/60p for the MENU of the Samsung UHD 8500 to my RS 400 projector - It must be the signal is not strong enough coming out of the Samsung player ? Has anybody with this COMBO Samsung/JVC had the Monoprice LUXE HDMI cable work so they can see the Menu on the Samsung 8500 when it starts up?

I have 2 25ft runs. I planned on running 1 from the reciever and 1 from the opportunity. 1 of them passes a signal and the other doesn't. I wonder if they just have a lot of faulty cables

·
Registered
445 Posts

Regarding number two...Are you using zoom method to display wide screen content? If so I believe you're technically asking it to detect aspect ratio not resolution. It seems like only high end video processors do that.

Number three is interesting. Reviews say it's very quiet. I guess I'll find out. It will be mounted three feet above my head.
Yes sorry. You're right. I meant aspect ratio

3701 - 3720 of 6011 Posts