AVS Forum banner

3721 - 3740 of 6004 Posts

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Yes sorry. You're right. I meant aspect ratio
No worries. I'd love that feature myself. :)

I have an older Lumagen video processor. It auto detects input resolution and uses the output settings I set for that resolution. But only the newer premium models detect aspect ratio. I suppose it's harder for the unit to identify. A 1080p/24 signal could be 1.85:1, 2.40:1 or 2.35:1. With the Lumagen I press a button and it adjusts the scaling for the aspect ratio I identify. Much faster than waiting for a motorized lens of course.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I don't believe a source device plugged in to the Oppo's HDMI input will also send audio out of the Oppo's audio-only HDMI output but you could always try.
I've run my FiOS box through the HDMI in on my 203,with HDMI1 to the 400, and Hdmi2(Audio only) to my Denon 988(old-2808), and it works fine except for Sync issues that Oppo is aware of.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I just tried the 35 ft LUXE HDMI cable and it would not pass the 4k/60p for the MENU of the Samsung UHD 8500 to my RS 400 projector - It must be the signal is not strong enough coming out of the Samsung player ? Has anybody with this COMBO Samsung/JVC had the Monoprice LUXE HDMI cable work so they can see the Menu on the Samsung 8500 when it starts up?
I'm sure you're not as stupid as me but my cable failed because I didn't realize it was one directional. I'm still having issues with the time it takes for the picture to be displayed but I'm not sure it's a fault with the cable.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I purchased an X550 RB with updated firmware and extremely low hours from a forum member on Friday and brought it home to replace my X35.

For viewing HD cable, I can get a pretty decent picture from cinema but other picture settings are too dark or just un-pleasant to view. I used natural on my X35.

I'm not at 4K yet for my bluray (Oppo 103) or processor (Emotiva XMC-1) and connect to the projector with a 25' Monoprice Redmere cable through a Darbee DVP 5000S.

The X35 was extremely intuitive to use but I'm feeling a little lost with the X550.

If I perform a factory reset through the service menu, will I risk losing the firmware update?

Any other suggestions?

I realize that the HDMI cable may be an issue when running 4K, but how about 1080P?

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
I purchased an X550 RB with updated firmware and extremely low hours from a forum member on Friday and brought it home to replace my X35.

For viewing HD cable, I can get a pretty decent picture from cinema but other picture settings are too dark or just un-pleasant to view. I used natural on my X35.

I'm not at 4K yet for my bluray (Oppo 103) or processor (Emotiva XMC-1) and connect to the projector with a 25' Monoprice Redmere cable through a Darbee DVP 5000S.

The X35 was extremely intuitive to use but I'm feeling a little lost with the X550.

If I perform a factory reset through the service menu, will I risk losing the firmware update?

Any other suggestions?

I realize that the HDMI cable may be an issue when running 4K, but how about 1080P?
Could you not just update the firmware again afterwards?

·
Registered
18,164 Posts

Any other suggestions?

Send me an email for some settings - Blu Rays should not be dark.

·
Registered
28,840 Posts
Bought it at monoprice few years ago product # 3990, 25ft

Saw an article on CNET talking about Hdmi cables , saying most high speed cable will do fine ?
Going by that article will just cause you problems. I have not read it, but it sounds like they are going off the specs, not actual testing. Read these two articles.
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/uhd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-let-battle-begin#yVizjB7pooHUQFvz.97
http://www.soundandvision.com/content/uhd-blu-ray-vs-hdmi-%E2%80%93-pt-2-which-cables-can-actually-pass-hdmi-20#HepJR6KqhEDLtTWr.97

·
Registered
112 Posts

Any other suggestions?

Great news...

After consulting with Craig here on the Forum, the local JVC dealer and speaking with the tech rep at JVC, a reset on each of the individual picture modes returned the JVC to the correct settings and now everything looks as it should. Now, if my new 115" screen would arrive...

Here are the new questions that I need to research... should I keep the Darbee out of the chain, should I pay for professional calibration and should I upgrade my Oppo from the 103 to the 203?

I guess if I do, I'll need a new 20' HDMI cable as my current 25'Redmere from Monoprice will be insufficient for the 4K signal, so I'm reading.

Also, not sure if my Emotiva XMC-1 will pass the 4K signal.

Oh well, more fun and games!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great news...

After consulting with Craig here on the Forum, the local JVC dealer and speaking with the tech rep at JVC, a reset on each of the individual picture modes returned the JVC to the correct settings and now everything looks as it should. Now, if my new 115" screen would arrive...

Here are the new questions that I need to research... should I keep the Darbee out of the chain, should I pay for professional calibration and should I upgrade my Oppo from the 103 to the 203?

I guess if I do, I'll need a new 20' HDMI cable as my current 25'Redmere from Monoprice will be insufficient for the 4K signal, so I'm reading.

I own an XMC-1 as well. I have not yet upgraded the HDMI board to 2.0 (The one Emotiva is offering right now does not support HDR and only converts one hdmi port to 2.0). Emotive will offer a board which includes all HDMI ports as well as HDR in the coming months.

My RS400 requires a cable which is at least 30' long. I tried numerous cables with no success. I finally bought a DTECH fiber optic HDMI cable from Amazon. It works perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,164 Posts
Great news...

Or, you could run a new HDMI cable to the 2nd HDMI input directly from a new 4K Blu Ray player ( of your choice ) and put the Darbee on the other existing HDMI cable for 1080p sources ( through your Emotiva ), since we will be watching 1080p for many years to come. And keep the 103 for now ( provided you have the rack space ).

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
OK this is very frustrating

Well I brought home a new Samsung ubd-8500 player tonight. After attaching it through my Yamaha RX-A850 receiver and viewing it on my JVC DLA-X550, the startup menu came right up and I was able to configure everything. The JVC showed it was viewing 2160p, and everything was fine.

Well I then switched sources to my Oppo Blu-ray player (which then reset the JVC to 1080p) and everything was still fine.

However, when I switched back to the Samsung player the JVC displays a dark screen (not blue), no signal at all. In fact, it totally locks up the JVC. Not even the menu button works. If I turn off the Samsung, the JVC "blue screen" returns and all of the other controls now work. I even tested this by connecting the HDMI output of the Samsung directly into the JVC (thinking that maybe the Yamaha was at fault). Still no dice.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

** Update #1 ** When I did a hard reset of the player I was able to return to the setup menu. Playback of BluRay was excellent. However, depending on what I'm watching on NetFlix certain menu operations leaves the player as unwatchable via the JVC. I'll experiment more tomorrow.

** Update #2 ** At this it seems that certain operations on the Samsung (exiting out of Netflix for example) locks up the JVC sometimes. Today or tomorrow I will be installing a new Marantz SR7011 receiver that has full 4K up-conversion. I'll if perhaps turning this feature on might stabilize the input signal to the JVC. I do know that I do not see this problem on my LG TV. It might blank out for a few seconds while re-syncing but it always has come back on so far...

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Newb question :

Is there a big advantage using "E-shift" feature with 1080 P content ?,..or it it mostly for 4K content ?
I think you'll get different answers from different people. I tried it out both ways, and ended up leaning toward the non eShift image being slightly preferable to having the JVC upscale it. But it wasn't a clear-cut difference, so I understand why others end up with a different decision.

I think you'll be happy either way!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think you'll get different answers from different people. I tried it out both ways, and ended up leaning toward the non eShift image being slightly preferable to having the JVC upscale it. But it wasn't a clear-cut difference, so I understand why others end up with a different decision.

I think you'll be happy either way!
Thank you DLC,... and did you try E-shift ON/OFF with 4K source ?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Thank you DLC,... and did you try E-shift ON/OFF with 4K source ?
If the source is 4K, then eShift is on by default. You can't turn it off. That's how the JVC displays 4K material. You can only turn it on or off with non-4K sources.

Reactions: Dandlj and randyc1

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thoughts on focus issue with RS-400

Hope to get some advice. Just bought RS-400 from AV Science. I am having focus issues. Turned off eShift and focused projector after 40 mins of warm up. What I am getting is if I focus center than right 1/3 and central 1/3 are in focus but left 1/3 is not in focus. if I focus left 1/3 then central and right are out of focus. I have tried resetting lens via menu but issue persists. Appreciate thoughts? I have been trying to get a hold of JVC but they were closed 6:40pm EST while their normal hours claimed 9am-9pm.
Thanks.

3721 - 3740 of 6004 Posts