AVS Forum banner

3761 - 3780 of 6011 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
im curious as to how this turns out for you. I was looking to get the Marantz SR7011 and was curious how it would interact with the JVC DLA-X550.
Well I should know the answer by early next week. Also, I watched a few things tonight on the Samsung (Netflix streaming) and the JVC worked just fine with it. Strange...

Reactions: makaman

·
Registered
439 Posts
No signal at all from the Oppo 203 menu or the Sammy 8500 menu at start up...I believe they are sending a 17.8 Gbps signal and my 35' Monoprice Cabernet HDMI cable doesn't work. It works fine on a 4K24 4:4:4 10 bit signal or 11.1 Gbps. The Oppo allows me to set the player to 4K24 4:4:4 10 bit output and I will live with it until Monoprice sells a 17.8 solution and then I will ask for a return...
Hmmm. I am sending from my xbox 1 s and don't see any issues, let me tinker to see I an can reproduce the issue you are having.

Reactions: laugsbach

·
Registered
592 Posts
I recently purchased a RS400 from AVScience (my first projector) and just set it up and did a test run and I am a tiny bit disappointed in the sharpness of the image. Like I said, this is my first projector so I am assuming my mind is just stuck on the image quality I am used to with my 61" plasma. I knew going in there had to be some loss in IQ going with such a large screen (126") but I didn't know what to expect. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible, but I am surprised how poor some Blu-Rays look (and DVDs can look really bad). The good ones like Avatar or Life of Pi look good but don't wow you with their sharpness. I am running with 4K shift enabled.

My question is - Do UHD Blu-Rays look noticeably sharper and more detailed on this projector? I do not have a UHD player and have not seen any 4K material on this projector. All my media is ripped to my server and I don't relish the thought of going back to playing physical media with a standalone player, but if there is a definite improvement then I will do it for sure. I am concerned about things I've read about HDMI cable incompatibilities and HDR looking too dim. At this time I am not concerned with HDR. Just looking for the sharpest picture.

I would just like some feedback before I buy a player.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I recently purchased a RS400 from AVScience (my first projector) and just set it up and did a test run and I am a tiny bit disappointed in the sharpness of the image. Like I said, this is my first projector so I am assuming my mind is just stuck on the image quality I am used to with my 61" plasma. I knew going in there had to be some loss in IQ going with such a large screen (126") but I didn't know what to expect. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible, but I am surprised how poor some Blu-Rays look (and DVDs can look really bad). The good ones like Avatar or Life of Pi look good but don't wow you with their sharpness. I am running with 4K shift enabled.

My question is - Do UHD Blu-Rays look noticeably sharper and more detailed on this projector? I do not have a UHD player and have not seen any 4K material on this projector. All my media is ripped to my server and I don't relish the thought of going back to playing physical media with a standalone player, but if there is a definite improvement then I will do it for sure. I am concerned about things I've read about HDMI cable incompatibilities and HDR looking too dim. At this time I am not concerned with HDR. Just looking for the sharpest picture.

I have the RS400, a 160" scope Screen Innovations Screen, Gain 1.3, and find it incredibly sharp. And I have a VT60 series 65" Panasonic Plasma as well, so am used to a very good, sharp image.

If you're not seeing a sharp image, there has to be something not set up or configured properly. You don't mention what screen you're using, but that can have an impact as well.

If I were you, I'd get in touch with whoever you bought it from at AVS, and I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you figure out where the problem is. I am just blown away by the image I'm getting, including sharpness. I'm playing straight from the Blu-ray, with an ordinary Sony BDPS5500. You indicate you're playing from your server - this is another possible source of issues, depending on how they were ripped, etc. Again, the AVS guys should be able to help.

At this point, I'm playing Blu-rays with eShift off. It didn't seem to be adding anything in my initial observations, although I may try it out again, now that I've had the system for several months.

I recently added a Philips BDP7501 UHD BD Player. I also have a Roku Premiere+ to stream 4k content. The 4K resolution does add some detail, but to my eyes, it's not a night and day difference. That's how good regular Blu-ray looks.

So I would trouble-shoot your current setup before going the UHD route. Something's rotten in Denmark!

Hope this helps.

Don

·
Registered
317 Posts

Screen? Seating distance? Ambient light?

Ambient light won't hurt sharpness but without a dark room with dark walls etc plasmas will have a contrast advantage.

Also have you tested focus and convergence using the built in tools?

I have a 106" screen from 12 feet and blu ray looks very sharp to me.
Salem

·
Registered
592 Posts
My screen is a 126" Stewart Snomatte 100 (same as Studiotek 100). The room is not finished (no drywall, carpeting or seating yet) but it is pitch dark. The colors and contrast look good so that is not an issue. It's just the image looks a bit soft. I've tried sitting anywhere from 10-18'. My videos are a straight rips from the Blu-Ray with no compression.

I have set the focus as best I could in the settings. It's a little hard to tell the exact best setting but I just went a little too far and the backed it down a touch. I did this with both the grid and an image on the screen. I haven't seen anything about convergence in the settings.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hi All,
i recently purchased the samsung uhd k8500 4k bluray player and i can't seem to make it work smoothly with my jvc x550r projector. I popped in the Revenant bluray and the sound is choppy, the picture goes in and out, etc. After reading a few pages, on this long thread, i wanted to get clarification if these 2 units were finally able to work together or not? i tried everything last night and it is just a very disappointing experience to say the least because i can't even watch my first movie yet.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone want to share their calibration settings? Just got mine hooked up and have an oppo 203. Batman vs. Superman 4k, HDR looked really dull and dark on my screen(120 inch Seymour). I did get the Oppo firmware updates. Any suggestions on calibration or settings would be appreciated!

·
Registered
160 Posts
RS500 Firmware Update Error

Same thing happened with me. What a POS update process by JVC! The projector is connected to my network via ethernet and I'm having to update by this archaic method and by cables adapters etc. And then it still doesnt work.
I have been searching this thread to see more info on people having trouble doing firmware updates.
My RS500 is new but still has 83.1 and want to upgrade to 83.2. I have the Keyspan Tripp Lite USB to Serial/ RS232 cable that people are having success with. The firmware is on my desktop everything looks good and I know I am on Com port 6. I follow all the instructions and as soon as I hit "write all flash" I get an error message that says.
Data Load Failed (File Open Error).
I have looked on the thread to see if anyone else has had this an cannot find it.
Any advice?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have been searching this thread to see more info on people having trouble doing firmware updates.
My RS500 is new but still has 83.1 and want to upgrade to 83.2. I have the Keyspan Tripp Lite USB to Serial/ RS232 cable that people are having success with. The firmware is on my desktop everything looks good and I know I am on Com port 6. I follow all the instructions and as soon as I hit "write all flash" I get an error message that says.
I have looked on the thread to see if anyone else has had this an cannot find it.
Any advice?

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
hi All,
i recently purchased the samsung uhd k8500 4k bluray player and i can't seem to make it work smoothly with my jvc x550r projector. I popped in the Revenant bluray and the sound is choppy, the picture goes in and out, etc. After reading a few pages, on this long thread, i wanted to get clarification if these 2 units were finally able to work together or not? i tried everything last night and it is just a very disappointing experience to say the least because i can't even watch my first movie yet.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks !
My Sammy K8500 had serious issues with Handshake when going to 4k with my OLD Hdmi cable.
I upgraded my hdmi 25' cable to a new 1, and all is fine.
How long is your cable, and what kind is it?

·
Banned
2,765 Posts
No signal at all from the Oppo 203 menu or the Sammy 8500 menu at start up...I believe they are sending a 17.8 Gbps signal and my 35' Monoprice Cabernet HDMI cable doesn't work. It works fine on a 4K24 4:4:4 10 bit signal or 11.1 Gbps. The Oppo allows me to set the player to 4K24 4:4:4 10 bit output and I will live with it until Monoprice sells a 17.8 solution and then I will ask for a return...
Hmmm. I am sending from my xbox 1 s and don't see any issues, let me tinker to see I an can reproduce the issue you are having.
Change the output resolution on remote from auto to custom and see if you get picture

·
Registered
14,491 Posts
My screen is a 126" Stewart Snomatte 100 (same as Studiotek 100). The room is not finished (no drywall, carpeting or seating yet) but it is pitch dark. The colors and contrast look good so that is not an issue. It's just the image looks a bit soft. I've tried sitting anywhere from 10-18'. My videos are a straight rips from the Blu-Ray with no compression.

I have set the focus as best I could in the settings. It's a little hard to tell the exact best setting but I just went a little too far and the backed it down a touch. I did this with both the grid and an image on the screen. I haven't seen anything about convergence in the settings.
How are you adjusting focus? Make sure eshift is turned off while adjusting focus if you haven't done so.

Also let me ask: if you pull up the green focus grid, can you make out individual pixels in the green lines? You'll need to get your nose near the screen to see these and to properly adjust focus.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Any advice?
You have to make sure you have the exact type of rs232 cable it specs. I think it has to be a null cable but read the instructions. This was tripping me up at start.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have tried several different bluray movies using an OPPO 203 and Playstation one. Older movies like star trek (2009) are very noisy and The Bourne Identity is barely watchable. Although the dark scenes in dead pool (4k) looked too dark and the light scenes looked a bit washed out, the overall picture was very good. There was very little noise. When I played the 1080p version the foreground image was superb but the background was noisy.
I didn't notice any grain with bourn and the oppo and jvc.... are you using the bt2020 color profile and recommend hdr settings from jvc?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Any advice?
The Keyspan is the exact same cable I am using same model number etc. and I am getting that error. Will not load the firmware.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Slightly different question. Tomorrow I'm having my electrician run a new higher-quality HDMI cable (above my ceiling) from my JVC to the receiver. At the same time, I was going to have him run a Cat 6 Ethernet cable as well, so that the projector will always be connected to my network. Is there any downside to doing this? I know I needed to run a cable to the JVC early on after buying it, but I can't remember exactly why I needed to do that.:confused:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Slightly different question. Tomorrow I'm having my electrician run a new higher-quality HDMI cable (above my ceiling) from my JVC to the receiver. At the same time, I was going to have him run a Cat 6 Ethernet cable as well, so that the projector will always be connected to my network. Is there any downside to doing this? I know I needed to run a cable to the JVC early on after buying it, but I can't remember exactly why I needed to do that.
I suggest you run two cat 6 cables. It shouldn't add much cost. I did it to give me the option of running HDMI over Ethernet extenders if needed.
Salem

·
Registered
317 Posts

From 10' it should look super sharp. Make sure you turn off eshift for setting focus. I get within a foot of my screen to adjust focus. And I use the same method you do: adjust until it gets worse then back it off. On my projector I can never get perfectly sharp edges on the adjustment lines as viewed from 1' away. But it looks amazing from my seat 10-12 feet back.

The convergence settings are described on page 49 of the manual: "pixel adjust".

If you have convergence issues you will see color halos on animated stuff. Especially when you have white directly beside black.
Salem

3761 - 3780 of 6011 Posts