AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 6069 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
If JVC really wanted to screw the bottom end unit out of something they could have not included the dynamic iris, then there would have been quite the difference in contrast between this model and the two on the top.
I think JVC's done a really good job of providing very great value all the way through their product lines year after year. This year, I think many folks initially looked beyond the RS400 (I know I did) because of the "carryover parts" and slightly lower reported contrast figure off the previous year's lower tier model. Now that all three models are "out in the wild" I think folks are reappraising the 400's worth and realizing just what a wonderful projector it is.

You're right that JVC could have hobbled the lower tier model and pulled the Dynamic Iris but that's more the modus operandi of an electronic company that rhymes with "pony".

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I think JVC's done a really good job of providing very great value all the way through their product lines year after year. This year, I think many folks initially looked beyond the RS400 (I know I did) because of the "carryover parts" and slightly lower reported contrast figure off the previous year's lower tier model. Now that all three models are "out in the wild" I think folks are reappraising the 400's worth and realizing just what a wonderful projector it is.

You're right that JVC could have hobbled the lower tier model and pulled the Dynamic Iris but that's more the modus operandi of an electronic company that rhymes with "pony".
I would say this year the bottom end model sits just a hair below last year's bottom model in terms of contrast performance difference to the next model up. So JVC did "maim" this model just a tad more. Last year the delta in native contrast at full brightness was ~15% between the bottom end unit and mid-tier unit. This year it's doubled to a 30% contrast delta. This is main reason why many opted for the higher end units this year. But, whether or not you're willing to pay the extra ~$1500 street for the next model up, is something subjective. Though using the dynamic iris will lessen the visible difference in native contrast quite a bit. Though not everyone likes using the DI and if you're one of these people the next model up makes more sense. There's no denying that the RS400 packs the most bang for the buck still.

As far as bright corners go, I doubt this is something better or worse depending on the model. All three models use the exact same DiLA panels but I think it may stick out more on the higher end models due to the level of black being that much "blacker". I feel lucky as my unit has extremely light "bright" corners. A little better than my previous X500 and the "lens streaking" issue is noticeably better on my RS500 as well. Convergence is quite excellent too. Overall I think I got a pretty good unit. These issues really are lucky of the draw in terms of severity.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
You said the JVC iris was about as good as an iris gets though, no?
Are you asking me? If so, no, I never said that. It's definitely a good performing iris and feels like a multi-generation improved up implementation. But it still needs a little refinement in my opinion, but in general I doubt most would have complaints. The Sony 1100ES, except in dark scenes (it can close too much), performs better imo. I'd say the best DI I've ever seen was in the Sony HW30ES and HW50ES (same implementation if I'm not mistaken).

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Just curious who's argued against this? I mean this is always how it's been with the JVCs. The top models share the same parts as the bottom end ones except some modifications and extra parts are used in the top two models to increase contrast. Your conclusion is as expected. It's always been a question of how much more are you willing to spend to get that last bit of performance. If JVC really wanted to screw the bottom end unit out of something they could have not included the dynamic iris, then there would have been quite the difference in contrast between this model and the two on the top.
I've seen a number of posts on the 500/600 thread where people who have not seen the 400 commented that it was definitely inferior to the 500 -- IMO it is only inferior with respect to published specs but not with the image it throws, albeit it does not have the contrast of the 500; however, this does not distract from the image in all the content I've seen with the exception of fade to blacks (even with the DI on its fades are not quite as convincing as the 500's fades).

Tomorrow I spend some quality time with the LS10000.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've done a head-to-head comparison between the 500 (750) and the 400 (550) -- I own them both so I don't think I bring any bias to the table (well maybe a little since the 500 cost a fair chunk of change more).

In our opinion (with a forum guest attending) the 400 is pretty much the 500 without the 500's black floor, which seems to only be an advantage in fade scenes. In other words the 400 hangs in there with its big brother in all the various scenes we threw at it -- both 2D and 3D. I lived with the 400 for a few weeks before my 500 arrived so I knew the 500 was in for a rough ride. The 500 is an amazing projector so where does that leave the 400? An even more amazing projector since it doesn't have the 500's specs or price. Now, this was with 1080p material, which is what we'll mostly be watching for some time I believe. I don't think you guys are going to be disappointed.

My guest, who has a long history setting up, repairing and rebuilding CRT projectors, and currently has what used to be my Sony G90 (I gave it to him) said the following: "The JVC's are sharper, brighter and have all the contrast of the best CRTs" (my feelings exactly). He asked me how the image could get any better. No doubt it will but for now I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.
What about the 1000 lumens difference between the two, is it noticeable or a factor?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Your projector is pointed towards the right then. Rotate it slightly to the left, and use lens shift to shift the image back right. Keep making small adjustments until it's perfect. If the bottom is concave, it's tilted too far up. Convex - too far down.

I had both my RS600 and VW600 perfectly aligned to my two screens. Perfect rectangle. Perfect corners. Then I removed and re-installed my electric screens. Now I have an RS600 whose image " droops down " on the right corner, and a VW600 whose image " droops down " on the left corner. It's not the projector - it's the mounting position in relation to the screen.
Thanks, done the adjustment, it's perfectly rectangle now :):kiss:

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would say this year the bottom end model sits just a hair below last year's bottom model in terms of contrast performance difference to the next model up. So JVC did "maim" this model just a tad more. Last year the delta in native contrast at full brightness was ~15% between the bottom end unit and mid-tier unit. This year it's doubled to a 30% contrast delta. This is main reason why many opted for the higher end units this year. But, whether or not you're willing to pay the extra ~$1500 street for the next model up, is something subjective. Though using the dynamic iris will lessen the visible difference in native contrast quite a bit. Though not everyone likes using the DI and if you're one of these people the next model up makes more sense. There's no denying that the RS400 packs the most bang for the buck still.

As far as bright corners go, I doubt this is something better or worse depending on the model. All three models use the exact same DiLA panels but I think it may stick out more on the higher end models due to the level of black being that much "blacker". I feel lucky as my unit has extremely light "bright" corners. A little better than my previous X500 and the "lens streaking" issue is noticeably better on my RS500 as well. Convergence is quite excellent too. Overall I think I got a pretty good unit. These issues really are lucky of the draw in terms of severity.
I'm glad you got a really good unit, Seegs! Gives me hope for my replacement. Except for the bright corners being more evident from seating level, my current unit has excellent convergence and unnoticeable streaking from where I sit. I wasn't getting noticeable Iris pulsing either. I think your reasoning makes sense, and it looks we all agree that RS400 has a large bang for the buck quotient.

·
Registered
19,653 Posts
Does the RS400 put out more heat with the new lamp compared to the previous models?

I have my RS600 in a confined space ( top projector in the photo below ), and I don't find it putting out more heat ( in low lamp ) than what I remember from the 4910 I had here, nor is it putting out more than my VW600.

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
Does the RS400 put out more heat with the new lamp compared to the previous models?
The wattage is slightly higher, but not by a huge amount, so it will generate a little bit more heat. It's still not as high as many DLP's, such as the old Benq w7000 (which peaks at over 400 watts total including lamp + electronics).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My RS400 was delivered Friday and I will be installing it this coming Tuesday.

Can anyone post some of their calibrated settings to give me a good starting point?

Thanks!

Reactions: Nexgen76

·
Registered
72 Posts
Random RS-400U questions

I'm just getting back into HT after a long hiatus -- the kids took over the family room for their gaming and electronics projects, but now they have headed off to college. The room is now completely light-controlled, so I think the new JVC's with higher brightness would be a good fit for me. I would probably go with the RS400, it sounds like a great value, and I don't spend enough time watching movies to justify the 500 or 600.

I have three random questions, wondering if anybody with experience has suggestions:

1: The pro.jvc.com website says that they have B-Stock DLA-RS400U's available thru dealers ... is this something that AVS would sell? Is it a good idea to get a B-Stock unit for such a recently-released projector? I don't plan to use the projector more than 5 hours a week, but I would hope that it will last me at least 3 or 4 years.

2: I understand that the high input lag would disqualify the JVC for gaming, but does it also cause any lip-sync issues? Can you see that lag when watching Movies or TV?

3: My wife asked that the new projector be easier to use than the old one (an Optoma with no discrete IR codes for Power On / Power Off). I think it's time to invest in a new remote as well; is there anything I should be aware of as far as controlling the JVC's go? I saw that they publish a doc with many discrete IR codes, so I'm hoping it will be much easier to set up macros for an RS-400U

thanks in advance,
Jedi Mike

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Guys and girls

If you want a real musical 3d trip from 50 minutes on your JVC rs400 get lichmond III 3d.
Its amazing on the JVC,superb contrast and some deep black scenes on the end.

Its the best 3d i have ever have seen.

And turn your volume op to 11!:)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I'm just getting back into HT after a long hiatus -- the kids took over the family room for their gaming and electronics projects, but now they have headed off to college. The room is now completely light-controlled, so I think the new JVC's with higher brightness would be a good fit for me. I would probably go with the RS400, it sounds like a great value, and I don't spend enough time watching movies to justify the 500 or 600.

I have three random questions, wondering if anybody with experience has suggestions:

1: The pro.jvc.com website says that they have B-Stock DLA-RS400U's available thru dealers ... is this something that AVS would sell? Is it a good idea to get a B-Stock unit for such a recently-released projector? I don't plan to use the projector more than 5 hours a week, but I would hope that it will last me at least 3 or 4 years.

2: I understand that the high input lag would disqualify the JVC for gaming, but does it also cause any lip-sync issues? Can you see that lag when watching Movies or TV?

3: My wife asked that the new projector be easier to use than the old one (an Optoma with no discrete IR codes for Power On / Power Off). I think it's time to invest in a new remote as well; is there anything I should be aware of as far as controlling the JVC's go? I saw that they publish a doc with many discrete IR codes, so I'm hoping it will be much easier to set up macros for an RS-400U

thanks in advance,
Jedi Mike

Hello there i can only answer question 2.

You wil not see the lag when playing movies..

But even with the lag you can play a gome on it if you want to..

I play sometimes rainbowsix siege and its works fine.

The lag is high but at my age i a, not that fast any more lol.
But its not that high that you cant play any games on it.

21 - 40 of 6069 Posts