AVS Forum banner

4161 - 4180 of 6002 Posts

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
I hope you have better luck than me...my 35' Monoprice Cabernet HDMI cable couldn't pass the max signal - no problems at 4K24 though. :)

Back in January a guy on Facebook HTE group did lots of testing, based my decision on his data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,000 Posts

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have my pj and I was originally going to build a home for it but decided on hanging it. After searching Chief seemed to come up so I had loaded a cart at Amazon, but figured I should ask someone who knows exactly what I need. I contacted Mike, he said call, I left town and came home to a bunch of packages. my wife apparently ordered something and everything in the cart came with it:rolleyes:.

I got the RPMA 281, interface and a 9"-12" adjustable pole, ceiling mount. I believe the mount is right but not sure if the pole is correct.
Im using a 120" screen 1.1, 8 ft ceiling and would like to keep it about 6" off. Im not sure what distance I should be at for that size for throw. I can put it wherever it needs to go.

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
What drop tube you need depends on the vertical distance from the ceiling to the top of the image. You would like to mount the lens near the top of the image. With 9" to 12" adjustable, the image can start at 15" to 18" below the ceiling and still have the lens at top of image. That would place the bottom of the image 22 to 19" above the floor. That is pretty low for a 120" screen. You can always mount the screen higher. It is perfectly fine to have the projector lower than top of image. That means even less lens shift. Though the projector is going to be down near head knocking height. Should be around 6'-5" to 6'-2" of clearance under the projector, when using 9" to 12" adjustable.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Wasn't sure? Look at last page on the right(menu) if it says 3840x it's upscaled to 4k.
In MPC you can select it.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Okay guys i need help........I've had my projector since Nov last year and I'm not seeing this pop everyone talking about when it comes to 4K disc. I've added BT2020 file & put my PJ in high lamp mode to get it too look a little better. What are some other options i can try to get a better 4K image ?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Okay guys i need help........I've had my projector since Nov last year and I'm not seeing this pop everyone talking about when it comes to 4K disc. I've added BT2020 file & put my PJ in high lamp mode to get it too look a little better. What are some other options i can try to get a better 4K image ?
What are your other settings? Gamma D? Have you put in the JVC recommendations for Picture Tone, Dark Level, Bright Level?

Most are quite unsatisfied with the picture quality for HDR using Gamma D.

Or are you using an HDFury Integral, in order to get SDR-BT2020?

Have you seen any of the posts here and on the 500/600 thread about Custom Curves, or tried to implement that approach?

So, depending on where you are, we can suggest what you can do to improve things.

Don

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Wasn't sure? Look at last page on the right(menu) if it says 3840x it's upscaled to 4k.
In MPC you can select it.
I put those blur processors on low, and that activates Eshift. It really cleaned up the image, with a hint of Day Time Soaps. I threw in Fifth Element with the same effect, but that was a BR. Oblivion was crystal clear with no BlurProcess

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
What are your other settings? Gamma D? Have you put in the JVC recommendations for Picture Tone, Dark Level, Bright Level?

Most are quite unsatisfied with the picture quality for HDR using Gamma D.

Or are you using an HDFury Integral, in order to get SDR-BT2020?

Have you seen any of the posts here and on the 500/600 thread about Custom Curves, or tried to implement that approach?

So, depending on where you are, we can suggest what you can do to improve things.

Don
Thanks as always for your input Don, But Gamma D & those setting was close to where i wanted it but i just added custom curve.....OMG:D:D I'm finally getting this pop everyone was talking about.

Reactions: DLCPhoto

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks as always for your input Don, But Gamma D & those setting was close to where i wanted it but i just added custom curve.....OMG:D:D I'm finally getting this pop everyone was talking about.
Would you post which custom curve you used? I'm curious about all of this, but don't have a 4k player yet.

·
Registered
28,807 Posts
Thanks Mike, since that may be a issue with the pole, is it worth your while to send me a shorter one if I decide to return the one I have?

What is my ideal throw for 120" and is it ok to sit under the pj or is it better to have it behind the seating position?
We can do that, if you want.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Anyone want to field some basic setting discussion, like user settings ect, i have an idea of how to set them up, but want to be sure there isnt a better way to save settings.....

For now i just want a user setting for BR's and other viewing that can benifit from low level processing and some Eshift.
I only have a BR DVD player 1080p, some look great, some not....

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Would you post which custom curve you used? I'm curious about all of this, but don't have a 4k player yet.
I used the Dolby Vision custom curve. He had two more on there but that one with my setup looked far better to me.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I used the Dolby Vision custom curve. He had two more on there but that one with my setup looked far better to me.

Can I ask you where is that link? I cannot seem to find it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Reactions: SteveTheGeek

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Seek out 4K mastered discs

You should be seeing the added HDR color and contrast difference between the 4K discs and Blu-ray. That's always going to be the most obvious change. For the real resolution difference you'll need to seek out movies and Planet Earth 2 mastered in 4K and captured on 35mm film or digital cameras with at least 3.4K chip.

Here's some reference 4K mastered discs:
Planet Earth 2
Lucy
Sicaro
The Revenant
SpiderMan 2
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Salt
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Sully
Allied
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk