AVS Forum banner

4181 - 4200 of 5999 Posts

·
Registered
28,752 Posts
You should be seeing the added HDR color and contrast difference between the 4K discs and Blu-ray. That's always going to be the most obvious change. For the real resolution difference you'll need to seek out movies and Planet Earth 2 mastered in 4K and captured on 35mm film or digital cameras with at least 3.4K chip.

Here's some reference 4K mastered discs:
Planet Earth 2
Lucy
Sicaro
The Revenant
SpiderMan 2
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Salt
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Sully
Allied
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
Angels and Demons
Deadpool
Star Trek Into the Darkness
also the upcoming La La Land

I doubt he will see any color difference, since the 4 series does not have the DCI P3 filter.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I doubt he will see any color difference, since the 4 series does not have the DCI P3 filter.
I see the HDR color palette difference with every 4K disc shown on my X550 projector. The flesh tones are the most obvious difference. For the first time watching movies we're seeing the closest color match to our real flesh colors.

Maybe that chip gives more colors for the more expensive JVC projectors, but the entry level projector is still producing a good HDR color and contrast palette. I see it everyday comparing the 4K discs to the traditional 2K Blu-ray discs.

·
Registered
18,129 Posts
Thanks Mike, since that may be a issue with the pole, is it worth your while to send me a shorter one if I decide to return the one I have?

What is my ideal throw for 120" and is it ok to sit under the pj or is it better to have it behind the seating position?
I've always preferred to have projectors mounted behind me. Not as noticeable as when they are directly above, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I've always preferred to have projectors mounted behind me. Not as noticeable as when they are directly above, in my opinion.
Thats what I was thinking, but I have zero point of reference. Thoughts on ideal throw distance for a 1.1 gain 120"? Trying to get the mount established so when the velvet is done Im ready to go

·
Registered
18,129 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, but I have zero point of reference. Thoughts on ideal throw distance for a 1.1 gain 120"? Trying to get the mount established so when the velvet is done Im ready to go
I'm missing your seating distance and room size, but, with my 120" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, a 14' mounting distance ( lens to screen ) and a 10' 6" seating distance has worked well.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
This is all new to me, so I honestly dont know whats going to be comfortable. The room is 21x14 and I can mount and sit wherever I need to. Im just looking for a ballpark on mount distance. If I need to move it, no biggie and if I need to move my seating, not a problem either. I have all the gear, its killing me that Im not doing anything so any progress will feel good. Ive seen you rave about the Cima Neve, once Im settled in a year I plan on looking at getting one those screens once the new wears off the whole thing. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Will this projector be able to handle Dolby Vision?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
So can it be upgraded thru a firmware?

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
No hardware for it AFAIK
HDR10 supposedly has to be there as well, so DV discs will still be UHD for displays that don't support DV.
Maybe I'm wrong...

·
Registered
28,752 Posts
So can it be upgraded thru a firmware?
No. Standards for DV on home front projectors have not be set yet. Will require more than what flat panel display need. We may never get it in the front projector world. You would need a sensor and a test pattern built into the front projector and a way to get screen size feed into the system, so that projector could calculate what it is working with. Flat panels do not have these same problems. At least not to the same extent.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
18,129 Posts
This is all new to me, so I honestly dont know whats going to be comfortable. The room is 21x14 and I can mount and sit wherever I need to. Im just looking for a ballpark on mount distance. If I need to move it, no biggie and if I need to move my seating, not a problem either. I have all the gear, its killing me that Im not doing anything so any progress will feel good. Ive seen you rave about the Cima Neve, once Im settled in a year I plan on looking at getting one those screens once the new wheres off the whole thing. I appreciate the input.
My wife preferred a 14' viewing distance for the 122" diagonal screen at first, but I've slowly been moving it closer over time to the present 10' 6" distance ( she's said " stop " ) ! ;)

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
My wife preferred a 14' viewing distance for the 122" diagonal screen at first, but I've slowly been moving it closer over time to the present 10' 6" distance ( she's said " stop " ) ! ;)

You knew this all along ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
846 Posts
Any RS400 owners located close to northeast Indiana interested in showing off your projector?  I am considering this model but would like to see one in action before purchasing. Just PM me if interested. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
Any RS400 owners located close to northeast Indiana interested in showing off your projector?  I am considering this model but would like to see one in action before purchasing. Just PM me if interested. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SE Michigan Howell area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4181 - 4200 of 5999 Posts