AVS Forum banner

4201 - 4220 of 6011 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello,

It's been 1 year since i bought my JVC-RS400, but i still couldn't have chance to make the fw update.

Now, i'd like to do it asap and i bought the equipment below.

One converter device + A cheap RS232 F/F cable.

So, can i make the upgrade by using this combo?

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I searched here before posting.
I've got a Harmony remote , 890 with RF to IR, works fine.
However I can't figure out how to add Anamorphic-A and Anamorphic off to the remote. On my prior PJ, Sony VW60, that was in the Harmony code database and easy to assign.

Now, I need to use manually go thru the menus to do it for each movie, a PIA, and when my kids watch movies I don't want them to muck up anything by getting into the PJ menus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,406 Posts
I searched here before posting.
I've got a Harmony remote , 890 with RF to IR, works fine.
However I can't figure out how to add Anamorphic-A and Anamorphic off to the remote. On my prior PJ, Sony VW60, that was in the Harmony code database and easy to assign.

Now, I need to use manually go thru the menus to do it for each movie, a PIA, and when my kids watch movies I don't want them to muck up anything by getting into the PJ menus.

The Harmony database has the discrete codes for anamorphic lens for Anamorphic A, Anamorphic B, Off and Anamorphic (cycle). For each of my activities, I added Those buttons to the touch screen.

I just checked to see what model I used in the HArmony database. I used the RS600.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Hello,

It's been 1 year since i bought my JVC-RS400, but i still couldn't have chance to make the fw update.

Now, i'd like to do it asap and i bought the equipment below.

One converter device + A cheap RS232 F/F cable.

So, can i make the upgrade by using this combo?

JVC is very specific as to which USB -> serial adapters are tested, there is a real risk of bricking your projector with alternative products.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Keyspan-High-Speed-USA-19HS/dp/B0000VYJRY/

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Modem-Serial-P450-006/dp/B000067SCH/

firmware and PDF instructions are located here:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550r_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd-dl.html

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
The Harmony database has the discrete codes for anamorphic lens for Anamorphic A, Anamorphic B, Off and Anamorphic (cycle). For each of my activities, I added Those buttons to the touch screen.

I just checked to see what model I used in the HArmony database. I used the RS600.

Well I'll add a second PJ, the RS600 , make an activity with that to see if it controls the RS400 properly, kinda weird though if the 600 has them and the 400 did not ....
thx mike G

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Definitely the RS600 IR set has many more than the RS400

RS600 has anamorphic preloaded in additional buttons

RS400 not even there and much less IR codes.
Not sure if this is a Harmony issue or what

I've already made a second activity with the RS600,now I need to sync the IR blaster and 890

And.... drum roll ... it works!!!
Guess I'm the only one who uses an anamorphic lens with a Harmony on a RS400 then, or my search in this thread would have found it.

Anamorphic A on

Off

·
Registered
29,406 Posts
Well I'll add a second PJ, the RS600 , make an activity with that to see if it controls the RS400 properly, kinda weird though if the 600 has them and the 400 did not ....
thx mike G

I am sure that it will work. Harmony does not have the RS4500 in the system (at least not when I got the projector) so I am using RS600 to control my RS4500 and everything works. I have an A-lens and use those same buttons. :)

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
I bet the RS400 has them also. Have you checked through the available screen button options for the RS400?
Mike if you bet me $5 you'd lose!
Yes I did and it's not there at all ....

My 890 uses the old software not the newer software, still that should not matter for IR code database.

·
Registered
29,406 Posts
Mike if you bet me $5 you'd lose!
Yes I did and it's not there at all ....

My 890 uses the old software not the newer software, still that should not matter for IR code database.
You caught me in mid edit. :) My wife brought me my son's ACT scores, got distracted. :)

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Is any of the firmware updates that important to update our RS400 ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

Is that really that much critic? I already bought the equipment that i put photos.

Has every RS-400 user here used exactly those "Tripp Lite" for the update?

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Thank you for your reply.

Is that really that much critic? I already bought the equipment that i put photos.

Has every RS-400 user here used exactly those "Tripp Lite" for the update?

Hi, there's a number of stories over the years of folks having issues with devices that aren't tested/approved for the update.

3 scenarios - it will work, it won't work / no projector brick and worse case, firmware failure possibly send in for repair.

The Tripp Lite adapter is 100% guaranteed to work, I have updated a dozen or so JVC's over the years with that adapter.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Hi, there's a number of stories over the years of folks having issues with devices that aren't tested/approved for the update.

3 scenarios - it will work, it won't work / no projector brick and worse case, firmware failure possibly send in for repair.

The Tripp Lite adapter is 100% guaranteed to work, I have updated a dozen or so JVC's over the years with that adapter.

I feel like Charlie Brown here .. kicking the football ...... Lucy pulls it away .... and flat on my back ...

So I bought the cable below , have not used it, and there's no guarantee it may or not brick my PJ?

Curious what's the root cause of the other failures? Or not known?
I did not see on the JVC website any endorsement of a specific cable, but I easily could have missed it.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I feel like Charlie Brown here .. kicking the football ...... Lucy pulls it away .... and flat on my back ...

So I bought the cable below , have not used it, and there's no guarantee it may or not brick my PJ?

Curious what's the root cause of the other failures? Or not known?
I did not see on the JVC website any endorsement of a specific cable, but I easily could have missed it.
In the update procedure document, they specify which USB -> Serial adapters have been tested. The Staples adapter is no longer available (I use the Staples adapter and Tripp Lite, both work perfect).

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/file/Update_Procedure_u83.2.pdf

Those single all in 1 cables are especially suspect. It's not worth the potential aggravation vs. spending a bit extra to get the right adapter + null modem cable.

regarding the root cause, legacy serial communication is a sensitive protocol, there isn't much room for error. Before these confirmed USB-Serial adapters were available, folks were digging out older laptops with built in 9 pin serial ports as a 'real' com port is the safest way to update the JVC's. Some adapters do not do the proper comm port emulation and can lead to a failure or in worst case, a bricked projector.

The Tripp lite listed above emulates the legacy serial port well and is one of the safest current ways of updating the JVC.

·
Registered
29,406 Posts
4201 - 4220 of 6011 Posts