AVS Forum banner

4481 - 4500 of 5999 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Has anyone watched "The Fifth Element" yet? The HDR image is EXTREMELY dim. I do not get this issue with other HDR titles.

I guess I need to check HDR settings on the RS400 again.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The idea of auto iris is that it closes down in darker scenes, to increase your blacks, widens in bright scenes, allowing for greater brightness; the net result is effectively increasing the dynamic range available to be displayed.

The downside is that in a given scene, the iris may fluctuate between 2 values, being seen as unexpected shifts in brightness - this is called iris pumping.

For me, despite trying it on numerous occasions, the iris pumping was a major distraction, and it never seemed to have a noticeable effect on blacks. So at least with my RS400, in my room, the negatives outweigh the positives, so I don't use it for SDR. I would tend to doubt I would like it any better in HDR if I used the Linker.

You can read the last several posts in the RS500/RS600 thread, where various people indicate their preferences in this regard. For some, getting a better fade to black is more important, and they don't mind the iris pumping when it occurs. For me, it's the opposite.

So it's definitely a subjective thing, with no objective right or wrong, better or worse.
If we are running HDR at high lamp and to get full brightness the Iris cranked to Zero, then my understanding is the the DI does not come into play with Iris set at Zero?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
If we are running HDR at high lamp and to get full brightness the Iris cranked to Zero, then my understanding is the the DI does not come into play with Iris set at Zero?
The iris setting determines the maximum, or widest, it will open, in bright scenes. It doesn't limit how small the iris can get in dark scenes.

So, if somebody determines that they need no more than -8 on their iris settings, for the brightest scenes, then it will open no further than -8. It will still shut down as small as needed for the dark scenes. For many of us, with large screens, and not a full bat-cave, we need all the light we can get. So I have mine set to 0 as well for HDR, high lamp.

I choose not to engage DI since I don't care for the iris pumping, which is a major distraction to me, and since I don't really find a significant improvement in blacks.

Don

·
Registered
878 Posts
I wrote this a couple of weeks ago:
I rent movies in iTunes Store on the Apple TV 3
It worked fine with my old JVC X35
So I just assumed that it would be the same with the X5000
But there is serious stuttering

Today I tried switching the HDMI EDID to B just to try something... and it worked :)
Now, if I had only figured it out yesterday: Had to watch La La Land on my small 55" OLED (the movie has an aspect ratio of 2,55:1)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The Linker will take care of functions 1 and 2. The Integral is required to handle # 3.

They are coming out with a new product, the Vertex, around Nov. 1, which will handle all these functions, apparently provide, a new GUI, and likely have other functions as well. Price is $349, so not cheap, but if anyone wants these functions, this will take care of it all.
I currently don't have my Integral connected as I'm happy with HDR and a custom curve on my JVC RS400. BUT, I would love to have it stop defaulting to Gamma D on each handshake. Does that happen if I just put it back inline, or do I actually have to learn how to set it somehow? ;)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I currently don't have my Integral connected as I'm happy with HDR and a custom curve on my JVC RS400. BUT, I would love to have it stop defaulting to Gamma D on each handshake. Does that happen if I just put it back inline, or do I actually have to learn how to set it somehow? ;)
You actually need the Linker, not the Integral, to do that, unfortunately. Or the new Vertex coming out in November, which has the functionality of both the Linker and Integral combined.

I'm pretty certain you would have to configure the Linker to get what you want, but I don't think it would be particularly difficult - just a matter of knowing the specific settings, which you should be able to get readily from either HDFury directly, or a quick post in the RS500/RS600 thread. And it's likely been asked or posted before, so I'd search that thread, and probably find it that way.

You might also want to look at recent posts, as if I recall correctly, some were complaining of some stability problems with the Linker initially, in this regard. But I think HDFury put out some firmware updates, which improved things.

But before you spend the money on a Linker, I'd contact someone who is using it for this purpose, to be sure about how well it would do what you want, and if there are any issues.

Don

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
But before you spend the money on a Linker, I'd contact someone who is using it for this purpose, to be sure about how well it would do what you want, and if there are any issues.

Don
That being the case, I'll probably just stick with Gamma D's crappy look to remind me to change to Custom 1.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
That being the case, I'll probably just stick with Gamma D's crappy look to remind me to change to Custom 1.
Yeah, for me, it's just not worth the money and minor hassle.

When I play a UHD/HDR disk, I don't make any changes at all until I actually start the movie itself. With my setup, I can still hit Pause to do this, or during the movie, for a bathroom break, and it will stay with my Custom Gamma.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I apologize if this has been answered before (probably, as the thread is 150 pages)
I need the easiest way to calibrate my X5000 with the auto-calibration feature
I'm not good with these things so a step-by-step guide for dummies would be appreciated :)
What do I need and what do I do?
The guy who was supposed to calibrate it keeps pushing the date

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I apologize if this has been answered before (probably, as the thread is 150 pages)
I'm not good with these things so a step-by-step guide for dummies would be appreciated :)
The basics are covered in the Manual provided by JVC:

JVC Autocal Software Manual

The other source of information is a huge thread here, but see Posts #1 and #1 0 for the essentials:

JVC Autocal Thread

As with most things, it sounds worse than it is, but it will still take some reading, thinking, and planning.

Those are the basics. People in this thread, but especially the main RS500/RS600 thread, and the Autocal thread linked above, are happy to help, but you will need to do your homework first.

Don

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I just sent you a PM with detailed instructions. I'm working on a condensed single post step-by-step DIY for autocal to accompany my Step-by-step Custom Gamma Curve DIY. Once I have it fully vetted I'll post in publicly in this thread and link it in my sig. :)

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
You will have elevated black floor, since the image will be very bright. You could always run an ND filter in front of the lens for 1080P 2D content.
BTW, who makes ND filters that fit the JVC lenses? They'd have to be outer-mount + friction-fit, right? Since the JVC's don't have any threaded areas on the inner fronts.

·
Registered
28,745 Posts
BTW, who makes ND filters that fit the JVC lenses? They'd have to be outer-mount + friction-fit, right? Since the JVC's don't have any threaded areas on the inner fronts.
I doubt you find one that fits. You would have to rig something up.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Dreamliner, should I buy the Express or Pro version of Spyder 5?
Hardware is identical for all versions so Express is fine. The Spyder has a screw mount so a camera tripod will also be helpful unless you plan to get very creative.

·
Registered
246 Posts
So, after a day and an half installing my JVC in the ceiling, today I tried connecting my Sony X800. Sadly the projector won't accept any signal in 4K including the Sony home menu - I have to revert to 480p to get anything on screen at all.

The cable is 4k certified Supra MetB, 10 meter (specified to [email protected] Hz 1-10 meter).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
18,116 Posts
So, after a day and an half installing my JVC in the ceiling, today I tried connecting my Sony X800. Sadly the projector won't accept any signal in 4K including the Sony home menu - I have to revert to 480p to get anything on screen at all.

The cable is 4k certified Supra MetB, 10 meter (specified to [email protected] Hz 1-10 meter).

Any ideas?
Try a different HDMI cable. " certified " means nothing.

·
Registered
18,116 Posts
Thanks - not that easy though, they cost a fortune here in Sweden. This particular one was almost 190 USD from a Swedish producer well known for their quality. It can't be anything else than the cable?
What's the Sony player outputting signal wise ? Which HDMI port on the projector ?

4481 - 4500 of 5999 Posts