AVS Forum banner

4541 - 4560 of 5999 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
So I have a really dumb question...does the JVC Cal software replace the Spyder software ? Or are those used separately ?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
So I have a really dumb question...does the JVC Cal software replace the Spyder software ? Or are those used separately ?
Separate. The Spyder software installs the drivers JVC Calibration needs, but that's it. I've got a link in my sig to a quickstart guide for you. :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Separate. The Spyder software installs the drivers JVC Calibration needs, but that's it. I've got a link in my sig to a quickstart guide for you. :)

Ah ok, just for the drivers, but the actual calibration doesn't use the Spyder software, just the JVC Cal, hence the Express Spyder is good enough.

Thanks for the link I'll check it out!

·
Registered
28,745 Posts
I can slide the lens on the transport out of the path into the parked position. The issue still exists. It exists with the lens in place and parked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What about when you are using very little lens shift? Have you looked at the lens to make sure nothing is on it?

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I assume that the Spyder should be positioned in front of the very center of the screen?
I just measured: The center is 160 centimeters from the ground (63 inches)
The Spyder needs to be positioned such that its shadow (from the projector light) falls on the centre of the screen. Assuming the projector is ceiling-mounted, it means the Spyder needs to be mounted quite a bit higher than the centre of the screen.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
I've been working on my new room, havent had time to really sit down and wrap my head around Eshift, does it work with 1080p sources, and quadruple the resolution.....see i dont understand Lol

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
What do i need to make hdr on my x5000 look brighter
Love the picture its just a bit dark

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
This is highly discussed topic in this forum, and the RS500/RS600 forum.

See these 2 posts I have made previously, which provides links to the information you're looking for.

Basically, you need to do a good JVC Autocalibration, followed by creating a Custom Gamma Curve for HDR. Here are my posts to get you started:

First Post

Second Post

If you're completely unfamiliar with all of this, it will take some time and effort to get up to speed. The other option is to hire a professional calibrator, such as ChadB, to do the work for you.

Good luck!

Don

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Should eshift just be used for 4K sources. Eshifting 1080p looks fuzzy
Not on mine.
It has been noted by some people including this reviewer who thought e-shift made 1080 content look blurry (pics in the review). I'm not real certain I saw any negatives at a normal viewing distance, but I do shut e-shift off for 1080 content because I don't like the buzzing noise it makes. I can hear it when I'm watching TV-type content at low volume.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It has been noted by some people including this reviewer who thought e-shift made 1080 content look blurry (pics in the review). I'm not real certain I saw any negatives at a normal viewing distance, but I do shut e-shift off for 1080 content because I don't like the buzzing noise it makes. I can hear it when I'm watching TV-type content at low volume.
I don't see any any issues from my viewing chair letting the 400 upscale to 4k'ish with E-shift on and I don't hear any buzzing. Blurays look fantastic.

Maybe it's a unit to unit type thing.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I don't see any any issues from my viewing chair letting the 400 upscale to 4k'ish with E-shift on and I don't hear any buzzing. Blurays look fantastic.

Maybe it's a unit to unit type thing.
It's definitely there. Some people just notice it more than others. I'm really sensitive to noise so I noticed the e-shift sound immediately. I also immediately noticed the Auto Iris and CMD right away too. (All got shut off right away.)

If you think you can't hear e-shift and you just hear the fan, you'd probably be pretty surprised to know that what you're actually hearing is the e-shift. Shut it off and you'll hear the change right away.

Visually, I don't really notice the e-shift either way from normal viewing distance for 1080, but a foot or two away from the screen and I see it.

Obviously, there is a pretty big difference between 1080 e-shift off and 4K e-shift on. So that's nice. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
When using zoom presets between cinemascope and 16:9, what am i meant to do with focus?
Do i have to adjust the focus every time i switch between them?

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
When using zoom presets between cinemascope and 16:9, what am i meant to do with focus?
Do i have to adjust the focus every time i switch between them?
The focus may need some re-adjustment between the two zoom ratios, but is stored as part of the memory setting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The focus may need some re-adjustment between the two zoom ratios, but is stored as part of the memory setting.
That makes sense, but i swear i read somewhere that it doesn't.
Guess, if i don't take your word for it, i can always just see for myself.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Don't just take my word. Read the JVC manual, which says "The Focus, Zoom, and Shift settings can be saved or retrieved, so you can switch easily to a different aspect ratio (screen size) according to the image"

·
Registered
28,745 Posts
If you are using the same screen, then most likely, you will not have to use a different focus setting.

4541 - 4560 of 5999 Posts