AVS Forum banner

4861 - 4880 of 5999 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
Chadb can make the 400 look very sweet. Mine looked good with the Projectorreviews.com settings, but you can see the difference both on the screen and in the reports once Chad finishes his work.

P.S.-I forgot to add that I had AVS load three pre-made gamma curves before sending the 400 to me. Chad's curves were done custom for my projector in my surroundings. I've seen how important that can be.

I’ve already been in contact with Chad lol. Going to try and get on his schedule for the next couple months. Need to put some hours on first.

I also had AVS install the gamma curves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I had another member contact me about this deal. Mine was delivered yesterday and its amazing. I wasn't going to upgrade for a while but this was too good of a deal to pass up. Mike is also very helpful, of course. Still cannot believe the deal I got. Very happy camper!:D
Mike is a good guy, no issues with my purchase at all..I'd Love him at that price, they're giving it away!

Reactions: rcapprotti

·
Registered
336 Posts
$1,500 for the RS400? Aarg! I just bought mine from AVScience two weeks ago and paid $400 more than that!
Here's the thing: I thought I was getting a steal at that price! You know what, I was. This is just a better steal.
I guess that's why we shouldn't have price talk in these threads, eh?
-Pete

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
$1,500 for the RS400? Aarg! I just bought mine from AVScience two weeks ago and paid $400 more than that!
Here's the thing: I thought I was getting a steal at that price! You know what, I was. This is just a better steal.
-Pete
Exactly why so let's stop it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I joined the list of happy closeout sppecial priced rs400 projectors. I bought it for my son for his theater. I could not pass up the deal. I installed it today and it is really great. I used it in my theater for a few days first in place of my rs500. I could easily live with it instead of the rs500 Very similar picture except on the really black scenes. He is really impressed with it. We mounted it right next to his mitsubishi 7900 projector. The 7900 looks really nice until you compare it to the jvc. So he has the 7900 for gaming and the jvc for everything else. A perfect combo.
Now he can even watch sports with the light on it is so bright. I currently have the lens closed dow all the way on his 100 inch 1.1 gain screen.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
FYI;
AV Science is selling their last few RS400’s at $1.5k, brand new units, full warranty . That’s a great deal.
I have no connection with them at all, just saw the sale a few days ago.

I waited too long they’re all gone :(.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Here is an attempt to show how nice things look after Chadb worked on my RS400. I don't know that my Iphone and the way screen shots will show here will do justice to what I see, but here we go.

I don't know why they're sideways.....right click and open the image in a new tab. That should work.

Note: after reviewing, I'm not overly pleased with the way they show on my laptop. Maybe best to take my exuberance as testimony to his work. He made this inexpensive projector shine.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
I had another member contact me about this deal. Mine was delivered yesterday and its amazing. I wasn't going to upgrade for a while but this was too good of a deal to pass up. Mike is also very helpful, of course. Still cannot believe the deal I got. Very happy camper!:D

Yep, the RS400 I’ve had since April-2017 I have no upgrade-itis feeling at all.
It blows me away , very satisfied.
Well, when full laser light engine 4k PJ that does Rec2020 and all variants of HDR is say $5-6k then I might consider it.
Hey, more nits is a good thing. I’m guessing 2021 or 2022, 4-5 years away. The resale of the RS400 then will be $500 maybe at most.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Here's some screen shots (also via Iphone) of "Life" in 4k UHD, after Chad's calibration.

I'd say there's a little bit of white crush going on in these pics that isn't on the screen, but still, I think you can get the gist of how nice things turned out on my RS400.

"Life" looks great on 4K. Good movie too, though I wouln't call it original in concept. The ending makes it worth the price of admission.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a heads up to anyone who has issues playing 3D files (MKV M4V etc) on their JVC...

I originally posted messages on the Denon X-series AVR thread (I have an X1300W) because 3D files played fine over Roku Media Player, PLEX (on Roku) and Sony UBP-X800 UHD player via USB3 external HDD until I updated the firmware to my Denon.

I ended up with a nice workaround: moved the HDMI cable coming into the JVC from 1 to 2, and now I just toggle EDID between A (all content) and B (3d files). 3d blurays always played without issue.

·
Registered
258 Posts
-Pete
Hi, do you know who is selling RS400, i need one.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Private Message Mike Garret here at AVS, he might still have stock.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Two issues that I'd love advice on.

Hi All,
Two issues I've had with my RS400 are bugging me a bit. Can anyone shed light on this?

First, I have not had it professionally calibrated, but I did install a custom gamma curve and have tweaked the settings the best I could with my unprofessional eye.
Still, I'm finding that the red is over-powering. Dark scenes with red lights in particular make the red lights extremely over saturated. I have found that the best picture comes from me turning down the "color" saturation quite a bit and the picture still pops. But, if anyone has had an similar experience with red, I'd love to know what they did to adjust the image.

Second, while using test images to adjust my gray scale, I displayed an all-white screen and noticed a distinct yellowing of the lower left corner of the (all white) image; appropriately 1/5th the size of the screen. See attached images. While I have not noticed this during regular use, I'm wondering if I should keep an eye on it or otherwise be concerned. Of the two images where you can see my "hands holding the camera" shadow, the one with the more color uniformity problem is because I kicked the lamp up to high power.

Any thoughts on these two issues?
-Pete

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5343.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm sorry if this is answered somewhere else, but does this line of projector not have an automatic power down function? I have searched the manual and online for some setting that would allow for this capability to turn off after no signal is received for x time (not the sleep timer). I really wish the projector had CEC so it could power up and down with the source.
I came down to my theater the other day to find my project had accidentally been left on for about 20 hours. Ugh.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'm sorry if this is answered somewhere else, but does this line of projector not have an automatic power down function? I have searched the manual and online for some setting that would allow for this capability to turn off after no signal is received for x time (not the sleep timer). I really wish the projector had CEC so it could power up and down with the source.
I came down to my theater the other day to find my project had accidentally been left on for about 20 hours. Ugh.
I don't think it does. It should. Heck there should be option to enable an 'are you still there' message after 12 hours no matter what. There was a guy on here a week ago or so who went on vacation with the projector on...way more than 20 hours. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't think it does. It should. Heck there should be option to enable an 'are you still there' message after 12 hours no matter what. There was a guy on here a week ago or so who went on vacation with the projector on...way more than 20 hours. :rolleyes:
There's an option for that. I'm not home but there is an auto off with a message like this. I enabled it on my side and it saved me at least once with the kids forgetting the PJ on.

·
Registered
589 Posts
From the manual:

Off Timer

For setting the duration before the power turns off automatically when the projector is not operated.

0 Setting values: “Off”, “1 Hour”, “2 Hours”, “3 Hours” and “4 Hours”

But, it will show even if there is a signal. So I set it to 4 hrs and only see it during a multi movie session.

Steve

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There's an option for that. I'm not home but there is an auto off with a message like this. I enabled it on my side and it saved me at least once with the kids forgetting the PJ on.
Oh excellent. I'll have to look for this. I've been having trouble with getting the Harmony Elite (the wifi one with the wired IR emitter) to turn off the projector. I'd be nice to have a fail-safe if I forget.

4861 - 4880 of 5999 Posts