AVS Forum banner

4881 - 4900 of 6011 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
From the manual:

Off Timer

For setting the duration before the power turns off automatically when the projector is not operated.

0 Setting values: “Off”, “1 Hour”, “2 Hours”, “3 Hours” and “4 Hours”

But, it will show even if there is a signal. So I set it to 4 hrs and only see it during a multi movie session.

Steve
Thank you so much. I thought that was a once-per-session timer. Glad to hear it will set the shutoff timer each time the PJ is turned on.

Any idea why JVC didn't incorporate CEC HDMI control?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thank you so much. I thought that was a once-per-session timer. Glad to hear it will set the shutoff timer each time the PJ is turned on.

Any idea why JVC didn't incorporate CEC HDMI control?
No idea sadly...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi all,
Does anyone have any comments on whether the discoloration in the lower left is within normal specs?
-Pete

Hi All,
Two issues I've had with my RS400 are bugging me a bit. Can anyone shed light on this?

First, I have not had it professionally calibrated, but I did install a custom gamma curve and have tweaked the settings the best I could with my unprofessional eye.
Still, I'm finding that the red is over-powering. Dark scenes with red lights in particular make the red lights extremely over saturated. I have found that the best picture comes from me turning down the "color" saturation quite a bit and the picture still pops. But, if anyone has had an similar experience with red, I'd love to know what they did to adjust the image.

Second, while using test images to adjust my gray scale, I displayed an all-white screen and noticed a distinct yellowing of the lower left corner of the (all white) image; appropriately 1/5th the size of the screen. See attached images. While I have not noticed this during regular use, I'm wondering if I should keep an eye on it or otherwise be concerned. Of the two images where you can see my "hands holding the camera" shadow, the one with the more color uniformity problem is because I kicked the lamp up to high power.

Any thoughts on these two issues?
-Pete

View attachment 2339668

View attachment 2339670

View attachment 2339672

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Hi all,
Does anyone have any comments on whether the discoloration in the lower left is within normal specs?
-Pete
Do you have Fine Pixel Adjustment turned on, by any chance?

·
Registered
336 Posts
As a matter of fact, I do... and recently too. I was looking at my convergence and noted it wasn't quite perfect, so added a bit of fine pixel adjustment.
And, I used the "whole picture" setting, not the individual grids. What are you thinking, Dominic?
-Pete

Do you have Fine Pixel Adjustment turned on, by any chance?

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
As a matter of fact, I do... and recently too. I was looking at my convergence and noted it wasn't quite perfect, so added a bit of fine pixel adjustment.
And, I used the "whole picture" setting, not the individual grids. What are you thinking, Dominic?
-Pete
Try turning it off and see if that makes any difference to the yellow patch.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Try turning it off and see if that makes any difference to the yellow patch.
Turning it off doesn't help; nor does tweaking convergence separately for those areas. But, I'm still curious as to whether others see this. Since I'm covered under a warranty, I'd like to know whether this is within expected tolerances or not.

-Pete

·
Registered
147 Posts
Doing some testing on my rs400 that has some gamma settings already on it. Should I be using rec709nf for sdr and Bt2020 for hdr? Also in my mpc level settings 4k eshift is on, and all the settings are locked and I can't change anything except enhance which is on 5. Any ideas on that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
You will need to do some sort of calibration to get the pj dialed in for your particular screen and system. Lots of choices there, you can get in as deep as you want, and there are also highly recommended professional ISF calibrators that can dial everything in perfectly. I just did it myself using the AVS Calibration disk from a while ago. Search the forums.

We are running basically the same size screen, and it's a great fit for this pj in my opinion. You will end up running a "Constant Image Height" or CIH setup, where for 16:9 material you will have black bars on the sides, and for 2.35:1 material and similar you will use your entire screen area. Set up multiple zooms in the memory, and it's easy to get back and forth with the remote. I have memories for 16:9, 2.35, Netflix 4K, and 2.4, but you can do whatever. There's only 4 memory slots. This is a motorized dead reckoning zoom, not a digital memory zoom, so it will drift over time and you might have to reset every few months. That's been my experience. Works great, though, and I love my setup. The only drag, besides the not great gamma setup for 4K, is the long sync times, but I've gotten used to it. Great PJ, nice choice!
Why the different memories for Netflix, 4k, etc. What's the difference in example Netflix

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm late to the party, I have recently bought a 4K HDR media player, I changed the RS400 color profile to BT2020 then play some 4K HDR contents from my 4K HDR media player, tried both media player connect through AVR as well as connect directly to RS400, if the media player HDR mode set to HDR, it shows HDR flag under information, but the image looks dim and dull, it must be set to SDR then only the images looks very vibrant and vivid, any ideas how to fix this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm late to the party, I have recently bought a 4K HDR media player, I changed the RS400 color profile to BT2020 then play some 4K HDR contents from my 4K HDR media player, tried both media player connect through AVR as well as connect directly to RS400, if the media player HDR mode set to HDR, it shows HDR flag under information, but the image looks dim and dull, it must be set to SDR then only the images looks very vibrant and vivid, any ideas how to fix this issue?
Literally the post above yours is my link talking about custom curves for HDR (the fix to 90% of dark issues). Chances are you're on Gamma D which is the default on the RSx00 projectors and is dark and terrible. Check out my custom curve guide and go from there. It may not be your exact final solution since streamers can act a bit differently but it is necessary for proper HDR.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Why the different memories for Netflix, 4k, etc. What's the difference in example Netflix

When watching a Netflix 4k stream (through my ROKU Premiere +) the content is usually in 16:9, but because it's 4k it doesn't fill my screen vertically. I have to zoom the image larger, so keep a memory slot for that.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Question how important is it to have my RS 400 calibrated and what I mean is will it benefit a projector more then a flat panel TV. This things got a lot of adjustments
And I have played with settings a little bit and I can tell you I'm very impressed with my first project of course there are projectors that are much better but you would need to dig deep into your wallet and that's something I can't do just yet.this is fine for me right now my next bit of money I save will go for a oppo 203 so I can take it vantage of watching UHD 4K movies I have a 103d.like i said I'm new to this type of technology any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated I am going to paint the ceiling darker because it is blazing white bright white so I'm going to change that today and once again thanks Mike for the smoking hot deal on this projector

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Question how important is it to have my RS 400 calibrated and what I mean is will it benefit a projector more then a flat panel TV. This things got a lot of adjustments
And I have played with settings a little bit and I can tell you I'm very impressed with my first project of course there are projectors that are much better but you would need to dig deep into your wallet and that's something I can't do just yet.this is fine for me right now my next bit of money I save will go for a oppo 203 so I can take it vantage of watching UHD 4K movies I have a 103d.like i said I'm new to this type of technology any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated I am going to paint the ceiling darker because it is blazing white bright white so I'm going to change that today and once again thanks Mike for the smoking hot deal on this projector
A good calibration will ensure whatever display you have will have the most accurate and 'correct' image possible. The RSx00 projectors (RS400/RS500/RS600) look amazing right out of the box for HD and 3D but they were released before any 4K content was available. They have a very broken and flawed HDR system which means that out of the box, most 4K HDR movies will look broken and nothing like the beautiful image you see now in HD. JVC has put out a recommended HDR settings guide that involves using Gamma D but even that is drastically flawed. With these default settings, you will never be happy with the way 4K HDR looks, this is not hyperbole.

Thankfully, members on this forum discovered how to make custom gamma curves which really turned things around for most people and made the RSx00 projectors actually usable for 4K HDR content. JVC also released a calibration software program that allow you to calibrate your baseline gamma and color with an inexpensive color calibrator called a Spyder 5. Interestingly, only a year after the RSx00 projectors were released, JVC released the RSx20 projectors which had a built in 'custom curve' by default and did away with Gamma D altogether, pretty much admitting their error.

There is a TON of information on this forum regarding these things. A lot of this information is scattered quite a bit and will take you weeks and weeks to decipher and will likely leave you very confused. I have done my best to condense all this info into a handful of posts that will get you very quickly pointed in the right direction. You can choose to hire a calibrator before during or after any of these steps but whoever you hire, you MUST ensure they will create a custom gamma curve for you and fully understand the RSx00 pitfalls otherwise their services are not worth a single penny. Chad B gets talked about a lot on here. I have not used him but many RSx00 owners are happy. I am serious, if you hire someone local and you see them poking around in Gamma D, send them packing. You must make certain they fully understand these RSx00 projectors and custom gamma before they come out as it will not be an 'average' calibration.

Okay, all that out of the way, here are the DIY steps you need to take to get 4K HDR rocking on your new RS400 projector (honestly, you can just do 1 & 3 to get started):

1) Replace ALL of your HDMI cables right now, thankfully, the short ones are cheap. Many cables, including ones that say '4K compatible,' simply cannot handle the bandwidth of actual 4K HDR content. If play around with HDMI cable choice, you will lose. I have very specific recommendations that will give you no problems. More info here.

2) To fully understand how badly JVC screwed up HDR, feel free to follow their Gamma D instructions. (you can skip this step if you'd like)

3) If you ever want to watch a 4K HDR movie and be happy about it, you WILL need to at the very least load a premade custom gamma curve. Click here for more info.

4) You can also make your very own custom curve, more info on that here and here.

5) If you eventually decide you want to try the Auto Calibration with the JVC software, click here for more info.

There you go, that will get you all set for 4K HDR, everything I've said so far has pretty much unanimous agreement on the forum for squeaking out the best image on your own without paying thousands on gear. Of course, a calibrator who fully understands the RSx00 projectors can also do all of this for you.

FULL DISCLAIMER, many on this forum vehemently disagree with my next statement about 4K HDR but I (and many others) have found it to be correct after over a year of work:
Even after following the above 1-5 instructions, I still found certain 4K HDR titles to look less than desirable and quite dark no matter what I did. Most titles looked absolutely phenomenal and I was quite amazed at how great it looked but a few other titles looked very dark and was extremely unpleasant to watch, so much so that I ended up watching the regular Blu-ray for many of these few titles. I was told my calibration was broken, my calibrator was broken, my projector was broken, my player was broken, I was broken, you name it, it was broken. What I could not understand was how one title could look amazing yet another look terrible. Only 20% or so of titles seemed to look like this, the rest looked fine and it was completely random on which title would look good and which would look bad. Many of my critics on this statement have said hiring a calibrator would fix everything, but it doesn't answer why only certain titles are affected.

If you follow the steps above and find my statement to be true, the Oppo 203 has a 'Strip HDR Metadata' function. This means the UDP-203 is capable of stripping the HDR metadata from the signal while still maintaining the BT.2020 colour space output. After over a year of troubleshooting these 'dark titles' I was really tired of playing HDR roulette when purchasing new movies and finally decided "Strip HDR Metadata" was right for me. The result was every title looked great no matter what and I felt I lost absolutely nothing. I achieved this using a Panasonic UB900 & HD Fury Vertex but the Oppo 203 can do this all on its own. You can poke around in the Oppo threads to learn more about this for your specific needs should you also run into this problem.

The reason I chose to mention this issue right out of the gate is so if you experience this issue for yourself, you'll be ready.

Good luck!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well it's really not gonna make a difference until I get a Blu-ray player that's capable of playing ultra 4K Blu-ray's and HDR. Of course my 103D doesn't have the capability of doing that
And as far is HDMI cables go I'm certainly not going to replace my new 35 foot HDMI cable I just bought from blue Jean cables which is a Belden cable I do have one short cable that runs from my receiver to the Blu-ray player I can replace that. And I don't know how pioneer got away with saying that there late 2013 receiver was capable of playing ultra high definition Blu-ray's when it's blue ports are 1.4 the same as my 103D. But the main thing you're saying is I need a custom gamma curve to get the best result from HDR I'm sure or I hope I'm sure that a capable calibrator such as Chad B would probably know about this so there's two things that I need one I definitely am going to get which is an oppo 203 and have it calibrated by an experience and well-qualified calibrator. On a sidenote I painted my ceiling which was blinding white to a darker color a dark dark brown which is so dark it almost looks black what a difference that made because of white ceiling was so distracting it was like part of your eyes were watching the screen in the other part was watching the white ceiling which is probably a bad idea when you have a white 100+ inch screen that's close to the ceiling

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Well it's really not gonna make a difference until I get a Blu-ray player that's capable of playing ultra 4K Blu-ray's and HDR. Of course my 103D doesn't have the capability of doing that
And as far is HDMI cables go I'm certainly not going to replace my new 35 foot HDMI cable I just bought from blue Jean cables which is a Belden cable I do have one short cable that runs from my receiver to the Blu-ray player I can replace that. And I don't know how pioneer got away with saying that there late 2013 receiver was capable of playing ultra high definition Blu-ray's when it's blue ports are 1.4 the same as my 103D. But the main thing you're saying is I need a custom gamma curve to get the best result from HDR I'm sure or I hope I'm sure that a capable calibrator such as Chad B would probably know about this so there's two things that I need one I definitely am going to get which is an oppo 203 and have it calibrated by an experience and well-qualified calibrator. On a sidenote I painted my ceiling which was blinding white to a darker color a dark dark brown which is so dark it almost looks black what a difference that made because of white ceiling was so distracting it was like part of your eyes were watching the screen in the other part was watching the white ceiling which is probably a bad idea when you have a white 100+ inch screen that's close to the ceiling
When you connect your 4K player and start getting random drop outs or the 4K player home screen doesn’t come up just remember my post. Even BJC admits they could only get HDMI premium certification up to 15 feet and it’s not even the Belden cable (Monoprice got certified to 25). You won’t find anything about 4K HDR 4:4:4 signal compatibility when reading their site about the Belden cable. With 4K HDR HDMI, price is not an indicator of compatibility or quality. Email BJC and ask if they guarantee a 35ft Belden cable will handle 4K HDR 60Hz 4:4:4 signal with no problems, let me know what they say. I certainly know what they said to one of their buyers who spend over $300 on long Belden cables that didn’t work with 4K. Now you do too. (Click)

I’m sure BJC makes a great cable but it would really stink to find out you wasted $117.50 when you buy that 203. BJC should start selling a Fiber Optic HDMI cable immediately. I suggested it and it unfortunately went nowhere. Until they do, I cannot recommend them at all.

Yes, a custom gamma curve is what you need. I’m serious about the calibrator though. If you decide to hire someone, you need to grill whoever you find or you’ll get ripped off. I’d go so far as to say if they are not on this forum they probably have no idea how to create a custom curve (as this forum is where they originated).

I’m not trying to be rude, I just don’t want you getting screwed. You own a great projector, heed my advice, it is solid. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
When you connect your 4K player and start getting random drop outs or the 4K player home screen doesn’t come up just remember my post. Even BJC admits they could only get HDMI premium certification up to 15 feet and it’s not even the Belden cable (Monoprice got certified to 25). You won’t find anything about 4K HDR 4:4:4 signal compatibility when reading their site about the Belden cable. With 4K HDR HDMI, price is not an indicator of compatibility or quality. Email BJC and ask if they guarantee a 35ft Belden cable will handle 4K HDR 60Hz 4:4:4 signal with no problems, let me know what they say. I certainly know what they said to one of their buyers who spend over $300 on long Belden cables that didn’t work with 4K. Now you do too. (Click)

I’m sure BJC makes a great cable but it would really stink to find out you wasted $117.50 when you buy that 203. BJC should start selling a Fiber Optic HDMI cable immediately. I suggested it and it unfortunately went nowhere. Until they do, I cannot recommend them at all.

Yes, a custom gamma curve is what you need. I’m serious about the calibrator though. If you decide to hire someone, you need to grill whoever you find or you’ll get ripped off. I’d go so far as to say if they are not on this forum they probably have no idea how to create a custom curve (as this forum is where they originated).

I’m not trying to be rude, I just don’t want you getting screwed. You own a great projector, heed my advice, it is solid. :)
No I don't doubt your word you probably know a hell a lot more about this then I do. in the End it would suck when I do get a 4K player that is capable of HDR and I had a problem with the cable that wouldn't be a good thing. And I have no problems when I do decide on the calibrator to ask them specific questions that's why I come to this site because there's an old saying the only stupid question is the one you don't ask and I appreciate any info or any suggestions that people on the AVS forums can give me thanks a lot I appreciate your time and your response Rcapprotti

4881 - 4900 of 6011 Posts