AVS Forum banner

5121 - 5140 of 6004 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Some additional details:
The RSx20 has an additional HDR mode (not just the ST2084 HDR curve). The distinction is important, as if you create a custom HDR gamma curve and select it in the HDR mode, that custom curve will be used automatically whenever an HDR source is detected.
In comparison, the RSx00 only has a “Gamma D” curve, which the projector will use even when you prefer the custom curve.
Right exactly. Which is why the RSx20 models are recommended if someone wants the simplest solution possible.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Right exactly. Which is why the RSx20 models are recommended if someone wants the simplest solution possible.

I truly enjoy my RS400 PJ, but now it’s another $550 for a oppo 203 to give same usability as it should have itself , I feel cheated .
Does anyone know if JVC will do a software fix for the RSX00 models??
Have they been asked about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
I truly enjoy my RS400 PJ, but now it’s another $550 for a oppo 203 to give same usability as it should have itself , I feel cheated .
Does anyone know if JVC will do a software fix for the RSX00 models??
Have they been asked about it?

Zero chance of a software update for these models for HDR. There should have been an update when the RSx20 models came out with updated HDR modes but JVC opted not to. It stinks but it's a fact we have to live with.
Depending on your setup you may be able to just download some pre made curves and get outstanding results without buying the Oppo.
I tried the Oppo for a couple of months and liked it but now I have custom curves installed by Chad B and it looks great so the Oppo is going back.
You may also want to hang tight and wait for the Panasonic players next month. They will be a little cheaper than the Oppo and might have better results with tone mapping right away.

·
Registered
JVC RS500 | Yamaha RX-2070 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Klipsch RF-7 | Micca Ref Series Atmos | 21" Devs x 2
392 Posts
Thank you all for the input on the HDR and reliability!

Chad

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
My RS400 has been great, no issues with 1700+hrs on it.
Other than the Gamma D nonsense on a $4k PJ.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I haven't had to think about my projector for the last 18 months or so (just been using it), but as I finally decided to get a 4k player, it brought a couple things to mind. First of course is getting the color profiles and curves loaded. That's easy enough to do. The second is a problem it seemed a handful of folks witnessed on the JVCs and I'm curious if any firmware updates ever corrected it.

We all know the JVC takes a while to pair to the given input mode, but the problem is when switching back and forth on a semi-frequent basis, every once in a while the projector goes ballistic and starts through random color lines all over the screen (no image, just the lines). The only way to correct is to power cycle the projector, which of course means waiting for the bulb cool down time and all, plus it can't be great for the bulb. I can't remember which owners thread I saw some other folks talking about it, but does anyone know if there have been any firmware updates that might have addressed it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I haven't had to think about my projector for the last 18 months or so (just been using it), but as I finally decided to get a 4k player, it brought a couple things to mind. First of course is getting the color profiles and curves loaded. That's easy enough to do. The second is a problem it seemed a handful of folks witnessed on the JVCs and I'm curious if any firmware updates ever corrected it.

We all know the JVC takes a while to pair to the given input mode, but the problem is when switching back and forth on a semi-frequent basis, every once in a while the projector goes ballistic and starts through random color lines all over the screen (no image, just the lines). The only way to correct is to power cycle the projector, which of course means waiting for the bulb cool down time and all, plus it can't be great for the bulb. I can't remember which owners thread I saw some other folks talking about it, but does anyone know if there have been any firmware updates that might have addressed it?
Yes this is a really annoying issue that still pops up occasionally for me as well. For me it seems to happen when I add a new device to the chain or when I upgrade firmware on a device like a blu ray player.
I just recently added the Oppo and had this problem when I upgraded the Oppo's firmware.
As far as I know there is no firmware fix for this. Some people say that turning off CMD fixes it but it is off in my unit and I still have the problem.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yes this is a really annoying issue that still pops up occasionally for me as well. For me it seems to happen when I add a new device to the chain or when I upgrade firmware on a device like a blu ray player.
I just recently added the Oppo and had this problem when I upgraded the Oppo's firmware.
As far as I know there is no firmware fix for this. Some people say that turning off CMD fixes it but it is off in my unit and I still have the problem.
I had intentionally set most of my equipment to the same output format so that I didn't have too much trouble switching. Having the 4k player which switches to the various frame rates and such depending on the disk being played means a lot more re-syncs, and probably more of that issue cropping up.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

FWIW, I have never once ever had this issue and I cycle between 4K & HD all the time. I do have CMD off, shut it off within 1 hour of first ever power-on. I think I'm at 1800 hours or so.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Hi guys. Does anybody know if they make an HDMI support clamp that fits the screws at the hdmi connectors on the back of our projectors? Is that what those are for? I remember Epson included some plastic ones that shipped with their 5020. They just help support the connection so a heavy cable doesn't put too much pressure on the connector(weighing or pulling down). I searched but couldn't find anything.

BTW, I finally was able to upload 3 new gamma curves saved in Custom 1, 2 and 3. I have a favorite but can't remember now if it was Jav's, Manni's or whos.....but night and day difference to gamma D. My projector(X550R) doesn't default to gamma D like I thought I had read........it powers on and plays with last selected.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
FWIW, I have never once ever had this issue and I cycle between 4K & HD all the time. I do have CMD off, shut it off within 1 hour of first ever power-on. I think I'm at 1800 hours or so.
I think 4k 60 content (directv roku) is what causes this thats when it happens to me anyway

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had a strange thing happen last night while watching a movie...the screen went dark as the audio continued on from the movie. A quick look back at my PJ and I see that it is off while all three indicator lights are on, Standby/On, Lamp & Warning. Standby/On is solid red, Lamp is flashing orange and Warning is flashing red...the flashing lights are flashing 3 times and then repeating. Great! - the PJ is only 4 months old :(

Page 75 of the manual says "abnormal circuit operation"...while the cooling fans were operating, I checked this thread as well as the thread for the 500/600 and found a couple of posts. I followed the advice of the lone post on this thread and did a "reset" of the PJ by disconnecting the power, pressing the Standby/ON button on the PJ once and then let the PJ sit overnight. Today I went ahead and pressed the Standby/On button again and then connected the power cord and hoped for the best. Thankfully, it turned on and all is right with the world! :)

While researching this issue, the next step would have been re-seating the lamp or trying a new lamp per JVC service. It doesn't look like this happens very much in either thread so I am hopeful this is a one off...

I hope this helps someone...:)
Hi All

Got my new DLA-RS400U last week.

Had several occasions where the projector wouldn't startup properly: no light inside lens and two red lights on with orange flashing. I called JVC (was a Saturday). They said try a reset (disconnect power, press standby button once) then plug it back in. This worked the second time I did it, but had the same issue several times over next few days,

JVC called me this morning and said they have seen this one one other customer, but don't know what's causing it. The guy I spoke to said it seems the build is failing to spark. He also said the other user "solved" it by removing an reinserting the bulb. Mine's been OK for the last few days, but I have to notify them and try the bulb re-seat if it happens again.

Just a heads up in case you see the same. You should definitely notify JVC if you do
Hi, I have an X5000 with about 350 hours of operation. Yesterday I turned on the VPR according to the standard procedure and after the projection of the D-ILA mark, the standby led began to flash, as when it was turned off and then it became solid red. I repeated the operation for many times but always the same result. Immediately after the wording D-ILA the led turns red flashing and after about 3 minutes becomes fixed. What can it be?
Help me! Thanks
Hi Guys,

This has started happening to me and I am a little concerned. I bought my x550r back in October used with about 1600 hours on the original lamp. Back in January I had one instance of this kind of behavior where I turn on the projector, I get a green light on front that it is starting up but the bulb doesn't light and I get the flashing red and orange lights. Then I had 5 months more of perfect performance until very recently where it seems that every night I have to go through this. Usually I just need to power it on again via the remote and it eventually starts up. Any idea what is happening here and what can be done about it? The warranty of course expired back in March so I can't try to file a claim (the original owner I bought it from offered to help should any warranty work be needed since it isn't transferrable). I had it calibrated back in January by ChadB and I don't want to lose the calibration. Would following the reset process outlined by @laugsbach above wipe my calibration? Looking for help here...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
So things went from bad to worse to maybe better. Friday night my PJ lamp would not light no matter what I did. Every time I tried to power it up the light would turn green like normal but the lens would never open up and eventually the red and amber lights would start flashing. I eventually unplugged it and left it until today. I spent a good part of yesterday researching in this and the RS500/RS600 thread as a number of members there have suffered similar issues. Someone mentioned (maybe Mike Garrett) suggested re-seating the lamp. So today I first tried just plugging it back in and trying to start it again as usual but once again it would not light. So then I got my screwdriver, pulled out the lamp and confirmed it looked fine and put it back in. This time it fired back up and I am now streaming Planet Earth II from Netflix. Hooray for now and we will see how long this lasts.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Signal dropouts with Apple TV 4K

I'm having a frustrating problem with my RS400 and an Apple TV 4K. I've been trying to troubleshoot this for a while but so far I haven't hit on a solution, though I've narrowed it down. I'll summarize here.

JVC RS400 projector, Sony STR-DN1080 receiver. Sources include Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Dune Solo 4K. All sources are connected to the receiver with high-speed 6-foot HDMI cables.

An 11-year-old 25-foot Monoprice non-high-speed HDMI cable, run from the receiver to the projector, works fine with all content and all sources, but it won’t pass 4:4:4 so all sources have to be configured for 4:2:0.

A new 25-foot Monoprice high-speed HDMI cable passes 4:4:4 and works fine with all sources except the Apple TV. With the ATV there are intermittent signal dropouts and glitches regardless of content. It happens with 4:4:4 and 4:2:0, it happens with HDR and SDR, it happens with 2160p and 1080p and 720p.

Replacing the 25-foot new Monoprice cable with a 6-foot new Monoprice between the receiver and the projector does not solve the problem. The same dropouts are seen (so the cable length and the cable itself seem not to be issues here).

But running a new cable directly from the Apple TV to the projector, bypassing the Sony receiver entirely, eliminates the problem. Unfortunately that’s not a practical solution because I need the switching and audio decoding that the receiver provides.

I have a “Genius Bar” appointment scheduled with Apple to ask about this but I think it’s unlikely they’ll be able to reproduce the problem without my unique device configuration. I’d like to just try a new unit in case mine is a little flakey, but Apple won’t do that.

If someone here has suggestions about how to proceed, I'd appreciate the advice. Using 4:2:0 instead of 4:4:4 isn’t horrible but it’s not the best, and it really shouldn’t be necessary.

Thanks.

5121 - 5140 of 6004 Posts