AVS Forum banner

5661 - 5680 of 6036 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Maybe I didn’️t explained myself so well, I don’️t have a problem with the lumens, the image is bright enough but the picture looks very white and the colors looks very dry...
Yeah I’️m always changes the iris to manual and change between 0-12 depends to the content but the picture still looks very white and the colors looks very dry...
How did you do your HDR calibration? The AVS disc is for SDR only.

I’️m not exactly sure what you mean by white and dry.
I did not do calibration with disc or sensor just changed to the recommended settings for hdr that AVS post in the review of the projector

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
I did not do calibration with disc or sensor just changed to the recommended settings for hdr that AVS post in the review of the projector
And the review didn’t provide any recommended settings for SDR?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I just got a graphics card that's powerful enough for 4K gaming
Will my PC recognize the X5000 as a 4K device so that the 3860x2160 resolution is available in the GPU settings?
Seeing as the X5000 is fake 4K

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
I just got a graphics card that's powerful enough for 4K gaming
Will my PC recognize the X5000 as a 4K device so that the 3860x2160 resolution is available in the GPU settings?
Seeing as the X5000 is fake 4K
Yes

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking at a used DLA-RS400. $1500 with celing mount and 5'X10' Elite Screen.

Any problem areas I should lookout for?

I don't have hours or details on the screen and mount yet. I'll post when he replys.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I'm looking at a used DLA-RS400.
I recently sent this to another forum member, it gives you a brief history, some things to do when you get it and what to look for when purchasing. There is a lot of info here but its a pretty good summary of this entire thread to this point. Do not let this post get you overwhelmed, the RS400 is probably the best value there is right now, especially at the price you found it at. Configured the way I recommend, you will be very happy with your purchase.

Super short history:

The RSx00 projectors came out a few months before 4K discs and players. Once content was available 4K didn't look all that great. JVC provided a loadable BT2020 color profile (90% sure this is already loaded) and provided 'recommended settings' for Gamma D. Every time you loaded a 4K/HDR disc or 4K/HDR stream the projector detects HDR and switches to Gamma D and you're then supposed to select a user preset that has the BT2020, iris and the rest of the picture mode settings and away you go. Such was life for about 10 months.

Then JVC released the RSx20 projectors (which should have been a firmware update IMO) that loaded a "JVC HDR GAMMA" profile and made some other minor updates including lower lag for gaming. With the new RSx20 projectors, when 4K/HDR is detected it flips to the JVC HDR GAMMA curve which is much better than Gamma D...significantly massively better (no hyperbole).

Around this time forum members smarter than either of us started poking around in the JVC software and found the ability to make and load gamma curves similar to the JVC Curve from the RSx20 projectors into the RSx00 projectors. Many people started making custom curves using meters and test images and such. Others made available very good generic 'premade' gamma curves, all of which are superior to the JVC HDR GAMMA curve...slightly better, but still better.

Once I found out that RSx20 users were loading premade curves also (because they were better than the JVC curve) I had zero desire to upgrade my RS400. When the RSx40's came out and were pretty much more of the same, I had no itch. The new NX5/7/9 projectors are supposed to be a 'huge leap' but according to some that have compared them the difference is noticeable but not worth the price jump, and for what RS400's are selling for today, they are clearly the best value when properly configured and paired with the right Blu-ray player (Panasonic UB820).

3D is amazing on these projectors. Truly. I prefer it to 4K. The emitter (pk-em2) is on eBay for $70 and you can use almost any brand glasses, I'm using Samsung glasses that were $11.

Genuine lamps are ~$500 from a dealer but can be had when they occasionally (rarely) come up online. I picked up a genuine spare for about $250.

Proper configuration:

1) Be certain to only use quality HDMI cables that actually say "Premium Certified", I ONLY recommend these cables, if you mess around with cabling you will have problems. I made a post about HDMI cables here.

2) If you are going to use 4K Blu-ray discs, buy the Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray player, nothing else. The UB820 has an HDR Optimizer and a HDR Conversion that no other player offers (except the more expensive UB9000). Configured the way I recommend, the UB820 doesn't send a "HDR" signal to the projector so it doesn't flip to Gamma D. Selecting the "4K" user preset, again set the way I recommend, will load all the 4K settings you need. The UB820 is still sending a full range image, its just decoding the HDR inside the player. Click here for instructions on properly setting up the RS400 & UB820 for 4K disc content.

3) With the RS400, if it sees HDR it will flip to Gamma D. You then press the Gamma button on the remote and it will jump to the custom gamma slot. If you stream 4K, you will want to make sure you have a premade gamma curve loaded in that custom slot. Click here for instructions to set up custom gamma on the RS400.

With discs on the UB820 this will not affect you'll affect you, but if you stream it will come up. Not a big deal, you just press the gamma button, but some people are annoyed by it. There is a product called a HD Fury Vertex that stops the Gamma D behavior but I sold mine after buying the UB820 and I don't recommend buying that. Again though, I sold my Vertex and I'm perfectly happy. These last two items might be too much in the weeds but I just want you to have all the info you need.

What to look for when buying:

I'd be sure to get any documentation you can about how he set it up; mainly what gamma curves are loaded. There might be more than one and the RS400 just says "Custom 1, Custom 2, Custom 3" so unless you're told you won't know. Have him show you SDR content and the settings he uses, and then HDR and the settings he uses. If he paid for calibration, see if there is documentation direct from calibrator you can have too. Ask if he ran the JVC Calibration Software on his computer, if he did, request the original configuration settings on a USB drive or something.

If you can, I'd recommend going at night so its dark out (unless he has a pitch black home theater), hitting the 'hide' button (this is a blackout button) on the remote and sitting in the dark for a couple minutes to let your eyes adjust and then get a couple feet from the screen and look for stuck-on pixels. My first RS46, then the first RS400 projectors both had stuck-on blue pixels. The RS46 pixel was in an area by the corner and didn't bother me (asked and got a discount) but the RS400 one was in the center and I had it swapped. You'll need a solid white image if you want to test stuck-off pixels.

I'm not sure how big of a deal that last bit is to you, but it's one of those things that if you notice after you buy it might send you into orbit.

Any Sony Blu-ray disc has a secret test pattern menu by quickly pressing 7669 on the title menu, this includes solid colors including white black blue green red, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
30,117 Posts
no Atmos from Netflix or any other streaming app.
It does do Atmos from Netflix, although some people can’t get it, for some strange reason.
That's... weird. Looks like only a few people are getting this? Has anyone actually gone and put their ears up to the various speakers to see if they're actually getting Atmos audio (not just 5.1) and confirmed there's not just a weird issue with a metadata flag triggering Atmos on the AVR?

If it's actually Atmos, that's a pretty fortunate glitch for the lucky ones! :)
Just an FYI, I picked up a UB820 for a nice price off the AVS classifieds, haven't gotten deep into testing it yet vs my Sony X800 but I was happy to find I DO get Atmos with Netflix. Surprised Netflix hasn't updated this on their official devices list. For the record, I have a Denon X8500H for my AVR with the JVC RS400. A nice extra notch in the belt for the UB820.

Netflix 4K video quality seems as good as the AppleTV 4K, which is very good. I really like the feature on the UB820 where it can output all Netflix streams at the same video settings (e.g. SDR.BT2020) regardless of the stream. Big help since the JVC doesn't do the annoying black-out for 5-10 seconds when you are toggling around to different Netflix content. HD SDR streams output as SDR.BT2020 looked perfect with my JVC set to calibrated HDR mode (i.e. D65, 2.4 Gamma) and the color gamut switched from the calibrated Rec.709 to BT2020, perhaps even a little more saturated with more pop than SDR.Rec709 outputs (not sure if it's the UB820 doing some magic or just the different color gamut calibrations in the PJ).

I haven't dug into the HDR optimizer / dynamic range settings much yet but just set it to output SDR.BT2020 and set the main system HDR TV Type setting for Basic Luminance LCD and Projector. Outputting 4K HDR discs this way, with my PJ set to the calibrated 2.4 SDR Gamma and BT.2020 color space, the picture overall looked too dark and there were some color shifts in bright red/orange tones. As a reminder, I have a very good pro calibrated custom HDR gamma so I'm confident my frame of reference is accurate in this respect.

I borrowed a couple of 4K HDR discs from a friend so I could have two copies to compare (one in the Sony X800 and one in the Panny UB820) and be able to flip back and forth.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Netflix 4K video quality seems as good as the AppleTV 4K, which is very good. I really like the feature on the UB820 where it can output all Netflix streams at the same video settings (e.g. SDR.BT2020) regardless of the stream. Big help since the JVC doesn't do the annoying black-out for 5-10 seconds when you are toggling around to different Netflix content.
If you turn off the Match Range option on the ATV4K, that will also avoid the black-out.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
......I really like the feature on the UB820 where it can output all Netflix streams at the same video settings (e.g. SDR.BT2020) regardless of the stream.....HD SDR streams output as SDR.BT2020 looked perfect with my JVC set to calibrated HDR mode (i.e. D65, 2.4 Gamma) and the color gamut switched from the calibrated Rec.709 to BT2020, perhaps even a little more saturated with more pop than SDR.Rec709 outputs (not sure if it's the UB820 doing some magic or just the different color gamut calibrations in the PJ).......
You might want to search Claw's posts in the 820 thread. According to his testing, Netflix, when set to SDR BT2020 is actually outputting REC709 - even with the most recent firmware. Prime Video does output SDR BT2020 correctly.

Pip

·
Registered
30,117 Posts
If you turn off the Match Range option on the ATV4K, that will also avoid the black-out.
Yes, that's correct and I do that with my ATV4K. I have it set to output 4K SDR for all content which outputs streaming sources as 4K resolution with SDR + REC709 color space. The downside is I lose out on wide color gamut for content that supports it, but the ATV4K doesn't have an SDR.BT2020 option.

You might want to search Claw's posts in the 820 thread. According to his testing, Netflix, when set to SDR BT2020 is actually outputting REC709 - even with the most recent firmware. Prime Video does output SDR BT2020 correctly. Pip
I believe that's true, it's outputting REC709 in a BT2020 container. However, with the color gamut set to my calibrated REC709 setting everything looks obviously desaturated, whereas when I switch to the calibrated BT2020 color gamut on the RS400 it looks correct. Which is what I'd expect with REC709 being output as BT2020.

To be clear, are you saying this happens also with HDR content from Netflix as well? In other words, it's not converting to SDR while maintaining the BT2020 color gamut, but instead accessing the alternate SDR + REC709 stream for HDR content?

Relevant to both comments above -- I believe this may be a Netflix limitation where if the end client requests an SDR stream, it's getting SDR + REC709 straight from the source rather than the streaming client getting an HDR + BT2020 stream and converting to SDR.BT2020?

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Yes, that's correct and I do that with my ATV4K. I have it set to output 4K SDR for all content which outputs streaming sources as 4K resolution with SDR + REC709 color space. The downside is I lose out on wide color gamut for content that supports it, but the ATV4K doesn't have an SDR.BT2020 option.
Depending on the shows I'm watching the most at any given time, I sometimes set the ATV4K to HDR mode and have everything played as HDR. The wide colour gamut is preserved in that case.

·
Registered
30,117 Posts
Depending on the shows I'm watching the most at any given time, I sometimes set the ATV4K to HDR mode and have everything played as HDR. The wide colour gamut is preserved in that case.
Yeah, but then I have to deal with Gamma D nonsense ... personally I hate having to deal with flipping settings all the time based on the content, so for me the convenience of just letting it output 4K SDR outweighs the minor gains I'd get from the WCG/HDR stuff.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Yeah, but then I have to deal with Gamma D nonsense ... personally I hate having to deal with flipping settings all the time based on the content, so for me the convenience of just letting it output 4K SDR outweighs the minor gains I'd get from the WCG/HDR stuff.
In my case I have an HDFury Linker in the video path, which gets rid of the Gamma D issue.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
........ I believe that's true, it's outputting REC709 in a BT2020 container. However, with the color gamut set to my calibrated REC709 setting everything looks obviously desaturated, whereas when I switch to the calibrated BT2020 color gamut on the RS400 it looks correct. Which is what I'd expect with REC709 being output as BT2020.

To be clear, are you saying this happens also with HDR content from Netflix as well? In other words, it's not converting to SDR while maintaining the BT2020 color gamut, but instead accessing the alternate SDR + REC709 stream for HDR content?

Relevant to both comments above -- I believe this may be a Netflix limitation where if the end client requests an SDR stream, it's getting SDR + REC709 straight from the source rather than the streaming client getting an HDR + BT2020 stream and converting to SDR.BT2020?
I'm not an expert. Ask Claw - he is. You should post this question in the 820 thread. You can search his posts where he's gone into detail on the Netflix issue.

Pip

Here's his most recent on the subject:

If you have the UB820 in SDR/BT2020 output mode, it will do a really good job with Amazon HDR titles. Unfortunately, Netflix will output SDR/REC709 when the UB820 is in SDR/BT2020 mode. I think this is a bug that should really be fixed.....

I watch Netflix in UB820 HDR output mode with the HDR Optimzer turned ON and HDR Display Type set to Projector (500 nits). I use a 1000 nit custom Arve curve in my JVC that I think works out really well. I much prefer this for Netflix HDR over what I get from my Apple TV 4K.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, pulled the trigger on this used RS-400, looks like I've got some work to do.

RS-400 with 2934 hours, 5X10 elite screens fixed screen, and ceiling mount for $1200. Set it on a tote, fired it up, and looks great so far with just an xbox hooked up. Can't tell if there's any calibration beyond factory.

The air filter was embarassingly clogged with dust. Cleaned that immediately.

Screen looks like plain white with just a few wrinkles from being folded up. Hope those flatten out.

Peerless celing mount with extra extension poles.

This the champagne taste HT build on a beer budget!

Luckily I'm in the a large metro area. Craigslist abounds with used audiophile quality gear. There seems to be a trend of repurposing dedicated HT rooms here locally. Lots of high end gear hitting the market.

Looking at a Classe Sigma sap signal processor. I dont think it has been upgraded to atmos, ect...$1600. There's some nice phase tech speakers floating around as well. 5.2.4 is my goal sound wise. I already had 2 PBS subs, power conditioner and an 8 channel speaker craft amp that weighs like 90 pounds.

Need lots to complete.

Thanks!!!

Matt

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Okay, pulled the trigger on this used RS-400, looks like I've got some work to do.

RS-400 with 2934 hours, 5X10 elite screens fixed screen, and ceiling mount for $1200. Set it on a tote, fired it up, and looks great so far with just an xbox hooked up. Can't tell if there's any calibration beyond factory.
Sounds like a pretty good deal. Follow my instructions and you will be very happy. :cool:

·
Registered
7,712 Posts

Screen looks like plain white with just a few wrinkles from being folded up. Hope those flatten out.

Luckily I'm in the a large metro area. Craigslist abounds with used audiophile quality gear. There seems to be a trend of repurposing dedicated HT rooms here locally. Lots of high end gear hitting the market.

Looking at a Classe Sigma sap signal processor. I dont think it has been upgraded to atmos, ect...$1600. There's some nice phase tech speakers floating around as well. 5.2.4 is my goal sound wise. I already had 2 PBS subs, power conditioner and an 8 channel speaker craft amp that weighs like 90 pounds.

Need lots to complete.

Thanks!!!

Matt
Once I finally setup the Gamma curves, this Pj puts out one hell of a picture ! I’ve been streaming HDR movies as well as 4K Blu-ray‘s. I swear the picture just keeps getting better and better you’re gonna love it.

I made the upload of the curve is way too complicated in my head, don’t think about it just do his instructions say and you’ll be fine... Enjoi

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

Need lots to complete.

Thanks!!!

Matt
You got a heckuva deal! I did pretty well buying mine used too but let's just say you beat me! You may want to take some of those savings and buy a new bulb and consider a professional calibration to really make the PJ shine. I am a pretty frugal guy and I consider the money I paid ChadB to be well worth the investment. You also may want to consider a more mass market processor instead of spending the money on the Classe as the new HDMI standards are coming soon and you can get 5.2.4 with preouts covered a lot less than what the Classe will cost you. You might as well not spend as much now and have to spend more later when the new HDMI standards arrive. As a fellow frugal guy that is my opinion anyway...

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I also leave my AVT at 4K SDR, but thank to this excellent idea of Dominic's, even without a custom curve, one might want to try this if you have an 820.

The 2015 JVC projectors would switch the gamma to Gamma D on detection of HDR,...Since the UB820 HDR settings are highly customizable, one could leave the projector in Gamma D and adjust the UB820 settings to compensate.

I recently compared (simultaneously) a TCL 6 series (streaming internally), to streaming from the 820 to my RS500 using Dominic's Game D revisited settings. This combination of the 820 Optimizer and Dominic's settings yields a remarkably similar image. On a wide variety of material, colors and EOTF seem very close to the Dolby Vision Dark mode of the TCL.

It's not as good as an add-on or custom curve, but for someone who hasn't installed one, it can often yield a great image. The 820 currently won't stream Netflix HDR when set to SDR/BT2020. Without a custom curve, this can be an excellent substitute.

You can navigate to his settings through his signature

Thanks Dominic

Pip

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
It's not as good as an add-on or custom curve, but for someone who hasn't installed one, it can often yield a great image. The 820 currently won't stream Netflix HDR when set to SDR/BT2020. Without a custom curve, this can be an excellent substitute.
I'm glad you like the custom settings.

Most of the HDR custom curves "floating around" were designed for 1000 nits or 4000 nits. If you set the UB820 for 500 nits displays, there may be too much roll-off in the highlights due to double tone-mapping.

I have uploaded two curves that contain minimal tone mapping. They should produce brighter highlights with the UB820, at the expense of reduced gradation.

5661 - 5680 of 6036 Posts