AVS Forum banner

5681 - 5700 of 6036 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
USC1995

THANKS! I like showing the wife posts that confirm my CL deal getting prowess!

I've moved on from the Classe AVR as it didn't have the atmos upgrade.

Currently looking at a Yamaha RX-A3040 with atmos firmware. I can run 7.2.4 using an existing speaker craft 8 ch amp I have.

Also a set of Mordaunt-Short THX 7.1 Speakers - $750 locally.

As for the rest of you, way over my head!

Current inputs for the projector are an xbox and Cox Contour wireless streaming box that I can't get to work. With Amazon Prime.

Need to figure out a good streaming service

Missed on some Oppo DVD players cheap last weekend.😟

Obviously I've got some work to do.

Thx,

Matt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone -

This being my first post, I had submitted a longer post and don't see it showing up after about 30 minutes. I wanted to send another one to see if it just takes awhile for it to post to go through moderator before I re-did the other post. So consider this a test case...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well apparently I hit wrong button on the first post, sorry about the test above!

I just wanted to say thank you to Dominic and Dreamliner. Because of you I now have my x550 running HDR and the picture looking great! I had given up on it for a few years and just put through my ATV 4k using the non-HDR setting. Thanks to your recommendations I went out and bought the Panasonic UB820, loaded a few custom curves and pictures is awesome! Now my only challenge is the dreaded Gamma D going back automatically when using my ATV4k. But thanks to Dominic's suggestion I just ordered the HD Fury Linker and that will solve that problem!

My only question is I went cheaper on my screen a few years back and have a Elite Screens Sable Frame 2, 138-INCH DIAG. 2.35:1 screen that CineWhite with 1.1 gain. I have a dedicated theater room so ambient light is not an issue. I have a 7.4.2 atmo system so sound is amazing and now with the x550 pumping HDR really happy. Would I notice a substantial difference if I upgraded screens? If so to what?

Also, for anyone interested RedBox is now testing renting 4k Blu Rays in a few areas. Lucky enough I am one of them and love this option! $2.50 a night I get to watch the best source possible in a 4k disc and since I don't re-watch many movies a huge bonus for me since other alternative was buying them! Not great selection yet but bet will come.

Finally, I can't find a calibrator in Iowa that seems to know these JVC projectors. If anyone has a recommendation I'd love to have it!

Thanks again Dominic, Dreamliner and everyone else on here for their contributions. Been huge for me to get my theater to an awesome place!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dominic what setting do you use on the HD Fury for connecting the Apple TV 4K to the x550? Just got mine in mail and noticed different settings you can do. I’m excited to get the default to Gamma D gone. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Dominic what setting do you use on the HD Fury for connecting the Apple TV 4K to the x550? Just got mine in mail and noticed different settings you can do. I’m excited to get the default to Gamma D gone. Thanks!
I just use the default setting other than checking the option to disable HDR.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
So you you do not change anything on the HD Fury and set the Apple TV to be on the 4k SDR setting?
The ATV has to be on the HDR setting. The HD Fury blocks the metadata so the projector does not switch to Gamma D. The user has to select an picture mode manually according to the source Dynamic Range.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi, my X5000 after re-run the autocal after 100 hours, if I switch on the CMD to low, it crushes the black, OFF it, then all the black details are back to normal, happen to all calibration either SDR or HDR

I have run the autocal for both CMD on and off, and re-do it after seeing the crush black, but same result after re-run the autocal.

Also, if anyone using a HDfury Linker here, does your Linker giving problem for the HDMI handshake? Mine on fw ver 0.23 and 0.24 had been very unstable lately (using since 2016), the projector does received signal but no picture showing (the JVC 4k24p indicator did show up), just blank black screen.

I have since remove the Linker to the chain and the signal is all good but I misses the auto iris of 4k source.

Any help here?

·
Registered
283 Posts
The ATV has to be on the HDR setting. The HD Fury blocks the metadata so the projector does not switch to Gamma D. The user has to select an picture mode manually according to the source Dynamic Range.
Just FYI, the Apple TV does not have to be set to HDR and can be left on 4K SDR in order to stream HDR content as long as the Match Content setting is enabled. The menus, games and so forth will be in SDR but the rest will be in HDR. You also do not have to select the "Enable HDR" mode in the Apple TV as well.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Just FYI, the Apple TV does not have to be set to HDR and can be left on 4K SDR in order to stream HDR content as long as the Match Content setting is enabled. The menus, games and so forth will be in SDR but the rest will be in HDR. You also do not have to select the "Enable HDR" mode in the Apple TV as well.
I didn’t know that. Nice tip. Thanks. Should post this in the ATV thread also.

Thanks.

Pip

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
I didn’t know that. Nice tip. Thanks. Should post this in the ATV thread also.

Thanks.

Pip
You can set the ATV in either SDR or HDR mode, and it will automatically switch modes according to the source. The reason I avoided this approach is to eliminate the long resync every time the show/movie starts.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
So I just set up my Panasonic UB820 to the recommended settings, but it only seems to be able to put out a 1080p 24fps 12 bit YUV color space picture. I can’t seem to get it to send 4k.

I have 4k eshift set to on and original resolution set to Auto. In the setup hdmi menu, when I try to force 4k, it will do a test and revert back to 1080p.

Could this be a limitation of my 45’ monoprice cabernet active cable, or do I likely have something set wrong? Panasonic to Marant SR8012, Marantz to projector.

Edit: Hmm, when I connect the Panasonic directly to the 45’ monoprice cabernet, bypassing the Marantz, it goes into 4k 60hz 4:4:4 instantly. So it seems the issue is some setting or lack of pass through in the Marantz 8012.

Edit 2: After having the Panasonic directly connected and having success with 4k 60hz 4:4:4, then powering down and unplugging everything and routing back through the receiver, everything now works perfectly. Strange, but I’ll take it!

Edit 3: So when I turn zone 2 on in the Marantz to pass the original hdmi audio to my secondary receiver, an Onkyo TX-NR3010 that extracts front heights, wides, and two more subwoofer channels, I lose the 4k image and get a blank screen. When I turn zine 2 off, it comes back on in 4k. More work to do.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Earlier in this thread it was talked about having to download a BT2020 update to send to the projector. Is the BT 2020 profile that’s already loaded in the projector inaccurate?

Also, am I supposed to keep switching between BT 2020 and standard when I switch from a 4K disc to a 1080 disc?
The earlier projectors did not have the BT2020 profile, but later ones have it preloaded. The profile is the same in either case.

For 4K discs it’s not just the colour profile that’s different; you also need to have a different Gamma, and different iris and possible lamp power settings. It’s much easier to configure a User Picture Mode for that.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
..... Also, am I supposed to keep switching between BT 2020 and standard when I switch from a 4K disc to a 1080 disc?
....For 4K discs it’s not just the colour profile that’s different; you also need to have a different Gamma, ..... It’s much easier to configure a User Picture Mode for that.
Yes, you do need to use BT2020 for 4K discs, and Standard for all other discs. As Dominic says, the easy way to do this is to set up one of your six User Picture modes with all the settings for 4K from the 820. (You can find the proper RS400/UB820 settings earlier in the thread.) If you want you can rename your user setting "4K" or "UHD" or something, Then when playing a 4k disc, you switch to that User mode, and all the changes are taken care of for you.

Pip

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Then when playing a 4k disc, you switch to that User mode, and all the changes are taken care of for you.
A further note: the RS400 has a nasty habit of switching automatically to Gamma D when detecting HDR. The easiest way to deal with this is to set the UB820 to output SDR/BT2020, at least for watching discs.

5681 - 5700 of 6036 Posts