AVS Forum banner

5981 - 5999 of 5999 Posts

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
What do you use for HDR ?
I'm not following, HDR content comes in all sorts of aspect ratios just like non-HDR content. Are you still talking about lens memory?
Ohhh sorry about being unclear, wondering how ur RS400 handles HDR, did you load curves, are you using a Vertex type product to negate GammaD issues

·
Registered
30,002 Posts
Ohhh sorry about being unclear, wondering how ur RS400 handles HDR, did you load curves, are you using a Vertex type product to negate GammaD issues
No, I just use a UB820 to send 4K SDR + Rec.2020 on 4K HDR discs.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Gotcha

Yeah Panny tone-mapping is better than even custom Arve curves IMO.
Thats what im hearing

·
Registered
616 Posts
Any danger in continuing to use a bulb after the RS400 starts to give the “bulb replacement” message on boot up? I just did a thread search for a while and couldn’t come up with an answer. My PJ has upwards of 3400 hours on the original bulb, and on my 138” 2.35:1 CIH setup it still looks very, very bright. I do have a replacement bulb, so will replace when convenient.

Anyone get to the actual end of their bulb life? What happened?

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
Urban legend, probably based on something real, warn that the older bulbs get, the more likely they are to implode or burst....and that on some projectors that has resulted in damage to the system other than just to the bulb.

That being said, people with far fewer hours have had a bulb "explode" without permanent damage to the projector.

So, do you feel lucky?

Impressed you got that many hours out of the bulb. When I hit 1000 hours, my system struggles to reach 100 nits in high lamp mode on my 8 foot wide Seymour woven screen.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I had a Sharp DT-500 as my 1st PJ, Bulb blew up with about 100hrs on it, since then I have put massive hrs on 2 other projectors(4 bulbs) without issue.
My 400 has ~2500 on it right now, and it's still bright on low.
I have no intention of replacing it any time soon, although I am getting ready to order a new bulb to have on hand.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Wait, u mean you send 2K SDR/BT2020, which doesnt flag and bring up the dreaded gammaD, but delivers HDR ???

Or i may be wrong.......

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
Wait, u mean you send 2K SDR/BT2020, which doesnt flag and bring up the dreaded gammaD, but delivers HDR ???

Or i may be wrong.......
SDR/BT2020 is really a misnomer. When you use that option, the player (or HTPC) “handles” the HDR10 ST.2084 EOTF function and the tone mapping associated with it, so the projector does not need to “worry” about it and can use the “SDR gamma” of 2.4. However, the displayed image is the same as when you “output HDR” and have the projector handle the ST.2084 EOTF (other than one may do a better job in tone-mapping than the other).

Thus you’re not “giving up” or compromising HDR when you output SDR/BT2020.

In the case of the RS400, SDR/BT2020 has the further advantage of not triggering Gamma D.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts

Or i may be wrong.......
SDR/BT2020 is really a misnomer. When you use that option, the player (or HTPC) “handles” the HDR10 ST.2084 EOTF function and the tone mapping associated with it, so the projector does not need to “worry” about it and can use the “SDR gamma” of 2.4. However, the displayed image is the same as when you “output HDR” and have the projector handle the ST.2084 EOTF (other than one may do a better job in tone-mapping than the other).

Thus you’️re not “giving up” or compromising HDR when you output SDR/BT2020.

In the case of the RS400, SDR/BT2020 has the further advantage of not triggering Gamma D.
What in the Hell does this forum do to what we type :0/
I believe i undrtstand most of what you wrote

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
It sounds like it delivers SDR, but an improved SDR since it includes wide color and 4k resolution. This is a common and useful approach to viewing UHD content on a projector.

Or i may be wrong.......

Thus you’️re not “giving up” or compromising HDR when you output SDR/BT2020.

Which allows you to eshift or not, and engage DI or not.......

·
Registered
8,846 Posts
Are you using an Android phone? I have problems seeing the original message on a computer or on an iPad. Your posted replies turned some punctuation marks into strange character strings.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Are you using an Android phone? I have problems seeing the original message on a computer or on an iPad. Your posted replies turned some punctuation marks into strange character strings.
Its an iphone....

Do you use MaxBrightness or MaxCLL

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Do you use MaxBrightness or MaxCLL
I’️m not sure what you’️re asking. The CUSTOM HDR10 PROFILES check both Max Brightness and MaxCLL.
Did you setup all six of your custom HDR10 profiles, thats my last step, i just used my 60nit curve for all six just to have something there, and get to it later

I notice BR discs never look dull, i was streaming Netflix (Fleabag) and the HDR was a bit dim. Theres alot of info on the screen but i need to move the txt cause i watch alot of 2.35:1 and 200:1 the txt is off the screen

Setting the vertex to 19seconds works real nice on the macro tab

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Any danger in continuing to use a bulb after the RS400 starts to give the “bulb replacement” message on boot up? I just did a thread search for a while and couldn’t come up with an answer. My PJ has upwards of 3400 hours on the original bulb, and on my 138” 2.35:1 CIH setup it still looks very, very bright. I do have a replacement bulb, so will replace when convenient.

Anyone get to the actual end of their bulb life? What happened?
I was in the same boat as you and this was my result:

I just reached 4501 hours on my original lamp. My usage is mostly low lamp. 3D is always high lamp, HD is always low lamp. 4K was usually high lamp before SDR2020, now it’s usually low lamp. I honestly still have zero brightness complaints with HD or SDR2020 and would gladly keep going if I was 100% certain a lamp failure would not harm the projector. At this point I'm going to call it on this lamp (but I'll keep it as a spare). I bought a brand new genuine JVC replacement lamp from another forum member (projector died) and also got his original lamp with about 2000 hours on it. Before I open a sealed replacement, I'll run the numbers up on this "used" ~2000 hour lamp...it still has 2000+ hours of life left! :p

I think the lesson to learn here is these lamps can go quite a bit further than originally thought. I know JVC rates them for 4400 hours but I've seen posts from people looking for replacement lamps when they barely have 1000 hours on the projector. Even the automatic "replace lamp" warning comes on at only 3400 hours. My suggestion: keep running your lamps until they hit 3400 hours at minimum, but join me in the 4000+ hour club! :cool:

I've tried a few other lamps but I'm now fully convinced Genuine JVC is the only way to go.

Here are the numbers:

4501 Hours:

Low Lamp
223 Lux
754 Lumens
22.79 ftL
78.08 Nits

High Lamp
307 Lux
1039 Lumens
31.38 ftL
107.51 Nits

Replacement Genuine JVC Lamp with about 2000 Hours:

Low Lamp
250 Lux
846 Lumens
25.55ftL
87.54Nits

High Lamp
345 Lux
1167 Lumens
35.26 ftL
120.80 Nits

·
Registered
415 Posts

Can the OPPO 203 with the latest firmware do this?
I saw it's available on the setting menu but don't know if they are any good.

If they are workable, means the X5000 setting I can just let it set at SDR709 or BT2020 for colour profile and choose gamma at 2.4?

Do I have to recalibrate the projector if using these method?

5981 - 5999 of 5999 Posts