AVS Forum banner

6021 - 6036 of 6036 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hey guys, in the effort to keep wringing great performance out of these projectors I wanted to share that I have had great success with the LLDV hack described here Dolby Vision, including HDR10 conversion w/ DTM on...
There definitely needs to be a good solution for streaming; currently I am still using a premade curve when I do. Last I heard of this LLDV hack the color accuracy was way out of wack. I do think somewhere around the ATV & Vertex lies the solution. As it is, I think SDR709 can be achieved easily, but the real answer would be SDR2020 (like the UB420/820) or color accurate DV.

I'll keep a watchful eye on this as I am all for an color accurate streaming solution.

I just picked up a Sony UHD player that can output LLDV on Dolby Vision encoded bluray discs and so far those movies look awesome as well.
If color accurate DV can truly be achieved, then a UB820 would be the best player to get as it will output DV and still have SDR2020 & HDR Optimizer for titles that don't.

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,294 Posts
That's why I said to start looking now. You've got another 1000 hours at least until you should get a new lamp, that's enough time to find something. I paid less than that for all 3 of my lamps together (the two sealed brand new ones and the 2000 hour used one). I've tried many bare lamps and ZERO have been genuine USHIO. Some are better than others but none will last as long and stay as bright. In my experience they dim way sooner. I really wish there was a better solution to this, if USHIO were to sell lamps direct, they could get $250 a pop and they'd fly off the shelves. I will say though, my original lamp lasted over 3 years and was honestly still fine. Even at full price, that isn't terrible.
The bulb that came in my JVC dimmed by 25% already after 400 hours, so I would not say that is very good.

Where are you buying your bare bulbs?

The bare bulbs I’ve bought were always genuine Ushio.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The bulb that came in my JVC dimmed by 25% already after 400 hours, so I would not say that is very good.

Where are you buying your bare bulbs?

The bare bulbs I’ve bought were always genuine Ushio.
Sounds like our experiences have been pretty much opposite. I have provided brightness measurements for my genuine Ushio lamps. Somewhere on this forum I have measurements for the knockoffs, but I can't find them now.

I am also certain that every knockoff dealer tells people they are selling genuine Ushio but I have never seen one. Just recently I think I may have found someone selling genuine bulbs (they seem to be very adamant that the are, but I'm certainly not going to buy it since I can go 10,000+ hours before I'll need to buy anything).

PM me and I'll tell you how to find out if your lamp is fake or not.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Does the RS400 have 2D to 3D conversion ? From my reading of the manual and reviews it does not appear to have this capability but I hope it does.
The reason I am asking is because I have an RS400 but I have not set it up yet and can't do so for a few weeks but someone is selling a 3D emitter and glasses but I only really want them for upconverting 2D sports and don't want to waste me money if it won't do it.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Never found that feature on the rs500 so I'd be very surprised if it is on the rs400.
I read on one of the similar (maybe older) models where it explicitly says "2d-3d conversion" on the JVC specs but for the RS400 it didn't so I figured as much but just found it odd as most other 3D projectors that I have seen offer it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you can, I'd recommend going at night so its dark out (unless he has a pitch black home theater), hitting the 'hide' button (this is a blackout button) on the remote and sitting in the dark for a couple minutes to let your eyes adjust and then get a couple feet from the screen and look for stuck-on pixels. My first RS46, then the first RS400 projectors both had stuck-on blue pixels. The RS46 pixel was in an area by the corner and didn't bother me (asked and got a discount) but the RS400 one was in the center and I had it swapped. You'll need a solid white image if you want to test stuck-off pixels.
Hi Dreamliner,
I currently own an alod Panasonic 5000e thait is starting to look pretty bad after 10 years use and 4 or 5 original lamps replaced during that period of time.
I'm actually going to see a X5000 this afternoon...I quite don't understand the stuck-on pixel thing.
Will I need to display a fully black image or fully white image to try detecting stuck-on (stuck-off ?) pixels ?
Something else: I've heard people mentioning huge differences between copies of X5000 projectors, some of them having very poor contrast...have you heard of such a thing and is that something I could be able to see without any measurement equipment ? any clue on how to maximize chances of not buying a poor sample and being later disappointed ?
Thanks for you precious help

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm enough of a noob that I couldn't figure out how to even get this post into the right thread, so I'm hoping everyone here can forgive me. I have a JVC RS400u. Love everything about it except I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it into the 2.35 aspect ratio. I figured that I was just mistaken and that it didn't have that option, but I see others post about it, and I believe it mentions it in the UM, but no where in any menu, and certainly not where the other aspect ratio options are listed. Can't tell you how much I would appreciate someone with some knowledge helping in what is likely to be embarrassingly easy for you guys, but seemingly impossible for me!

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
I'm enough of a noob that I couldn't figure out how to even get this post into the right thread, so I'm hoping everyone here can forgive me. I have a JVC RS400u. Love everything about it except I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it into the 2.35 aspect ratio. I figured that I was just mistaken and that it didn't have that option, but I see others post about it, and I believe it mentions it in the UM, but no where in any menu, and certainly not where the other aspect ratio options are listed. Can't tell you how much I would appreciate someone with some knowledge helping in what is likely to be embarrassingly easy for you guys, but seemingly impossible for me!
Do you have an add on, anamorphic lens?

·
Registered
92 Posts
It will always be a 16:9 projector, so unless you have a Panamorph lens you will still project a 16:9 image.
If you have a scope screen, use the zoom so the 16:9 image is just as wide as your 2.39:1 screen and the top and bottom part of the image (black bars in a 21:9 movie) will be projected outside of the screen.
Voila :)

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
3 Posts
anamorphic lens
Given that I don't know what that is, and that I've never replaced it, I would assume the answer is no. Would that allow the theater aspect ratio? Is that projector specific? Any recommendations on which one to get? My room is pitch black, and I use a screen with curtains on the sides, so I would need to program it to be able to switch back and forth without having to fiddle with the zoom etc. each time. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It will always be a 16:9 projector, so unless you have a Panamorph lens you will still project a 16:9 image.
If you have a scope screen, use the zoom so the 16:9 image is just as wide as your 2.39:1 screen and the top and bottom part of the image (black bars in a 21:9 movie) will be projected outside of the screen.
Voila :)
I tried that, but the screen is specifically made for 2.39, so the zoom on my projector won't go any further without some serious distortion. Plus, I have curtains on the sides of the screen, and the door is just outside of that, so no go there. Sounds like I need a different PJ if I want it to do that... one can dream...

·
Registered
11,436 Posts
This projector works great with a 235:1 screen. In a sense no projector works better Though some others with power zoom, lense shift, and memory settings work just as well.

The only reason for distortion would be a Broken projector or incorrect installation.

On a wide screen movie (ie, one that had the black bars on the top and bottom like most of the Marvel movies) you just zoom until those black bars are off the screen and you are just left with the movie image on your screen.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tried that, but the screen is specifically made for 2.39, so the zoom on my projector won't go any further without some serious distortion. Plus, I have curtains on the sides of the screen, and the door is just outside of that, so no go there. Sounds like I need a different PJ if I want it to do that... one can dream...
you will zoom the image above and below the screen. Not on the left/right so shouldn’t be an issue.
If you want 2.39:1 native you have to go down the Panamorph lens route as there are no commercially available projectors for this.
Be aware, I’m talking a $6K+ add-on lens here. Not a cheap fix

·
Registered
92 Posts
Perhaps this helps;

6021 - 6036 of 6036 Posts