AVS Forum banner

6041 - 6060 of 6067 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just joined the club. Hoping to use this for a few years at least. Lot's of reading to do here to understand how to get the most from it (especially from HDR / DV MKVs).

Nice. Mine is still going strong 5 years later and still loving it. I'm hoping to get 2 more years myself before I upgrade. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Two things I would recommend- pay for a good calibration (if you don’t have that expertise) and get an HDFury device that can strip the HDR flags causing the projector to switch to Gamma D. The projector’s built in HDR handling is very frustrating but with a proper calibration and gamma curve HDR can be great.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I will definitely have it calibrated. Still working on my room build at this point. I plan on using a Shield Pro (for Plex) and a Panny UB820 for discs. I've been reading this thread and the HD Fury Vertex thread. Lots to digest. I assume its best to plug both into a Vertex 2? Is there a doc on settings for the Vertex 2 and Projector for this combination? Eventually I will build a new HTPC with MadVR (if graphic cards ever become available).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi, would someone point me in the right direction. My X550r turned on and ILA came on. After that, the standby light from green turned red and it blinks for a while before turning solid red. The warning light came on solid red. The lamp light blinks orange. The original bulb has about 2000 hours.

I contacted JVC and they immediately told me to swap out the bulb before any other diagnostic.

I went ahead and bought this Araca bare bulb from amazon. Does the polarity on the bulb matter when connecting to the terminal with the short and long wires. Would it damage in any way if the polarity was connected opposite? Would the unit still operate or would the bulb blow up?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...in_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1#customerReviews

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the response. Just found someone that was selling the original bare bulb..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi all,
Been reading a lot of info here and thanks v much to the community, amazing support. I have a X550R that I'm setting up. I have the JVC calibration software up and running. I am using a Marantz 8802A and an Apple TV.

I have a few questions, some could be difficult to answer, hope that's ok..

• I've loaded the BT.2020 colour profile and a gamma curve for 4k from one of the many provided (Manni-HDR10-EC4K.jgd). What is the richest colour profile for the projector? I know the Gamma D one is wrong but it looks like a lot more colour saturation.
  • I have a x-rite i1 display pro colour calibrator, will I be better off using the JVC software with the Spyder 5?
  • What color temp should I start with?
  • I have a Marantz 8802A, this up samples to 4K and supports HDR. I would assume the HDR is only passed through when relevant. Should I be upsampling all non 4K using the Marantz or passing through HD for the JVC to do the job using E-Shift?
  • Further to that question my Apple TV has "Match Content" and also up samples to 4K is that any good?
  • Anything else obvious I've missed?
Thanks all! Tim

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
Hi all,
Been reading a lot of info here and thanks v much to the community, amazing support. I have a X550R that I'm setting up. I have the JVC calibration software up and running. I am using a Marantz 8802A and an Apple TV.

I have a few questions, some could be difficult to answer, hope that's ok..

• I've loaded the BT.2020 colour profile and a gamma curve for 4k from one of the many provided (Manni-HDR10-EC4K.jgd). What is the richest colour profile for the projector? I know the Gamma D one is wrong but it looks like a lot more colour saturation.
  • I have a x-rite i1 display pro colour calibrator, will I be better off using the JVC software with the Spyder 5?
  • What color temp should I start with?
  • I have a Marantz 8802A, this up samples to 4K and supports HDR. I would assume the HDR is only passed through when relevant. Should I be upsampling all non 4K using the Marantz or passing through HD for the JVC to do the job using E-Shift?
  • Further to that question my Apple TV has "Match Content" and also up samples to 4K is that any good?
  • Anything else obvious I've missed?
Thanks all! Tim
When you use the downloaded gamma curve, make sure you set the Correction Value to Import.

The i1DisplayPro should be more accurate than the Spyder5 for colour calibration, but you would need the “patched DLL” to make it compatible with Autocal. The Spyder5 works well for gamma calibration.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for this. I have the calibrator working now with the i1. For the Gamma curve, I uploaded a few of these, they look way better than the G setting (much brighter). I'm not sure which to use but they all look very similar. On my JVC software I have an option only on the Gamma Data Adjust screen post upload. Changing the correction value seems to reset the curve. So I'm not sure what you mean?

·
Registered
10,389 Posts
Thanks for this. I have the calibrator working now with the i1. For the Gamma curve, I uploaded a few of these, they look way better than the G setting (much brighter). I'm not sure which to use but they all look very similar. On my JVC software I have an option only on the Gamma Data Adjust screen post upload. Changing the correction value seems to reset the curve. So I'm not sure what you mean?
I was referring to the Correction Value setting in the projector itself, not in the Autocal software.
Any uploaded (imported) gamma curve only gets used by the projector when you select Import as Correction Value.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I only have an Apple TV at the moment and I have the 3D kit for the projector and was hoping to test it out. Can you get a 3D signal working from Youtube?

Dominic, thanks for the heads up on the Gamma curve and the i1. I have both working properly now!

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
People have uploaded side by side or top/bottom 3d content to youtube, but I don't think youtube has the frame packed high quality 3d.

example:

If you find something that is side by side 3d, you will have to manually tell the JVC to interpret it as 3d once it is playing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tried a side by side one on YouTube and set the projector to this, nothing happened! Any other ideas?

·
Registered
12,659 Posts
What do you mean “nothing happened”?

The video didn’t play?

The glasses didn’t work?

You saw one blurry image instead of 3d?

You saw two images?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Guys, I have x5000 and I want to buy calibration tool, which one should I choose Spyder 5 elite or Pro? thanks for help

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Guys, I have x5000 and I want to buy calibration tool, which one should I choose Spyder 5 elite or Pro? thanks for help
same meter, just different software bundled with it, so just buy whichever is cheapest

·
Registered
100 Posts
Picture on YouTube shows two sides left and right. 3D glasses will not pair. So I’m getting no 3D. 3D format set to side by side.

6041 - 6060 of 6067 Posts