AVS Forum banner

Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread

642K views 6K replies 563 participants last post by  nathan_h 
#1 · (Edited)
Leave here your impressions and questions about this projector.

There was no official owners thread so i started one.

I just sold my sony hw55es and bought the JVC rs400.

I realy like the 2d and 3d from this new JVC..

#61 ·
Starting to think seriously about upgrading from my current RS1X to a RS400, I know it will be a huge improvement and the RS1 is getting close to EoL. One of the issues that caused a problem setting up the RS1 is that I live at 7,300 feet- had to run the lamp at low and in High Altitude Mode. How have projectors, the RS400 in particular, addressed this issue in the last few years?

#62 ·
Well what do I think of the new X5000 RS400 compaird to the X500, once I pick my jaw up from of the floor then I will tell you. It is better in every way first the 3D is amazing I use my torture disc sammy's adventure. on the X500 I can't watch it as the crosstalk is so bad, on the new X5000 there is absolutely no crosstalk and it is very bright just what the doctor ordered. For normal films it's brighter and just as good for blacks. For me the X5000 is a very very big improvement. It's also more natural looking as well.:)

#63 ·
Which way to upgrade?

I have a RS-45, Lumagen Mini right now projecting onto a Carada 110" BW screen. It is in a basement with dark walls and ceiling. I want to add more brightness to 3-D. Adding a second projector, like an Epson 2040 is cheaper than upgrading to the RS-400. Will I get the same results? I could choose a different DLP for 3-D also. I can calibrate as I have Calman enthusiast, so out of the box being off is not an issue.
Secondly, if I go the route of the RS-400, do I need to keep the Lumagen? If not, that could help to defray the cost of the new projector.

#64 ·
I have a RS-45, Lumagen Mini right now projecting onto a Carada 110" BW screen. It is in a basement with dark walls and ceiling. I want to add more brightness to 3-D. Adding a second projector, like an Epson 2040 is cheaper than upgrading to the RS-400. Will I get the same results? I could choose a different DLP for 3-D also. I can calibrate as I have Calman enthusiast, so out of the box being off is not an issue.
Secondly, if I go the route of the RS-400, do I need to keep the Lumagen? If not, that could help to defray the cost of the new projector.
I would trade in the Mini and the RS45 and get yourself a RS400/X550. It's an amazing machine compared to the older machines.

#68 ·
Anyone using the 400 in a non dedicated room?

With OLED and FALD LCD cost a projector in my living room has become a lot more appealing. I plan on calling Mike next week (we spoke via PM), but just curious if anyone is using it in the same way I would be.

During the day, there will be light, at night I run a small 40w lamp off in the corner, and for blu-ray its pitch black. I was curious if say the 1700 mode would make a good "day" calibration and then the lower lumen mode could be the "night" cal.

Here are a couple of pictures. I would be mounting on a wall shelf above our heads and behind us. I would easily be able to mount it height wise at the top of the screen. 400 to screen would be about 14 feet and I think I can go about 90" diagonal. This would be my first FP, so I am def a newb.

Other issue is I would have like a 75 foot HDMI run. Would be nice if there was a wireless solution for that.

First pic gives an idea of day time. The second pic, my current lamp bulb is not near that bright.

#81 ·
Anyone using the 400 in a non dedicated room?

With OLED and FALD LCD cost a projector in my living room has become a lot more appealing. I plan on calling Mike next week (we spoke via PM), but just curious if anyone is using it in the same way I would be.

During the day, there will be light, at night I run a small 40w lamp off in the corner, and for blu-ray its pitch black. I was curious if say the 1700 mode would make a good "day" calibration and then the lower lumen mode could be the "night" cal.

Here are a couple of pictures. I would be mounting on a wall shelf above our heads and behind us. I would easily be able to mount it height wise at the top of the screen. 400 to screen would be about 14 feet and I think I can go about 90" diagonal. This would be my first FP, so I am def a newb.

Other issue is I would have like a 75 foot HDMI run. Would be nice if there was a wireless solution for that.

First pic gives an idea of day time. The second pic, my current lamp bulb is not near that bright.
I run mine with a fair amount of ambient light. It's spectacular. The room is big and white and there's a lot of contrast killing bounce (and I project on a white wall) but at the same time the picture is quite special and bright. You can do the fancy Day / Night calibration thing but I just shoved mine in brighter mode and I don't sit in the dark. I am not using a 4k source yet because I have a 50ft hdmi run. Instead I'm using the DVDO Air3c which had a few hiccups but is now quite reliable. (You need to use HDMI 2 with EDID mode = 2 so it identifies as a 1080p projector). I don't have 4k yet, I will try it as soon as I find a halfway decent cable.

You can agonize a tonne about if the projector is right for you. Basically, you pay 4k for a 75" sony flatscreen or the same amount for the projector + install.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
#75 ·
Leave here your impressions and questions about this projector.

There was no official owners thread so i started one.

I just sold my sony hw55es and bought the JVC rs400.

I realy like the 2d and 3d from this new JVC..
Hi guys

Long time forum reader, finally decided to pull the trigger and join officially this wonderful community where I already learnt so much over the years.

I´m setting up a dedicated small cinema room, and while we still have some work to do on the room it´s time to decide on the most important thing, the PJ.

I had the chance to try the Epson 5030UB /TW9200, and loved what I saw, specially 3D (I was shocked that it was so bright, detailed, and that were no signs of ghosting, I remember I told my gf “this is the way 3D is supposed to be”), in that very same demo session I could watch the same content on a JVC RS49/X500, and still enjoyed more the image from the Epson.

Lately i´ve been presented the opportunity to buy the new JVC RS400/X5000, there is not a lot of information out there on this one and I don´t have the chance to try it myself, but i´ve been told is a very nice upgrade over the RS49/X500, especially in 3D content (and it will supposedly be way better than the 5030ub on that regard, not only in 2D).

So now i´m kind of confused, i´m very tempted on going for the JVC,I did my research back in the day on the Epson and i´m well aware on its characteristics, but there are few things I need to clarify on the JCV.

First of all I checked the official JVC.com distance calculator, I need a 16:9 -100” screen and the maximum distance pj-screen I can get is 3.15m (I have to use metric system, folks, i´m based in Europe) the JVC distance calculator is telling me I need 3.12m minimum (while the JVC Europe site tells me I need 3.01m with a +-5% variation, which is kind of more of the same distance), so to me that looks too tight, I will have to use the zoom as its maximum capability, can u guys confirm these numbers on real life are right? Will zooming so much affect the quality of the image or the duration of the lens?

More on the pj location is that I won´t be able to place it right in front of the screen center, I could only do that by mount it on the ceiling, however the distance pj-screen would be around 3m, and that apparently it won´t get me a 100” screen.So I will have to place it on a wonderful hifi table, i will need to use the lens shift function, and i´m not sure the 34% horizontal lens shift JVC provides would be good enough, in my case the projector lens would be 85-90 cm from the center of the screen (screen center is 135cm from the wall, projector lens would be 45cm from the wall) .The Epson has a 47% horizontal shift which I think it won´t be good enough either but since it´s a smaller pj it would make the ceiling installation a kid´s game.

So location is kind of a headache for me.

Secondly, what about the 3D quality?, for me this is a deal breaker, I will be watching lots of 3d movies, so I need not only top quality but also a relaxed experience (I remember the 5030ub 3D watching experience being perfect since it was like looking like a 2D image, the active glasses felt like normal glasses and the image brightness was phenomenal, however on the JC RS49 there was clearly some brightness missing, it was a nice experience, there is no bad on this product level, but the Epson was way better to my eyes).

And finally i´m worried about the input lag for games, I don´t play online, I only play offline driving games, I have a nice Playseat+Logitech Wheel and I like enjoying some races, I also play some offline sports games , not more than that, we used to play on a 2011 Led TV, with an input lag of 46s, we never felt any kind of disturbing sensation with that lag, but I read the JVC has a 120ms input lag, which is quite more than we are used to? Would that be problematic? Would it affect our gaming experience?

That is all so far, I will surely have few more doubts, ultimately I think I can manage with the PJ location, but not sure about 3D and gaming performance an, so hopefully some lucky owners will help me on that regard.

#82 ·
Mount?

Hi All

Just buying a DLA-400RS. Need a ceiling mount.

Was looking at Peerless PRG-UNV $98 and Chief RPMA281 $198

Peerless don't say it's compatible but an Amazon reviewer said it is. I'd rather trust you guys :)

It's my first ceiling mount projector, so I have a few questions

1. Will the Peerless fit?
  2. Will the Peerless fit?
  3. Is the Chief worth double the price, if so, what are the top benefits?
  4. Do I need to buy an adapter plate with either?

I'll probably be mounting through lathe and plaster to a joist. Do i need a ceiling plate?

TIA

Mark

#88 ·
Hi All

Just buying a DLA-400RS. Need a ceiling mount.

Was looking at Peerless PRG-UNV $98 and Chief RPMA281 $198

Peerless don't say it's compatible but an Amazon reviewer said it is. I'd rather trust you guys :)

It's my first ceiling mount projector, so I have a few questions

1. Will the Peerless fit?
  2. Will the Peerless fit?
  3. Is the Chief worth double the price, if so, what are the top benefits?
  4. Do I need to buy an adapter plate with either?

I'll probably be mounting through lathe and plaster to a joist. Do i need a ceiling plate?

TIA

Mark
I have the PRG-UNV with the 400, perfect fit.

1.yes
2.yes
3. i have no idea
3.no

#89 ·
Does this sound right for estimated fL's?

16:9 screen at 100"
11 foot throw
1.0 gain (not sure on true gain, going to use a Cinegray 3D screen because of ambient light)
1500 calibrated lumens for RS400

7.27'x4.08'=29.66 sqft

1500 * 1.0 / 29.66 = 50.5 fL max?

Edit, not sure thats right. Wouldn't throw distance figure in there?

#93 ·
Does anyone know if there's a way to focus using the image on the screen through a video source, rather than going to the lens shift/zoom/focus menu? I'd like to be able to focus on a specific image via a blu ray rather than the crosshatch in the focus menu.

#98 ·
Hi,
has anyone of the owners encountered some kind of frame dropping (jerky playback) with CMD on low? I have sporadic issues regardless of the source when lot of movement/changes are visible in the movie (e.g. battle scenes in Hobbit 3). The picture stutter sometimes during these scenes. This is not reproducable and occurs not ebery time on the same scene.
To me it looks like the CMD sometimes drops a frame while trying to calculate the additional frames.

#100 ·
wolfPack HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 Converter i bought one

I bought this over the weekend and i can get 4k through any source without having to buy a new receiver.. wolfPack HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 Converter

I have it set up with the rs400 and man the youtube 4k videos are crazy nice.. eshift has nothing when you can connect the projector to a 4k signal..

#105 ·
I bought this over the weekend and i can get 4k through any source without having to buy a new receiver.. wolfPack HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 Converter

I have it set up with the rs400 and man the youtube 4k videos are crazy nice.. eshift has nothing when you can connect the projector to a 4k signal..
So even though the RS400 is a native 1080p projector, the image quality of a 4k source is superior to a 1080p source? The 4k source quality does not get downgraded to 1080p quality?

#102 ·
Does anyone here have some comparison thoughts between the RS400 and the 4910? X550 vs X500?

I have the 4910 and I love it but I would love to have a projector that is great in 3d and the 4910 is just fine. Too dark for me and too much crosstalk.

Moving to HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 is a plus, obviously.

I have a 170" 2.35:1 Carada BW screen approximagely 18' from the projector in a batcave, and the light is good enough for 2d and barely passable in 3d in high lamp. I know plenty of people on the forum would say no way, but I am happy with it.

I figure the RS400 would be great light for that size screen for 2d and 3d- plus with the iris closed down I would probably get better blacks.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks.

#103 · (Edited)
The main benefits will be increased light output, much improved 3D and the ability to play 4K BD. Contrast will not be a big improvement. At the same light output on your big screen, Contrast would be better on the 400, but I suspect that you will want to run higher lumens and in that case, contrast will probably be about the same as what you get currently. With that said, yes I think it will be a nice upgrade, especially due to the size and gain of your screen. Sent you an email.

#104 ·
This Saturday will be picking up X550r model and will do a full calibration using ChromaPure Standard with i1 Display Pro coloremeter, I'll dump report results at this topic as well when completed, also will post other results with new lamp replaced on X500r model would be good to see the contrast results and ftL values.

#108 · (Edited)
UPGRADED from my Epson 5030UB projector to the JVC DLA-X550R to handle up-converted Blu-rays and the soon to be released UHD 4K Blu-ray discs.

I produce the High-def Watch blog for The Virginian-Pilot newspaper Feature site and will be reviewing UHD 4K discs.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: The gray scale uniformity on the X550R is 200% better than the Epson. At this point no hint of color shift from left to right or top to bottom. The Epson and previous Sanyo LCD projectors I've had never produced an even gray scale. Those projectors cost much less.

The color accuracy on the JVC far superior. Overall clarity much better, and a major benefit with the lens position memory since I have a 2.05:1 aspect ratio screen. I zoom the image to fill the horizontal width for 2.35:1 and 2.20:1 films. And the overall contrast and highlights are excellent. Much deeper black level and the ability to produce a larger spectrum of white without the highlights being blown out is the best I've seen.

ONE ISSUE
at this point.

When I output via my OPPO BDP‑103 using the players 4K up-convert for Blu-rays the projector recognizes the signal as 4K 3840/24f, which is good, but for some reason its automatically processing the image with motion Blur control - giving it that soap opera video look. Within the setups the Motion Blur is off. I hate that blur control. I want to see the 24f look. When I send a traditional 1080p/24f signal and the projector in the 4K e-shift mode the projector doesn't process the image with any motion blur. I keep the motion blur in the off position.

So, I'm concern how will 4K discs be processed with the motion blur. I've preordered the Samsung UHD 4K Blu-ray player and will be getting the UHD discs.

ANY THOUGHTS or FIXES?

#113 ·

ONE ISSUE
at this point.

When I output via my OPPO BDP‑103 using the players 4K up-convert for Blu-rays the projector recognizes the signal as 4K 3840/24f, which is good, but for some reason its automatically processing the image with motion Blur control - giving it that soap opera video look. Within the setups the Motion Blur is off. I hate that blur control. I want to see the 24f look. When I send a traditional 1080p/24f signal and the projector in the 4K e-shift mode the projector doesn't process the image with any motion blur. I keep the motion blur in the off position.

So, I'm concern how will 4K discs be processed with the motion blur. I've preordered the Samsung UHD 4K Blu-ray player and will be getting the UHD discs.

ANY THOUGHTS or FIXES?
I've heard of this, but never seen it. Apparently, the fix is to turn on MCD and then turn it off again. Seems the PJ is turning it on, even though is says it's off

#110 ·
Can someone who calibrated his rs400/ 550R share their settings?

I am still waiting for a pro to calibrate mine so in the meantime i would like to play with other's settings.

#115 ·
Can someone who calibrated his rs400/ 550R share their settings?
I am still waiting for a pro to calibrate mine so in the meantime i would like to play with other's settings.
>>>Chad B

#111 ·
Figured out my harmony problem. To those using eshift, on my unit if I turn eshift on I can hear a change in noise coming from the projector. It gets slightly louder, not sure if it's the fan of some other mechanical noise. If I turn eshift off its whisper quiet again. If this isn't normal I need to get an exchange.

#116 ·
An RS400 can do around 86% of DCI color space.

#117 ·
Hello there at the moment i need to put the JVC further away to get the picture on my screen filled.

But i cant and i am already at max zoom.

Now i can rearange my room and put everything the other way around and make a hole in the wall to put the projector further away.

But then i need to hang the screen almost on the ground(a couple off inches)

Is this even watchable? My eyes are on the centre of the screen then.

the screen is 105 inch

#118 ·
A little lost here. A 105" screen has a viewing height of about 52", so unless your room is only 5' tall, the screen should not have to be a couple inches from the floor. First, what is the depth of your room, so that we can see what size screen will work? Also what is the ceiling height of your room?

#123 ·
I just steamed mission impossible from ultraflix through the roku 4 and I'm still in shocked at how good this thing looks.. not just good but absolutely amazing.. its like the first time you see high def.. Now i will never watch a 1080p movie again..
So roku 4 now has ultraflix? That is awesome.