AVS Forum banner

2461 - 2480 of 3060 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I received a x570 yesterday, and when running the xbox one s in 4k hdr, I am 70% of the time getting pure static snow, and 30% of the time getting a working screen but filled with speckles all over the screen.

Receiver: yamaha rx-a1070

HDMI cable receiver to projector: C&E High-Speed HDMI Cable - 25 Feet, Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return, UltraHD 4K Ready
HDMI cable xbox to receiver: Tried 2. The first was the cable that came with the Xbox One S. The second was 4K HDMI Cable/HDMI Cord (6 feet / 6 ft, HDMI to HDMI, TOP Series) by KabelDirekt

I read about other people having success going with the Monoprice Certified cables, so I will lean towards ordering 2 of them. Any other thoughts or help?

edit: forgot to test the direct connection from xbox to pj. it works fine that way, but still would like it to work through the receiver.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
So @ munnlete , it sounds like you have an issue with the cable from the receiver to the projector, is that correct? Since you hooked the XBOX directly to projector, and had no issues.
I do not see anything that it is premium certified:
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115428-Certified-Premium-18Gbps/dp/B07D7JTTNR/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539891590&sr=1-1&keywords=monoprice+certified+premium+high+speed+hdmi+cable,+4k+60hz&th=1

I had issue as well at first, but once I got a certified premium cable, no problems since.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So @ munnlete , it sounds like you have an issue with the cable from the receiver to the projector, is that correct? Since you hooked the XBOX directly to projector, and had no issues.
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-115428-Certified-Premium-18Gbps/dp/B07D7JTTNR/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539891590&sr=1-1&keywords=monoprice+certified+premium+high+speed+hdmi+cable,+4k+60hz&th=1

I had issue as well at first, but once I got a certified premium cable, no problems since.
Thanks, I ordered a couple.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Glad to hear @Viper359 , and agree that @Javs curves made a big difference in my viewing once I downloaded them. I was overwhelmed as I had a few errors(operator errors) but once I got them loaded from the laptop, and then cycle between the 1200 and 4000 nits, I could really see the difference. So worth the effort with Javs curves!
I agree, what a night and day difference. I was actually kind of surprised by such a difference. Low lamp mode, and it looks fantastic. Mind you, My beamer is only 13.5-14 feet from my 120" screen, but wow

·
Registered
235 Posts
I purchased this cable, and works fine for me so far. It's from Amazon Canada, but figured it may help someone.

Monoprice Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, HDR, 25ft Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06X3QDY4M/

·
Registered
794 Posts
Glad to hear @Viper359 , and agree that @Javs curves made a big difference in my viewing once I downloaded them. I was overwhelmed as I had a few errors(operator errors) but once I got them loaded from the laptop, and then cycle between the 1200 and 4000 nits, I could really see the difference. So worth the effort with Javs curves!
What are these javs curves? I’m sub 100 hours on my pj so haven’t gotten back into diy calibration yet... another rabbit hole I’ve managed to avoid for the last 4-5years since I started learning it for my last JVC pj.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Click on @Javs and see his signature for a direct link to his curves, install instructions et. I am running v3 1000 and 4000 nits

·
Registered
45 Posts
Any recommendations on calibration settings for this projector? I am helping my brother with his new x570 but we don't have any fancy calibration equipment. Any help on settings would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Recommended HDR settings for RS420

Note: For models with Gamma D (RS400/500/600; x550/x750/x950) see the recommended settings here:

The RS420 added HDR Picture Mode with ST2084 gamma, which is much better than Gamma D on the RS400. However, depending on your screen size, the default settings may not be optimal. Custom curves can provide a big improvement, but if you’re not ready to get into that, here are some suggested settings grouped by screen size and mastering nits.

These are based on my own measurements done on the RS420 (x570), trying to match custom curves as closely as achievable using the 3 controls. They should work equally well on the RS520/620, and even the RSx40 assuming JVC did not change the ST.2084 implementation in the newer projectors. Feedbacks are welcome.

Different settings are recommended for the mastering nits; you can use the 2000-nit settting if you don’t want to be bothered with switching. Note: only change the White settings, not the individual R/G/B settings.

Note: if you’ve never run autocal, the projector most likely will have developed some “gamma droop”, in which case you may want to reduce Picture Tone and Dark Level by one click.

The three numbers listed are for Picture Tone, Dark Level, Bright Level respectively.

Small screens (90” or less). You can get around 140 nits peak using a new bulb.
4000: 1, 5, -1
2000: 1, 5, 0
1000: 1, 5, 1

Average screens (100-120”), 100 nits peak
4000: 3, 7, -3
2000: 3, 7, -2
1000: 3, 7, 1

Large screens (>120”), 70 nits peak
4000: N/A (cannot avoid clipping while producing good brightness; just use the 2000 nit settings.).
2000: 10, 4, -7
1000: 10, 4, -5

·
Registered
48 Posts

I received them and the Monoprice cables solved the flickering/snow problem. Another probably unrelated note is that when trying to launch games with HDR enabled on my (non Pro model) PS4, I get the "Green or purple saturated screen". I could've sworn though that this was not a problem when I got the PJ a couple days ago, but only started when I updated ps4 software last night. Perhaps it tweaked some sort of HDR setting. It's also possible that the software update was the first time there'd been a "hard close" on my ps4 system since the new PJ, therefore HDR was never enabled up until that point. Either way, HDR is being screwy. Thoughts?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Any recommendations on calibration settings for this projector? I am helping my brother with his new x570 but we don't have any fancy calibration equipment. Any help on settings would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Refer to the 1st page of this thread which has the recommended settings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Refer to the 1st page of this thread which has the recommended settings.
Where at? I've looked and nobody posts their settings.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The RS420 added HDR Picture Mode with ST2084 gamma, which is much better than Gamma D on the RS400.
However, depending on your screen size, the default settings may not be optimal. Custom curves can provide a big improvement, but if you’re not ready to get into that, here are some suggested settings grouped by screen size and mastering nits.

These are based on my own measurements, trying to match custom curves as closely as achievable using the 3 controls. Feedbacks are welcome.

Different settings are recommended for the mastering nits; you can use the 2000-nit settting if you don’t want to be bothered with switching. Note: only change the White settings, not the individual R/G/B settings.

Note: if you’ve never run autocal, the projector most likely will have developed some “gamma droop”, in which case you may want to reduce Picture Tone and Dark Level by one click.

The three numbers listed are for Picture Tone, Dark Level, Bright Level respectively.

Small screens (90” or less). You can get around 140 nits peak using a new bulb.
4000: 1, 5, -1
2000: 1, 5, 0
1000: 1, 5, 1

Average screens (100-120”), 100 nits peak
4000: 3, 7, -3
2000: 3, 7, -2
1000: 3, 7, 1

Large screens (>120”), 70 nits peak
4000: N/A (cannot avoid clipping while producing good brightness; just use the 2000 nit settings.).
2000: 10, 4, -7
1000: 10, 4, -5
I’m new to Jvc, where do you go to change this?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Somewhat of a silly question.

I have a RS420 and would like to try out MadVRs SDR2020 capabilities. Does anyone know of a how-to guide (or similar) on how to set MadVR up for our projectors?

I have it configured correctly to play using MPC-HC, there’s just so many image quality options to choose from that it’s a bit overwhelming.

Sorry if this has been covered.

·
Registered
235 Posts
What is the best way to ensure USER2 is always selected for HDR 4K content. Sometimes, with my Nvidia Shield, it defaults the just HDR, instead of the customer USER2 input with the custom curves.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
What is the best way to ensure USER2 is always selected for HDR 4K content. Sometimes, with my Nvidia Shield, it defaults the just HDR, instead of the customer USER2 input with the custom curves.
The projector always switches to the HDR Picture mode when detecting HDR metadata. Just set up you HDR Mode the same way as your User2.

2461 - 2480 of 3060 Posts